Does Naval (water based) Combat Still Happen in the Star Wars universe?

ErewegoErewego

According to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, naval warfare exists

Not sure how canon that game is however.

This is an example, it shows the Trade Federation's navy destroying Otoh Gunga

Edited by Duradel

In the 2003 Clone Wars cartoon series, there was a naval battle on Mon Calamari. The Republic cruisers were actually landed on the water, looked really cool.

I would venture its only really used on heavily aquatic planets like Mon Calamari or Manaan though. Otherwise, why use water ships when you can use flying ships?

A House Thul NPC on Alderaan explicitly commands a water-based naval force in the Imperial bonus series on that world.

I remember that guy too.

I feel like a lot of the naval terminology has been applied to space combat in almost every EU (not just star wars).

this is something I've just been randomly thinking about, do either the Republic or the Empire still have formal "Navies" and by Navy I mean actual water based craft and not Space Bound ships.

If a lot of the speeders can just hover I think it would just make any boats obsolete.

If were allowing other series like lets say, "Clone Wars" it shows their capital space ships can double as Naval ships if they touched down on the water

Just assuming they can do that with Old Republic Capital Ships too since the advancement in technology between the New concepted-game Old Republic tech comparitive to the newer Republic tech of the prequels is laughably seems minimal

Edited by Darth_Malevolent