Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If Star Wars Galaxies Was Still Around I'd Be There; I Miss Crafting

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
If Star Wars Galaxies Was Still Around I'd Be There; I Miss Crafting

Recnal
01.02.2012 , 10:12 AM | #1
So, Crafting in SWTOR is nowhere near as amazing as crafting in SWG -the one thing Sony did right. And now, Sony, in collusion with Lucas Arts, has murdered the one and only amazing crafting system of any MMO in the past, and, I fear, alas, never ever to be reproduced in the future as it doesn't fit 'modern game theory'. This makes me one sad panda that crafting here in SWTOR is so, uh, juvenile. Simple. Tediously boring and expensive to do to boot.

I'll probably still play SWTOR here and there; I love the story line, the artistic style. Besides, many of my friends play SWTOR, at least for now. I may despise the hideousness of the UI and inability to move windows, my target, the target of my target (haven't even found that yet), move the quick-slot bars, the pet bar, heck, everything HUD element-wise but I understand that SOME of those issues are a future patch, way in the future patch. (you know, actually, LotRO does their HUD/UI elements right and I wish Bioware had learned how from them).

But what really kills me is how poorly crafting was designed. You pay your companion to run missions instead of being able to gather on your own. Yes, I know, some gathering professions allow you to harvest. But Diplomacy? You pay. That's the one "Non-Gathering" gathering profession I/ve tried and do - you just can't pick it off the ground/corpse/drop. Maybe I'm just not high enough to see it happening, I am only CL19. Not that it matters, really. I can tell that crafting was 'added' as an after-thought, much like LotRO,, and pretty much every other new MMO. Same established pattern. SWG, and EVE as well, being two of the few exceptions to poorly-designed 'modern game theory' crafting - perhaps because SWG to a certain extent, and most certainly EVE, are 'sandbox' MMOs vice being a 'themepark' like SWTOR. I guess if I want to be a serious crafter, I'll have to reactivate my EVE account(s) that I closed in anticipation of SWTOR.

Rest in Peace, Star Wars Galaxies. I for one, will miss you, especially for the crafting.

Corwingeorge
01.02.2012 , 10:13 AM | #2
i dunno man nge was pretty bad

Baizak
01.02.2012 , 10:16 AM | #3
I am glad that people can not pick up this game and just focus on crafting/etertaning/selling alone. If you want to be a crafter go to the craft store and build a bird house. Otherwise pick up a light saber or blaster and go save or destroy the galaxy. Crafting is for companions, as it should be.
Proud Member of <The Meat Bags> on the Corellian Run Server
Mains: Mistai and Baltimore

MrPea
01.02.2012 , 10:16 AM | #4
I still play SWG pre cu and its still great.
Such a shame it got murdered nothing else came close to it.

(Unfortunately I cant tell you who what how etc as its against forum rules for some reason)
Well, let's just say I was a strapping young lad with a full head of hair, and Coruscant was a small town with a well.

jarjarloves
01.02.2012 , 10:20 AM | #5
crafting and the community seem like the only thing that people really like about it.

But anyway SWG still exists go look up SWGEMU

DevonDs
01.02.2012 , 10:20 AM | #6
I prefer this crafting system. I like that gear that drops is as good as made because I am not into playing business oriented games.... You desires are certainly valid however I hope this game is never a crafters paradise and instead continues to focus on story and plot... I hope that other games meet your needs as well as this game meets mine.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Marlaine
01.02.2012 , 10:26 AM | #7
Sorry you feel that way. As a SWG architect I can certainly relate to what you are saying. However, this is way better of a crafting system than I thought it would be. In fact, I think it's better than wow (although that doesn't take much) and better than eve's. It revolves around creating alts, and to a certain extent having more than one account.

I think you need to dig into the crafting system a bit more here. Determine some markets to participate in (which will likely be focused around your main character's needs), and the alts you need to support varying professions.

For example, I have a lvl 19, and realized quickly that I needed an alt for him. As a sith warrior I needed synthweaving and artifacing, and of course one of those requires an alt. I also need archaelogy (for mats), underworld trading (for mats), investigation (for schematics), and treasure hunting (for gemstones). Boom! There's two characters filled with crafting skills, and I haven't even started yet on biochem/bioanalysis and cybertech. And all that is just for a force user. I'll have to create even more alts if I want to play a non-force alt, cause there's an entire array of stuff for those characters.

Another good thing about crafting in this game are the rare recipes. At least for artifacing and synthweaving, from the information I've seen on TORHead it appears that you can create a blue schematic of pretty much any green schematic. Now of course the easy to make ones that are used for leveling (e.g. belts and bracers that have lower resource requirements) will be pretty well worthless. But if you want to get a foothold into the other markets, it comes down to you to spend the time and materials to get the rest of the blue recipes. Not everyone is going to do this and allows us a certain amount of differentiation between crafters. Add in critical procs, and there's all kinds of market potential.

Finally, I woud really like to get a second (or more) account at this stage because those mission skills should be run constantly. I think there's gonna be real money in that part of the game. It makes good sense to have some alts dedicated to those skills who are doing nothing but running missions 24/7 (uh-oh sounds like an easy to make bot). I've got these two characters running four companions most of the time now (although money is limiting that), and I've got a whole lot more mat collecting to do.

So anyways tldr version....doesn't sound to me like you've really checked out all that crafting has to offer in this game.

Marlaine
01.02.2012 , 10:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Baizak View Post
I am glad that people can not pick up this game and just focus on crafting/etertaning/selling alone. If you want to be a crafter go to the craft store and build a bird house. Otherwise pick up a light saber or blaster and go save or destroy the galaxy. Crafting is for companions, as it should be.
Well that's a really closed-minded view. Crafting brings a ton to mmos. If you can't understand why people like crafting than that's really your problem. Suffice it to say that only a child-like mentality would think that their way of playing is the only way others like to play.

Marlaine
01.02.2012 , 10:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DevonDs View Post
I prefer this crafting system. I like that gear that drops is as good as made because I am not into playing business oriented games.... You desires are certainly valid however I hope this game is never a crafters paradise and instead continues to focus on story and plot... I hope that other games meet your needs as well as this game meets mine.
SWG proved that a crafting game alone is not a profitable model. There can be no doubt about that. That's why the future is in the hybrid mmo, cause you can't have wow raids every moment you play either.

Recnal
01.02.2012 , 10:31 AM | #10
Thanks Marlaine, for that bit of advice. I will certainly look into this more and start to work your suggestions. I need to learn patience, a la Luke! and give it more in-depth practice. But, you have to admit, SWG crafting was amazing.
Thanks for the encouragement!