Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already picture all the complaining when they decide to implement it

"Why are they taking so long to finish it?!"

"Why is it so difficult?!"

"Why is the difference between a well geared and a "normal" starfighter so huge?!"

"Why did they spend time creating this when they should have fixed bugs?!"

"Where's capital ship combat?!"

None of that matters. The only thing that does is, are people playing it. What is the ratio of players not playing the new space combat to the players playing the new space combat. If the amount of players Playing is very high, they couldn't care less what people have to say.

You have no idea what it costs to produce, nor any idea how much they'll recoup from the investment. Investors are a finicky bunch...

As far as them having "something"....uh huh...I'll believe it when I see it...but you're right...they do have "something"...they have people fooled imo. I hope I'm wrong...but I just keep thinking back to how they promoted Cathar for a FULL YEAR before releasing them...that was a freaking cat head...you think they wouldn't be promoting space a bit more?!

I know they're not going to lose money because they already have the money. Really think they're gambling at this point? Heck no! They're playing with house money.

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

No they shouldn't have. You obviously don't know what it takes to make a game, especially one like ToR. Creating a completely separate space simulator type game where it will be open and not on rails, takes a long time.

they have different design teams for differerent aspects of the game..i see it as a huge benifit,seeing as there is currently no pvp space combat,and it came out as #1 in thier poll so i guess alot of people are interested in this feature :D

Where do you think all this money would come from? You know how expensive it is to have devs for a full on space game and the main game? You don't just plop in 1 designer and 2 programmers for something like that. You really should first learn about how things work in the back end instead of just spouting out things you don't know anything about.

Do you think the SSSP is or is_not 3d free flight space combat?

Because it is very much alive and progressing, based on the info Dulfy extracted from the Germany Cantina Event.

AND... not to short sheet your bed, or pull your socks up over your eyeballs... but in that same Dulfy extract.. they made it clear in QandA that only a small percentage of their development team is working on CM content. :D

Not going to complain about any of that. Sometimes it's just plain nice being wrong, and I can't think of anyone I would like better to prove me wrong. :)

I know they're not going to lose money because they already have the money. Really think they're gambling at this point? Heck no! They're playing with house money.

There is no such thing as "house money" - that's called profit - and it's not quite as freely spent as you seem to think.

Depending on the cost, yes, I feel it could be a huge gamble. If it were cheap to do, why didn't they do it when $ wasn't an issue during the initial development?

There is no such thing as "house money" - that's called profit - and it's not quite as freely spent as you seem to think.

Depending on the cost, yes, I feel it could be a huge gamble. If it were cheap to do, why didn't they do it when $ wasn't an issue during the initial development?

Who says it's cheap? :t_confused: I bet this game is making a lot more money than you seem to think it is. When they make money, some goes to profit, yes. But they do, believe it or not, put some of the money back into the game, both for routine upkeep and for development. They know how much it costs to develop this. We do not. Part of the assumption MAY be based on income projections and that likely helped them get the green light, but they're working on low risk. The only way SSSP could sink the game is if it actually drives away a significantly large portion of subscribers.

Who says it's cheap? :t_confused: I bet this game is making a lot more money than you seem to think it is. When they make money, some goes to profit, yes. But they do, believe it or not, put some of the money back into the game, both for routine upkeep and for development. They know how much it costs to develop this. We do not. Part of the assumption MAY be based on income projections and that likely helped them get the green light, but they're working on low risk. The only way SSSP could sink the game is if it actually drives away a significantly large portion of subscribers.

Right. That's my point from earlier...you assumed earlier when, as you state above, neither of us knows what they make, nor what it would cost.

I sincerely hope they're developing something that'll blow me away...but I doubt they are. I think that unless it's something HUGE, it would be a gamble to invest in the SSSP...because anything "similar" to what we have will be a disappointment. Investors don't want to throw good money after bad. Space, unless it's impressive, is a gamble...which you claimed it wasn't.

Proper space combat would make this game WAY more popular and enjoyable, in every single star wars movie you have space combat, that is the reason why it is called STAR WARS. 3D space combat is on the market since 10+ years ago, what were you thinking when you made broken space system like this and gave it a green light to be in the game. Make PROPER star wars space environment Bioware. Not having space combat in star wars game is same as not having a ground combat (mmo wise) both are equally important in a modern star wars mmorpg.

So when??? You are *developing* it for a year now....how many more,weeks,months,years do you need!?

I'm excited for SSSP cos well, I'm excited for anything new.

But deep down we all know it's not gonna be able to hold a candle to games that specialize in that type of game-play. A year ago it would just get blown away by EVE. A year from now Star Citizen will just highlight the inevitable b-grade quality of it further.

So in the end it's just money and dev time down the drain. It's gonna be a huge fan service but honestly, it's not gonna bring in space sim people cos it's not gonna be a space sim, at least not a serious/specialized one. Only people choosing it over niche space sim games are SW fans first, space sim fans 2nd. And they're already here. They're the vocal minority salivating over the prospect of what SSSP could be but probably never will be.

I dare say the resources would have been vastly better spent on porting this game onto a new engine that doesn't get done in by chat bubbles and 40 toons on screen.

Edited by aeterno

I'm excited for SSSP cos well, I'm excited for anything new.

But deep down we all know it's not gonna be able to hold a candle to games that specialize in that type of game-play. A year ago it would just get blown away by EVE. A year from now Star Citizen will just highlight the inevitable b-grade quality of it further.

This may be true, but, I don't like EVE and have no desire to play Star Citizen. What matters is whether their new space combat is fun and has a solid place within this game.

So in the end it's just money and dev time down the drain. It's gonna be a huge fan service but honestly, it's not gonna bring in space sim people cos it's not gonna be a space sim, at least not a serious/specialized one. I dare say the resources would have been vastly better spent on porting this game onto a new engine that doesn't get done in by chat bubbles and 40 toons on screen.

We'll just have to see. To some people any money spent on anything they aren't personally into is a waste of dev resources.

We'll just have to see. To some people any money spent on anything they aren't personally into is a waste of dev resources.

True I suppose. I was just thinking out loud about what the poster above you said. These mythical hoards of players either waiting to come zoom around space in TOR or packing their bags for when Star Citizen comes if BW doesn't deliver (as another guy put it). Hard as I try, I'm just not seeing it. I don't know why people cant' just say "this is something I want for me" and feel the need to exaggerate.

Edited by aeterno

The point is: you have limited resources. You can create 10 new flashpoints or 3D space combat. Not both.

Then I'll take the space combat.

I think you greatly underestimate the number of people who are not just Star Wars fans, but who love 3D space. That in itself will bring people back to this game, or bring them new in the first place.

Many people played SWG ONLY to do SPACE! You don't think the same thing could happen here? Obviously.

It's Star Wars. And until now, we seriously lacked Stars. Hope this turns out for the best.

Then I'll take the space combat.

I think you greatly underestimate the number of people who are not just Star Wars fans, but who love 3D space. That in itself will bring people back to this game, or bring them new in the first place.

Many people played SWG ONLY to do SPACE! You don't think the same thing could happen here? Obviously.

It's Star Wars. And until now, we seriously lacked Stars. Hope this turns out for the best.

Amen!

Anyway check this out.....it just could be what we wanted ^^

Right. That's my point from earlier...you assumed earlier when, as you state above, neither of us knows what they make, nor what it would cost.

I sincerely hope they're developing something that'll blow me away...but I doubt they are. I think that unless it's something HUGE, it would be a gamble to invest in the SSSP...because anything "similar" to what we have will be a disappointment. Investors don't want to throw good money after bad. Space, unless it's impressive, is a gamble...which you claimed it wasn't.

ah TUXs my good friend. I hope you are wearing that egg on your face proud as you said to me earlier.