Jedi have children?

vandurlast

During Act 1 of the Consular story it comes up that a certain Padawan is the daughter of a certain Master. No one really seems to comment much on it but isnt it unusual that a Jedi would have a child at all? I know from early Jedi missions that love/romance is forbidden to them so how do you end up with Jedi who have kids?

Is there some kind of Force Sensitive Master Race breeding program??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jedi can get the permission to get married. Their children are raised by the Order. Of course you have to ask first and probably already have graduated. So the padawans have no permission, while the master might have got the permission some thime ago.

Their children are raised by the Order.

Yeah jedi are allowed to marry but it is allowed for a select group of jedi who the order deems worthy and who wont get to emotionally attached

....and they say the Sith are the evil ones.

That's just downright cruel.

:jawa_evil:

Edited by JediElf

....and they say the Sith are the evil ones.

That's just downright cruel.

Well, I think it is formulated as "they can attach" and "they have to stay detached". Sound like: It is ok to be a little attached, but not to much. I think it is not more cruel then some marriage tradition here on earth.

(I would rather have a Jedi marriage like this then something like Lord Gratham.

His wife married him for power and plots his death that her son can take over.

)

Edited by Maaruin

Yeah jedi are allowed to marry but it is allowed for a select group of jedi who the order deems worthy and who wont get to emotionally attached

Also sometimes for rarer species. For instance Ki-Adi Mundi was allowed to have multiple wives due to the low population of Cereans in the galaxy, but yes on pretty much that same condition.

Up to the Great Sith War, some Jedi did practice marriage and were known to have families of their own. There were even cases of families consisting entirely of Jedi, such as that of Andur Sunrider. The children of Jedi families were often gifted in the Force. Even later in the Order, such families existed—though the continuation of the line was through those family members who did not become Jedi. Famous Jedi families of the late Republic included the Koon family and the Diath family.

However, it appears that some Jedi might have been granted the right to marry, not as a special case, but as a norm. Several Corellian Jedi (Keiran Halcyon during the Old Republic, and Corran Horn in the time of the New Republic) were allowed to marry and raise children without repercussion. Whether this was due to an agreement between the Jedi and the planetary government—Corellia is known for its family-centric culture—or purely personal choices made against the Jedi Code is not known, except in the case of Nejaa Halcyon, who married his wife secretly without the approval of the Council. Corellian Jedi often had many other noticeable differences from the traditional Jedi ways, such as in clothing and a reluctance to take on missions outside of their home system.

By the time of the New Jedi Order, the practice of forbidding or discouraging marriages had been discarded, as many of the Order's members had spouses and children, including the Order's Grand Master himself, whose wife was another Jedi Master

To add another comment:

Satela Shan (grandmaster of the Order) has a son, Theron Shan, and furthermore she is the descendant of Bastila and Revan.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

The order wouldn't throw you out for that. It's advised against and perhaps frowned upon, but the Jedi aren't drones. If you romance the Lt as a consular, it's explained quite profoundly. The Lt gets a call from a Jedi master and gets asked a series of questions regarding the affair and if the relationship isn't destructive and both realize what a Jedi is trained for and that the non-jedi understands what they are getting themselves into. If both are level-headed about it and don't try to hide or justify or deny it, the order is fine with it.

Up to the Great Sith War, some Jedi did practice marriage and were known to have families of their own. There were even cases of families consisting entirely of Jedi, such as that of Andur Sunrider. The children of Jedi families were often gifted in the Force. Even later in the Order, such families existed—though the continuation of the line was through those family members who did not become Jedi. Famous Jedi families of the late Republic included the Koon family and the Diath family.

However, it appears that some Jedi might have been granted the right to marry, not as a special case, but as a norm. Several Corellian Jedi (Keiran Halcyon during the Old Republic, and Corran Horn in the time of the New Republic) were allowed to marry and raise children without repercussion. Whether this was due to an agreement between the Jedi and the planetary government—Corellia is known for its family-centric culture—or purely personal choices made against the Jedi Code is not known, except in the case of Nejaa Halcyon, who married his wife secretly without the approval of the Council. Corellian Jedi often had many other noticeable differences from the traditional Jedi ways, such as in clothing and a reluctance to take on missions outside of their home system.

By the time of the New Jedi Order, the practice of forbidding or discouraging marriages had been discarded, as many of the Order's members had spouses and children, including the Order's Grand Master himself, whose wife was another Jedi Master

To add another comment:

Satela Shan (grandmaster of the Order) has a son, Theron Shan, and furthermore she is the descendant of Bastila and Revan.

Corran Horn was allowed to get married and have a family as were ALL the Jedi in the New Jedi Order under Luke Skywalker. He saw no reason to be a "love nazi", for lack of a better word like previous Jedi Councils.

Plo Koon was given special dispensation by the Prequel Council because of his race's low birth rate. He did not care for them as a husband or father, though. He was ordered by the Council not to form any attachments.

During the TOR era, the Council isn't quite as draconian about it as they are in the prequels, but it's still pretty bad. You find out during the Kira romance arc just how stifling they can be.

1. Both Jedi have to be born into the Order, or raised from a very early age by the Order. Even then, there is no guarantee that they would be able to marry. They have to prove to the Council that they have can handle it and not form an attachment. After the wedding night, any further contact between then is regulated by the Council.

2. If a child is born to the couple, he or she is taken immediately from the parents and raised by the Order.

3. If the parents wish to see the child, they must obtain permission from the Council to do so.

4. The Council does routine checks on the couple to make sure they do not form attachments.

5. If the Council deems that any attachments have formed between the Couple, they have a choice. Have the marriage annulled and be banned from seeing each other ever again, or have their connection to the Force severed and be kicked out of the Order.

Like Elf said: "And they say the Sith are the evil ones." Sums it up perfectly, right there.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Corran Horn was allowed to get married and have a family as were ALL the Jedi in the New Jedi Order under Luke Skywalker. He saw no reason to be a "love nazi", for lack of a better word like previous Jedi Councils.

Plo Koon was given special dispensation by the Prequel Council because of his race's low birth rate. He did not care for them as a husband or father, though. He was ordered by the Council not to form any attachments.

During the TOR era, the Council isn't quite as draconian about it as they are in the prequels, but it's still pretty bad. You find out during the Kira romance arc just how stifling they can be.

1. Both Jedi have to be born into the Order, or raised from a very early age by the Order. Even then, there is no guarantee that they would be able to marry. They have to prove to the Council that they have can handle it and not form an attachment. After the wedding night, any further contact between then is regulated by the Council.

2. If a child is born to the couple, he or she is taken immediately from the parents and raised by the Order.

3. If the parents wish to see the child, they must obtain permission from the Council to do so.

4. The Council does routine checks on the couple to make sure they do not form attachments.

5. If the Council deems that any attachments have formed between the Couple, they have a choice. Have the marriage annulled and be banned from seeing each other ever again, or have their connection to the Force severed and be kicked out of the Order.

Like Elf said: "And they say the Sith are the evil ones." Sums it up perfectly, right there.

That is completely and utterly different from the Consular one. I imagine Kira is a special case due to her being... you know.

That is completely and utterly different from the Consular one. I imagine Kira is a special case due to her being... you know.

I haven't played the Consular one, but that was the 411 Kira was able to dig up during her investigation. Yeah, she was actually disqualified because she was 10 when Master ******* brought her into the Order. Too old to qualify to get married.

EDIT: Seriously???? It bleeps out K i w i i k s??? That's Kira's master's NAME!!! WTH????

Edited by Captain_Zone

During Act 1 of the Consular story it comes up that a certain Padawan is the daughter of a certain Master. No one really seems to comment much on it but isnt it unusual that a Jedi would have a child at all? I know from early Jedi missions that love/romance is forbidden to them so how do you end up with Jedi who have kids?

Is there some kind of Force Sensitive Master Race breeding program??

Last time i checked you dont need emotion to **** someone and have a kid.

I haven't played the Consular one, but that was the 411 Kira was able to dig up during her investigation. Yeah, she was actually disqualified because she was 10 when Master ******* brought her into the Order. Too old to qualify to get married.

EDIT: Seriously???? It bleeps out K i w i i k s??? That's Kira's master's NAME!!! WTH????

No, I mean that what you listed isn't at all how the council handled Consular having a thing with the one companion whose name I can't remember, the soldier. It was more like "Since you are honest and open about the relationship, and you both know what you are getting into, we have no problem with it". It's the Jedi who are afraid of the masters if they knew (first mistake) that try to hide and sneak around (second mistake) that the rules are there for. It's a mind-game really. If you really believe them to be so cruel as to severe one from the force then you've failed as a Jedi already. Jedi are supposed to be wise enough to understand and if they don't, well, they failed as a Jedi and can be shoved into the archives on those grounds to begin with, as they can't handle field duty anyway.

It's like "here is a set of rules that you must not break" if you break them and lie about it to the council, you've failed. If you're honest and open about it, they would most likely help you.

No, I mean that what you listed isn't at all how the council handled Consular having a thing with the one companion whose name I can't remember, the soldier. It was more like "Since you are honest and open about the relationship, and you both know what you are getting into, we have no problem with it". It's the Jedi who are afraid of the masters if they knew (first mistake) that try to hide and sneak around (second mistake) that the rules are there for. It's a mind-game really. If you really believe them to be so cruel as to severe one from the force then you've failed as a Jedi already. Jedi are supposed to be wise enough to understand and if they don't, well, they failed as a Jedi and can be shoved into the archives on those grounds to begin with, as they can't handle field duty anyway.

It's like "here is a set of rules that you must not break" if you break them and lie about it to the council, you've failed. If you're honest and open about it, they would most likely help you.

Wow, that's almost as cruel.... Yeah, I'm not down with headgames on that scale. That's just sadistic....

Wow, that's almost as cruel.... Yeah, I'm not down with headgames on that scale. That's just sadistic....

Jedi are always tested in trials by fire, that is no different. It is a trial of the mind and if a Jedi can keep a level head even with love involved. I see no problem with it at all.

I mean, you get thrown into nests of fleshraiders, things that take down Jedi knights, armed with a training saber. That's like throwing you into a bear den with your bare hands.

Edited by Jandi

It bascially comes down to the fact if you lie about it what else will you lie to them about. If you are honest with them and your history with the order is such that they have no reasons not to trust you in this matter, than they would most likely not have a problem.

It's the lying and hiding that causes a problem.

Sort of like that padawan you run across in Tython that was trying to lift a rock and ask you to do it and his master comes up and sees it and he tries to lie his way out of it .

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Jedi are always tested in trials by fire, that is no different. It is a trial of the mind and if a Jedi can keep a level head even with love involved. I see no problem with it at all.

I mean, you get thrown into nests of fleshraiders, things that take down Jedi knights, armed with a training saber. That's like throwing you into a bear den with your bare hands.

At least the Sith are upfront about it. Do what you want, but just obey your Lord or Darth until something comes up and you get the chance to kill him/her.

Besides, trolling Jedi Masters isn't near as much fun as trolling Darth Baras or Thana Vesh or even Zash. Zash is downright hilarious and has the wits to match you barb for barb, too. Some of her comebacks are priceless. :D

It bascially comes down to the fact if you lie about it what else will you lie to them about. If you are honest with them and your history with the order is such that they have no reasons not to trust you in this matter, than they would most likely not have a problem.

It's the lying and hiding that causes a problem.

Kira and I aren't hiding it. We're just not telling anyone. Nobody's asked. :D

At least the Sith are upfront about it. Do what you want, but just obey your Lord or Darth until something comes up and you get the chance to kill him/her.

Besides, trolling Jedi Masters isn't near as much fun as trolling Darth Baras or Thana Vesh or even Zash. Zash is downright hilarious and has the wits to match you barb for barb, too. Some of her comebacks are priceless. :D

That's beside the point. It's true though, I was laughing my behind off when I said to Baras "problems?" And he facepalmed. Zash is also awesome. It's a shame how things went down with Baras, I would have happily kept on killing for him without any desires for his power.

Kira and I aren't hiding it. We're just not telling anyone. Nobody's asked. :D

On the Consular, there is an option to keep it a secret. I told him "No, we need to inform the council" and as such, the council was fine with it. That's exactly my point. No one asks the Consular either.

Edited by Jandi

That's beside the point. It's true though, I was laughing my behind off when I said to Baras "problems?" And he facepalmed. Zash is also awesome. It's a shame how things went down with Baras, I would have happily kept on killing for him without any desires for his power.

Meh. Darth Cartman got what he deserved. Banished to some forgotten rock of Vowrawn's choosing. Hell, Vowrawn's probably the only Sith Lord I didn't troll. Mostly because he's funny as hell and a stand-up guy. :D

"If only we could sell tickets!", "I feel a hundred years younger!", and lines like that had me rolling!

But anyhow, it's the Jedi that make the Sith way of life look so awesome. They restrict everything and the Revised Code they follow makes it even harder. It's much more restrictively worded than the Original Code, and much more open to misinterpretation.

The impression I always get from their regulations and restrictions is that they want every Jedi to be a drone. I know quite a few others with the same view of it. Their entire philosophy seems to be "If we don't like it, we ban it."

The number of Jedi who have fallen because of a bad relationship or because their family got wiped out by bad guys is quite a bit less than the number of Jedi who fell because they just wanted more power.

I like Luke's philosophy: "Don't ban stuff. Deal with situations on a case by case basis." I could see being a Jedi in his Order. But in TOR? Forget it. If my Knight would have been banned from getting any, I would have said "To hell with this!" and played my Warrior more. It's bad enough that the Knight gets DS points for starting a romance in the first place.

On the Consular, there is an option to keep it a secret. I told him "No, we need to inform the council" and as such, the council was fine with it. That's exactly my point. No one asks the Consular either.

It never even came up in conversation with Kira. Also, I do believe the rules are a bit different for a Jedi marrying a non-Force user. The regs I posted earlier were for Jedi/Jedi marriages.

EDIT: Just remembered it DID come up once, but telling the Council wasn't an option.

Edited by Captain_Zone

I mostly play Sith because it's more fun, especially the Inquisitor. Who can argue with logic like "Insanity should be embraced! Your enemies can't defeat you if they don't know what's coming!" I only made a Consular to unlock Miraluka and to see that side of the game and, at least the Jedi are too stoic for my tastes. The Inquisitor is bat-**** crazy, and I love it.