Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup
07.16.2015 , 11:00 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Treek seems to have an automatic AoE taunt that we don't see built right into her tank stance. I've heard tell of people who take her to fight grey world bosses, and they just slam away on her even as she stands there cowering (note I haven't tried this personally). She doesn't seem to have to do anything active to generate threat. Very convenient against CC as well as preventing the taunt waste other tank companions are subject to.

What's the word on tank companions in DPS gear/stance? Last time people did parses back in the pre-Yavin days the report was that that setup was about equivalent to the RDPS companions. I'm curious to see if that's still the case.
I know Treek's AOEs have a high threat, I don't think she has an actual AOE taunt though. She is definitely one of the better tanks and although you can't see it, I suspect her single taunt has a lower cooldown than others. I have not tested yet though.

I just did some testing and Xalek does about 1030, so very similar to rDPS.
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
My companion parses over 5k dps in HM Star Fortress, does yours?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

roupe
07.26.2015 , 11:58 PM | #62
Thanks for the nice guide, very well done.

I play a trooper, so my only companion with a dot stance is Yuun.

But I've read Yuun is bugged and has force attacks which do not scale with his Aim main stat.

So, what would be your advice? Should I be still using Yuun, or should I use Tanno Vik instead (the only other melee dps)? Or just scr*w it and use Elara / Treek healer ?

Thanks in advance.

KevMeup
07.27.2015 , 10:34 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by roupe View Post
Thanks for the nice guide, very well done.

I play a trooper, so my only companion with a dot stance is Yuun.

But I've read Yuun is bugged and has force attacks which do not scale with his Aim main stat.

So, what would be your advice? Should I be still using Yuun, or should I use Tanno Vik instead (the only other melee dps)? Or just scr*w it and use Elara / Treek healer ?

Thanks in advance.
I will do testing when I get a chance. I would still lean towards Yuun though. His weapon damage would still be high, even with reduced skill damage. I'd be surprised if this bug was still around, I don't notice it with others like Ensign Temple's force blast still hits fairly hard.

If it's not his dots that are effected by this bug, it's possible to disable some skills and augment with alacrity to keep him using optimal ones more often.

roupe
07.27.2015 , 01:30 PM | #64
Indeed, disabling bugged spells is a great idea . Looking forward to your conclusions when they are done (take your time, i'm not in a hurry )

Thanks again for your efforts.

KevMeup
07.26.2016 , 12:46 PM | #65
Guide updated! New Tips, New Parses, Bug List and handy links.

Sorry for taking so long, I took a break from swtor and the removal of companion gear annoyed me for a long time

If ya'll get any new parse data, bugs or other info you'd like me to add let me know.

KevMeup
08.01.2016 , 04:25 PM | #66
So... As an evil Sith Imp I'm really frustrated by the DvL companion choices. Sure, having a darth maul looking companion would be awesome walking around the fleet, but being a companion parsing snob, I'd never use him in battle.

1mil damage on the fleet operations dummy:
Level 50 Veeroa Denz, 4150 (DVL Light Choice)
Level 50 Hemdil Tre, 3900
Level 50 T4-1D Droid, 3600
Level 50 Xalek, 3600 (DVL Dark Choice)

I think it's too late for them to make any changes. Hopefully in the future they'll offer equal rewards for events like this.

KevMeup
08.08.2016 , 04:54 PM | #67
4.7 has a couple helpful updates:
Players can now use the Companion Locator Terminal in the Alliance Base Camp to regain Companions which became unavailable due to The Fallen Empire storyline. You must complete Chapter XVI before this option is available. Note that the terminal does not allow you to regain Companions which were guests (such as Darth Marr).

Visual Bug fixes:
Attack effects no longer fire from the feet of Annihilator T4-1D.
M1-4Xs Quick Kolto Burst now fires from his cannon instead of his chest, which he considers a marked improvement.

phalczen
08.24.2016 , 06:30 AM | #68
Thanks for this thread, I just happened to come across one of your posts and saw your signature. I found the guide really helpful. While some of the information might be considered spoilers, it might be good to emphasize in the guide which companions are likely not to be taken away from us, and therefore safer choices to rank up to influence 50. Not every player will have Niko, for example, or the cartel companions, or the DvL companion next year after the event is over, but they can all get access to Veeroa or Hemdil or Lokin.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

LadyDarkkitten
08.24.2016 , 07:38 AM | #69
Wow I can't believe this isn't stickied! thank alot for the work you put into this!
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

KevMeup
08.24.2016 , 04:22 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Thanks for this thread, I just happened to come across one of your posts and saw your signature. I found the guide really helpful. While some of the information might be considered spoilers, it might be good to emphasize in the guide which companions are likely not to be taken away from us, and therefore safer choices to rank up to influence 50. Not every player will have Niko, for example, or the cartel companions, or the DvL companion next year after the event is over, but they can all get access to Veeroa or Hemdil or Lokin.
I'm glad it helped! I've been thinking that also, I'll see if I can find a good way to word it.