Launcher trying to run multiple instances

This happened to me, last year, and i never did figure out what was the cause.

*** is it trying to launch multiple instances?

I can't get in long enough to see what the error is, or to even get on the game.

The FAQ's are useless, as its the launcher, that does it.

I have tried the diagnostic, and repair, and nothing fixes it.

I have tried everything, except, uninstalling. I tried that last

year, and it didn't help. i tried to log on the next day, and it

let me login as if nothing was wrong, so, ***, is this? Will

i log in tomorrow just fine, and why is this doing it.

I've had just about enough, of these little bugs.

I have made no changes, since yesterday, so why

is this happening?

Still on the phone waiting for service

I'm suddenly getting 'only one instance of this application.......'thing again.I had it months ago but has been fine since.I logged off last night,game was working ok,then i try to log in this morning and i get this crap again.Since my pc was off during the night it must be something on BW,s end that screwed up.FIX THE LAUNCHER PROPERLY.

Here is a fix that always seems to work for me.

When you launch SWTOR extact when the red banner pops up to say updating launcher, kill your internet connection as soon as the banner pops up. This stops the cycle starting and if timed correctly the red banner will disappear allowing you to reconnect your internet and input your user and pass to play!

Works for me anyways =/

I. Launcher Cannot Patch Itself

In order to resolve this issue, we ask that you follow the below steps exactly. If they are not followed in this order, the file may not execute correctly

Open your task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and ensure all SWTOR and Launcher processes have been shut down.

Go to http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/Lau...lity1_74_7.exe. A window will open asking if you would like to save or run the file. Please select save.

When the file has been downloaded, please copy the file to your install directory, the file is located by default in:

For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

When the file is in your install directory, double-click on it, and select “Run” and then “Extract” when prompted.

When asked if you want to “replace” files, say “yes too all.”

Once the installation is complete, please try launching the game again.

Note: This is simply a self-extracting archive that installs the latest versions of all the Launcher components to eliminate the need for the Launcher to patch itself. We’ve seen a number of users who consistently are unable to patch the Launcher successfully and this is a workaround for that issue specifically.

REALLY???!!!!!!!!! (yes, sarcasm)

When you create a update, your customers, shouldn't have to do this

tried the following:

launching effect was cannot run multiple instances

deleted files in tor, that refered to 7-30-13 changes to force reinstall, no change.

did system restore to 7-20-13, no change, still got multiple instances error.

unistalled tor,reinstalled, no effect

put file, suggested by tor, into file, no multiple instances error, but game doesn't launch at all.

unistalled, reinstalled, ran in compatibilty mode for every version of windows. no launch.

tested other games, and one did do running multiple instance error, system restored again, to 7-20-13

that game started normal,borderlands 2, then tried tor, no launch. unistalled again, currently reinstalling

total time wasted on this: 10 hours

end result is still no launch at all

Edited by -Slaughterhouse-
edit

Here is a fix that always seems to work for me.

When you launch SWTOR extact when the red banner pops up to say updating launcher, kill your internet connection as soon as the banner pops up. This stops the cycle starting and if timed correctly the red banner will disappear allowing you to reconnect your internet and input your user and pass to play!

Works for me anyways =/

this worked thanks

• 5 years later...
Here in 2019, wow. I'm still getting this problem, and haven't been able to get on in 5 days. None of the links in the replies work for me. The one you said works gives me 404 - Not Found, and the other one leads me to a page where I need to get "subbed" even though I'm on the every 6 months pay subscription. Is there any other way I can fix this problem, I really want to finish Dantooine.

Here in 2019, wow. I'm still getting this problem, and haven't been able to get on in 5 days. None of the links in the replies work for me. The one you said works gives me 404 - Not Found, and the other one leads me to a page where I need to get "subbed" even though I'm on the every 6 months pay subscription. Is there any other way I can fix this problem, I really want to finish Dantooine.

Try http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityD2.0.10.exe

(link from here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/td-p/4805820#2)

Edited by Mubrak

This didn't work for me somehow. I am able to install the file and run it, but when I try to reopen SWTOR, the error still occurs. I also went to the EA page and followed step-by-step, and it still didn't work.