Can you fail to recruit companions? Are any optional?

jgelling

Like the title says, the game usually seems entirely linear, with the only option being how many sidequests you feel like doing. But I was wondering, can your choices or actions prevent you from recruiting any companion in the game - or is it all baked in the main storyline?

You kind of need those companions. They make up your entire crew. Without them, you're just a guy in a robe talking to yourself.

That's pretty crazy.

Well sure, although who doesn't do that? No, but I was going full dark on a story and was just curious if it's possible to drive away any potential companions by doing so.

Well sure, although who doesn't do that? No, but I was going full dark on a story and was just curious if it's possible to drive away any potential companions by doing so.

Nope. Apparently they are cool with whatever you do.

Probably because they fear for their lives.

/PinkiePieshrug

I don't think you can... I tried to tell Risha to go to hell as often as I could, but she still joined my crew.

It's your story, only a point, in some dialog choices, but whatever choice you make you are driven back to the main line eventually. This is both understandable, and somewhat disapointing.

Edited by Vonb

If SWTOR companions could choose to not become a part of your team, the forum would catch on fire. Threads after threads of complaints and demands... "This is stupid! My companion doesn't want to be a part of team!!!"... "We do a rollback now or I leave the game!!!".... "Wow! Great idea! Now I'm stuck with only 2 companions at lvl 50!!!".

I think it's a good thing Bioware is protecting us from losing potential companions. Let's just say the world isn't ready for a Mass Effect mmo.

You could kill them once, I think, but now you just have to have them.

(you can see why really it becomes a balance nightmare and whine-fest almost instantly)

Edited by Goretzu

If SWTOR companions could choose to not become a part of your team, the forum would catch on fire. Threads after threads of complaints and demands... "This is stupid! My companion doesn't want to be a part of team!!!"... "We do a rollback now or I leave the game!!!".... "Wow! Great idea! Now I'm stuck with only 2 companions at lvl 50!!!".

I think it's a good thing Bioware is protecting us from losing potential companions. Let's just say the world isn't ready for a Mass Effect mmo.

Oh no, I definitely want to recruit everyone, but you know, in a lot of games like this some companions are blocked if you don't do a certain quest, or don't find them, etc. Having gone through the game once my impression seemed to be that every companion was on the main story line and seemed like they had to join - I was just curious if I was wrong about that. The game does get lonely in the mid-levels waiting for the first new companion to show up since the starting planet :)

I know you used to be able to actually kill certain companions back in beta but they took that out. wouldn't surprised me if at one point in game you could actually opt out of taking them on board to begin with but then players said 'uh-uh mistake!'

Sith warrior story point spoiler inc...

I was really disappointed

that I couldn't kill Quinn after he betrayed my Sith Jugg. Pretty much all I could do was say "lol no worries bro, see ya back on the ship"

Not very Sithy tbh.

Edited by Chindi

When in Mass Effect could you lose potential companions? Outside of Samara, who gets replaced by her identical twin daughter and no one realizes it save for Kelly and Kasumi, you never have a companion leave you over your choices.

When in Mass Effect could you lose potential companions? Outside of Samara, who gets replaced by her identical twin daughter and no one realizes it save for Kelly and Kasumi, you never have a companion leave you over your choices.

ME1: Kill Wrex, kill Kaidan or Ashley, you had the potential to never recruit Wrex or Garrus.

ME2: Morinth/Samara, Zaeed can die during his loyalty mission, Legion can be sold to Cerberus, Grunt can remain casked.

ME3: Tali swandive, kill remaining ME1 squadmember. Lost companions depending on deaths in ME2.

In Mass Effect, you could completely skip recruiting Garrus & Wrex. Not sure about the others.

You can kill Wrex on Virmire, and you HAVE TO choose one squad member to be left behind.

In Mass Effect 2, you could kill off your entire crew during the suicide mission (even though you had to save at least one of them so they could pull Shepard back to the ship in the end).

In Mass Effect 3, you get the option to kill the Virmire survivor during the council hostage situation.

And I'm sure there were plenty other options I don't really remember (killing Zaeed during his recruitment mission comes to mind now).

And yeah, I agree that humanity isn't ready for an MMO like that. These forums would turn into one giant whine-fest. Bigger than now, I mean.

EDIT: one minute too late. Meh.

Edited by Naphariel

ME1: Kill Wrex, kill Kaidan or Ashley, you had the potential to never recruit Wrex or Garrus.

ME2: Morinth/Samara, Zaeed can die during his loyalty mission, Legion can be sold to Cerberus, Grunt can remain casked.

ME3: Tali swandive, kill remaining ME1 squadmember. Lost companions depending on deaths in ME2.

Wait, I thought it was impossible to see Fisk without seeing Garrus first or asking Wrex about it.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

You kind of need those companions. They make up your entire crew. Without them, you're just a guy in a robe talking to yourself.

That's pretty crazy.

Actually you only need 1 of them. They did a huge mistake and giving you the player 5 companions.'

Everyone should have no more then 3. 1 tank 1 healer 1 dps.

Of course sadly the companions role is nothing else in swtor something that will have to die first so the players

can maybe kill that mob group without maybe dying himself.

Companions is a sad joke in swtor. The tanking companions cant tank what so ever.They can

take agroo but that about it. The healing companions are a complete joke, and at low midd lvl they have no function what so ever. Same with the "DPS" companions.Their dps is well a joke to be honest.

Sad fact is unless you are +4 to any mob in this game you will feel un heroic and like a joke

Why will you feel like a joke ? because without companions in swtor you will die do any mob group

like 2 strong mobs and 3 weak mobs in no time.Companions have 1 purpose, to be killed within a time

that you can manage to kill most of the enemies if you are lucky.You know like other games the "hero" is you.

Not in swtor, your just someone to follow a line while getting companions you need to grind gear for in the hope they actually have a good story to them.

My advice is, grind mobs you own lvl alway until the mobs are -5 your lvl then do the mission, atleast that way you will feel alittle heroic and can sometimes solo the stronger mobs groups.Now a skilled player have np taking on mobs his own lvl i'm talking about new players to the mmo genra etc and players who is not so good as some of the others more veteran players.

But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

well obviously the companions aren't supposed to be a replacement for an actual player :rolleyes:

and I disagree, too. Corso tanks way better than certain players I've seen, and on my juggernaut (tank specced) I was always quite survivable with quinn's heals.

I also switch between companions depending on what I'm doing (dps for normal questing, tank/heals for bossfights)

Edited by amnie

I know you used to be able to actually kill certain companions back in beta but they took that out. wouldn't surprised me if at one point in game you could actually opt out of taking them on board to begin with but then players said 'uh-uh mistake!'

i would have killed quinn in a heart beat.. who cares if i cant send out a 5th companion and keep a guy out with me.. maybe they will let us kill them when more companions become avaliable.

i would have killed quinn in a heart beat.. who cares if i cant send out a 5th companion and keep a guy out with me.. maybe they will let us kill them when more companions become avaliable.

heh, maybe. I wouldn't mind kicking him off my ship, either :mad:

Actually you only need 1 of them. They did a huge mistake and giving you the player 5 companions.'

Everyone should have no more then 3. 1 tank 1 healer 1 dps.

Of course sadly the companions role is nothing else in swtor something that will have to die first so the players

can maybe kill that mob group without maybe dying himself.

Companions is a sad joke in swtor. The tanking companions cant tank what so ever.They can

take agroo but that about it. The healing companions are a complete joke, and at low midd lvl they have no function what so ever. Same with the "DPS" companions.Their dps is well a joke to be honest.

Sad fact is unless you are +4 to any mob in this game you will feel un heroic and like a joke

Why will you feel like a joke ? because without companions in swtor you will die do any mob group

like 2 strong mobs and 3 weak mobs in no time.Companions have 1 purpose, to be killed within a time

that you can manage to kill most of the enemies if you are lucky.You know like other games the "hero" is you.

Not in swtor, your just someone to follow a line while getting companions you need to grind gear for in the hope they actually have a good story to them.

My advice is, grind mobs you own lvl alway until the mobs are -5 your lvl then do the mission, atleast that way you will feel alittle heroic and can sometimes solo the stronger mobs groups.Now a skilled player have np taking on mobs his own lvl i'm talking about new players to the mmo genra etc and players who is not so good as some of the others more veteran players.

But as i said, everyone really only need 1 companion in this game, if they gave everyone a healer that could actually heal thats all the backup you would ever need.The only reason one would care about more companions as i said would have to be for the story aspect around them.

I'm level 47, and have used Khem as my tank since I got him. A day or two ago, I traded him in for Xalek, and last night, we finished my class story arc. Most of the way through my levelling, I have been questing at one or two levels above my level, and have not had a single problem with either of my tank companions.

Both Khem Val and Xalek make for excellent tanks (even with Xalek's shield being bugged).

I hope that in Chapter IV (Post-50 content when it comes around) we get optional companions. Just think.

By 50, you have...

Your two tanks

Your healer

Your Melee DPS

Your ranged DPS

So why not have the option to say "forget you" to any new companions coming around? Lazy bum of a Bith trying to hitch a ride on your BH's ship? Heck no! Or maybe that potential Geonosian Companion insulted you one time too many? Go be eaten by a Rancor.

Sure, people might get upset, but at least people won't be losing their only healing companion.