Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Rise of Skywalker (( Spoliers ))

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Rise of Skywalker (( Spoliers ))

nkarapinha
12.24.2019 , 03:29 AM | #21
Spoiler

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
No, I think that it's much simpler than that.
Spoiler

cunctatorg
12.24.2019 , 03:06 PM | #22
To my taste, by far the best of this, so to speak, unfortunate (...) last Trilogy.

A virtue of it is that the
Spoiler
concept answers (satisfactorily in a SW Galaxy framework) some serious questions about Episodes VII and VIII...

Its real virtue is, in some measure, its real weakness; I mean that its seriousness, its essence is that it is most of all (in fact absolutely)
Spoiler
and therefore the, so focused, trilogy tends to become comparatively poor; everything else is just an appetizer, an ornery ... and often a wannabe appetizer... ...

Take, for example, the Knights of Ren;
Spoiler

The result is that the only characters that really count are Rey, her dual,
Spoiler
perhaps nobody else...

I must add that Daisey Ridley gave a really convincing, one really existing Rey, she is able to make complete emotional contact with her character and the audience and that Adam Driver's performance was very accurate and balanced, almost perfect! Moreover the
Spoiler
was, as usual, able to give a pretty
Spoiler
performance!!

Alas, the movie will pay (in some measure) the crimes of TLJ and TFA.

With regard to the initial post of this thread, I have to comment that Rey is truly a
Spoiler

Ylliarus
12.27.2019 , 01:07 PM | #23
Finally I got to see The Rise of Skywalker today! My (spoiler-free) thoughts?

Spoiler
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Spartanik
12.29.2019 , 10:37 AM | #24
Well i felt all the sacrifices made by characters in previous movies, were just made into window dressing for Rey.

Didn't like this movie just as i didn't liked this new trilogy.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

cunctatorg
12.29.2019 , 11:11 AM | #25
Two more words, namely a brief explanation why I do love this movie - I hopefully elaborate more on this in due time!

I have written that it's essentially
Spoiler

All these three concepts are fully -and fundamentally- incorporated (not only under a "dark", negative but also under a positive ... light) in all of Star Wars!!...
I will go further and tell that this idea must be the main inspiration of this whole Trilogy...

Of course there are way too many ... passages, destined to
Spoiler

However the concept of the aforementioned, main spoiler is hard to realize, harder to digest and even harder to ... adopt, accept or embrace!!... Hence a comparatively unfortunate Trilogy, for the time being of course; in the future the fanbase will embrace its merits!!

Nowadays the Disney shareholders are counting the profits... and they are thinking about the ... "projected" profits and ... the lost profits ...

jovianus
12.29.2019 , 09:55 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by allexj View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

Nee-Elder
12.30.2019 , 12:07 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
Spoiler
I must admit, jaded as you may very well be....i completely agree with your post/points.

Although you did mis-spell 'Tatooine'

But seriously: How could J.J. Abrams----a self proclaimed fan & student of most things STAR WARS---have missed (or ignored? ) such obvious plot/lore holes? Was it just a simple case of too much pressure from DISNEY? Or just too many writer-cooks in the film-kitchen ?

p.s. I wonder what George Lucas thinks about Ep. 9 ........?
Never tell me the odds!

Pirana
12.30.2019 , 06:35 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nee-Elder View Post
I must admit, jaded as you may very well be....i completely agree with your post/points.

Although you did mis-spell 'Tatooine'

But seriously: How could J.J. Abrams----a self proclaimed fan & student of most things STAR WARS---have missed (or ignored? ) such obvious plot/lore holes? Was it just a simple case of too much pressure from DISNEY? Or just too many writer-cooks in the film-kitchen ?

p.s. I wonder what George Lucas thinks about Ep. 9 ........?
I think that's the key right there. Disney wanted to bring it back to its origins. J.J. can't be and is hopefully not that ignorant.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

cunctatorg
12.30.2019 , 06:31 PM | #29
Why Tatooine?!?
It seems pretty simple to me: Tatooine is the homeland of the, let's say, patriarch/creator of that -very strong in the Force and utterly influential- Skywalker family, not just of all this Saga...
Anakin had been raised on Tatooine, his mother died there and this is where he buried her. The Jedi -namely Jedi Master (Knight?) Qui-Gon Jinn and his, then, Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi- met, found Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine...
Luke Skywalker had been also raised on Tatooine and one of the last Jedi, now Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, "met" him there, while living for two decades -as a hermit- on this planet in order to remotely guard Luke. Obi-Wan's connection to the story of the Skywalker family is fundamental and even himself had formed too many essential connections with this planet... Furthermore they both met Han Solo there in order to escape their hunters and join the Rebel Alliance . Rey's emotions about Han Solo and his son aside, she has eventually Chewbacca -and only him- in order to speak about the story and rise of Skywalkers... And Chewbacca himself met both Obi-Wan and Luke (at least, for the first time both of them together) on this planet, his other stories and memories aside...
Regarding Leia, Alderaan is no more; there is only the planet where both her father and her brother had been raised and the planet where her husband met her brother in order to eventually join her... And it was Leia's attempt to reach Obi-Wan on Tatooine that set in motion the eventual meeting of Luke, Obi-Wan and Han Solo and the relevant ... Trilogy.
Therefore it seems pretty clear to me that ... this is the place, gentlemen!

Why Skywalker?!?
Spoiler

jovianus
12.30.2019 , 11:51 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cunctatorg View Post
Why Tatooine?!?
It seems pretty simple to me: Tatooine is the homeland of the, let's say, patriarch/creator of that -very strong in the Force and utterly influential- Skywalker family, not just of all this Saga...
Anakin had been raised on Tatooine, his mother died there and this is where he buried her. The Jedi -namely Jedi Master (Knight?) Qui-Gon Jinn and his, then, Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi- met, found Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine...
Luke Skywalker had been also raised on Tatooine and one of the last Jedi, now Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, "met" him there, while living for two decades -as a hermit- on this planet in order to remotely guard Luke. Obi-Wan's connection to the story of the Skywalker family is fundamental and even himself had formed too many essential connections with this planet... Furthermore they both met Han Solo there in order to escape their hunters and join the Rebel Alliance . Rey's emotions about Han Solo and his son aside, she has eventually Chewbacca -and only him- in order to speak about the story and rise of Skywalkers... And Chewbacca himself met both Obi-Wan and Luke (at least, for the first time both of them together) on this planet, his other stories and memories aside...
Regarding Leia, Alderaan is no more; there is only the planet where both her father and her brother had been raised and the planet where her husband met her brother in order to eventually join her... And it was Leia's attempt to reach Obi-Wan on Tatooine that set in motion the eventual meeting of Luke, Obi-Wan and Han Solo and the relevant ... Trilogy.
Therefore it seems pretty clear to me that ... this is the place, gentlemen!

Why Skywalker?!?
Spoiler

Uh, yes, thank you for the detailed explanation of all the reasons Tatooine and Skywalker are important to the FANS, not to the characters themselves...but that was kind of my point.