Sniper survivability trough leveling

iamnotacrook

I am soon gonna level up a Sniper for the first time and wanna have some knowledge about this stuff before starting. Don't really wanna test my way trough, it's a pain in the a** even it is free to reset the skill tree. Gonna go after the majority of opinions.

Question is with the skill trees. Wich skill tree gives you best survivability trough leveling? I mean, i've read a lot about Snipers/Gunslingers doing a lot of damage. I know that that you don't get the healer companion untill Taris, so the high amount of damage should help to survive during the fights with mobs and elits.

I do not tend of doing heroics, fp's and pvp... only the usual missions.

Of what i i've read so far is that Marksmanship and Lethiality are the favourites. But it is kind of hard to deicide, please give your opinion if you have gone trough a Sniper to 50-55.

Edited by iamnotacrook

There is no concern of survivability during leveling.

You're not gonna die in class and basic content whichever class you play, unless you make mistakes that will kill you no matter which class you are.

That said, your defensive talents will mostly be in Mark with a few in Eng.

Start in engi tree till you get to the 30s. As far as low level talents it gets quite a bit from them. After the 30s it w/e spec u want really, whatever is more apealing to ya, pew pew, kaboom zap burn, or dot dot dead.

As far as survivablility as long as you keep your gear on level you should be fine. Using daily comms is a great way to upkeep your gear

Haha, yeah. But you agree on that i should go Eng. untill 30's?

Yes, absolutely. The bottom tiers of the engineer tree are much more useful for pve solo leveling early on.

I personally went MM all the way, and you CAN...but engineering would be easier, for sure.

Edited by islander

Bottom Tier Engineering talents like the Cover Heal and EMP Discharge make Engineering really good for below 30 players. After you hit 30 though it's purely your choice. you can pick Marksman for really fast killing, Engineering for good AOE, or Lethality for DoT damage. After you hit 55 though I HIGHLY recommend the Engi/Lethality Hybrid build, It's currently the highest parsing DPS class in the entire game if i recall correctly.

Bottom Tier Engineering talents like the Cover Heal and EMP Discharge make Engineering really good for below 30 players. After you hit 30 though it's purely your choice. you can pick Marksman for really fast killing, Engineering for good AOE, or Lethality for DoT damage. After you hit 55 though I HIGHLY recommend the Engi/Lethality Hybrid build, It's currently the highest parsing DPS class in the entire game if i recall correctly.

All thanks for the tip :)

I agree with Engineering until Trickshot/Cull (depending on which tree you go) is available because they're vital to the spec usefulness. Besides, Engineering offers some amazing damage-increasers, where-as the other trees are simply building up to something. On top of the best AoE you can expect early on (Engineerings toolbelt, making Thermal Grenade almost spamable.)

As for survivability, it's indeed more how you play it, however it's also the reason I went Marksman, not because of what the tree has to offer, but because it's single target (mostly) meaning I'd focus on the weak ones while Kaliyo controls the others and builds enough threat to not lose it. After the fight I get on my speeder or use my rocket boost and boem, our lovely tank is back at full HP. In any AoE heavy spec, Kaliyo simply didn't stand a chance. Though tiny bit of a hybrid was nice with Corrosive Grenade and Thermal Grenade on the big in numbers mobs, I always needed to heal up after, should have used Lokin for that.

But honestly, not a worry in any spec, Shield Probe, Evasion and a pushback? Sweet.

I agree with Engineering until Trickshot/Cull (depending on which tree you go) is available because they're vital to the spec usefulness. Besides, Engineering offers some amazing damage-increasers, where-as the other trees are simply building up to something. On top of the best AoE you can expect early on (Engineerings toolbelt, making Thermal Grenade almost spamable.)

As for survivability, it's indeed more how you play it, however it's also the reason I went Marksman, not because of what the tree has to offer, but because it's single target (mostly) meaning I'd focus on the weak ones while Kaliyo controls the others and builds enough threat to not lose it. After the fight I get on my speeder or use my rocket boost and boem, our lovely tank is back at full HP. In any AoE heavy spec, Kaliyo simply didn't stand a chance. Though tiny bit of a hybrid was nice with Corrosive Grenade and Thermal Grenade on the big in numbers mobs, I always needed to heal up after, should have used Lokin for that.

But honestly, not a worry in any spec, Shield Probe, Evasion and a pushback? Sweet.

Meaning, you got the Marksman after 30's along with some from the Enginering, for single tarket dps and uses Kaliyo for taunts?

Meaning, you got the Marksman after 30's along with some from the Enginering, for single tarket dps and uses Kaliyo for taunts?

Yes, I took it after I could take trickshot, because before that it's a bit mediocre compared to engineering. You'll become a real beast at level 36 if I recall correctly due to series of shots, which is vital to any rotation and plain awesome.

I indeed used Kaliyo as tank and still use a tank companion (Treek currently) if I run Marksmanship, but for anything AoE heavy (Corrosive Grenade is already too heavy for tank companions at times ;)) you will in almost any case be better of with a healer, though both is do-able. I'm likely the only person who preffered Kaliyo's +/- 450 DPS over Lokins 800 HPS/150 DPS because Jet Boosts and Speeders heal them up straight away, but since we're not prone to ability-pushback it hardly matters. Treek is amazing in what-ever stance you put her so I've become a very lazy sniper. I didn't take Engineering points until after Sniper Volley (though arguably 9% cunning is worth delaying Sniper Volley for) but that's a preferance thing.

But really don't worry. Lokin (or Kaliyo, but Lokin is better undergeared and does fine in your old gear) and Evasion, Defensive Probe and your Pushback will make you near invulnerable during leveling, no matter what spec. Play what you enjoy (or think you'll enjoy)

Yes, I took it after I could take trickshot, because before that it's a bit mediocre compared to engineering. You'll become a real beast at level 36 if I recall correctly due to series of shots, which is vital to any rotation and plain awesome.

I indeed used Kaliyo as tank and still use a tank companion (Treek currently) if I run Marksmanship, but for anything AoE heavy (Corrosive Grenade is already too heavy for tank companions at times ;)) you will in almost any case be better of with a healer, though both is do-able. I'm likely the only person who preffered Kaliyo's +/- 450 DPS over Lokins 800 HPS/150 DPS because Jet Boosts and Speeders heal them up straight away, but since we're not prone to ability-pushback it hardly matters. Treek is amazing in what-ever stance you put her so I've become a very lazy sniper. I didn't take Engineering points until after Sniper Volley (though arguably 9% cunning is worth delaying Sniper Volley for) but that's a preferance thing.

But really don't worry. Lokin (or Kaliyo, but Lokin is better undergeared and does fine in your old gear) and Evasion, Defensive Probe and your Pushback will make you near invulnerable during leveling, no matter what spec. Play what you enjoy (or think you'll enjoy)

Something like this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrrzRkRrrkdzZrc.3 ?

Can anyone post via torhead the best hybrid skill tree for heavy dps for ops and fp's? i have a sniper lvl 27 and o make him just for the buff but i love the way he do damage that i am thinking of making him my main character! i need a good dps skill tree for pve and i need to know about the stats, should i consult the stats that noxxic gives?