SWG and WoW crafting were BAD BAD BAD!

iResist

I see lots of people referencing SWG crafting on here and the majority of people that are actually outside this particular forum found SWG crafting to be way overly complex and time consuming and I agree with them.

Even a Co-worker who was a hardcore crafter in SWG thought that SWG's crafting was just too much!

Crafting in WoW was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum and was too simplistic. All you had was the pattern and needing the mats for the pattern and that was it.

I absolutely love SWTOR's crafting and find it very refreshing, yes it could use some small tweeks, but in all, it is one of the best crafting systems I've had the pleasure to play.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i played SWG in launch, i still remember it having the best crafting system i've ever experienced.

I actually played the 3 first months just crafting stuff.

In other MMOs. it's something i MIGHT do if i want the bonus it comes with.

So I completely disagree, SWG crafting > all other MMOS.

I see lots of people referencing SWG crafting on here and the majority of people that are actually outside this particular forum found SWG crafting to be way overly complex and time consuming and I agree with them.

Even a Co-worker who was a hardcore crafter in SWG thought that SWG's crafting was just too much!

Crafting in WoW was completely on the opposite end of the spectrum and was too simplistic. All you had was the pattern and needing the mats for the pattern and that was it.

I absolutely love SWTOR's crafting and find it very refreshing, yes it could use some small tweeks, but in all, it is one of the best crafting systems I've had the pleasure to play.

So wows crafting was too simple but swtors crafting, which is all done by your crew isn't?

So wows crafting was too simple but swtors crafting, which is all done by your crew isn't?

1) WoW doesn't have the option to make your crew craft/gather resources, and I can gather resources myself if I want. I LOVE being able to send my crew on missions to do stuff for me.

2) Compared to WoW, in SWTOR you can learn new patterns by reverse engineering, up to purple level items. LOVE THIS. Especially love all the different possible types of patterns you can learn this way.

3) You also have a chance to "crit" on an item you craft and get an extra mod slot. LOVE THIS.

Don't try to tell me that SWTOR's crafting is exactly like WoW's, because it simply is not.

Edited by iResist

I like SWTOR crafting, but it is too easy. Anybody can make anything... and that makes no sense to me.

SWTOR crafting is no different than looting armor/weps. Walk around fighting "oh look, a resource". There is no real dedication to any crafting system. And that will always be lacking from MMO's now that SWG is gone.

And to anyone out there who is thinking "Hey man! I just grinded to 400 and it IS dedication!" lol no... it isnt. If you had to dedicate one of your characters as strickly non-combat crafting, then That is dedication to a crafting system.

Suggestion

Perhaps there could be a system added where players could sacrifice skillpoints into a crafting tree. That way there would be actual "Crafters" and then "Off-crafters"

Anywho- thats my 2cents

Love the game, Love the Galaxy, Keep up the good work

Nothing is wrong with SWTOR crafting system as it currently is other then that simple fact that once you hit 50 there isn't really a need.

Why craft up armor plates when you can simply for 8 daily commendations buy level 23 versions when the crafter can really only make 22 versions.

Why waste time making mods when you can just acquire them from a daily quest for free.

Artifice is in the exact same boat, sure the magenta crystal is hot for right now but most people will just earn weapons that come preinstalled with hilts/crystals higher then anything an artifice can make.

The only REAL use for artifice I've found so far is to make leveling items for alts and more customized place holder enhancements till you get your real pvp/pve gear to take it's place and even then you can just do that illum daily and get your pick of enhancements.

The only thing I personally currently see worth taking is slicing for a small profit or Biochem for unlimited use stims/medpacks

SWG's crafting system was incredible, and possibly the most rewarding part of the game if you worked at getting good at it. The best crafters on the servers I played on became some of the most famous (and often most respected) players in the game. A game with near-celebrity crafters was something new to me.

Like I said, it's mostly the people in this forum that like SWG crafting, which is an incredibly small minority of people.

Most people hated SWG's crafting.

Respectfully, I believe you're grossly mistake. If anything that's the ONE thing most people agree on that they did right. It has nothing to do with this forum... it's a pretty general consensus in the MMO Genre.

Here's proof;

Rated #1 ever by mmorpg.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4947

The same at massively.com

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/07/31/the-daily-grind-which-mmo-has-the-best-crafting/

Ditto says slideshare.net

Many posts agree at mmofringe.com

http://mmofringe.com/forum/8-News-Insights-and-Theories/147-Best-crafting-MMORPG

Z

Z

A lot of you seem to be under the impression that the more complex crafting is, the better the craftng is.

Simply having more complex crafting does not make crafting more fun.

For the majority of players, especially those casual players, a more simplistic yet engaging crafting is FAR more fun, which is what SWTOR has done perfectly.

A lot of you seem to be under the impression that the more complex crafting is, the better the craftng is.

Simply having more complex crafting does not make crafting more fun.

For the majority of players, especially those casual players, a more simplistic yet engaging crafting is FAR more fun, which is what SWTOR has done perfectly.

Cite? I love when people claim that they know what the "majority" of players want. Because, of course, the majority always wants what you want, right?

SWG crafting was great!

You would start mining the minerals by hand with ytour mining macro and build your first personal mine machine and within a fw weeks you would have a whole farm of elite diggers you had made yourself from nothing.

It was very satisfying.

Must have spent hours roaming planets looking for a 75% area to mine - loved every moment.

Back in the early days I made crate after crate of Vasarian Brandy and I used to stand in the Corellia spaceport with my hawking macro and I made a mint.

Probably not for everyone but the crafting system was probably the best if you enjoy sandboxing of course...

On the otherhand TOR is a themepark and we are lucking we even have crafting...

I liked the crafting and all things in SWG. Only before the upgrade!!!!!

We have a very different game here in a more modern time lets talk about it not look at the past.

I wish we had 486 Ultima games! only peeps like me like them.

people are going to like the game style that OR have followed.

Edited by Hillfort

I found SWG crafting system really fun even though I never got very far in it and compared to it SWTOR has a very bland crafting system...

However I think the main problem is that Biochem is really the only crew skill worth having and all the others are pretty much a pointless waste of time... This needs addressing...

Along with rebalancing I like the idea of being able to create a crafting character with some sort of perks in the skill tree and the ability to have the character craft instead of just the companions and something like the ability to have 2 crafting skills and say 5 slots total (effectively forcing you to have crafting skills that share a mission or gathering skill). But I doubt this would happen because what sort of character story would you put behind it?

The swg crafting was very good. no instant rewards and you had to put some thought into what you were doing. Not just with what you were making but what mats you used and where you sourced them from.

WoW crafting is a joke. The idea in that to make it more complex is simply to make it take longer to craft things via insane cooldowns and mats that are deep into new content that gets burned through so fast that you either dont get enough mats to turn a profit or new content comes out making what you can make obsolite.

Also disagreed. Rather than experiencing dozens of failure moments when RE-ing purples in SWTOR, SWG crafting pretty much always brought you forward towards your craft with every step thereby making the crafting enjoyable.

Also the fact that it was based on resource quality rather than resource quantity like in SWTOR made it much more efficient. My SWG harvesters actually multiplied my resource yield where missions for grade6 mats in SWTOR yield less than when i drive around and collect the stuff myself by hand ?!

Furthermore, in SWG you were able to buff yourself to get more criticals etc.

I wish the SWTOR devs would have adapted parts of the pioneering SWG crafting system, as i am very fed up with the current system.