Problems with Marauder PvP

HeCTiCLOB

This is not a thread about how good or bad the class is. Its not a thread about my own nor anyone else's personal skill with the class. Its not a thread about crying or praising. If thats what you're looking for, stop reading right now.

1. Disruption.

This ability is supposed to be an "instant" cast. Why is it that this ability can not be used until a previously used ability has finished playing out its animation? Waiting 2-3 swings on a normal attack before being able to use this ability can be the difference between a kill and a 5k heal.

2. Top Level - Huttball

This is a major concern. As a Marauder, the only way we can be effective is by point blank contact. Charging the ball-carrier on the top platform only to be thrown off to the bottom floor time and time again makes us completely useless. We don't have ranged abilities. This is not fun. This is not enjoyable. Perhaps an ability that keeps us grounded for 5 secs and/or slows our speed as a result? Perhaps anyone we have in a force choke pulls our target down with us?

3. Crippling Slash

See problem #1. Same rules apply. This ability should be able to be used immediately after a force charge. The slow speed should also be debated as well. Something is broken when classes have the ability to slow a marauder and press nothing more than the backwards key to very easily prevent a marauder from reaching them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The marauder class is only decent if it can connect onto a target.

The problem is, particularly in huttball, that this is very difficult to do. Hutt Ball is so imbalanced for Marauders, that I sometimes leave the game instantly upon going into it. I hate it that much.

Controversially, on a Sniper, it's far more enjoyable. And if you're an OP Chara-I mean Sorc- then go ahead and suck because you'll still do better than anyone with less than quadruple your PvP experience.

Hutt Ball in general is a pile of dung and there needs to be an option to not be stuck playing it. If given the option, I would disable Hutt Ball (in fact, for any class, it's just dumb, just that Marauder makes this even less bearable).

If you're going to have every class in the game have such spammable knockbacks, then why is Hutt Ball's map layout so anti-Melee? At least Operatives/Assassins (and mirror classes) have stealth to break the gap without anyone knowing. For us, it's either walk forever while being shot at, or charge in and get knocked back.

On top of that, you can get knocked back while charging BEFORE you ever hit your target.

Dumb balancing is dumb.

EDIT: Did I mention that if you Charge over an air vent that it de-syncs your character and you cannot do ANYTHING until you either Charge to another character or simply die?

Yeah, it's horse dung.

Edited by Spiderbubble

This is not a thread about how good or bad the class is. Its not a thread about my own nor anyone else's personal skill with the class. Its not a thread about crying or praising. If thats what you're looking for, stop reading right now.

1. Disruption.

This ability is supposed to be an "instant" cast. Why is it that this ability can not be used until a previously used ability has finished playing out its animation? Waiting 2-3 swings on a normal attack before being able to use this ability can be the difference between a kill and a 5k heal.

2. Top Level - Huttball

This is a major concern. As a Marauder, the only way we can be effective is by point blank contact. Charging the ball-carrier on the top platform only to be thrown off to the bottom floor time and time again makes us completely useless. We don't have ranged abilities. This is not fun. This is not enjoyable. Perhaps an ability that keeps us grounded for 5 secs and/or slows our speed as a result? Perhaps anyone we have in a force choke pulls our target down with us?

3. Crippling Slash

See problem #1. Same rules apply. This ability should be able to be used immediately after a force charge. The slow speed should also be debated as well. Something is broken when classes have the ability to slow a marauder and press nothing more than the backwards key to very easily prevent a marauder from reaching them.

Disruption

IS instant cast and is NOT on the global, if you can't manage to make it work then its user error, sorry. I have never once had an issue using it, I've kicked heals mid animation on almost every ability and I can tell you for a fact it works perfectly fine. If you notice it not going off , I would say there is a better than not chance that you did not have enough rage for it. If you notice it happening mostly when you use assault then that is almost 100% the reason.

In fact you can actually use it to cancel longer animations just like you can with retal. Granted it's pointless to do so unless you're using it to stop a cast, however it does work.

Huttball

Again, user error. You need to learn how to position yourself properly, unless I'm being careless I rarely get knocked off of any platform or into any hazard. If you charge up and stand between that person and the edge you deserve to be knocked off for your carelessness. If it's not fun being knocked off so much then fix your mistakes and you'll have a lot more fun. You really can't complain when 90% of the time it's your fault if you get knocked off.

Crippling Slash

It IS usable immediately after a force charge, you only have a 1.5s global to deal with. Depending on how far away the person you charge is ,you have at least 1 second of flight time. Not to mention the fact that FC roots the person for 2 seconds, if you cant manage to snare them in the 2 seconds they are rooted then again...its user error.

The ONLY thing out of all three things you mentioned that I even remotely agree on, and cant tell you for a fact that its your fault is the %snare of crip slash. However, it is far from bad the way it is, would I like to see a 70% snare...sure...do we need it? No.

It sounds like you need to take a minute and re-evaluate what you're doing, you can fix your own problems.

The marauder class is only decent if it can connect onto a target.

On top of that, you can get knocked back while charging BEFORE you ever hit your target.

EDIT: Did I mention that if you Charge over an air vent that it de-syncs your character and you cannot do ANYTHING until you either Charge to another character or simply die?

Besides those two things , which are correct and indeed pretty stupid (ive had to /stuck kill myself to many times, that being said it's not hard to pay attention to and avoid) I'll tell you the same thing as the OP. 90% of it is your fault and you can fix it.

Huttball is NOT anti melee, it's anti careless and anti 0 situational awareness.

Marauders have more than enough to do consistently well in any form of PvP this game has to offer. MOST people playing them don't care to take the time to learn what they're doing wrong and how they can fix it. They just want to run in , smack their face on the keyboard and be rewarded for it.

Disruption

IS instant cast and is NOT on the global, if you can't manage to make it work then its user error, sorry. I have never once had an issue using it, I've kicked heals mid animation on almost every ability and I can tell you for a fact it works perfectly fine. If you notice it not going off , I would say there is a better than not chance that you did not have enough rage for it. If you notice it happening mostly when you use assault then that is almost 100% the reason.

In fact you can actually use it to cancel longer animations just like you can with retal. Granted it's pointless to do so unless you're using it to stop a cast, however it does work.

Huttball

Again, user error. You need to learn how to position yourself properly, unless I'm being careless I rarely get knocked off of any platform or into any hazard. If you charge up and stand between that person and the edge you deserve to be knocked off for your carelessness. If it's not fun being knocked off so much then fix your mistakes and you'll have a lot more fun. You really can't complain when 90% of the time it's your fault if you get knocked off.

Crippling Slash

It IS usable immediately after a force charge, you only have a 1.5s global to deal with. Depending on how far away the person you charge is ,you have at least 1 second of flight time. Not to mention the fact that FC roots the person for 2 seconds, if you cant manage to snare them in the 2 seconds they are rooted then again...its user error.

The ONLY thing out of all three things you mentioned that I even remotely agree on, and cant tell you for a fact that its your fault is the %snare of crip slash. However, it is far from bad the way it is, would I like to see a 70% snare...sure...do we need it? No.

It sounds like you need to take a minute and re-evaluate what you're doing, you can fix your own problems.

have to agree with this poster, most of the problems u are listing are user errors. once i started positioning myself properly (after charge u have the time for that) i have not ONCE been knocked down intentionally at hutball.

Problem comes when your opponents are good enough to reposition themselves quickly and knock of knockback. Which is the case on my server... If they get any angle on you then you're off the ledge.

You'll still manage to pull down some hurt on their asses, but then you'll be dead due to ranged being so much better overall.

The real problem for Marauders comes from the fact that most ranged have easy to use almost free ranged slows, proc-based of their free ranged attack in some cases, and when you close the distance you're KBed and rooted, then slowed, then stunned.

Way to much CC in this game... Would help if Resolve actually made you immune to ALL CC, not just stuns, and potentially KBs, Resolve rarely seems to be working anyway.

I do find it very bad though that Powertechs get a free to use to use Disruption with equal cooldown. Marauder Disruption should not have a Rage cost...

Disruption

Huttball

Crippling Slash

There is always a poster like this Jerk.

Bro, none of us think you are good. We know you can reposition to try and prevent a knockback from sending you off a catwalk.

Bro, but you saying that it works for you every single time. No way Bro. You hear me Bro? No way Bro.

I don't understand why the community hurts itself like this. Every time a poster has some very valid points about the class. There is always some Bro that has to try to impress to the internet community that he is the #1 Bro - and never has any of these issues.

/sigh

Good post though, OP.

Getting knocked off is preventable, some will still get you, some wont. I dont have a problem with it where I would actually complain about it, because I know most of the time If i had of moved a bit better I wouldn't be back down, Most times I can get back up and still kill them anyway.

Dont be afraid to fear if you need to position.

Crippling slash, I dont even use it, theres no need.

I dont see the problem with disruption, I guess my ping makes me immune from the problem.(190 im aussie on us server).

Bro, none of us think you are good. We know you can reposition to try and prevent a knockback from sending you off a catwalk.

Bro, but you saying that it works for you every single time. No way Bro. You hear me Bro? No way Bro.

I don't understand why the community hurts itself like this. Every time a poster has some very valid points about the class. There is always some Bro that has to try to impress to the internet community that he is the #1 Bro - and never has any of these issues.

/sigh

Good post though, OP.

While i dont think marauder is perfect, I agree that if you are getting thrown off a catwalk, its your own fault. I've leveled 2 Marauders and 1 Sentinel (server switching to play with friends) and never have any problems in huttball. I get the top (or close to) kills/dmg along with some caps. Truthfully i think huttball is the best warzone of the 3. It requires situational awareness and not just RAWR I HIT YOU AND YOU DIE!. People complain about it too much, usually because they fail to take the time to look around at where they/their enemy are or whats going on around them.

Also disrupt works just fine for me and as someone else said i dont use crippling slash. With immobilize effects and my run speed i dont really find a need.

Edited by Setehk

Rather than acknowledge the people who feel the need to advertise their superior skills on a forum, let me pose a question....

If theres 3 classes with knockback ability on the top floor, which one do you adjust your position for? :rolleyes:

I wont even address the other responses because again, I could care less about your personal skill.

I think the issue with disruption is the animation not the effect. The interrupt happens right away but you won't see the animation until after you have finished your current ability's animation. Crippling slash has the same issue.

Also take the knockback if you can't avoid it, it's free resolve, hide out under the platform for a couple seconds if you get knocked off and leap back to the top and be thankful you aren't an operative.

Edited by Anrix

Rather than acknowledge the people who feel the need to advertise their superior skills on a forum, let me pose a question....

If theres 3 classes with knockback ability on the top floor, which one do you adjust your position for? :rolleyes:

The merc/commando typically as they have a snare on their's by default. Sorc/sage can spec a root but it's not always something they have.

1. Disruption.

2. Top Level - Huttball

3. Crippling Slash

DUDE JUST GOT RAGE SPEC! NOT SAYING ITS THE TOP SPEC OR ANYTHING BUT IF YOU GO RAGE YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER SPELL LIKE FORCE LEAP AND YOU CAN JUST JUMP BACK UP TO HIM.... PROBLEM SOLVED. Give it a shot;)

I wont even address the other responses because again, I could care less about your personal skill.

The answer is the person closest to you. If they have the whole platform covered then try to line yourself with the center as they approach. After two knockbacks you should be immune, hell I'd bet after one you'd be immune because one of the three is probably going to stun you for no reason at all. I'd even go so far as saying the other two will try to chain stun you not realizing your resolve bar is full or counting down after a stun and knockback making you immune.

DUDE JUST GOT RAGE SPEC! NOT SAYING ITS THE TOP SPEC OR ANYTHING BUT IF YOU GO RAGE YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER SPELL LIKE FORCE LEAP AND YOU CAN JUST JUMP BACK UP TO HIM.... PROBLEM SOLVED. Give it a shot;)

Obliterate has a 10m range, I don't think it will get you back on top of a platform if you get knocked off.

*SIGH*

Yet another 'Marauders Suck' post. Even if you try to position it otherwise, this is essentially what it is. And, as is pointed out above, none of your complaints are legitimate. You can deny it, you can ignore it, you can seek confirmation from the others like you who do not play the class correctly, but these issues are your fault.

No class has a counter for EVERY situation that arises. Your job, as with any class, is to avoid bad situations and maximize your ability in good ones. It's called s.t.r.a.t.e.g.y.

Disrupt is not instant cast...lol. Wow.

The problems you are having with disruption are either that you didnt have enough rage or the ability is not able to be interrupted. Snipers have some of these and ive noticed there are certain times sorcs do too.

Snipers can't be interrupted at all if behind cover. So yea, if that's what's attempted to be interrupted it won't work at all. Commandos/Mercs can make their absorb shield give them interrupt immunity as well.

Sage or sorc. You charge the squishy, fear them, beat him down. If they break free and knock you down you have burnt a second or so off your charge. so you can get back up.

Realistically though, you should have 5 other options to charge in a normal round, if those 3 are left and your really worried about knock back, let your range take care of them. At least let them get focused on something else.

Also were not here to go "hey bro we got mad skills" we are here saying that the problems your facing do have solutions that dont require changes to the class.

Edited by Carbonated

Positioning does help prevent you getting knocked off a lot less often. Sometimes you will get knocked off, it happens to everyone. Put your back against a beam, another object, or line yourself up with platform you are on, so you land on it again.

Slow the person while you are on them. This should allow your charge to come off cooldown so you can start bashing them again. If you are getting hosed while you are on the ground use your abilities to minimize the damage. You have 4-5 to choose from so something should be available.

Do not forget about the health bonuses laying around either. I eat these things like candy.

1. Disruption.

2. Top Level - Huttball

3. Crippling Slash

Disruption can be used off the GCD, dont know what your talking about not being able to use it. It does cost Rage... Also you may be experiencing Ability Lag. I find I cannot intuerrpt a Healer if they are already 3/4 done casting. My disrupt just wont hit in time.

Stop charging first on Huttball. Learn to move around the Warzone with your own feet. Your a melee in a Ranged favored Warzone. Get use to it.

I think your problem is your experiencing Ability lag. Its something we all had to get use too.

If theres 3 classes with knockback ability on the top floor, which one do you adjust your position for?

1. The one that will use their knockback.

2. All of them.

Duh?

Oh no, three people with CC and you got CC'd ... awwwww.

BUT THAT IS A VERY CLEVER QUESTION SPHINX-SAN; DO YOU HAVE MORE RIDDLES TO TEST US WITH? CAN I BE YOUR BRO?

/sigh

Good post though, OP.

These aren't valid points though "Bro." Your failure to see that his issues revolve around the OP's lack of understanding on how those abilities work. But in your world everyone is right, so head up to your local Staples and pick up an Easy button for this class. ****