Interview with Charles Boyd.

Mihlus

I just read this hilarious interview with Charles Boyd, lead designer for TOR, about the state of the game, KotFE, and what most surprises me: fan-reaction.

I'll just be quoting some of his reactions first, which really caught my eye:

GamesBeat: How is the MMO space different today than when TOR launched?

Charles Boyd: Great question! We are seeing a couple of interesting trends in the industry. Players want to do more in less time, advance at their own pace, and plan ahead — players today are leading busy lives, and they want to maximize the opportunity to have fun and get rewarded every time they play.

This was a big factor in our move to an episodic storyline as it allows players to experience the story the way they want to and with maximum flexibility. Players are even more savvy now, and they want to know that there is a next chapter coming and appointment set for when — so we actually started announcing our “next” chapter the week after the current chapter releases to meet that goal.

Hardly anything wrong with that, in my opinion, but it is kinda ironic how the main title of the interview was this:

Players want to do more in less time ...which is a great complaint of many; too less to do except old content being rehashed.. but that's fine, I guess.

Then this is the funniest, most cringe worthy part:

GamesBeat: How have fans reacted to this kind of episodic approach to an MMO?

Boyd: Fans have embraced the story wholeheartedly and look forward to the chapter releases. The primary way we have seen this excitement manifest is through the online discussions that are happening in our forums, fansites, and other community channels like Reddit.

Players are often debating the impact of their decisions on alliance members, the unique personalities of the alliance companions that they have recruited from desperados to thieves to legendary manipulators — and of course there is the love/hate relationship with [sith Emperor] Valkiorion. I feel that the story’s themes and conflicts are resonating with players as the story continues to unfold which is very humbling for us to see.

This is just amazing. He basically says that the same people on the forums are accepting the story completely and like it - whilst either there's very little people saying they love the story; the rest all complain it's just bad, or at best, mediocre.

THEN, he even continues and says people are often debating the impact of their choices?! What the flying f...!? I think by now I've not seen ANYONE praise the 1903901 unimportant alliance companions but rather complain about them, not to mention how people are making fun of BioWare for hyping their ''Choices Matter''-mantra to be untrue.

I mean, I can understand there's a need to make your game look good - but by now they're just crapping all over their fans, saying things people do not. Either they truly have their heads up their asses and think of themselves as great, or they just are straight-out lying and don't give a single crap about the people they supposedly make it for.

Anyway, I am sure there's people who disagree with me -or my negative view- but even they should have to admit: the fan-reaction to KotFE isn't good at all. And then to see this, it makes me worry how TOR will continue to go, if they do not listen to their players anyway.

Here's the full article:

Interview with Charles Boyd

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying "no one" enjoys them, but from what I read on the forums, its not normally positive about the alliance choices because the forums is were people often congregate to complain and discuss negative topics if anything. He can say people enjoy are enjoying KOTFE according to their skewed metrics and such, but saying that the forums praise KOTFE??? They must read a select few posts, or as you stated, are lying.

EDIT- INB4 lock for exposing Bioware!!!!

Or worse....

Sent to off topic.

Edited by peter_plankskull

I'm not saying "no one" enjoys them, but from what I read on the forums, its not normally positive about the alliance choices because the forums is were people often congregate to complain and discuss negative topics if anything. He can say people enjoy are enjoying KOTFE according to their skewed metrics and such, but saying that the forums praise KOTFE??? They must read a select few posts, or as you stated, are lying.

EDIT- INB4 lock for exposing Bioware!!!!

Or worse....

Sent to off topic.

Haha to your edit. :D Let's hope not. ;)

But, yeah, this is precisely what I mean, the point I tried to make. KotFE isn't all bad and doom & gloom either, it has good points to it too, but as said, at best many call the story mediocre. So where they get those reactions from is really a wonder to me - or they just select the very few posts with only positive feedback and hang those up their walls and quote those. :p

Charles Boyd needs a reality check if he thinks that's what's going on in the forum.

CHUCK -- KotFE is terrible. Please take a note. No one is debating the choices, because between the writing and the bugs, the choices never matter.

Please tell me there's a way to contact the interviewer and set this nonsense straight...

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Charles Boyd needs a reality check if he thinks that's what's going on in the forum.

CHUCK -- KotFE is terrible. Please take a note. No one is debating the choices, because between the writing and the bugs, the choices never matter.

They are, it's just that it's no where near as much as Boyd thinks.

CHUCK -- KotFE is terrible. Please take a note.

I wouldn't say KOTFE is flat out terrible, as im sure the people enjoying it are playing it, but on the forums people naturally come to voice their thoughts, which at times normally negative. Almost all the forums like this, and this is no exception for KOTFE and its fine, but he shouldn't flat out lie and say its welcomed here with praise.

EDIT- Read the article completely now and found dem skewed metrics.

Boyd: I think it is clear that players enjoy the story, and therefore we are motivated to continue it

Of course when you only give players a single option its going to seem like they enjoy it. It's like I only let people play the trooper class and then state "Well... everyone plays the trooper class... so everyone must enjoy it." Theirs no other choice to see if people like operations, GSF, or more strongholds because they haven't provided any!

#Stoppedtheskewedmetrics!

Edited by peter_plankskull

LOL i bet this thread will go wild in a few hours :D

yeah, terrible facts about the game. However, as people mentioned if there is like 100k players in the game, maybe really 90k likes KOtfe, but they are quiet about it. The rest, 10k, go on forums and complain they dont like it.

So really, where did he get this idea from??

LOL i bet this thread will go wild in a few hours :D

yeah, terrible facts about the game. However, as people mentioned if there is like 100k players in the game, maybe really 90k likes KOtfe, but they are quiet about it. The rest, 10k, go on forums and complain they dont like it.

So really, where did he get this idea from??

It won't be around that long, for cooperate EA is about to lock it and ban us all.

GamesBeat: How is the MMO space different today than when TOR launched?

Charles Boyd: Great question! We are seeing a couple of interesting trends in the industry. Players want to do more in less time, advance at their own pace, and plan ahead — players today are leading busy lives, and they want to maximize the opportunity to have fun and get rewarded every time they play.

This was a big factor in our move to an episodic storyline as it allows players to experience the story the way they want to and with maximum flexibility. Players are even more savvy now, and they want to know that there is a next chapter coming and appointment set for when — so we actually started announcing our “next” chapter the week after the current chapter releases to meet that goal.

where..the...bloody...hell...are...they...getting....this...infos?

correct me if I'm wrong , but aren't MMO usually descriped as LONG , LARGE...Tons of exploring...must have Time and such ? or did the trend change since my time ?

and they don't mention how short it is...apparently.....being on time is more important...:rolleyes:

Boyd: Fans have embraced the story wholeheartedly and look forward to the chapter releases. The primary way we have seen this excitement manifest is through the online discussions that are happening in our forums, fansites, and other community channels like Reddit.

Reddit is the EMpire now ? :D

Well, I guess we know where OP stands on KOTFE.

But, plenty of people really DO enjoy this style of content and release schedule. Count me among them.

And there HAS been plenty of discussion about our choices and when we'll really start to see the differences they make.

And, yes, people DO complain about Alliance companions, but I think he was referring more to the original companions from the main story. Not the fluff companions that are pointless to recruit (or are they?).

So... thanks OP. We get it. You don't like the game. Not sure why you play a game you don't like, but that's not really any of my business. I am, however, disappointed that you would come on here and just make stuff up and over-generalize about what your fellow players do and don't like.

:rolleyes:

But, plenty of people really DO enjoy this style of content and release schedule. Count me among them.

And there HAS been plenty of discussion about our choices and when we'll really start to see the differences they make.

And, yes, people DO complain about Alliance companions, but I think he was referring more to the original companions from the main story. Not the fluff companions that are pointless to recruit (or are they?).

So... thanks OP. We get it. You don't like the game. Not sure why you play a game you don't like, but that's not really any of my business. I am, however, disappointed that you would come on here and just make stuff up and over-generalize about what your fellow players do and don't like.

I agree, the only problem I have with it is the scale in which Charles seems to think of it. I know it's probably just all marketing talk, but he talks like there are no negative posts on the fourms.

He states in his second post KOTFE isn't all that bad... and he's focusing more on How Charles is phrasing it like KOTFE is the godsend we all been waiting for, not however if KOTFE is good or bad despite my derailing.

I agree, the only problem I have with it is the scale in which Charles seems to think of it. I know it's probably just all marketing talk, but he talks like there are no negative posts on the fourms.

Well, yeah... when you talk about your product, you generally don't want to paint it in a negative light. The only time you'd bring that up is if the product were a complete disaster and you were explaining what you have done/are doing to fix it.

That's not just marketing, that's common business sense.

I'm pretty sure that if I gave an interview and I brought up the complaints about my company's product, I'd be fired. Good business people know how to talk around those things. And always keep the focus on the positive.

Actually i just read another one where he directly states that EC was supposed to prepare players for ops:

MMORPG: What can you share about your plans for future non-story content? Many players in the game have been looking forward to new Operations for some time now.

CB: We’re constantly exploring different types of experiences to include in our updates – the Eternal Championship is one great example that’s going live alongside Chapter 13 this month. There’s definitely a story around it, but the real goal of that area it is to introduce players to some of the game’s more challenging gameplay mechanics and encounters to ease them into more high-level encounters like you mentioned. We’ve definitely heard our players’ requests for more of this type of gameplay and while we don’t have anything specific to announce right now, we’re taking those requests to heart as we develop for the future!

Actually i just read another one where he directly states that EC was supposed to prepare players for ops:

Boyd is the guy that used to join Musco on the now-defunct story-streams? I guess it makes sense. He struck me as someone who seemed very personally invested into KotFE so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he truly believes all that.

But yeah, I would say that it is not a very objective interview.

I found the second quote (above) to be cause for guarded optimism. I simply wish there was a more direct acknowledgement vs. us having to interpret an offhand line from an interview.

I wouldn't say KOTFE is flat out terrible, as im sure the people enjoying it are playing it, but on the forums people naturally come to voice their thoughts, which at times normally negative. Almost all the forums like this, and this is no exception for KOTFE and its fine, but he shouldn't flat out lie and say its welcomed here with praise.

EDIT- Read the article completely now and found dem skewed metrics.

Of course when you only give players a single option its going to seem like they enjoy it. It's like I only let people play the trooper class and then state "Well... everyone plays the trooper class... so everyone must enjoy it." Theirs no other choice to see if people like operations, GSF, or more strongholds because they haven't provided any!

#Stoppedtheskewedmetrics!

I'm not saying that no one can like KotFE, just reacting in total surprise.

I'm just completely flabbergasted that someone could read these forums and think that it's been broadly loved and widely well-received.

Well, yeah... when you talk about your product, you generally don't want to paint it in a negative light. The only time you'd bring that up is if the product were a complete disaster and you were explaining what you have done/are doing to fix it.

That's not just marketing, that's common business sense.

I'm pretty sure that if I gave an interview and I brought up the complaints about my company's product, I'd be fired. Good business people know how to talk around those things. And always keep the focus on the positive.

When talking about your product it its even more authentic when you actually admit some difficulties, they the audience can see that you are being honest. Talking only good makes it look like typical American non-sense.

It would look better if he would say that there are up and downs, or that the community is devided etc. Something that would indicate that this isnt just pure promotion, but serious analysis of data they have.

I found the second quote (above) to be cause for guarded optimism. I simply wish there was a more direct acknowledgement vs. us having to interpret an offhand line from an interview.

I feel the same but that's the closest to "yes, we're doing operations in the future" official statement from BW dev I've seen after kotfe.

When talking about your product it its even more authentic when you actually admit some difficulties, they the audience can see that you are being honest. Talking only good makes it look like typical American non-sense.

It would look better if he would say that there are up and downs, or that the community is devided etc. Something that would indicate that this isnt just pure promotion, but serious analysis of data they have.

What exactly is "typical American non-sense?" :rak_02:

Regarding the forums speaking on KotFE (and the game in general) in a positive light, some of you don't seem to realise that there are boards that aren't General Discussion. A lot of Story and Lore threads are more curious about aspects of the game in general than spiteful crap you generally see here (for example, speculation on the future content of KotFE, possible fruit of Malgus's loins, or a desire to romance the GSI Combat Support Droid). The Spoilers subforum there actually leans positive, with thanks for the fun in Chapter XIII and excitement for the upcoming Mandalorian chapter. The PvE board has loads of posts, positive and negative, about all aspects of that part of the game - including TEC - and clearly demonstrate a willingness to partake in such content going forward (many requests for help with TEC ; ).

General Discussion is a wretched hive of scum and villiany. There is positive chatter on the forums - you just have to know where to look.

Thing is even based on your analogy I don't think all 10k forum goers actually complain its probably more likely about a 60/40 split but I don't have any true figures to confirm that.