"Active" abilities subjected to accuracy

WhiteKing

Since update 2.0 and this particular patch note

Enemies of Elite toughness now have 5% Force and Tech defense, and enemies of Champion toughness have 10% Force and Tech defense. This gives greater chance of resisting Force and Tech attacks, and increases the importance of Accuracy when fighting Elite enemies.

characters with less than 10% Accuracy from rating and buffs (i.e. mainly tanks and healers) are having their interrupts, pulls, pushes, stuns, and mezzes used on Elite and Champion enemies resisted.

Steps to replicate:

Mezz: Fast (spammable) - use stealth class to apply stealth CC to an Elite or Champion (e.g. Oricon heroic area Champions, one application needed to remove CC breaker)

example of fail (91% accuracy)

Interrupt: Moderate (short cooldown) - fight an Elite or Champion enemy with frequently used casted/channeled abilities with long casting/channeling time, attempt to interrupt mid-cast (e.g. champion droid from Tatooine GSI Heroic quest)

example of fail (91% accuracy)

Pushes, pulls, stuns, other: Slow (moderate to long cooldown) - attempt to push or pull an Elite or Champion enemy (suggested fight: Alderaan GSI Heroic quest due to the ability to reset the fight quickly by exiting instance)

example of failed pull

example of failed stun (both 92% accuracy, specced for shorter CD on Grapple and Electro Dart for testing purposes)

So either

A) the tooltip for force/tech accuracy tooltip should mention that "Active" abilities and controlling effects are affected by it as well

or

B) "Active" abilities should not be affected by accuracy and they are indeed bugged.

Taunts were affected during the PTS testing of 2.0 and were promptly fixed, which suggests that B) is the case. Abilities that combine damage and incapacitating effects (like agent's Debilitate or guardian's Hilt Strike / Force Stasis) are also affected and fail to apply the effect if the damage is resisted.

In fact, any ability that applies a debuff (like Weaken Mind) behaves that way - the debuff application can be resisted.

Edited by WhiteKing
test results added

Interrupts, and to a lesser extent, mezzes and stuns, should not be able to be resisted by equal-level targets, but they can be. Several encounters in the game require (or at least are made much easier by) consistent interrupts, like Operator IX (Regulators), Styrak NiM (especially), Minefield, and Gate Commander Draxus. On Styrak, a single resisted stun, slow, root, knockback, or interrupt can easily wipe the raid. Sage and commando healers can't reliably mez trash, either.

Either tie an accuracy boost into a talent high in the heal and tank trees, or give these abilities the same treatment taunt was given.

• 4 weeks later...

So since we have a new update and all, went out for some testing fun in the sun.

Three failed interrupts from a tank over the course of a single fight, 91% accuracy (six fails total in three runs)

http://imageshack.com/a/img823/2293/e8wa.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/6279/1i7z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/8648/wf9c.jpg

Is this really working as intended?

Thanks for the detailed analysis.

Since we tend towards Gunslingers and Sentinels for DPS our primary mezzes come from our healers and tanks and every so often they'd not take. "Oh the game just bugged out again". Nope, it's a design fail.

/signed

Please make this correction a priority.

Getting higher Accuracy from what I have seen costs insane amounts of credits. Getting mods through comm's takes forever. I have a 96% accuracy, wish it was higher, but 1 million credits per mod, takes time, and dailies are getting old and a stale.

I've definitely seen this both as a tank and healer.

Do we know if it is intended or not?

The patch note, accuracy tooltip, and the taunt fix would suggest this is a bug, but there is no official word on this afaik.

Getting higher Accuracy from what I have seen costs insane amounts of credits. Getting mods through comm's takes forever. I have a 96% accuracy, wish it was higher, but 1 million credits per mod, takes time, and dailies are getting old and a stale.

That's not the real issue here, tanks and healers generally do not want accuracy because they would have to sacrifice stats that are actually beneficial to their role, and yet this approach is gimping their utility if the current situation is intentional.

I stopped tanking because it is just too gear dependant. I have rated 156 gear, and these new HM's kill my tank with ease. Someone laughed one day and said I need to be in basic comm's gear to do HM's, so I just benched the tank, and went with dps.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes please fix this ASAP Bioware. It was barely noticeable before Draxus NiM but especially now that there's a fight that is so *********** dependent on interrupts it's annoying as hell when healers or tanks have their interrupt resisted not because they weren't in range, but because their 10% to resist decided to rear it's ugly head. RNG like this is not skill based or fun. It's just annoying, especially since it wastes so much time just because one interrupt didn't get off and caused an instant wipe and total waste of time. If you acknowledged that misses are unacceptable for taunts cause thy can cause unnecessary wipes, why are they acceptable for interrupts that can cause unnecessary wipes????

Additionally, Merc(maybe PT too?) interrupts have a travel time that should be removed. Maybe it makes sense when looking at it but a non instant interrupt that is listed as instant is just stupid.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey folks!

I spoke with the combat team regarding this, and this is working as designed. Accuracy affects anything you attempt to do to a hostile target whether damage is being done or not. The only exceptions to this rule are abilities that taunt, which cannot be resisted per their tooltips.

-tait

Hey folks!

I spoke with the combat team regarding this, and this is working as designed. Accuracy affects anything you attempt to do to a hostile target whether damage is being done or not. The only exceptions to this rule are abilities that taunt, which cannot be resisted per their tooltips.

-tait

This is very, very bad design. Or rather, it is very bad design with respect to the content. The specific reason for this is Nightmare Draxus. In 8 man, the 8th phase (four Corruptors and a Despoiler) cannot be done (pre-nerf) without a minimum of 6 interrupts, and most groups require 8 depending on when the Despoiler starts to cast. Doing it with 4 interrupts is categorically impossible due to the Despoiler. This means that Nightmare Draxus pre-nerf was a fight which came down to a coin toss on whether or not your tank's interrupts were resisted.

Nightmare Styrak is a very similar fight. While it is possible to do it without the tanks or healers stunning/knocking back anything, you are forced to stack a very specific DPS composition to do it (you basically need four DPS with omni-directional knockbacks to pull off the fight without tanks or healers using their knockback).

In other words, the content team is continuing to produce content which hard-requires healers and tanks to use their interrupts, stuns and knockbacks, and provides immediate and harsh penalties for failure (in the case of both Styrak and Draxus, the penalty is generally "raid wipe"). If content were designed such that at most four interrupts were required, very few people would disagree with the design decision you detailed, Tait.

In short, the content design and the combat system design are at odds here. One of them has to give, otherwise groups will continue to wipe on bosses for absolutely no reason other than a coin toss on the accuracy roll of an interrupt. Either it should be impossible to resist an interrupt, or NPCs which are involved in "6/8 player interrupt" mechanics (e.g. Corruptors) should be given 0% resist chance, rather than the 10% which is standard.

Stuns and knockbacks should probably always be subject to resist, otherwise PvP will fall into a pit of massive imbalance and unavoidable sap-caps.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Completely agree with you there, I also remember a time when certain DPS specs (Watchman Sentinel comes to mind) that were theorycrafted and proven to have better sustained DPS with less than 100% Melee Accuracy, meaning there would also be a chance for that build to miss it's interrupt in an Interrupt or Wipe situation. I can understand having RNG in a Nightmare boss fight to make it more challenging, but if there's no way to adapt and readjust to have someone else cover the interrupt if theirs doesn't go off, then that's a whole other level of RNG and takes away from the fun of the encounter.

Just as a completely obscure reference: Say a tightrope walker practices their most difficult routine day in and day out for months to get it perfect, then during performance always has the chance to slip and fall during 1 specific jump of theirs. In the real world they wouldn't attempt to do the trick unless they knew how to reactive if something went wrong to adjust for the mistake and not fall to their death. With the same principles you have confirmed in the game they would always have a 10% chance on that jump to fall and die with NO CHANCE to recover from a small misstep. Seems like it would not be worth doing that routine (or playing that boss fight) given the risks involved, as there's a big chance that no matter how good you are, there will always be 1 big chance for you to die that you can't do anything about when it happens.

I do enjoy Star Wars, and up unto this point have been suffering through the lack of bug fixes and attention paid to the Customers and all the PTS work and bug reports that have been submitted in the game. The straw that broke the camel's back was this most recent patch, there was catastrophic game failures all over the servers following a lot of complaints on the forums about Nightmare operations bugs that needed to be addressed, Gold Spammers overtaking general chat, and a lack of good new content to keep people interested.

Long Story short I've logged over 200 days of playtime and put over $2,000.00 into this game and have unsubscribed because I don't feel I'm getting back anything close to what I have put into it. Customer Service has become very distant from what it once was and doesn't seem to take action on a lot of the major problems, and the Quality Assurance team hasn't done anything for a long time, every time I see bug reports on PTS 99% of those bugs make it to Live servers, so why even have the PTS other than to entice people to play the same "new" content twice? All questions directed at the Programming team gets responded to by Customer Service Representatives who clearly have no idea what they are talking about, and it shows that they obviously don't even communicate between departments.

The game is dieing only due to how the company and it's product are being run: poorly. Fix the issues we have been telling you about and get back to making a game people want to play for decades, not months. I'm sure a lot of other subscribers have cancelled and moved on due to the same complaints, and if you haven't seen the trend by now than maybe you should sell the game to somebody who cares about it.

-Sciclex

Hey folks!

-tait

In other words, healers that engage in NM operations need to stat for accuracy instead of alacrity so, for those fights that require a healer to perform critical mechanics targeting mobs, they won't wipe the raid.

Hey folks!

-tait

It is bone headed things like this that push good players, and good customers over the edge causing them to leave or start bashing your game. There is literally no way to defend this type of arrogant disregard for your player base. Any game designer who defends this is simply an employee who lacks the character to take pride in what they do.

Edited by Docmal

Taunts are exempt? So casual :p

Back in the day, WoW taunts were not 100%. If you did not have 8 warriors with 4-piece dreadnaught on classic 4 horsemen, success was possible but highly susceptible to randomness as a missed taunt likely = wipe.

Maybe this is TOR's homage to that aka "either take it like a man or don't run nightmare ops". Or it's just something that is "working as intended" until it's suddenly changed down the line like it was in WoW.

Edited by Projawa