A Dark Jedi question

The_Anf

My Question is this...are all Dark jedi evil? Or is dark jedi just a term used to describe Jedi that have fallen away from the teachings of the order?

In my personal quest I have always ignored the LS/DS points and just done what my instinct would do and to be honest I have run a 65-35 DS over LS with my choices.

Does this make me evil?

My Question is this...are all Dark jedi evil? Or is dark jedi just a term used to describe Jedi that have fallen away from the teachings of the order?

In my personal quest I have always ignored the LS/DS points and just done what my instinct would do and to be honest I have run a 65-35 DS over LS with my choices.

Does this make me evil?

your second guess was correct.

The term "Dark Jedi" refers not only to members of the Jedi Order who have fallen to the Dark Side but is also used as a common, generic term for Dark Side Force users - even those who may never have been trained as Jedi, but also may not have been trained as Sith.

The question of whether or not a Dark Jedi (or a Sith, for that matter) is evil, however, depends greatly on one's point of view (to borrow a phrase from a certain Jedi Master). Dark Jedi generally would not view themselves as evil, of course. On the contrary, they are channeling the Force in ways that they view as appropriate in their quest for power.

According to the Jedi Order, Force-users who embrace the Dark Side are, of course, evil. After all, they frequently embrace base emotions such as hatred, fear, and anger in order to channel their power; they frequently seek to conquer and oppress; and they frequently inflict pain on a large scale, without any regard for the suffering they cause.

The term "Dark Jedi" was commonly used in the Star Wars Expanded Universe prior to the Prequel Trilogy not because the term "Sith" wasn't popular, but because Lucasfilm specifically excluded the use of it in novels, comic books, video games, and so on. The restriction was lifted around the time the Prequel movies started to be released, and since then the EU has generally avoided "Dark Jedi" in favor of "Sith".

Edited by psychogobstopper

To be fair, word of God (aka Lucas) says that the Sith are evil, so there really are no two ways about that. Even Bioware has said it.

And are you sure about that last bit? The term Sith pretty much originated in the EU, and Jedi Knight's expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith, preceded the release of TPM by 18 months. Going further back, the term was also used more than once in the Dark Empire trilogy, released in 1991. So I can't really see any real evidence that Lucas Licensing clamped down on the use of the term "Sith" until the prequels.

And are you sure about that last bit? The term Sith pretty much originated in the EU, and Jedi Knight's expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith, preceded the release of TPM by 18 months. Going further back, the term was also used more than once in the Dark Empire trilogy, released in 1991. So I can't really see any real evidence that Lucas Licensing clamped down on the use of the term "Sith" until the prequels.

I could be mistaken. It's something that I recall reading about way back around that time, I think in Star Wars Insider. My recollection is that "Sith" was only allowed to be used on a very limited basis, hence inclusion in works like Dark Empire (where it certainly made sense, considering Palpatine's clones). In any event, I don't think the use of "Dark Jedi" over "Sith" had anything to do with the second term being "less popular" - why would it be such, when Darth Vader and Palpatine were said to be Sith in the original trilogy and "Dark Jedi" was never used in those films at all?

Isn't a Sith a Dark Side user who believes in the Religion of the Sith. Meaning they follow the teachings and holocrons of the Sith, follow the rule of two and vow to destory the Jedi.

Where as a Dark Jedi is just a Dark Side user who wields the force for his/her personal gain and isnt really interested in following the Sith Religion or work to destroy the Jedi order.

To be fair, word of God (aka Lucas) says that the Sith are evil, so there really are no two ways about that. Even Bioware has said it.

I believe every jedi who falls to the drak side frist can be described as Dark Jedi, but then they can still turn to the light again, while a sith has passed beyond the point of no return and can no longer be saved(don't give me examples where this has not been the case). So while a dark jedi ccan still turn back, a sith fcuses so much on hate, fear and passion, that he is consumed fully by the drak side.

So, dark jedi: Not entirely evil.

Sith: pure evil

I believe every jedi who falls to the drak side frist can be described as Dark Jedi, but then they can still turn to the light again, while a sith has passed beyond the point of no return and can no longer be saved(don't give me examples where this has not been the case). So while a dark jedi ccan still turn back, a sith fcuses so much on hate, fear and passion, that he is consumed fully by the drak side.

So, dark jedi: Not entirely evil.

Sith: pure evil

Darth Vader turned back to the light tho...

Correct me if I'm wrong... but fast forward in time to where the rise of darth vader happened. At this time, the Sith had been pretty much wiped from the face of the galaxy. Darth Vader and Sidious were really the only "true" sith left. Sidious learned the ways of the sith from his former master Plageus (spelling?), who then taught Vader. If you look at SWG, even if you learned the dark side of the force you were never a "sith", you were a "dark jedi". In the movies they refer to the Sith as being an ancient religion. I think in order to be an actual Sith you have to have been taught from a previous Sith. In my own humble opinion, I look at dark jedi as force users who use the force for evil. Whether that be the dark side of the force or light side. Because there are Jedi Knight's who also use the dark side but for good. I think I read once that Jedi Sentinels were trained in the dark side of the force because they wanted a type of Jedi that could defeat a Sith at their own game. If I'm not mistaken, the jedi council banned the training of sentinels due to the fact that their own jedi were falling to the dark side of the force completely after being exposed to it for so long. I believe Mace Windu was one of the last sentinels left. Lucas proves this by his fighting. When Dooku shot lightning at obi-won he blocked it with his lightsaber. When dooku shot lightning at Yoda, he absorbed it. But when Sidious (the most powerful Sith in the galaxy before Vader), shot lightning at Windu, not only did Windu block it, he was able to deflect it back into Sidious' own face. What are your thoughts on this?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but fast forward in time to where the rise of darth vader happened. At this time, the Sith had been pretty much wiped from the face of the galaxy. Darth Vader and Sidious were really the only "true" sith left.

This is more or less accurate. Darth Plagueis was an adherent of Darth Bane's Rule of Two, and thus so was Darth Sidious - "always two there are, a master and an apprentice". Sidious, however, seemed willing to move beyond the Rule of Two; he allowed Darth Tyrannus to have apprentices (Asajj Ventress, Savage Opress), for example. He also maintained different "orders" of his own - the Emperor's Hands were Force-sensitive assassins; the Royal Guard consisted of Force users; and various Dark Side Adepts.

I believe Mace Windu was one of the last sentinels left. Lucas proves this by his fighting. When Dooku shot lightning at obi-won he blocked it with his lightsaber. When dooku shot lightning at Yoda, he absorbed it. But when Sidious (the most powerful Sith in the galaxy before Vader), shot lightning at Windu, not only did Windu block it, he was able to deflect it back into Sidious' own face. What are your thoughts on this?

Mace Windu was the creator of a lightsaber combat form known as Vaapad, which channeled his own enjoyment of combat. As its creator, Windu was the only Jedi to master that combat style and not fall to the Dark Side in the process. This does not mean, however, that Windu was actually trained to use the Dark Side, though he did occasionally use abilities that were more aggressive than the ones most Jedi would use. Windu had a somewhat dark nature even before he became a Jedi due to his homeworld of Haruun Kal. This would be the first I've heard of him being trained as a "Jedi Sentinel;" terms like these aren't often used in the wider Expanded Universe beyond video games that need distinct classes.

Edited by psychogobstopper

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Jedi Shadow going dark side.

Just thinking out loud, but shouldn't our Project skill turn into the Shock skill that Assassins get?

Also, it would be cool if our Kinetic Throw ability turned into the Force Lightning skill.

=/ I would just rather shoot lightning than throw rocks... even if it's just the animation that changes.

Every time I read a story about a dark Jedi, they are typically bad because they did something evil and fled the Jedi Order or just got really angry. Like, "I'll kill you" angry. A good example would be Asajj Ventress, Rosh Penin, and Aurra Sing.

There are some some Jedi or tread very close to the Dark Side by still stay on the Light side of the force. Examples include, Quin Lin Vos, Luke Skywalker and Kyle Katarn.

Then there are force users that are for neither the Sith or the Jedi, and in fact, used by the Empire. They are refer to as Grey Knights. I think they were first established in the Star Wars Legacy comics.

I think the difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith is that a Sith embraces the teachings of the Sith ways, as were a Dark Jedi does evil acts but does not live by the Sith Code.

A good example of a Jedi going Sith would be, Anakin Skywalker, Count Dooku and Jacen Solo.

Just what I think.

Edited by Seductivpancakes

I oppose for one simple reason. Usually dark jedi are roguish. They live for themselve and expect to use their abilities to make their lives better. They are no necessarily evil. They accept the force like a tool. Affiliating themselves with the empire would only make sense if the dark jedi acted like a bounty hunter. Most dark Jedi are seen wielding blasters, off weapons and equipment too hide their affinity to the force and their Sabers. They are highly intelligent and know that showing their true identity could draw to much attention. Being affiliated with the empire or the republic should be a choice and not be forced on class. Like the empirial agent could be a simple agent. From my point of view the republic doesnt look much different from the empire in many ways this agent could work with the republic, the empire, a crime lord or he could be the crime lord.

this an earlier post I made on if dark jedi should be able to change sides

• 3 weeks later...

Does this make me evil?

No, it just makes you a Republican. :p

Just kidding!

Seriously, though; I've always disliked the simplistic black/white morality of the Star Wars universe. The characters are so ungodly boring (even Hans Olo*). I'd like to see the "dark side" represented more by characters like Michael Corleone, Dexter Morgan, Shane Morgan, etc. In other words, multi-dimensional. Watcher One and Lord Scourage were good examples that I would have loved to see fleshed out a lot more, and I really would have liked to see more options during the Jedi Knight questline where you have a compelling reason to tell the council or some of the Republic brass to kiss your huge robed butt.

Yeah, I'll save the galaxy and help the homeless orphans, but wouldn't you love to have some portion of the questline where you punch out a Republic general or decide to let some group of Jedi die because they pissed you off a few too many times or were perhaps going off in some direction that conflicted with "the greater good?" Emotional depth; that'd be awesome.

* Okay, I lied; I actually liked Hans Olo, but Han Solo? Blecch.

Edited by georgemattson

Morality in SW isn't that black&white as you might think, just look at Obi-Wan and Yoda, it's like:

-Hey Yoda, I sense my friends are in danger, they can die.

-Nou, go you cannot, noob you are and Vader turn you will, here you must stay and move rocks some more you should.

or

-But Obi-Wan, Vader is my father, what should I do?

-What, he's just machine, kill him like a man, we're the good guys, remember? Btw, kill emperor too, cuz we jedi don't like him.

Imo Jedi are evil plague, many of them were traitors, and some betrayed their followers more than once, like Vader first republic, then his emperor when he saw he's too busy to steamroll him, or Kyle Katarn, or Ulic Qel-Droma, or Revan, or...

-What, he's just machine, kill him like a man, we're the good guys, remember? Btw, kill emperor too, cuz we jedi don't like him.

Imo Jedi are evil plague

How on earth is wanting to kill two of the most evil beings in the galaxy who have murdered countless innocent people, evil?

Edited by Romick

There is the Light Side and the Dark Side. Then there are factions. The good is represented by the Jedi counsil and the "Grey" Jedis (probably other faction i forget ofc) and the bad is the Fallen Jedis, forming either the Sith or Legions of Lettow or a number of other Dark Side factions.

How on earth is wanting to kill two of the most evil beings in the galaxy who have murdered countless innocent people, evil?

I don't believe in 'end justifies means' rule, and certainly murder is murder, regardless of killing innocent or villain, and killing own family when there's chance to redeem them looks harsh. Best part was actually Mace Windu who wanted to kill Palpatine without proper judgement. Dunno about you, but serving capital punishment just like that is kinda steep considering jedi strive (or they claim they do) to keep democracy intact, even if it's as corrupted as they thought, but that's different story, plot in new episodes is just so inconsistent it hurts, I mean, whole Jedi Council couldn't feel Sith Lord when he was fooling around constantly trying to confuse old Skywalker, how cheap is that?

Edited by puzzlemaniak

I think a lot of the confusion stems from somewhat confused roots. During the original films there was no such thing as Sith per se. The emperor was just a user of dark force powers therefore evil and he corrupted Anakin by making him tap into his fear/anger. As such "once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny".

In the kotor and swtor games however the whole Sith things seems more like a life choice that force wielders might choose as opposed to the Jedi. They are pretty much ideologically opposed factions in contrast to the films.

As for the Dark Jedi question, well a Jedi could tap into his rage and channel dark force powers which would ultimately corrupt him but he/she would not necessarily know anything of Sith teachings, it's just primal rage and emotion.

Edited by Hawksworth

I think a lot of the confusion stems from somewhat confused roots. During the original films there was no such thing as Sith per se. The emperor was just a user of dark force powers therefore evil and he corrupted Anakin by making him tap into his fear/anger. As such "once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny".

Umm... are you sure about that? I never got into the EU, so maybe my memories are conflicting with some retcons that Lucas has done since, but I very distinctly remember Darth Vader being referred to as a/the "Dark Lord of the Sith" back in 1977. I don't recall if he was referred to as the only one or just one of many, but I do remember that title.