Just Cancelled, Here's Why

Never before in an MMO have I felt it necessary to make a "I'm cancelling" post, but SWTOR has inspired me. Also, no you cannot "has your stuff" and yes, after this post I will just leave and no longer concern myself with these forums.

My feedback on the account cancellation screen:

The complete and utter ineptitude demonstrated by your development and quality assurance teams has forced my cancellation of what I would otherwise have been a loyal fan of for years. I play MMOs for end-game content, primarily raiding, and in that field BioWare has failed completely. The plethora of bugs and necessary workarounds just to bypass your shoddy code are ridiculous. It's painfully evident that you do not play-test your code changes prior to patch release, or you'd notice that every time you try to "fix" an issue you typically make it worse or even create new tertiary bugs. That you could ruin such a prestigious intellectual property and drive away a life-long Star Wars fan such as myself is truly an accomplishment.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never before in an MMO have I felt it necessary to make a "I'm cancelling" post, but SWTOR has inspired me. Also, no you cannot "has your stuff" and yes, after this post I will just leave and no longer concern myself with these forums.

The game has only been out roughly two months... I think it's a bit unfair for you to make this argument in ways where it only attacks this game but not previous games with bugs in the first four months. I'm hating the bugs just as much as you are, but to say that the development team isn't doing their job is erroneous. I just don't think you know the massiveness of this game. The game is just to enormous to fix bugs all in one setting. They're ultimately humans and make mistakes, as do you. Some bugs that look "easy" to fix are certainly not easy to fix at all, and are tedious as well as time consuming. Hate to see a fellow player go because of this.

I'm not annoyed anywhere near enough by the bugs to cancel my sub, be they tertiary or frontline, but I will grant that they are very annoying. There are workarounds; there are altered strategies. Personally I am pretty partial to the bugs. I think they give the game character. I find that most of them (I said most, not all) don't actually prevent a fight from being won, but just make it a bit harder. In those cases I'll be able to look back and say "You beat it? Ya, well, I beat it BEFORE the fix". Don't get me wrong. I still wish they weren't there. However (some would say I'm misguided in this), BW still has my faith that they will fix their game's issues. Let's not forget that this game is less than 3 months from official release, and let's also not forget that EA has this kind of track record, frequently letting (maybe even pushing?) games out before they are really ready to hit the shelves. Knowing that, I still saw everyone clamoring "OMG! Release the game already!!!11!". And don't point to the BETA. It's great for server stress testing and all, but in no way will a BETA, no matter how big, be able to truly compare to actual release. All problems will not be caught and fixed.

That being said, I think BW has picked the wrong strategy in terms of how they address issues. One large patch with well orchestrated, well tested, and well implemented fixes is FAR superior to a plethora of small patches that do nothing more than mask a problem at best, and at worst cause more.

All-in-all, I just wish people would chill the heck out. If it bothers you as much as OP then do what he did. Un-sub. If you can stand it then stand it. Roll an alt or fare the stormy seas of raiding. The game will get better. The game will get bigger. The bugs will get fixed. Report the bugs and move on. I'm tired of seeing so many whiny posts.

You are not familiar with the testing process, or the development process in general but thats understandable.

The first thing you had wrong was to imply that their QA team did a bad job, and also that they did not know how to test.

From working in software QA for 13 years, I can tell you that QA does not fix bugs nor do they decide what bugs get fixed. Every single issue that you hate could very well be written up in the QA database. Just because its a bug doesn't mean QA didnt find it.

More than likely, it means a producer chose to not prioritize that particular issue OR they did not have the resources available to look at the code and fix it. All bugs are fixable but some may be so complex that the devs are temporarily stumped and put the issue on the backburner. Its very rarely QAs fault.

That's all great but it doesn't really provide any real information. See ya in game.

Bugs are one thing, but when you CANT finish encounters because of bugs it's a completely different story. There needs to be some sort of support system in place for these issues. Either a reset, or better yet a GM system where they can, for example, spawn missing platforms, open locked doors that bug out. Realize you had the boss down but couldn't complete due to immunity and spawn a chest for you.

The ones that bother me the most are:

• Bosses go invulnerable, and shield NEVER drops (Directve 7 anyone?)
  • Inturruptible abilities not being interrupted when you cast
  • Random trash disappears but still hits you
  • Progression blocked due to a bug, or missing spawn (Platforms not spawning, doors not opening, respawning past certain points you need for updates on a death and can't get back)

I don't mind dieing and paying for death when it's the mechanics that beat you, or you simply don't understand the fight. I do however very much dislike paying for deaths due to unavoidable unfixable bugs and in some cases losing out on items, and not being able to finish quests/progress because of them. I've spent more credits than I can count on repairs due to bad code not bad gameplay.

Guys, we can't reply to him--he's not coming back to read this evar! :D

Side note, to turn this into a constructive post...can we get a forum script that detects "cancelling my sub" in an OP and deletes the thread automagically?

Side side note of real constructivism: OP, I know you're not reading this to see if you successfully inspire rage, but after you don't read this, could you provide some relevant details related to the Flashpoints, Ops, or Heroics that were giving you trouble, rather than a vague paragraph of insults about the devs' commitment to the game? A lesser forum poster might otherwise confuse your post for trolling.

The game has only been out roughly two months... I think it's a bit unfair for you to make this argument in ways where it only attacks this game but not previous games with bugs in the first four months. I'm hating the bugs just as much as you are, but to say that the development team isn't doing their job is erroneous. I just don't think you know the massiveness of this game. The game is just to enormous to fix bugs all in one setting. They're ultimately humans and make mistakes, as do you. Some bugs that look "easy" to fix are certainly not easy to fix at all, and are tedious as well as time consuming. Hate to see a fellow player go because of this.

Sorry. I don't think "its only been out for two months"justifies some of these critical bugs/glitches that exist. Much of the core game functionality has not worked. And some still doesn't. While i do think there are enough redeeming qualities to continue playing for now, i cannot disagree with anyone who criticizes the sheer amount of flaws endemic to design or wrong code.

Edited by RaulTheConquerer

Bugs are one thing, but when you CANT finish encounters because of bugs it's a completely different story. There needs to be some sort of support system in place for these issues. Either a reset, or better yet a GM system where they can, for example, spawn missing platforms, open locked doors that bug out. Realize you had the boss down but couldn't complete due to immunity and spawn a chest for you.

The ones that bother me the most are:

• Bosses go invulnerable, and shield NEVER drops (Directve 7 anyone?)
  • Inturruptible abilities not being interrupted when you cast
  • Random trash disappears but still hits you
  • Progression blocked due to a bug, or missing spawn (Platforms not spawning, doors not opening, respawning past certain points you need for updates on a death and can't get back)

I don't mind dieing and paying for death when it's the mechanics that beat you, or you simply don't understand the fight. I do however very much dislike paying for deaths due to unavoidable unfixable bugs and in some cases losing out on items, and not being able to finish quests/progress because of them. I've spent more credits than I can count on repairs due to bad code not bad gameplay.

This here is my main gripe with the game and one I planned to voice if I get selected to attend the guild leader summit .... the game needs in game GM's that can respond within 15 - 30 mins of a support ticket being placed (if it is something like boss not spawning, or loot bugging out, etc). There are too many instances going around of simple problems a GM could fix being shuffled to the automated droid response system four days after the fact with "We got your report and forwarding it to blah blah" then having the ticket closed unresolved. That drives subs away.

You want to know a game that does this perfectly? Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. As much trouble as that game has gone through during its lifespan, it has by far the best CS and GM team in the MMO industry.

So if your never coming back why can't I have your stuff?

Also you have to have patience with MMOs , eveything isn't going to work exactly as it's suppose to in the first few months.

or in the months after;) that's just MMOs for ya. There will always be something wrong.

Ya'll are acting like this is your first launch experience of an MMO.......this game is FAAAAAAAR more stable/playable/bug free than WoW was when it was released. problems raiding? LOL that game invented end game headaches due to "bad coding". Sure, its kind of rocky right now, but give them time to sort it out. It was at least 6 months before WoW started improving....and even then it was a long road. The forums were filled with the same BS as this...and even after each expansion it was more of the same...."geez blizz at least test your code bla bla bla".....its getting old people....STOOFOO

But can I haz your credits?

Ya'll are acting like this is your first launch experience of an MMO.......this game is FAAAAAAAR more stable/playable/bug free than WoW was when it was released. problems raiding? LOL that game invented end game headaches due to "bad coding". Sure, its kind of rocky right now, but give them time to sort it out. It was at least 6 months before WoW started improving....and even then it was a long road. The forums were filled with the same BS as this...and even after each expansion it was more of the same...."geez blizz at least test your code bla bla bla".....its getting old people....STOOFOO

Compare it to Rift's launch, not some game that came out in 2004.

This is also 2 months in to launch and the end game content bugs are getting worse than our first time raiding a month and a half ago.

Edited by Holly_MF

This is also 2 months in to launch and the end game content bugs are getting worse than our first time raiding a month and a half ago.

Do you think that people couldn't code in 2004? Or perhaps back then errors were not prioritized or something? Have you ever programmed anything in your life outside of a remote? Sorry, but comparing whether bugs exist or not has no relevance on 8 years ago. Game mechanics changed over the years, design has changed, but the ability to not be perfect has not changed.

Do you think that people couldn't code in 2004? Or perhaps back then errors were not prioritized or something? Have you ever programmed anything in your life outside of a remote? Sorry, but comparing whether bugs exist or not has no relevance on 8 years ago. Game mechanics changed over the years, design has changed, but the ability to not be perfect has not changed.

I have, I also have experience in testing it.

I'm just pointing out that there are companies out there that have done it right.

1.) They respond to the community

2.) They identify the bugs, and fix them.

3.) They fess up when they mess up.

4.) Aim to decrease bugs.

5.) Provide great customer service.

It doesn't matter if it's 2004 or 2012 for those things, but the fact of the matter is, Bioware is not doing a good job with any of these areas.

I have, I also have experience in testing it.

I'm just pointing out that there are companies out there that have done it right.

1.) They respond to the community

2.) They identify the bugs, and fix them.

3.) They fess up when they mess up.

4.) Aim to decrease bugs.

5.) Provide great customer service.

It doesn't matter if it's 2004 or 2012 for those things, but the fact of the matter is, Bioware is not doing a good job with any of these areas.

Hmm, I guess I don't have blinders on. I see a very active developer team responding to threads on the forums and the community manager taking time out of his day to answer things on twitter. I see a lot of transparency in the fact that they are trying to fix both PVP and PVE bugs and glitches.

I guess if you don't read anything that Bioware puts up then you come somehow come to conclusion that they don't aim to decrease bugs, when they explicitly state such.

Two months into street release of the game and people want perfection. Perfection is a goal that is achieved through time. If you're impatient, that is your problem. Bioware is fixing bugs and working on this game all the time.

It doesn't matter if its 2004 or 2012, there will always be a bunch of whiney little children on the forums telling the company that they are terrible for perceived slights.

This is what happens when that darn sense of entitlement tells people that if the game is not perfect at launch, its not good enough for them..

Not sure if its unreaistic expectations, entitlement issues or bad luck, but if there's no patience to let the game dev's sort out whats wrong then like another poster said earlier:

"One less pessimistic player ". Indeed.

It's also maybe 5 or 10 less whiny posts about ignored pleas to CS for help that Bioware CS have to wade through on their way to getting to the real problems that this game has for some people.

Edited by Niccali

You do realize that Rift is nothing more than WoW 2.0 right? And that many of the devs had experience working at Blizzard prior to going to Trion? Or that almost every single one of their game concepts was ripped, borrowed, or stolen from some other MMO and that nothing in the game was orginal? I played it. Was fun for a month.