Level 40 pvp set for dps: which one?

Draksen

Hello there

Closing slowly but surely level 40, I'll have to start buying my pvp set.

I'm a dps specced guardian, Focus build.

I know I should aim for power and surge,

but the odd thing is that it's the tank set which has surge, not the dps one.

I have the choice between:

- the Vanquisher set, with +accuracy and +power

- the -of inexorable defense set, with +surge and +defense rating

I bet that as I am dps, the Vanquisher is the way to go, but could it be a good idea, with Pve and PvP toughness in mind, to go for the defense set, even for a dps specced guardian?

Thanks for your comments and advices!

I bought the tanking set as I was Defense spec at the time but if I could go back i'd save the commendations until 50.

The set looks great and came in very usefull but wasn't much better than my PVE gear as it didn't have any Expertise. You'd be much better off saving the comms and using them on level 50 equipment.

Also as you can only have 1000 commendations at a time, spend 200 Mercenary Coms (costs 600 WZ Coms) and buy a Champion Bag and keep it in the bank till you hit 50 (you can't open it till you hit 50 and can only have one at a time).

Then buy Mercenary Comms so when you get to 50 you'll have one Champ bag ready to open and enough comms to buy 5 more. You should get Centurion and Champion Coms to get a near full set of level 50 PVP gear with lots of Expertise.

Also 40 to 50 can go past pretty quick.

Edited by Kinrain

Don't buy the medium armor. It may look cooler, but the heavy orange armor gives more armor, which is what's intended for Guardians. I'd go with the Vindicator set. It seems to be pretty common to stack DPS gear even if you're going a tank spec for PvP, so if you're doing DPS anyway, rock that one.

It's great gear, too. I nabbed everything at 40 and I still haven't replaced much of anything at 48. Maybe a mod or two here or there, but that's it.

Edit: As for saving commendations, eh; you've got the whole 40-50 to do that. Splurge on the gear because it's great for helping you through the class quests, then begin saving your 1000 Mercenary and 1000 WZ commendations (plus one Champ Bag!) for 50.

Edited by VictoriousSinner

Honestly, I don't think we get much out of maximizing stats in the 1-49 bracket. I've got the mountain of +Accuracy from the vindicator set and I do very well in PvP, and I don't have problems questing either. Once we hit 50, I think that's where we want to do careful balancing of accuracy, surge, crit, and expertise.

Unfortunately the best maximization is also pretty costly.

Buy the Heavy set, AND the Medium set and change out the mods.

In all honesty, once you hit 40, you will be dominating warzones with or without maximization. Just get the accuracy set for level 40 and you will be fine!