No-Cover Build

Serondil

Hi there

So I love playing a gunslinger, but i, like many others really despise the cover mechanic. To me, a gunslinger should be like the one in the Returning Cinematic. When in trouble they should be able to charge in, guns blazing, with loads of Utility and damage.

Now, especially in PvP ive been really looking for the build and way how to best do this. Now the goal is to use No or as litle as possible cover. Currently i got to the build posted below which does give alot of potential on CC (with the slow effects of Shock Charge/Shrap Bomb while still providing the break out extra from Dirty Trickster. It also provides a bit more Burst potential due to the buffed thermal grenade and XS Freighter as well as critical on AOE (alltough i'm not 100% sure that theram nade and shrap bomb aoe are affected by this). In this build i only use cover for pulse detonator as an 'Oh-crap'-move but other than that, no cover what so ever. Due to the utility and slows i can actually kite marauders with this pretty well

build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZbIM0RMbZGbbkrbRRr.3

Currently I am really loving the playstyle of this as it's uber mobile and still has good damage potential. It also has a more Gun's Blazing feeling with the burst damage annd not necesairily have to build up all your attacks. If anyone has some tips and pointers about this build pls discuss.

I was also thinking about another build by going more into sharpshooter and only taking Steady Shots 2/2, Balistic Dampers 2/2 Sharpshooter 1/3 and Cover screen 2/2. The points to get these would go out of Hotwired Defenses (-2), Arsonist(-2) and Dealer's Discount(-1). The idea behind this build would be to toggle out and into cover always just before combat (so actually not fighting inside cover) to get the 2 defense buffs for increased survivability. Alltough again. I'm not sure that balistic Dampners stay on when you leave cover. Anyone know?

build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rzMZbIM0kMZGbbkrbRor.3

Discuss, :)

First of all, you're gimping yourself by not using Cover and leaving yourself open to interrupts, pulls, leaps and even ability pushback(!). You should bind a key to Take cover in place (if you haven't already, do not use the skill on your bar which consumes a GCD IIRC), this way you can quickly take cover when channeling a skill and IMO removes much of the annoyances some (many?) have with Cover. I'm just saying this because I see these kind of threads pop up every now and then :)

Cover is a blessing, not a curse!

That said, you're using the most mobile spec we have; the beloved Hybrid. Great burst and perfect for pillar humping (LoS) while doing good damage. Downsides are your defensive options and running around out of cover is in my experience a hazard, you're begging to be jumped/pulled/gibbed unless you're careful. I'm sure you put out some great numbers in this spec. :)

My personal favorite is MM (aka. anti smash!), which I find very mobile once you figure it out, though it suffers from LoS issues.. doesn't bother me much ;)

First of all, you're gimping yourself by not using Cover and leaving yourself open to interrupts, pulls, leaps and even ability pushback(!). You should bind a key to Take cover in place (if you haven't already, do not use the skill on your bar which consumes a GCD IIRC), this way you can quickly take cover when channeling a skill and IMO removes much of the annoyances some (many?) have with Cover. I'm just saying this because I see these kind of threads pop up every now and then :)

yea see the issue is not that i can not use cover. I can use it fine. The issue is that it is not how i feel a gunslinger playstyle should be. I don't have an annoyance with it, i despise it for being a main mechanic in a class that i feel story wise should be the exact opposite.

Cover is a blessing, not a curse!

i disagree

That said, you're using the most mobile spec we have; the beloved Hybrid. Great burst and perfect for pillar humping (LoS) while doing good damage. Downsides are your defensive options and running around out of cover is in my experience a hazard, you're begging to be jumped/pulled/gibbed unless you're careful. I'm sure you put out some great numbers in this spec. :)

Still tough, becuz of the slows and more escapes (surrender) I can still get away with being jumped from time to time.

in any case. I don't hvae an issue with no being able to use cover. I just choose not too as it feels so wrong class-wise.

yea see the issue is not that i can not use cover. I can use it fine. The issue is that it is not how i feel a gunslinger playstyle should be. I don't have an annoyance with it, i despise it for being a main mechanic in a class that i feel story wise should be the exact opposite.

Why Do you have a problem with it? It's the mirror to a Sniper Class. You cant have mirrors with 2 totally different Playstyles. If you want to play going in Guns Blazing then Play a Vanguard or Powertech. Gunslingers are meant to be Ranged Damage medium armor. And Bioware will not change that. Or if you still like the smuggler storyline and want Guns Blazing then play a Scoundrel.

I just choose not too as it feels so wrong class-wise.

Well your Gimping yourself REALLY hard... Cover has a chance to completely make attacks miss. So Yea your really harshly gimping yourself there.

My responses in Red.

Cover is an amazing mechanic. Takes time to get used to, but slipping in and out should become like breathing, and at that point you simply can't play other ranged classes without your finger darting towards that cover hey, and the ensuing disappointment when it doesn't find it.

The only inconvenience is having to have different keys for taking cover in place and cover rolls (which is basically free 6-meter covered escape, minus special effects).

Personally I use key F to take cover in place and Shift+F for Covered Escape.

I like to PvP with this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700rRbrdRkRrfkdzZ0cZh.3

-Shorter CD on Leg Shot, for better to troll those leapers

-6 seconds 50% movement speed and Root immunity after Hunker Down, really nice to avoid all those roots when you need to get away quickly

-3 sec Hunker Down after Covered Escape

-Longer Trauma on Flourish Shot plus a short 70% snare/slow on Leg Shot

-60% AoE damage reduction while Hunkered Down, basically nullifying Smash and other AoE damage

Used correctly this build is extremely mobile for a turret class, and there's a lot of synergy with other skills :)

I'm in many ways playing my scoundrel as a gunslinger, with heavy emphasis on cover BUT with the option of being up close and person when the situation calls for it. Perhaps that would have been a better option for you.

On that note, I think a lot of the people who are complaining about scoundrel DPS would benefit from actually utilizing the cover mechanic and related abilties instead of seemingly thinking that all damage should come from a stealth burst.