Is it possible that the recent patch actually *fixed* the memory leak?

old_benn

Win8 has increased my performance so that I can now use Shadows on high instead of turning them off *shrug*

Your mileage may wary, but a lot of people just hear "tiles, tiles everywhere, crap for everything that has no touchscreen" without taking more than 30 seconds (if that) to check it out themselves. I like it. Sure, I'm part of a minority on that, but I like it.

And as for "terrible resource hog", it's more responsive than windows 7 (for me) and uses a little under 750 MB of RAM when idle and no programs other than nVidia control panel and some sound thingie run. In a world where 8 GB of DDR3 ram start at about 30 bucks, that's... perfectly okay in my book. Sure, if you open swtor and matlab, running advanced signal analysis with 6 GB files in the latter, those 750 MB may become too much, but then again... just don't do that?

I won't even go into hard disk usage, because that's a complete non-issue with the drives available, and no significant changes to win7, anyway.

What is this "extreme control over system resources" of which you speak?

I was under the impression that Win8 was a mega hog of resources with all the useless features that are tablet/phone friendly but not PC friendly...

Educate me.

if you take the time to educate yourself, you will learn that alot of the negative rumors about win 8 and gaming were started by the guy who owns steam and by people at blizzard. there are many articles debunking all their "win 8 is bad for gaming" garbage. what steam and blizzard are really upset about is the microsoft store and MS getting into digital distribution of PC games. so they spread lies about the win OS. win 8 is great for gaming and overall performs better than all other versions of windows. has been tested side by side vs win 7 and vista for how they perform with many of the most popular games out by a number of sites.

Edited by MiaRB

if you take the time to educate yourself, you will learn that alot of the negative rumors about win 8 and gaming were started by the guy who owns steam and by people at blizzard. there are many articles debunking all their "win 8 is bad for gaming" garbage. what steam and blizzard are really upset about is the microsoft store and MS getting into digital distribution of PC games. so they spread lies about the win OS. win 8 is great for gaming and overall performs better than all other versions of windows. has been tested side by side vs win 7 and vista for how they perform with many of the most popular games out by a number of sites.

So.. Much.... FUD

Please, before telling someone to educate themselves, *please* educate your self.

Gabe Newell certainly did not start a "rumor*. He publicly stated what developers and publishers had been saying for two years up to that point.

You know, I had a whole book wrote here explaining what actually happened with Microsoft, Nvidia, ATI, Id software, and 3d Labs in the last two decades. I was going to explain how video hard ware works, and how the migration from super expensive working hardware became the cheap gaming cards of today.

But i have resigned myself to being a bitter old man griping on his porch about the twitter generation that has no idea what came before to enable their 160 character self absorb-ness

I've had a chance to play a bit more, and get some more data points.

Conclusion: Yes, it is better. But, yes, I still CTD.

I can swap toons as much as I want, and travel to multiple planets, and still expect to play for about 2 to 2.5 hours just fine. This is a big improvement, as prior to the patch, I could only expect about 30-45 minutes under the same conditions.

Nevertheless, I still CTD after that 2 to 2.5 hour mark. So, it's *better*, but definitely not *fixed* yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I can confirm as a long time sufferer of the latency drops that this issue has vastly improved for my gameplay.

My thanks to the techs who rolled up their sleeves and tackled this issue.

Well it would seem that in fixing it for some they have increased latency issues for others. O used to run in the low 50's with little to no spikes. Now I am often around 80+ with large spikes being common now.

• 10 months later...
Actually, for me, running Windows 8.1 64-bit, I've started getting routine crashes to desktop when switching characters or switching between worlds -- and that never happened prior to a week or 2 ago.

THREADSSSS....

so you think your crash to desktop is ONLY attributed to SWTOR, not say the windows updates that have occurred since then, or other updated software.

Enough so that you choose to necro a thread almost 9 months old for an ancient patch?

Hey, I've got a dog I lost 20 years ago, think you can bring him back too?

THREADSSSS....

so you think your crash to desktop is ONLY attributed to SWTOR, not say the windows updates that have occurred since then, or other updated software.

Enough so that you choose to necro a thread almost 9 months old for an ancient patch?

Hey, I've got a dog I lost 20 years ago, think you can bring him back too?

So why the overly rude reply? He necro'd a thread. Point it out and move on.

So why the overly rude reply? He necro'd a thread. Point it out and move on.

I was pointing out that a patch from March 2013 probably has nothing to do with his current PC problems. Additionally Saying the game is the cause of such crashes is also often times incorrect.

The power of necro was strong with this one and was curious is could expand that outside of the game since obviously zombie puppies are always a wanted thing...

I still get the CTD whenever I click "print screen" or "preferences" - each and EVERY time. I've tried all "fixes." Fortunately this happens on one of the laptops I use (a Win 8 RBP). On a much older windows 7 AW laptop or on my desktop, I never get this issue.

Anyone else have this problem?