Which Class, for being useful in groups?

MacroPhotoFly

I casually play LOTRO. It was my first MMO and I have a pure DPS character (lvl55) which was good, but I found was not very valuable for group instances (i.e. groups always needed a tank or healer or wizard, never a basic DPS). I also feel I've been left behind by LOTRO as everyone who wants to do instances there needs an end-game level character, so time to move on!

I really like playing in group so I would like to know which class I should be for being useful to join group instances. I've had a try as a Sith Inquisitor to lvl 9 which allowed me to know I will like SWTOR, but I'm about to move server to Daborra (as I'm in Asia) and I think i would prefer Republic this time (unless you persuade me that Dalborra is desperately in need of me on the dark side!)

So in summary, which class would be good for,

-Group play

-on Dalborra (Asia server)

-Not too squishy as this is only my second/third MMO character

-Republic

-A bit more interesting/challenging than a straight DPS ?

Thanks for the help

Edited by MacroPhotoFly
forgot to subscribe/turn on e-mail

Once you get to level 10 in SWTOR you are able to choose an Advanced Class (there are 2 for each class). Since there are 4 Base Classes for each faction, there are 8 different Advanced Classes. Every Advanced Class has the option to go full DPS, but most of them can also focus on healing or tanking as well. I will break them down for you!

Jedi Knight-

AC1: Sentinel (2 Lightsabers, DPS only)

AC2: Guardian (1 Lightsaber and a Shield or Generator, DPS or Tanking)

Jedi Consular-

AC1: Sage (1 Lightsaber, DPS or Healing)

AC2: Shadow (Dual-bladed lightsaber with stealth, DPS or Tank)

Smuggler-

AC1: Gunslinger (2 Blaster Pistols, DPS only)

AC2: Scoundrel (1 Pistol with stealth, DPS or Healing)

Trooper-

AC1: Vanguard (Blaster Rifle and a shield or generator, DPS or Tank)

AC2: Commando (Assault Cannon, DPS or Healing)

As you can see, you have a lot of options and all of them are good. Since a Flashpoint Group usually needs 1 Tank, 1 Healer, and 2 DPS, even running a DPS only Advanced Class you will still be needed in big group missions. The Advanced Classes for the Empire have the same layout as these, only different names. Check out the Holonet on this website if you want more information!

Edited by OmySpy

-Group play

-on Dalborra (Asia server)

-Not too squishy as this is only my second/third MMO character

-Republic

-A bit more interesting/challenging than a straight DPS ?

Thanks for the help

As for your other questions, I can't say what is most lacking on your particular server, but I recommend you try one of the Advanced Classes that can tank (on Republic I prefer the Trooper Vanguard for this purpose). You will be very hardy, get a bunch of sweet weapons, and in groups you can focus on protecting your team and soaking up all the damage.

Great advice - many thanks for both posts. The Vanguard does sound interesting, and I may go that way. Just flicking round a few websites of Guilds on Dalborra they seem to already be "full" on that character. I've decided I don't want to do Jedi Knight as its not me. Scoundrel, Sage, Shadow and Commando seem to be more "open" on the guild WS I've skimmed.

Any thoughts on these vs Vanguard?

Anyone on Dalborra with advice? (greatfully received)

Edited by MacroPhotoFly
Mistake in what I wrote

I haven't played Scoundrels, Sages, or Shadows very much, but if you're at all interested in being able to become invisible, Scoundrels and Shadows can be very fun. They have powerful attacks you can only use on an enemy's back, and they have a mix of close range and long range moves. Scoundrels can heal, while Shadows can choose to tank, as I said before. Sages are long range casters, who can either heal or use their force powers from far away. They will be less durable than other classes, while a Shadow (if you play tanky) will be the hardiest.

If you enjoy the storylines in this game, the Sage/Shadow has to track down an unknown enemy who is attacking people with his mind. The Scoundrel chases a thief across the galaxy and tries to find treasure, while making clever jokes along the way. Try whichever one sounds best to you, and you can always play both kinds of characters if you can't decide!

Greetings everyone!

We just want to thank OmySpy for taking the time to give such constructive advice to MacroPhotoFly's question! We always love to see the community help each other!

Have a great day! :jawa_biggrin:

I've enjoyed being a sentinel, I think alot of people like me who haven't played Mmo's alot have chosen it for there first character because of course you have two lightsabers!

Of course at times with any character you'll get annoyed that someone's being helpful in flashpoints by going invisible and stunning people however if you master your play with a sentinel it's a very enjoyable class. You'll also find if your the right level for a quest and your geared up how you should be you'll sail through!

I might be very biased I've invested everything in him and feel making another character will be to time consuming.

Good luck with your choice!

Chiffer, I have to agree with you in many ways. I still love my 2-handed sword-swinging Champion from LOTRO. For my first MMO it taught me a lot, and I loved how you could get right into every fight. I'm sure the Sentinel gives that same pure thrill (i) especially when solo'ing or (ii) if you are in a steady group that wants to instance with you regularly. As a bit more of a social player who relies on a random people in the same area to instance with, I found it helped if you had an extra skill the group needed - in some ways I guess I am now happy to have slightly less raw fun in battle in exchange for being in more group battles (because I'm wanted) ?!?

Omy - TY again - that third post has got my mind thinking about what is more "me" from the storyline. If I went with the Vanguard, what is the summary character story type for them?

I'd definitely suggest taking one of the tank/dps ACs if you want to always be able to bring something the group needs. Vanguards, Shadows and Guardians are all very solid as Tanks and also very solid as DPS so you have a lot of flexibility when it comes to role. My server seems to have far too many healers and unfortunately the DPS trees of many of the healer ACs are currently a little bit lacking although Sage DPS is definitely still fine - especially for PVE.

I'm now with you Aetou (thank you for the post) and taking OmySpys points too, I've narrowed down my choice to Vanguards or Shadows for becoming a Tank.

I just found this comparison. Anyone alse have views between the two?

2) Vangaurd -

Dmg mitigation: Medium

Dps ability: Medium

Risk of Enrage timer: Medium

Mobility: Medium, the best gap closer against melee mobs

Threat problems: When grouped with melee DPS

Difficulty to play well: Easiest

Difficulty to gear well: Easiest

Best Healer to pair with: Seer, makes them almost invincible.

Character flaws: Often lose threat on big mobs trying to pull a weak away from a DPS player who is about to kill it.

SHINING MOMENT - when they pull an enemy to them, and the dps instantly burn it down.

3) Shadow -

Dmg mitigation: Worst

Dps ability: Best

Risk of Enrage timer: Lowest

Mobility: Highest

Threat problems: Few

Difficulty to play well: Medium

Difficulty to gear well: Hardest

Best Healer to pair with: Scoundrel, because the ambush possibilities could be endless.

Character flaws: They forget that no one else has a stealth, and then get mad when someone else pulls aggro.

SHINING MOMENT- when they kite a whole pack of melee mobs.

I'm now with you Aetou (thank you for the post) and taking OmySpys points too, I've narrowed down my choice to Vanguards or Shadows for becoming a Tank.

I just found this comparison. Anyone alse have views between the two?

I play both these AC's on the Imp side (Assassin/Powertech) and they are both very fun my favorite of both of them is the Powertech though so that would be a Vangaurd on Rep side. But my focus is more of a PVP environment so i'm not too sure of how they fair in PVE although i have heard that if you have a healer they are basically both unstoppable when tanking

Now when it comes to the stories of these classes i have played through both (although on the other Adv classes sage/commando) and while i enjoyed both i know that a lot of other people didn't like the consular storyline for some reason

Consular story is basically - i need to save these Jedi, and help to Republic to look good for it's allies etc

while Trooper story is - Spec forces, yay Republic lets screw over the Empire

I agree it's great to feel needed and I've often thought about being a guardian or vanguard but I've never tanked before and if your tank is bad and so is your healer then there just as useless as a dp's feels sometimes. I've played with some great tanks and healers but your always left with a bad bunch sometimes. Don't get me wrong it's a learning curve however some people don't want to learn. What I'm trying to say is there's always a place for a very skilled player no matter what class there playing.

One day I will more than likely make a vanguard but I'll sure as hell make certain I'm good at it :)

I can't comment on the two classes' stories as my Shadow is only mid-30s and rather than a Vanguard I have a Powertech (at 50, though.) I do have a couple of Republic 50s though and have done plenty of PVP and Operations with both Shadow and Vanguard tanks.

On balance I'm not sure I'd agree that Shadows have better mobility than Vanguards. Although Shadows have that lovely (20s CD) Force Speed Vanguards have a 30m Charge ability that is seriously awesome. Both classes have Pulls so that is even. Shadow Tanks are getting nerfed quite significantly in 1.3 but they were probably the strongest prior to that so I'm not convinced they will become a bad choice. If I had to list the pros and cons of the two it would be as follows:

Vanguards have better overall damage reduction but worse CDs, which means that Shadows are better at dealing with big spikes of damage but overall the Vanguard is better at soaking up damage for extended periods.

Shadows have excellent self-healing, which offsets their lower mitigation and means they shine as Guards in PVP (as they can self-heal even when not being hit.)

Shadows have better utility - Stealth, Knockback and a 60s OOC mez while Vanguards have none unless you count Charge which is great in PVP. That said, Vanguards do have a great but short AOE stun.

Shadows deal better single target damage.

On balance, I'd say they are roughly equal in PVE (I'm happy with any of the three tank classes for Nightmare Operations) while the Shadow is stronger in PVP.

Thanks Ellvaan! That made my day.

The Trooper story basically starts out with there being a lot of traitors and enemies to the Republic, and you have to go around trying to stop them. You get to be a big hero and military leader.

Also, these other guys posting have great advice, and I agree wih Aetou; a Shadow has more overall utility and is good at many things in PVP, but the Vanguard is generally straight up tougher. If you're mostly concerned with protecting people in PVE, that would be the way to go.

Many thanks for all the advice so far! I have rolled both a Shadow and a Vanguard. Still trying to decide between for a few early levels.

One thing I don't yet get, (and please bear in mind my only prior experience of tanks is in a sword wielding world) is how can the Vanguard tank "at distance"? What I mean is, how can the Vanguard hold the focus of mobs if a bunch of lightsaber- wielding partners engage face to face when the Vanguard is off at the back with a laser rifle?

Well you won't really be ALL that far away as a Vanguard tank.

You do get some tools to manage threat - taunts (hey bad guy HIT ME) and Guard (protect an ally and part of their threat goes to you instead). You have identified the challenge of tanking but I think it's fun and can vary quite a bit depending on your group. A good tank will switch targets, to make sure he has threat on all of them, and mix in AoE damage and pulls too.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Vuknasty

I cannot speak to the lesser side, but if you ever come to your sense and join the empire I would strongly suggest the power tech. I am currently the guild leader, raid leader, and main tank for our guild (and yes, quite insane), and I find that the power tech is the most versatile tank I've ever played (been tanking in these games for over 10 years). There is not a situation that I've found as a raider where the power tech does not have the tools to get the job done. Our dps is pretty solid for a tank and our mitigation is very strong.

Beyond that I think it boils down to a matter of style and preference as all the tanks do well in this game.

G'luck.

One thing I don't yet get, (and please bear in mind my only prior experience of tanks is in a sword wielding world) is how can the Vanguard tank "at distance"? What I mean is, how can the Vanguard hold the focus of mobs if a bunch of lightsaber- wielding partners engage face to face when the Vanguard is off at the back with a laser rifle?

A Vanguard is still a melee character, Stockstrike is one of your core attacks while your others have a 10m range. Yes, you can attack from further and that is great for building and holding threat but don't think for a moment you won't end up standing toe to toe with the boss most of the time (unless you need to kite because you're undergeared for the encounter.)

Melee with a rifle? I feel a bit fake ...and slugging someone with the stock of it also feels a tad unskilled?!? They should have allowed laser bayonets or something

Well after 6 levels of the Vangaurd and of the Shadow I'm still undecided. I feel less clumsy with the Vanguard but the Shadow is more "involving". I also find I want the Vanguard to be a good Republican, but my Shadow to break all the rules....

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a Vanguard up and running to be my Tank but in the process of thinking which way to go I also got a Consular now at 10. I'm going to keep both running. I'll learn tanking with the vanguard, but now wondering what to do with the consular - should I go the sage route to give me an alternative Healer or go the Shadow route and have fun DPSing or seeing if my style of tanking runs better with him?

So in summary, as my first alternative to a Vangaurd should I go Sage or Shadow?:csw_speeder:

So I've got a Vanguard up and running to be my Tank but in the process of thinking which way to go I also got a Consular now at 10. I'm going to keep both running. I'll learn tanking with the vanguard, but now wondering what to do with the consular - should I go the sage route to give me an alternative Healer or go the Shadow route and have fun DPSing or seeing if my style of tanking runs better with him?

So in summary, as my first alternative to a Vangaurd should I go Sage or Shadow?:csw_speeder:

Well, having two Tanks/mDPS doesn't really give you a whole lot of added flexibility (you can just respec between the two roles anyway) while having a healer/rDPS would give you the two roles that you are currently lacking. That said, I've always found sages to be pretty boring to play but in terms of maximising group utility the Sage brings more to the table.