Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If Star Wars Galaxies Was Still Around I'd Be There; I Miss Crafting

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
If Star Wars Galaxies Was Still Around I'd Be There; I Miss Crafting

Hired-Assassin
01.04.2012 , 06:41 AM | #21
People just don't seem to realize just how big of a part crafting played in Pre-CU SWG. Ask 10 Weaponsmiths to make the same item(lets say a power hammer) and each of the created items will be different. Some will have more damage and others a better attack speed. The more time you put into crafting the better items you would make and the more money too. Crafters ran the economy because they were actually needed. PvPer were usually lower on the economic totem pole while the crafters would be the 1% of America. Now a days with games like WoW and TOR, 10 Armstech asked to make the same item will give you 10 identical items. It used to be a challenge to make better items. You actually had to go out and find the good resources. Now I just send my companions off when im in an instance. Absolutely not fun crafting now.

Ive played WoW for years and have mastered most crafting professions in that game. My experience from that is that gear from raids is better then what A crafter can make anyways, and its free too.

Trying to compare SWG to TOR is like trying to compare a car to a tree. They're just two completely different games.

Mallegant
01.04.2012 , 06:49 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hired-Assassin View Post
People just don't seem to realize just how big of a part crafting played in Pre-CU SWG. Ask 10 Weaponsmiths to make the same item(lets say a power hammer) and each of the created items will be different. Some will have more damage and others a better attack speed. The more time you put into crafting the better items you would make and the more money too. Crafters ran the economy because they were actually needed. PvPer were usually lower on the economic totem pole while the crafters would be the 1% of America. Now a days with games like WoW and TOR, 10 Armstech asked to make the same item will give you 10 identical items. It used to be a challenge to make better items. You actually had to go out and find the good resources. Now I just send my companions off when im in an instance. Absolutely not fun crafting now.

Ive played WoW for years and have mastered most crafting professions in that game. My experience from that is that gear from raids is better then what A crafter can make anyways, and its free too.

Trying to compare SWG to TOR is like trying to compare a car to a tree. They're just two completely different games.

Amen to that!!!! Just nowadays nobody wants to work hard at stuff anymore. They just want it handed to them. A good example of that would be when SWG did the CU/NGE upgrades and pretty much gave out Jedi profession from the start... Where as before you had to grind for many months to unlock it. Nobody has the persistence or patience anymore. We are raising a bunch of entitled little brats that want it all right now... Those that hated crafting in SWG didn't craft simple as that. But they knew where to go when they needed good stuff.. ---> ex Master Weaponsmith/Architech/Doctor/Ranger/TK/Rifleman/Merchant/Entertainer lol

This game would be alot better if they would just listen to the customer base that knows what and how a true MMO works. Sandbox is the way to go... Build your life from scratch not in just one week either.... lol

Klockradio
01.04.2012 , 07:03 AM | #23
Now Im sad. I want the old SWG back, it was such a great game. :-(

Iskareot
01.04.2012 , 09:13 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
In the beginning, yes. But in the last couple of years (i.e. when a new development team took over and they started listening to the players' wishes and suggestions), the game had become good again. Of course, many things never reached the greatness it once had. But there were a lot of new things that were great again.

I do miss SWG a lot and many of the features it had.

But the single feature I noticed that I miss the most in TOR are the chat bubbles, as it's pretty much impossible to socialize and roleplay on a larger scale without them. I do really hope they will add them in soon as promised. Without them, the game isn't worth playing in the long term for me, I'm afraid.
No wrong the NGE was bad... through and through.. from the attempt to make it a over the shoulder shooter... it was bad.

Listen, face the facts. IF THE NGE WAS A SUCCESS... it would still be going. Period. - no doubt, this is a fact not a opinion.

As a business if SWG had 1 million subs do YOU REALLY THINK it would be shut down?? I know you cannot be that silly.

No matter what, the attempt to change that game was a mistake, a failure and every MMO franchise knows it. Including John Smedley himself has stated constantly it was a mistake he wishes he never did.

So while you may even attempt to try to say it got better... SURE anything is better from the bottom of the bucket.

The NGE ruined a very good game that should have been fixed in the first place. There is NO GOOD that came from it other then SOE learned that anyone will pay for any crap code... and that they will NEVER ever do that again.

Nor would Raph, Nor would LA, Nor would any logical minded person.

I can post 20 links to why and how bad the NGE was from very wise game makers... to the producers themselves wishing they had not done it.

I am sorry but after seeing LUKES HEAD as a choice for a Char - I like many others... in fact my entire friends list left the game.

AS did the majority of the playerbase. Sorry.. I cannot feel bad for the NGE crowd at all. I just can't.
Iskareot Sith/Rokareot Jedi sqd "Iknowwhatpinkbootswere"...
Old Bria'n Jedi Knight gone Dark!
(13th) build! vet and counting down the days until live!
www.legionofthefallen.net

Heffernanx
01.04.2012 , 09:17 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Recnal View Post
So, Crafting in SWTOR is nowhere near as amazing as crafting in SWG -the one thing Sony did right. And now, Sony, in collusion with Lucas Arts, has murdered the one and only amazing crafting system of any MMO in the past, and, I fear, alas, never ever to be reproduced in the future as it doesn't fit 'modern game theory'. This makes me one sad panda that crafting here in SWTOR is so, uh, juvenile. Simple. Tediously boring and expensive to do to boot.

I'll probably still play SWTOR here and there; I love the story line, the artistic style. Besides, many of my friends play SWTOR, at least for now. I may despise the hideousness of the UI and inability to move windows, my target, the target of my target (haven't even found that yet), move the quick-slot bars, the pet bar, heck, everything HUD element-wise but I understand that SOME of those issues are a future patch, way in the future patch. (you know, actually, LotRO does their HUD/UI elements right and I wish Bioware had learned how from them).

But what really kills me is how poorly crafting was designed. You pay your companion to run missions instead of being able to gather on your own. Yes, I know, some gathering professions allow you to harvest. But Diplomacy? You pay. That's the one "Non-Gathering" gathering profession I/ve tried and do - you just can't pick it off the ground/corpse/drop. Maybe I'm just not high enough to see it happening, I am only CL19. Not that it matters, really. I can tell that crafting was 'added' as an after-thought, much like LotRO,, and pretty much every other new MMO. Same established pattern. SWG, and EVE as well, being two of the few exceptions to poorly-designed 'modern game theory' crafting - perhaps because SWG to a certain extent, and most certainly EVE, are 'sandbox' MMOs vice being a 'themepark' like SWTOR. I guess if I want to be a serious crafter, I'll have to reactivate my EVE account(s) that I closed in anticipation of SWTOR.

Rest in Peace, Star Wars Galaxies. I for one, will miss you, especially for the crafting.
SWG will Return once SWTOR goes down eg. probably next week.
ị‖◚◚◚◚◚‖ị۝ị[/LULZ I CAN HAS A LIGHTSABER TOO/]

Iskareot
01.04.2012 , 09:18 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallegant View Post
Amen to that!!!! Just nowadays nobody wants to work hard at stuff anymore. They just want it handed to them. A good example of that would be when SWG did the CU/NGE upgrades and pretty much gave out Jedi profession from the start... Where as before you had to grind for many months to unlock it. Nobody has the persistence or patience anymore. We are raising a bunch of entitled little brats that want it all right now... Those that hated crafting in SWG didn't craft simple as that. But they knew where to go when they needed good stuff.. ---> ex Master Weaponsmith/Architech/Doctor/Ranger/TK/Rifleman/Merchant/Entertainer lol

This game would be alot better if they would just listen to the customer base that knows what and how a true MMO works. Sandbox is the way to go... Build your life from scratch not in just one week either.... lol

Lol.. now see here is the funny part about this... and it's ironic. SOOO the NGE was made to make everything eaiser period.

But yes, the crafting pre-CU and even into the CU was great. I know I did all 32 profs... I unlocked at pub 7 -- I was lucky and loved it.

However... any mindset from the NGE on .. is not the same.

I TOO think people should make part of the game or a game take effort ... MUCH LIKE pre-9 Jedi was.

But it seemed that made people mad. Oddly people did not like that concept... hence the NGE. I do miss the EFFORT - REWARD concept but we wont see that in a game in the near future sadly.

People need that quick fix and high-speed everything. (Reason) - It's a game, -- always seems to be the excuse.

I do hope though, while the NGE and the goal of it was to cheapen the efforts needed that we never see that concept again, in crafting or gaming at all.

I too loved the crafting pre-NGE though - I loved Chef and Bio Engy.. good times.

Iskareot
01.04.2012 , 09:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Heffernanx View Post
SWG will Return once SWTOR goes down eg. probably next week.
I can only hope-wish, use karma -apply logic that SWG never comes back as the NGE.

Ever...

You can only win "Worst MMO of the year" so many times in a row.

And actually close so many servers, then close the game down so many times lol.

theadjectivenoun
01.04.2012 , 11:41 AM | #28
I see that crafting in here isn't really need only thing we really need is artifice for the crystals - maybe cybertech for the vehicles and biochem.

the rest are a waste and really not needed, once you get a orange you don't need the rest, I hate to admit it but WoW has a better crafting system and SWG Pre-cu did.

I only upgrade my gear one time, and changed my lightsaber 3 times, the light saber should be the only thing we should be able to mod, and scale with us, not the item we get once we leave coruscant and dumond. I hope the devs learn the error in this and make crafting useful and not useless, but George Zoeller already said he doesn't care for the consumer, so we won't see nothing changing...guess I'll be going back to WoW.

Anima-
01.04.2012 , 01:21 PM | #29
Well I just want to say I would be right there with you OP. I was a AS on Eclipse for years and I miss it so much! Really I would play any sandbox MMO if the crafting was like SWG. Play based economy gave me a reason to log in every day!

Dave_Bodom
01.04.2012 , 02:16 PM | #30
What actually was crafting like on SWG? I never played and the answers probably numerously posted everywhere (probably even this topic, i admit i skim read it) but im curious just from all the love ive seen it given but i never played
Why do they call you Bodom? Is it like the drum beat, Bodom-Chh?