Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Notre Dame cathedral, sad day

Setokai
04.15.2019 , 12:42 PM | #1
http://www.swtor.com/r/xlcFwx
free stuff for a new or preferred status player
HK-55: Commentary: I am programmed for self-restraint. Usually.
Star Forge Guild site: https://swtorfancommunity.com/guild/132/606781

SteveTheCynic
04.15.2019 , 01:19 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Setokai View Post
Huh. It will be interesting to see the comments at the office tomorrow. (I live and work in France, although not in Paris.)

That said, the tweet attributed to The Donald(1) defies ... well ... um ... everything.

(1) I lived in the US during the 1980s, when this nickname was current.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

xordevoreaux
04.15.2019 , 02:04 PM | #3
Yes, it is a sad day. I'm not Catholic or French, but all of us have just lost a significant piece of history. Whatever is rebuilt will be an approximation. At least the statues inside were removed a week ago for renovation.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Thaladan
04.15.2019 , 03:34 PM | #4
during lent, before good friday, it is essential to keep faith and pray.

on a joke note : many jedi will pay for this ...

legend of hyperspace

Estelindis
04.15.2019 , 05:00 PM | #5
I'm devastated. I lived in Paris for a year and volunteered in the cathedral once a week, explaining the religious meaning of certain carvings to visitors. These carvings are/were part of the structure of the building. I can't believe the art that was so familiar to me is burning or burned now, along with so much else.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

PiiTarr
04.15.2019 , 05:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
I'm devastated. I lived in Paris for a year and volunteered in the cathedral once a week, explaining the religious meaning of certain carvings to visitors. These carvings are/were part of the structure of the building. I can't believe the art that was so familiar to me is burning or burned now, along with so much else.
I am sorry for the loss to you personally, and to everyone else personally affected, and I'm sorry for the loss to history and architecture. I've wanted to see the cathedral for years but have not made it to Paris yet.

Estelindis
04.15.2019 , 06:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PiiTarr View Post
I am sorry for the loss to you personally, and to everyone else personally affected, and I'm sorry for the loss to history and architecture. I've wanted to see the cathedral for years but have not made it to Paris yet.
Thanks for those kind words. Yes, it's sad enough for me, but so much sadder for people who've spent their whole lives in Paris, maybe walking past the cathedral several times a day.

Thankfully it does seem as if much of the cathedral has been saved, so it's not a total loss. And already there is talk of rebuilding. Hopefully you will see it in glory again one day.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

MadDutchman
04.15.2019 , 08:58 PM | #8
The most recent reports I've seen say the spire was the main causality, with significant damage to the roof and one of the towers.

From the sounds of it, the vast majority of the artwork and relics were saved, thought it'll probably take awhile to take a proper catalog of what was lost.

Most importantly, no one has been reported killed and at last check, only a single firefighter was injured.

I'm sure the French will make every effort to restore it.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

FlameYOL
04.16.2019 , 11:34 AM | #9
This is sad, hopefully they'll be able to rebuild.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything