Bioware, when can we get a word on player housing?

ISDcaptain

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think we would have housing, like in Star Wars Galaxies or Lotro but it would be nice to have a guild ship and be allowed to decorate our own ships. I have been in our guild for 8 years now, in SWG we had player cities and in Lotro there are instanced vllages, where we have our kinship house.

As a guild it is nice to have a place to call home, have meetings in, and be able to add content to. Houses would clutter up planets like they did in Star Wars Galaxies but i would like to see intanced guild fleet ships with ingame content members did allocating points to the guild who could use these to upgrade and add content to the ship (little but like guildwars system i believe).

As for our own ships (and vehicles) i would like new skins. Someone months and months ago suggested adding a colour crystal to vehicles to change its colour which devs loved the idea but nothing came of it.

SWG had totally open modifications on housing, ships, change skins, drop items anywhere etc. Lotro had a more basic version with selected places you could add certain furniture ie large wall item, floor item, and you could change items over, i would like to see something similar in tor with perhaps in future more crafting options, architect (furniture), tailor (apative clothing with many colour choices) etc

Guild ships will come before any sort of additional player housing.

I am sure Bioware along with most players (vast majority) feel any more player housing should be WAY down the list of priorities. So far down they may need to make a new bottom for it.

Guild ships will come before any sort of additional player housing.

I am sure Bioware along with most players (vast majority) feel any more player housing should be WAY down the list of priorities. So far down they may need to make a new bottom for it.

Vast majority? Yeah right. Player housing provides immersion, which this game seriously lacks

I would be fine if they just let us recustomize our ships. The Jedi ship in particular needs a lot of love. Like what is with the room that has the cargo hold? It's just an empty room. An empty room that would be better utilized as a crew quarters-- which is also lacking from the Jedi ship.

And I would love to be able to move things like my parsing dummies, mailbox, gtn, etc to wherever I want. I'm not asking for much.

Really? Player housing is the reason that TOR will fail?

The thing is, BW from the start set out to create an MMO that broke the mold of previous MMOs like WoW. They wanted to do more story driven, instanced questing which they delivered on. However you look upon that, they certainly invested the majority of their effort on accomplishing that goal, and left other plans on the back burner.

TOR is not a sandbox MMO and it never set out to be. Complaining that it isn't and hoping/begging for features that other current or bygone MMOs have/had is futile. At its core, they built the game around a concept that is incompatible with features that you will only find in a sandbox MMO.

The mere fact that what you or I may consider simple things to add to the game, like being able to sit in chairs and chat bubbles, are actually monumental challenges for the dev team, speaks volumes. Now look at the amount of work just to bring to fruition a new planet, which was actually set in motion years ago. After Makeb, I wouldn't expect any kind of major update to the game for at least a year, if not more, if the game even lasts that long.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic. IMO, BW set themselves up with grand ambitions, banking on the fact that SW = $$$ no matter what they did. Just getting TOR out the door into the hands of paying players would then allow them to flesh it out with all the really cool things that they wanted to do from the start. But in reality, just getting it out the door in a playable condition meant going over budget, compounded by a sharp drop-off in subs, means cutbacks and skeleton crews. Goals need to be re-evaluated as they shift to survival mode.

In the end, you have to be happy with what you have now. If you can't then either quit or take a break and check back from time to time to see if X has changed or been added. Otherwise you will never be satisfied.

Really? Player housing is the reason that TOR will fail?

The thing is, BW from the start set out to create an MMO that broke the mold of previous MMOs like WoW. They wanted to do more story driven, instanced questing which they delivered on. However you look upon that, they certainly invested the majority of their effort on accomplishing that goal, and left other plans on the back burner.

TOR is not a sandbox MMO and it never set out to be. Complaining that it isn't and hoping/begging for features that other current or bygone MMOs have/had is futile. At its core, they built the game around a concept that is incompatible with features that you will only find in a sandbox MMO.

The mere fact that what you or I may consider simple things to add to the game, like being able to sit in chairs and chat bubbles, are actually monumental challenges for the dev team, speaks volumes. Now look at the amount of work just to bring to fruition a new planet, which was actually set in motion years ago. After Makeb, I wouldn't expect any kind of major update to the game for at least a year, if not more, if the game even lasts that long.

I'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic. IMO, BW set themselves up with grand ambitions, banking on the fact that SW = $$$ no matter what they did. Just getting TOR out the door into the hands of paying players would then allow them to flesh it out with all the really cool things that they wanted to do from the start. But in reality, just getting it out the door in a playable condition meant going over budget, compounded by a sharp drop-off in subs, means cutbacks and skeleton crews. Goals need to be re-evaluated as they shift to survival mode.

In the end, you have to be happy with what you have now. If you can't then either quit or take a break and check back from time to time to see if X has changed or been added. Otherwise you will never be satisfied.

Break the mold? We got a barebones WOW-clone with a story and cheesy voice overs. Star wars is all about freedom. Its about YOUR saga, not the one bioware made for you. No wonder this game lost so many subs in such a small time frame

Every character in this game already has something called a.... wait for it.... personal ship.

I got a revolutionary idea for Bioware, give players a bunch of options to... wait for it... personalize their ships.

At this point I think any dinky personalization options would go a long way to silence these guys. (are they even guys? I mean, all they want to do is decorate interiors and put up wallpaper)

But while we are on the subject of...

PLAYER HOUSING.

NO THANK YOU,

DO NOT WANT.

every character in this game already has something called a.... Wait for it.... Personal ship.

I got a revolutionary idea for bioware, give players a bunch of options to... Wait for it... Personalize their ships.

At this point i think any dinky personalization options would go a long way to silence these guys. (are they even guys? I mean, all they want to do is decorate interiors and put up wallpaper)

but while we are on the subject of...

player housing.

no thank you,

do not want.

no thank you. I expect a quality system, because other MMOs have done this and I only expect the best as a paying customer

Edited by ISDcaptain

The word is: No.

They consider your ship your house.

but it isnt a house, i cant believe you call that a house. Its like giving a person an empty apartment with no lighting, no utilities, cannot bring in his own furniture, no carpet, no nothing. you only hide out there. In the strictest sense it might be "house" but definately not a "home"