What do the item colors mean?

DarthTapOut

greys= pretty much common vendor trash, your just as well off being naked

White= if thats all you have in the beginning, their better than nudity

green= your first piece of excitement, "omg its got stats"

blue= better than normal, far better than greens in most situations

purple= epic items that usually have superior stats to all other pieces (these are the pieces you raid for, these are why most people play)

Oranges= legendary in that they can be upgraded throughout the game. If you find one you really like the look of you can constantly upgrade as you go, although at some point a purple will trump this (currently, at some point you may find end game oranges that are omg amazing)

Hope this helps :)

Goldenelite

To expand on what others have said, the order goes:

cheap > standard > premium > prototype > artifact

Custom gear is its own thing and its value is purely based on the mods within it. Custom that is full of artifact mods will be better than the same piece with premium mods.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

I find myself spending extra time and care delineating between very similar items like shields, boots, armor, or weapons. I've noticed the "prototype" items are purple but the difference between the red and green items isn't always that significant.

I wish I found this thread much earlier on because I've carelessly sold many items for quick credits. In my PVE experience this knowledge has been paramount in outfitting my character.

BTW the red items often have red outlines more than purple.

:rak_03:

Edited by HuaRya

purple= epic items

Epic item is a World of Warcraft -term. While the color coding is almost the same, they are in a sense equivalents these items are called artifact here.

Well, that's not so important, but the other thing

Oranges= legendary

No, orange is definitely not legendary. In this the color coding differs from WoW (where legendary was orange).

Orange items are custom, which is not at all the same thing as legendary.

There is also item classification called legendary in SWTOR which is even higher stats than purple (kind or like legendary in WoW), but in swtor the color for legendary is dark blue or dark purple. Although no actual legendary items exist in the game yet (maybe added in future) but the system has this item classification listed on some options.

cheap > standard > premium > prototype > artifact

Would make more sense to use < instead of >

red items

There is no item quality that is marked with red color.

Edited by Eternalnight

I suggest you also read the Reverse Engineering Guide. It explains the color schemes as well as the prefixes on the items.

The short hand version is green items can be REd's to discover blue schematics and blue items can be RE'd into purple. For equipable items there are 3 possible blue prefixes that give you a different additional stat, each of these allows 5 additional purple prefixes which boost another stat. That means there are a total of 18 different items possible from one green equipable item.

Critically crafted equipable items will have an additional slot that holds an augment and will have the [Augmented] suffix. Coming in v1.3 you will be able to add augment slots to existing items.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

Edited by Owsley

• 3 years later...