Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

Bolo_Yeung
04.11.2013 , 10:16 AM | #501
Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM
- Make 24G ramdisk
- Copy entire SWTOR onto the ramdisk.

Works like charm for me. Could be rendered useless if TOR increase its size too much, though (unfortunately can't increase RAM anymiore...).

funkiestj
04.11.2013 , 07:47 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM
- Make 24G ramdisk

Works like charm for me. Could be rendered useless if TOR increase its size too much, though (unfortunately can't increase RAM anymiore...).
What makes me really sad is I read the documentation and decided to only get an additional 8G of memory because why waste money on memory I'm not going to use?

Of course when I ran unleashed I saw that the maximum setting uses 19GB. I would have happily paid for 32GB if I thought I could use it. DOH!

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Coldin
04.11.2013 , 08:33 PM | #503
I gotta say. The first few incarnations of this weren't very much help. Took a bunch of time to set up, and even then I don't think it was working right.

I just tried the latest version, and it helps a lot. My framerate doesn't pick up so much, but it's a ton smoother. Without Unleashed, there would be stuttering on occasion, especially in warzones with lots of effects going on. Running Unleashed that stutter is gone, and while framerate stays mostly the same, there's no more big drops in performance.

Bugattiboy
04.11.2013 , 09:31 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
Most simple solution:

- Get 32GB RAM
- Make 24G ramdisk

RAMDisks are volatile because they are based on RAM. It's get's wiped every time your machine is powered off for any reason. Unless you leave your machine running 24/7/365 you'd waste a lot of time coping it to the RAMDisk time and time again.
I didn't think anything could top the stupidity of no new group content in Fallen Empire...

...then Level Sync happened.

Eyezee
04.12.2013 , 01:48 PM | #505
Hi Everyone,

I tried following all the steps shown (downloaded the prereq Microsoft .NET Framework 4+ and ImDisk) and selected my settings but I get the following error message:

Could not load file or assembly 'ImDiskNet, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture =neutral, PublicKeyToken=69215e034751fde4' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Can someone kindly tell me what I did wrong with ImDisk? I am by no means tech savvy; so please bear with me

Bolo_Yeung
04.12.2013 , 05:44 PM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
RAMDisks are volatile because they are based on RAM. It's get's wiped every time your machine is powered off for any reason. Unless you leave your machine running 24/7/365 you'd waste a lot of time coping it to the RAMDisk time and time again.
I don't have much games, so SWTOR resides on vertex3 SSD (not very reliable SSD ) - with SATA3 making a copy of TOR to ramdisk takes about 75 seconds.

Can't figure out how to remove the caching with IMDISK drive... (not that it matters much, but still kinda useless, caching RAM in RAM)

Of course I can copy the contents of SWTOR folder to "nul" device (and TOR will be cached in RAM then), but prefer simpler and more reliable solutions; with *** up using DiskCacheArea it should be in ramdisk, not limited write SSD anyway...).

Adolf_Hinkel
04.17.2013 , 05:32 AM | #507
Thanks for this BS! It ****ed up my game client, installation and made it actually run worse. Typical Bioware/EA to even permit this. Thanks again.

Amelyssan
04.17.2013 , 05:46 AM | #508
yep me too, I had to reinstall the entire game because there was an md5 inconsistency after the new patch and NOTHING worked. So play around this at your own risk.

To the creator of Unleashed: Why havent you beta tested this with other clients, setups, versions of windows?

Unleashed was way way to unstable for my liking, so I will pass for now untill its way more tested in a later build.

I cannot recommend SWTOR Unleashed.
Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever.

Cretinus
04.17.2013 , 06:06 AM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by Amelyssan View Post
To the creator of Unleashed: Why havent you beta tested this with other clients, setups, versions of windows?
Are u completely nuts?! Unleashed is a free software, what on planet earth makes you think that you're entitled to ask him for justifications?!

Kilora
04.17.2013 , 06:16 AM | #510
Honestly, every time I try using this I notice absolutely no difference in game performance.

Then again, I have an OCed i7-3770k running at 4.0ghz and 32gb of ram. Although -- no SSD, just a plain old HDD. But no change in performance.

Seems a tad strange, but oh well! Nice to hear that it works for some.