Stop the AIM hate! (Aim based companion? Read this.)

Phydra

If you have an AIM based MELEE** companion, then you've probably noticed they don't get moddable weapons like the rest of our companions.

As a Sage, initially, I thought it was "just Qyzen"... then I found that it applies to ALL the aim-based MELEE** companions:

• Akaavi Spar
  • Tanno Vik
  • Torian Cadara
  • Scorpio
  • Skadge
  • Qyzen Fess
  • Yuun

Even at level 50, poor Qyzen is stuck with a blue techblade while the rest of my companions luxuriate in the option of a level 50 moddable weapon for use.

In reading across the forums, I see a number of reasons and speculations on "why this is" and it seems the upshot is that no one really KNOWS why... but, to me, it seems a serious oversight and frankly, an unfair one.

If you agree and would like to see this fixed (and the sooner, the better), please join me in using the signature you see on this post. Maybe if BioWare starts seeing this show up everywhere, they'll give it some attention.

One can hope.

edit to add: In the interim, I've begun compiling a list of crafters for techblades by server here - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=175852 - these are folk who have either (a) volunteered to make them for consulars or (b) have been recommended by consulars for their helpfulness. As ArmorTechs, I'm sure they would be equally happy to help out other folk with Aim-Based companions in need of upgrades.

** -- clarification

Edited by Phydra
adding Skadge (BH aim-based melee companion)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the aim for? I thought it was a ranged attribute.

if you or your companion uses aim as the main stat, then aim will make you/your companion do more damage. . .even with regular melee attacks. at least this is what I've learned with willpower being the main stat of shadows, even though their main attacks are melee based.

While we are making aim-based tech weapons, I could really use a good +AIM techstaff for Akaavi Spar....(I'm only 45, so if there is an endgame one coming from a quest, I haven't gotten it yet)

See the forum thread linked in my post; hopefully, there is a crafter listed there for your server.

As a Sage, initially, I thought it was "just Qyzen"... then I found that it applies to ALL the aim-based companions:

Does not.

Trooper has 5 Aim based companions, and only 2 of them have moddable weapon problems.

The other 3 are fine, Elara use Aim pistols, Aric uses AIM cannons and M1-4X uses an AIM Rifle (plus he comes with a moddable weapon default).

Also to be honest who cares about the other 2 anyway?

Aric is the best DPS.

M1-4X is the better Tank (and massively amusing).

Elara is the Healer.

So Troopers are fine companions wise.

Edited by AngelousWang

What's the aim for? I thought it was a ranged attribute.

It is the primary stat of the companions listed in the OP. The issue here is that (so far as I have heard, read, or researched) every one of them lacks a moddable/orange option.

Forum lore says that these companions were initially range-based and were switched to melee. This seems to be correct (judging from folk talking about the beta). Additionally, there seems to have been iterations of change (particularly in relation to Qyzen Fess; whose codex entry states he uses a Vibrosword... which he does not and cannot equip).

In all other areas of the game, AIM based characters are ranged. From best guess, the thoroughness of the change to AIM based companions was less than it should have been and (apparently) it just hasn't ranked high enough on BioWare's list to warrant fixing yet.

I'm hopeful this will change. For Consular Seers in particular, Qyzen is a very good companion and it just seems he should have the same options as any other companion (the same goes for the rest of the AIM based companions who are currently bereft of this as an option).

Does not.

Trooper has 5 Aim based companions, and only 2 of them have moddable weapon problems.

The other 3 are fine, Elara use Aim pistols, Aric uses AIM cannons and M1-4X uses an AIM Rifle (plus he comes with a moddable weapon default).

Also to be honest who cares about the other 2 anyway?

Aric is the best DPS.

M1-4X is the better Tank (and massively amusing).

Elara is the Healer.

So Troopers are fine companions wise.

Clarification -- AIM based melee companions. Sorry, I guess that nit should be picked by me every time. ;)

While we are making aim-based tech weapons, I could really use a good +AIM techstaff for Akaavi Spar....(I'm only 45, so if there is an endgame one coming from a quest, I haven't gotten it yet)

One of the Heroic 4s for the Belsavis Dailies gives you a choice of Weapons for all your companions.

If you have an AIM based companion, then you've probably noticed they don't get moddable weapons like the rest of our companions.

As a Sage, initially, I thought it was "just Qyzen"... then I found that it applies to ALL the aim-based companions:

• Tanno Vik
  • Torian Cadara
  • Scorpio
  • Qyzen Fess
  • Yuun

Even at level 50, poor Qyzen is stuck with a blue techblade while the rest of my companions luxuriate in the option of a level 50 moddable weapon for use.

In reading across the forums, I see a number of reasons and speculations on "why this is" and it seems the upshot is that no one really KNOWS why... but, to me, it seems a serious oversight and frankly, an unfair one.

If you agree and would like to see this fixed (and the sooner, the better), please join me in using the signature you see on this post. Maybe if BioWare starts seeing this show up everywhere, they'll give it some attention.

One can hope.

edit to add: In the interim, I've begun compiling a list of crafters for techblades by server here - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=175852 - these are folk who have either (a) volunteered to make them for consulars or (b) have been recommended by consulars for their helpfulness. As ArmorTechs, I'm sure they would be equally happy to help out other folk with Aim-Based companions in need of upgrades.

Kaliyo uses Aim too.

One of the Heroic 4s for the Belsavis Dailies gives you a choice of Weapons for all your companions.

And the ones for AIM based melee are not moddable. The issue is access to items that can be upgraded through the same methods as are available to the other companions; specifically, the ability to get "better than" outcomes by use of the player-crafted market, commendation system, etc.

You know, the way we were told it would work being the way it works... consistently... for all of them.

And the ones for AIM based melee are not moddable. The issue is access to items that can be upgraded through the same methods as are available to the other companions; specifically, the ability to get "better than" outcomes by use of the player-crafted market, commendation system, etc.

You know, the way we were told it would work being the way it works... consistently... for all of them.

I never said they were moddable, he was asking where was a good place to get a wep for Akaavi... I answered. But while we're on the subject, the blue non-moddable version, is just one par with the other weapons.... And considering you won't use companions for more than daily quests in endgame, modding them with epics is moot.

I never said they were moddable, he was asking where was a good place to get a wep for Akaavi... I answered. But while we're on the subject, the blue non-moddable version, is just one par with the other weapons.... And considering you won't use companions for more than daily quests in endgame, modding them with epics is moot.

Why in the world would anyone argue with the OP? He/she are making a good point. Just because *YOU don't find this to be an issue does not mean other people dont.

Why in the world would anyone argue with the OP? He/she are making a good point. Just because *YOU don't find this to be an issue does not mean other people dont.

Because he dragged me into an argument, and in my rebuttal I gave the very good point that "There's not a lot you'll be doing with Companions in endgame", just because you people find it to be an issue, doesn't mean everyone does. :rolleyes:

if you or your companion uses aim as the main stat, then aim will make you/your companion do more damage. . .even with regular melee attacks. at least this is what I've learned with willpower being the main stat of shadows, even though their main attacks are melee based.

Weird.

Because he dragged me into an argument, and in my rebuttal I gave the very good point that "There's not a lot you'll be doing with Companions in endgame", just because you people find it to be an issue, doesn't mean everyone does. :rolleyes:

it IS an issue if every companion can get a modded weapon except a select few.

I don't care if you never use your companions. In the future we will be using our companions for new content.

I still use my companions and I am Level 50.

Who says no one will use them for more than daily quests in endgame? Can you see into the future and know all the expansions and their content?

The point is, until/unless there is a direct statement by BioWare otherwise, this is a glaring inconsistency in the companions and, as such, it should be fixed. It really is as simple as that.

Frankly, had I know this was the case not only would I not have rolled a consular, I would have waited on buying the game until I knew it was fixed. You see, I play healers exclusively, I rely on Qyzen, and no, actually, the level 50 techblade I got from an ArmorTech is NOT as good as some of the things I would see in the "end game content", NOR is it better than what I would quickly mod into being were I actually able to GET a moddable weapon for Qyzen.

Not to mention there is damn little change of convincing anyone to hand an upgrade to my COMPANION should one drop in a FP or OP.

Finally, I didn't say that you did say they were moddable; but you certainly imply they were "as good as a moddable" and, to be accurate, they're not.... again, that's the point.

Edited by Phydra

I don't care if you never use your companions. In the future we will be using our companions for new content.

Aaaaaand what exactly makes you think BW will keep handing out non-orange aim gear in the future?

So, your argument is based entirely around a hypothetical future.... Right. And I never said people don't use companions at 50, I said they're used mostly for dailies. And for those you don't need a companion with epic mods.