I've gone through the first three pages - Queuing for WZ/FPs rationale?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can indeed be frustrating, but this is how i see the situation:

A random WZ is the same as a random FP. It's a PuG (pick up group). Noone owes anything to anyone except performing their role while a part of the group. This means, even if it's considered impolite and rude, noone is bound to stay for the whole match/run. People can leave whenever they want.

Yes, by doing so they put their former team into disadvantage, but this is how the system works. The only things devs can do is either completely forbid leaving the FP's and WZ's before they are completed (which is ridiculous), or implement some sort of penalties.

As a player, you can overcome the said issues by playing in an organized group, let it be a pre-made or a guild run. This is why people organize into guilds, no matter PvP or PvE focused - to have reliable people at their side.

Well, you're definitely not waiting endlessly for a person to click his "ready" button. When a FP group is formed, there is a 1 minute window for everyone to accept their roles. If a person doesn't do it for any given reason in the said time frame, he's booted from the queue and the remaining people are placed on top of the list.

Ok then can we get the ability to put people on ignore and not have to queue warzones with them too so we don't have to deal with people like you more than once? While there is no actual punnishment to leave we do have the ability to ignore those we do not want to group with for GF so we do not have to deal with them more than once if they make our game less enjoyable. Why not allow the same for Warzones?

Edited by HelinCarnate

Ok then can we get the ability to put people on ignore and not have to queue warzones with them too so we don't have to deal with people like you more than once? While there is no actual punnishment to leave we do have the ability to ignore those we do not want to group with for GF so we do not have to deal with them more than once if they make our game less enjoyable. Why not allow the same for Warzones?

I'm for this. Any functionality that lets me exclude known toolbags from my gameplay experience is a great idea.

Also:

yo dawg i herd u like 2 q so i put a q in ur q so u can q while u q

I'm not actually against this so much as i'm against the group finder que's being so long. if they fix that problem then most of us don't give a flying you know what about warzones. Lets cross server this bad boy and actually fix the problem.

What I'm hearing is people saying they want to be able to stay in their group finder queue while they're playing a warzone and that it no longer possible. I'm assuming here, but the accepted practice seems to be that you will enter your flashpoint when the queue pops whether you're in the warzone or not, or you will enter your flashpoint after you've completed your warzone. Is that right? Because if that's right, that's the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. You want the ability to leave the warzone you're in, in effect hurting 7 other people who are sharing that time with you, (clearly their time isn't as important as yours) so you can do the flashpoint you want to do. OR, your plan is to make 3 other people wait for you, (clearly their time isn't as important as yours either) to begin their flashpoint while you finish your warzone? Man you're just the most important person in this game and everyone should schedule their play time around your schedule and be honored that you've chosen to play with us eh?

The loss to a warzone team is minimal when warzones backfill instantly or near instantly.

If you're a DPS, it can easily take anywhere from 1-3 hours for a HM FP queue to pop (especially if you're trying for a specific FP like lost island).

Seriously sit for a second and think about the alternatives. You can now choose between sitting at your screen and doing ostensibly nothing with other people (you can't group or PVP at all) while you wait for group finder to cycle through all the DPS who queued before you. It makes a lot less people want to queue for one or the other, which increases queue times even further.

Personally i don't have anything against what you suggest. It works just fine for FP's and should do just as good in WZ's, so people "like you" can avoid playing with people "like me".

Have to warn you though that people leaving exactly because of FP queue pops are the minority and you can't really separate them from those who leave for one of a million other reasons. So i guess your ignore list is going to be filled in a couple of days.

Edited by Trollokdamus

• Dev Post
Hi everyone, we asked Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer) to shed some more light on why this change was made. As many of you suspected, we implemented this change to reduce the frequency with which players abandon Warzone matches mid-fight. We found that Group Finder queues popping were a major cause of players leaving, and wanted to mitigate this negative impact on Warzones.

Hi everyone, we asked Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer) to shed some more light on why this change was made. As many of you suspected, we implemented this change to reduce the frequency with which players abandon Warzone matches mid-fight. We found that Group Finder queues popping were a major cause of players leaving, and wanted to mitigate this negative impact on Warzones.

Are there any plans for making fp lfg more viable for dps at lower levels? Because this decision isn't helping those at all.

Wouldn't, possibly, it work better if the queue just wouldn't pop during a PvP match?

Allow people to queue for PvP while waiting for some other mission, but just not give them the option to queue out of a PvP match once it starts?

That way the people would have the option of PvPing to keep busy. If they lose their place in line in a queue for a flashpoint then so be it, but if the flashpoint was slow coming together, it might still be waiting for them when they get out of their warzone, particularly if they were a tank or a healer.

Wouldn't, possibly, it work better if the queue just wouldn't pop during a PvP match?

Allow people to queue for PvP while waiting for some other mission, but just not give them the option to queue out of a PvP match once it starts?

That way the people would have the option of PvPing to keep busy. If they lose their place in line in a queue for a flashpoint then so be it, but if the flashpoint was slow coming together, it might still be waiting for them when they get out of their warzone, particularly if they were a tank or a healer.

Think about it though... in the context of our player base. Wouldn't that generate as many complaints though? Along the lines of "OMG.... I never get a flashpoint queue pop!!!!.....SWTOR is Fail!!.... Fix it NAO!!!!"

Personally, I agree with their change to the mechanics here. Fact is, if people would show some self-discipline and not drop from group when something better (to them) pops, they would never of had an issue to address here. If you join a group to do something as a group.. you should show commitment to the group to finish what you started IMO.... not just run as soon as the candy bell goes off. Since people can't self-discipline, Bioware did it for you.

Edited by Andryah

I actually support this move. Way too many people leaving WZs mid-fight. Not only does it inconvenience their teammates, but it's not fair to the poor sod who gets dropped into the middle of the warzone to take their place.

This was standard practice in WoW. You were not allowed to queue for both BGs and dungeons at the same time.

How does Rob, the Senior PvP Designer, not realize/understand the counter effect this change has?!

Rather than queuing up for their dailies and waiting for the queue to pop while doing WZ's, now people are just skipping the WZs. This harms the very thing he's directly involved in designing...PvP.

The BETTER solution would have been to suppress the GF pop-up until AFTER a WZ. 13min max.

This was obviously the only possible reason. A far better solution would be something like above, where if your queue pops during a match, you are told you are being skipped and placed at the top of the GF queue, so you know not to requeue for warzones (because your GF is due to pop soon).

The current alternative of having to choose to wait in one very long line (GF for DPS) while doing nothing is causing both pvp and GF queues to increase on my server.

I actually support this move. Way too many people leaving WZs mid-fight. Not only does it inconvenience their teammates, but it's not fair to the poor sod who gets dropped into the middle of the warzone to take their place.

This was standard practice in WoW. You were not allowed to queue for both BGs and dungeons at the same time.

Exactly.

This game isn't W0W and this change will have a VERY minimal impact on people leaving WZ's.

The BETTER solution would have been to suppress the GF pop-up until AFTER a WZ. 13min max.

That is a selfish, individual player centered view (as contrasted with what is good for the community of GF as a whole) IMO. It does nothing to resolve queues stalling on the non-PvP side. In fact, it encourages more bad behavior.

Edited by Andryah

That is a selfish, player centered view IMO. It does nothing to resolve queues stalling on the non-PvP side. In fact, it encourages more bad behavior.

How on earth does it "encourage more bad behavior"? Suppressing the pop-up would mean the very most you'd be delayed is 13 min for a PvE mission, well under that the majority of the time.

How on earth does it "encourage more bad behavior"? Suppressing the pop-up would mean the very most you'd be delayed is 13 min for a PvE mission, well under that the majority of the time.

It injects more exception case cycles into the GF, just so an individual player is able to stack his queues. It encourages stacking of queues... which was not the intended play style.

This very thread... where people are complaining because they cannot stack queues. Sad to say, but since the player base lacks the maturity to not stack queues, Bioware did the "Mom" thing... and fixed it for them.

Ah, thank you, so you have no real official source for your statement of fact that stacking queues was not the intended playstyle. Understood.

Ah, thank you, so you have no real official source for your statement of fact that stacking queues was not the intended playstyle. Understood.

Dude.... they said in Allisons post that it was not the playstyle they wanted. It was causing unintented problems (and I'm sure, many player complaints), so they stepped in and fixed it. :rolleyes:

Of course we could argue back and forth all day about the fix they chose, but that would be pointless.... they addressed a problem, and installed a fix. Working as intended now, even though some people don't like being forced to not stack queues.

Edited by Andryah

More proof that the Devs don't play their own game!

Group finder queue's take forever! So now the only option is to sit on fleet for ~hour and do nothing if you want to stay in the group finder queue. Way to kill group finder. Queues take even longer now to pop due to less people in them.

Anyone who PvPs knows that while some people drop a WZ midway due to a queue pop, the majority of people who quit a WZ immediately re-queue upon exit.

More proof that the Devs don't play their own game!

Group finder queue's take forever! So now the only option is to sit on fleet for ~hour and do nothing if you want to stay in the group finder queue. Way to kill group finder. Queues take even longer now to pop due to less people in them.

Anyone who PvPs knows that while some people drop a WZ midway due to a queue pop, the majority of people who quit a WZ immediately re-queue upon exit.

So to you personally, there is nothing to do except: queue for a WZ, queue for a FP, sit in fleet and complain? I see. Thing is, not everybody has such a self-constrained playstyle.