Blaster Rifles/Pistols for all blaster classes

Yrithikan

So, I've been thinking. I really want the ability to use blaster pistols as well as rifles for all blaster based classes. Maybe not snipers or Assault cannons for all classes but at least basic Rifles and Pistols. You'd think a Bounty hunter would know how to use a rifle but here we are. Please Bioware! Make this a thing eventually!

I can see both sides;

The classes are made for certain weapons - example, even though Commandos and Snipers can use rifles, they lose access to their Sniper Rifle/Assault Cannon-based abilities - and it would be a mess to try and change that, probably more trouble than it would be worth...

But at the same time, a Bounty Hunter with a rifle is an almost iconic image - from Boba Fett swinging his up when disguised-Leia pulls out the thermal detonator in Jabba's Palace to The Mandalorian's disintegrator rifle picking off Jawas, it's a part of Star Wars lore that shouldn't be overlooked.

And, for that matter, it's weird as all-get-out to see Agents and Troopers, who don't carry blaster pistols, suddenly grow them on their hips for cutscenes when they want to hold someone at gunpoint, when you think about it... Giving them the ability to just use a pistol would be interesting, too. (I'll avoid any Agent/James Bond jokes that are coming to mind...)

Edited by turbomagnus

And, for that matter, it's weird as all-get-out to see Agents and Troopers, who don't carry blaster pistols, suddenly grow them on their hips for cutscenes when they want to hold someone at gunpoint, when you think about it... Giving them the ability to just use a pistol would be interesting, too. (I'll avoid any Agent/James Bond jokes that are coming to mind...)

Way back when(1), they had one set of scripted movements per cut-scene / (base) class combination, which meant that all Troopers used the same scripted movement sequence, including the movement made for taking out a weapon. Since there wasn't(2) just one type of weapon, they cheesed it to use the Magic Invisible Service Pistol.

(1) More recent content has tried to diminish this - Assassins and Shadows now often use a drawn-weapon stance that is appropriate to having a dualsabre / electrostaff rather than one adapted to a singlesabre.

(2) Well, I say that, but there was one sequence that had a single weapon type. In the final class mission before leaving Ord Mantell, the Trooper (at the time, it was a segment for plain Troopers, not Commandos/Vanguards) goes into a place and sees some people who then do something and go away. Some other people then come to do something else, and the Trooper pulls out a rifle and gets ready to fight them.

That scene looks really strange on a Commando.

So, basically it's an artifact caused by Advanced Classes being available from the start instead of chosen later on? Interesting.

Not exactly. It's an artifact caused by the two Advanced Classes of a single base class having different mainhand weapons, which was true even when the game launched.

The Ord Mantell thing is weird because normally (before 4.0 and *especially* before 5.0) at that point, all Troopers were just base-class Troopers, and they all used Blaster Rifles. When 4.0 dropped, you became able to switch to your Advanced Class at level 10, and it was trivially easy to reach that point in the story at level 12+, and therefore to have your AC already. 5.0 guarantees that you'll have your AC at that point.

Curiously, that's the only scene on Ord Mantell where you get out a rifle. Everywhere else (ordering sep after sep to surrender, that kind of stuff) you use the MISP.

Hmm. Wild thought time. <MISPs United> as a guild name?