Sith Sorcerer Damage Calculator and Practical Example

Darth_Xavi

Hello all!

After calculating all of this, I found the previous stickied thread about Sorc Stats. However, I believe I present some new material as well as a more relevant calculation for average damage. Here we go. I am going to post the diminishing returns on the the Sith Sorcerer DPS stats. The equations are the whitish gray lines and the data points I collected using Xavi are in red.

Here are the non-diminishing stats, confirmed with roughly 15 data points.

Non-Diminishing Stats

1 Willpower = 0.2 Bonus Damage + scaling critical value

1 Power = 0.23 Bonus Damage

1 Force Power = 0.23 Bonus Damage

1 Willpower = 0.14 Bonus Healing

1 Power = 0.17 Bonus Healing

1 Force Power = 0.17 Bonus Healing

Diminishing Stats

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg40/scaled.php?server=40&filename=surgeratingdiminishingr.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg208/scaled.php?server=208&filename=willpowerdiminishingret.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg80/scaled.php?server=80&filename=criticalratingdiminishi.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg26/scaled.php?server=26&filename=alacrityratingdiminishi.jpg&res=medium

You can calculate your damage based on the following equation (where F(CR) = the equation shown in the crit rating graph, F(Su) = Surge Equation, etc...). Additionally, Su = your actual Surge rating and so on for WP, CR and AR.

Critical Chance Percent = CCP = Base + Buff Bonuses + CR / F(CR) + WP / F(WP)

Base = 5%

Surge Bonus Percent = SBP = Su / F(Su) + Base

Base = 50%

Average Damage = ( Base Damage from Spell + Bonus Damage*Spell Damage Coefficient ) * ( CCP* ( 1 + SBP) + ( 1 - CCP ) )

Please note that I am not fully confident in the Base Damage and Spell Damage Coefficent values, but I'm fairly certain they are close. The base damage values are assuming a character with 0 Willpower (calculated by subtracting the damage added to the spells on a character with 57.2 bonus damage while naked). Basically my character has 57.2 bonus damage naked, and I extrapolated to calculate what I think the base damage is for the spells.

Affliction:

Base Damage = 300

Spell Damage Coefficient = 1.85

Force Lightning

Base Damage = 510

Spell Damage Coefficient = 3.15

Lightning Strike

Base Damage = 180 to 244

Spell Damage Coefficient = 1.32

So I just realized that I didn't really address the reason that this all started. In order to do that, I'm going to post my stats and show a little bit how the calculations work. I have all this in a spreadsheet, which is a lot easier than just doing it with pen and paper and calculator.

That said, here are the stats for Xavi, self buffed (Mark of Power + Rakata Resolve Stim)

Xavi

Willpower: 1818

Power: 272

Force Power: 1210

Crit Rating: 431

Surge Rating: 192

Crit Bonus Percent from Skills = 5%

So we can calculate my bonus damage fairly easily as:

WP*0.20 + Power * 0.23 + Force Power * 0.23 = 704.46 (This is very close to the amount on my character sheet, which is 704.5)

I choose, Force Lightning, with a base damage of 510 over the 3 seconds and a spell damage coefficient of 3.15.

Then I calculate my CCP and my SBP

Critical Chance Percent = CCP = Base + Buff Bonuses + CR / F(CR) + WP / F(WP)

CCP = 5.00 + 5.00 + 431 / (30.09) + 1818 / (155.7) = 36.00% (This is very close to the amount on my character sheet, which is 36.01%)

Surge Bonus Percent = SBP = Su / F(Su) + Base

SBP = 192 / 7.098 = 50.00 +27.04 = 77.04% Bonus Critical Damage(This is very close to the amount on my character sheet, which is 76.98%)

We now calculate the average damage from Force Lightning assuming no Alacrity:

(510 + 3.15*704.46) * (0.36 * 1.7704 + (1 - 0.36) = 3485.9 Damage

You can do this for other spells, etc... but you get the idea.

In order to calculate which stat is best at any given time, you essentially add 1 of the stat, check the new average damage, and repeat for each stat. Then the stat that provides the biggest overall damage bonus wins as "best stat for your current stats".

Affliction:

Base Damage = 300

Spell Damage Coefficient = 1.85

Force Lightning

Base Damage = 510

Spell Damage Coefficient = 3.15

Lightning Strike

Base Damage = 180 to 244

Spell Damage Coefficient = 1.32

Close! Straight from the game files:

Affliction = 49.91 + 31% Bonus per tick = 249.55 + 155% Bonus total baseline (349.37 + 217% Bonus w/ 2/2 Exsanguinate)

Force Lightning = 127.19 + 79% Bonus per tick = 508.76 + 316% Bonus total baseline

Lightning Strike = [180.32 to 244.72] + 132% Bonus total baseline

Also, for the record, you can calculate the benefit of crit and surge by simply multiplying the non-crit damage by (1 + Crit%*Surge%). You can actually demonstrate this with some relatively simple algebra from the more common (but more numerous step) version of noncrit * crit% * surge% + noncrit * (1-crit).

What about chain lightning and Shock? I mean those base values.

Chain Lightning = [293.02 to 357.42] + 202% Bonus (per target)

Shock = [218.96 to 283.36] + 156% Bonus

Shock (Assassin*) = [265.65 to 330.05] + 185% Bonus

*Note: Assassin Training, which supposedly increases Shock damage by 25%, doesn't. It has a separate entry in the game files with the above values. This represents a 18.59% increase in damage, rather than a 25%.

Chain Lightning = [293.02 to 357.42] + 202% Bonus (per target)

Shock = [218.96 to 283.36] + 156% Bonus

Shock (Assassin*) = [265.65 to 330.05] + 185% Bonus

*Note: Assassin Training, which supposedly increases Shock damage by 25%, doesn't. It has a separate entry in the game files with the above values. This represents a 18.59% increase in damage, rather than a 25%.

What about Crushing Darkness? Where exactly are you finding the values in the game files, I'd like to do some theory crafting of my own. Also on base damage with a range i.e.

Shock = 218.96 to 283.36, are all values there and inbetween equally probably or is this a weighted range (what single value might give the best average approximation, for CL, Shock, TB, LS, etc).

Thanks for your feedback! :D

Edited by DrZip

What about Crushing Darkness? Where exactly are you finding the values in the game files, I'd like to do some theory crafting of my own. Thanks!

Using our Nodeviewer application out on Sithwarrior.com. Second post:

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Ripping-client-data

It's a bit tough to read these days, unless you know what to look for. Bioware removed all of the cell labels in 1.1.1, but if you're used to reading the ability files, it's not hard to understand.

Crushing Darkness is a bit stickier, since it's a two part effect.

Initial damage = [165.83 to 230.23] + 123% Bonus

DoT = 47.495 + 29.5% Bonus (per tick, 6 ticks, 8 with Lingering Nightmares)

I'm also planning on putting together a compendium of all of the coefficients for SIs out here when I find a bit of time.

Edited by Daellia

Using our Nodeviewer application out on Sithwarrior.com. Second post:

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Ripping-client-data

It's a bit tough to read these days, unless you know what to look for. Bioware removed all of the cell labels in 1.1.1, but if you're used to reading the ability files, it's not hard to understand.

Crushing Darkness is a bit stickier, since it's a two part effect.

Initial damage = [165.83 to 230.23] + 123% Bonus

DoT = 47.495 + 29.5% Bonus (per tick, 6 ticks, 8 with Lingering Nightmares)

I'm also planning on putting together a compendium of all of the coefficients for SIs out here when I find a bit of time.

Just to be clear, do you mean that Crushing Darkness hits for an initial amount, and then ticks six times at 1,2, ..., 5, and 6 seconds (but not at 0, like other ticking DoT's / channels); does that initial amount just mask the value for a "7th" tick?

I've been compiling your posts and clarifications across this thread and a few others, and to sumize the information that I've found:

Assuming only using CL and FL when procced, does this look correct to you? (Pardon the lack of tables) :X

SpellName BaseDamage BonusCoefficient TickDamage TickBonus CastTime Ticks

Instants:

Affliction 0 0 49.91 0.31 1.5 7

Chain Lightning 293.02 to 357.42 2.02 0 0 1.5 0

Shock 218.96 to 283.36 1.85 0 0 1.5 0

Cast/Channel:

Thundering Blast 219 to 287 1.58 0 0 2 0

Force Lightning 0 0 127.19 0.79 1.5 4

Lightning Strike 180.32 to 244.72 1.32 0 0 1.5 0

Crushing Darkness 165.83 to 230.23 1.23 47.495 0.295 2 6

Where: Affliction is 7 ticks, instead of 5 due to Exsanguinate, and Crushing darkness is 6 ticks instead of 8 due to lacking the Assassin skill. The Cast/Channeled cast times have yet to be affected by alacrity. Anything that ticks has it's first tick at its inception (but CD?).

Edited by DrZip

Just to be clear, do you mean that Crushing Darkness hits for an initial amount, and then ticks six times at 1,2, ..., 5, and 6 seconds (but not at 0, like other ticking DoT's / channels); does that initial amount just mask the value for a "7th" tick?

The initial value is an entirely separate entry, with different rules. For example, it has a damage range, while DoT ticks are static. Furthermore, it doesn't benefit from DoT-enhancing effects such as Deathmark and Creeping Death, but it does benefit from direct DD-enhancing effects such as the 20% boost from Wrath. Crushing Darkness ticks 6 times, once per second from intervals 1.0 to 6.0 since cast completion, inclusive.

On a side note, only some DoTs/Channels tick initially. For example, Force Lightning and Innervate tick initially, while Affliction, Creeping Terror, Crushing Darkness, and many other more "traditional" DoTs do not.

I've been compiling your posts and clarifications across this thread and a few others, and to sumize the information that I've found:

Assuming only using CL and FL when procced, does this look correct to you? (Pardon the lack of tables) :X

I've not the time to check all of the numbers at the moment. That said, I'm planning on posting a compendium, either here or out on the SI parent forums, with all coefficients for all spells and abilities we have. Should be tonight or tomorrow, depending on the time I have.

Edit: Shock is incorrect. You're using the base damage from the Sorc version, but the coefficient from the Assassin version. Sorc version has a coefficient of 1.56.

On a side note, you can verify the integrity of the numbers for most effects with the following equation (doesn't apply to all spells, just most. I believe it applies to all of ours)

Coeff = AverageBaseDamage / 161

Edited by Daellia