"Cash Sink Vendors"

Halofax

5-10M credits isn't anywhere near enough to control a market, even on a "dead" server.

He didn't say control markets thats an entirely different thing.

Players with 5-10M can use their wealth to ensure they get what they want which does force inflation to increase. Because i'm a decent crafter and have made a few million I can pay 500k to get that Jedi Battlelord Chestpiece which does force up prices.

The main complaint was that those that had several million credits had nothing to spend it on once they'd got a big speeder and the outfits they wanted.

Added to this was the exploit involving the mail system that injected a huge amount of credits into the economy that almost certainly could not all be removed. If someone buys something with bad credits can you realisticly take the credits off the player who sold the item? No.

Having a short term item available for a large amount of credits is a rather elegant way of solving the problem as it takes the credits out of the economy but only affects those that have enough credits to afford it.

Imagine you had this beautiful, fast, agile sports car or motorcycle. When you turned they key, it would start... in about 15 minutes. Fun? Or scrap that piece of monkey trash?

I mean, yeah, I can do that too. "Imagine your heart stopped, and someone called a Doctor...20-30 minutes later the doctor shows up and begins to treat." The thing about analogy and metaphor is that it's not the situation that's happening.

When I log in I have an agenda of what I want to accomplish before bed. Here is a typical night for me when I am not raiding. Random Order.

1. Ilum, Belsavis and Space Dailies.

2. Hardmode FP Daily

3. BioTech material collection.

4. Recruiting

5. Operations Planning and Organization.

I log in an immediately get on my dailies because I hate them, and I really hate doing them with people who don't do them like I do. I have an order and a system involving minimal effort. On the way to Ilum I do the space, and then Ilum. Once I get boots on the ground I keep an eye in General Chat for the Poisonous Strategy Heroic Daily. I can solo it if I have my companion with me, but its easier in a group. If a group presents itself before I get to that quest (I do it last) great. If not, I recall my companion and do it alone.

All the while watching my friends lists for tanks, and keeping an eye on guild chat to see who's looking. While killing stuff, I say hello to friends as they come online and see whats on tap for the evening.

Ilum is done, on to Belsavis. At this point I probably already have a good idea who and what I am running after I am done.

Knock out Belsavis in about 30 mins, haul tail to the fleet.

If by chance I am not able to form a group off of my friends list or guild chat (which is quite rare) then I hit general chat.

/1 1950 AIM Merc Heals LF FAST HM

I put it all out there for everyone to see. THat I am geared and that I don't want to mess around.

I suppose its possible at this point I could still not have a group. But I have yet to see it happen as being a healer, most of my friends list is composed of tanks.

/1 LF 2 Not Stupid DPS for Blazing Fast HM BP.

That usually does it.

If it doesn't I am at the GTN, buying and selling stuff. Still watching general chat, my guild chat and my friends list.

You can't really make the arguement that it takes me an hour becuase I am doing dailies while looking.

All in all, best case is immediate. Worst cast (involving me standing around bored) ten minutes tops, which is a real guess because it doesn't happen. Average, less that 2 mins to get a group formed, another ten to zone in. People are slow, like me. I take forever to get from point A to point B.

Bioware is obviously releasing 1.2 to keep people from leaving before 1.3.

That's all MMOs do. Release/change something to keep people around for the next patch.

Please don't leave, we have this patch to keep you interested until the next patch.

And tv shows only release episode 2 so that you'll come back for episode 3. I mean really...why the cynicism about this? They're providing an entertainment service. They get you to pay by providing more of said entertainment service. It's called capitalism and good business by giving the customers more of what they want. MMOs even have an advantage in that they can change what's already there based on customer feedback...which they frequently do and this one is doing. I don't see how it's at all a bad thing that they release more content to give you more content that keeps you coming back...it's how every business model works.

Imagine you had this beautiful, fast, agile sports car or motorcycle. When you turned they key, it would start... in about 15 minutes. Fun? Or scrap that piece of monkey trash?

For many of us that vehicle starts up instantly.

You list all the reasons people play MMOs as not being interesting or fun for you, so why are you even here?

It's not hard to form a static group in a game where the max size is 4 players for a normal mode FP. If you don't consistently have 4 available friends or guildmates on at all times it might be time to reevaluate whether or not to join a new guild or make more than a small handful of friends.

TLDR: You're doing it wrong.

How am I naysaying? lol. I'm merely correcting a perception that these vendors are meant to function as a credit sink. Because they are not.

Except you base your statement on a logical fallacy.

A sink is still a sink even if the faucet is still running.

If they made the Ship Droid Vocoder Restraining Bolt be an item that lasted a week and cost 100kCr, it would still be a cash sink, even though the amount of cash coming into the game has not decreased.

If there are a billion credits floating around in peoples' accounts on a server, with 100million being added a week, and they put stuff up for sale for 4 weeks that reduces that billion to 900million, that's a cash sink, even if the total spent on that sink (I dunno, new ship models or something) was a lot more than the actual amount reduced (because each week every 'new' cred plus a little extra was spent on the sink items).

So you start off incorrect and then tootle happily into La La Land. Enjoy yourself.

For many of us that vehicle starts up instantly.

You list all the reasons people play MMOs as not being interesting or fun for you, so why are you even here?

It's not hard to form a static group in a game where the max size is 4 players for a normal mode FP. If you don't consistently have 4 available friends or guildmates on at all times it might be time to reevaluate whether or not to join a new guild or make more than a small handful of friends.

TLDR: You're doing it wrong.

I'm playing an MMO because I enjoy playing MMOs.

I enjoy flashpoints and operations, but I don't enjoy waiting for them to start. I know BioWare is doing their part to address this by implementing a feature that has become expected in modern MMOs - goup finder. So while I dislike what I'm dealing with now, I am encouraged by the action.

I enjoy the crafting / market game, but I don't enjoy wasting my time and resources on a system that the developer has stated is both broken (reverse-engineering) and not working as they'd like it to (endgame viability). I know BioWare is doing their part to address this by implementing sweeping improvements to the crafting system in 1.2. So while I dislike what I'm dealing with now, I am encouraged by the action.

I actually do enjoy leveling up alternate characters, but I don't enjoy it when it's nearly a complete re-hash of what I did with previous characters. I expect BioWare will address this at some point and for now my alting is limited to the amount of time I can do it without being bored to tears, and when it's just unreasonably challenging to assemble a flashpoint group.

The two improvements BioWare has publicly committed to are enough to keep me playing this game. At least until I see them blow one or both of the implementations.

5-10M credits isn't anywhere near enough to control a market, even on a "dead" server.

BW is trying to play the delicate game of balancing created cash with destroyed cash based on the expectation that it will help control inflation.

Nobody said "control a market." The fact that a small percentage of the players are already that rich and that quite a large percentage of players are running around with between 500k-1M credits would result in pretty instant INFLATION. Has nothing to do with control. What would happen si that crafters critting orange gear would try to sell...and if they're smart they wouldn't do it on the auction house at first...and they'd get the kids with the big money to spend oodles on it. Boom. Between their now established expectation of making bank for each piece of gear and the easy availability of money, tha gear would be instantly established as worth tons of cash. By removing credits from the in game economy by giving people expensive toys to buy, it lessens the chance that inflation would take off like a rocket with the introduction of the changes intended to make crafting more worthwhile and profitable by maknig the crafted items more desireable.

It has nothing to do with the economy or anything of that sort. Zoeller put up a chat that showed that barely anyone has more than 1 million credits.

They are kissing feet to get people to stay until 1.2 because everyone in the gaming world is aware than this game is flopping but fanboys on this forum.

Am I supposed to respect Bioware?

I lost all respect for them when I watched the live stream and they showed a graph that proved that an overwhelming majority of players were playing Sith Inquisitor. The room gets quiet as people wait for some sort of announcement regarding some way to balance factions, or AT LEAST balance the classes.

Zoeller says... "Warzones can get a little lightning happy, but lightning is cool right?"

They dont care how the minority or even any group smaller than 51 percent feels. So I am done trying to save face about it.

There you have it. Its ok for Empire to be stupidly overpopulated and for everyone to play one single class because the Developers think lightning is cool.

Bioware is lying. Like they lie about everything.

But, but, but they said they loved me. That I was their one and only. That if I let them go all the way, that if we went to fifty, we'd be together forever. Was it all just lies? I can't believe you! It seemed so real...

:confused:

".....getting stomped in ilum be the 80/20 population imbalance (its ok lightning is cool)."

Aaaaaaaah, now we get to the root of it. Yes, there's faction imbalance on some servers. Yes, it results in you getting yuor butt handed to you. Reroll. :eek:

Everyone who took the time to EARN the Magenta crystal can suck it.

The People who took the time to earn the 1.5 mil mounts can suck it.

People like me who bought the DDE for the VIP pass can suck it.

JUST PLEASE DONT QUIT OR LISTEN TO ALL THE CREDIBLE SOURCES THAT PROVE OUR GAME DOESNT REALLY HAVE 2 MILLION SUBS. DONT LEAVE ME PLEASE.

I mean lets get real here...

Instead of expecting people to work for stuff they are giving hand outs to keep people from quitting because at the moment the end game is LAUGHABLY shallow and revolves around repeating the same 2 45 minute raids or getting stomped in ilum be the 80/20 population imbalance (its ok lightning is cool).

I am sick of standing up for it just because I used to like Bioware before Dragon Age 2.

You can buy dragon age 2 for $15. I guess all those people who paid $60 for it got ripped off hardcore?

Those people who achieved those things got to be unique, they got to be different than many others. Did they think they would be special forever?

What hand outs are you referring to because last I checked it takes time to get up to a million credits to buy these so called handouts.

The only thing you are standing up for is the soapbox you are standing on.