SWTOR sucks, doesn't it?

Deewe

This game has so many flaws and barely any new content at all. In mostly every single aspect it's worse than any other AAA MMO.

So the true question, apart the IP (emphasis): why do you still play it and pay a subscription?

Couple of leads:

• It is because of your group/guild mates?
  • It is out of habit?
  • Is it because of specific(s) feature(s)?

As a try to shed some perspective:

Foks, you don't need community members to agree with you for your opinions to be valid. They are NOT the folks you need to convince.
Edited by Deewe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much what Eshvara said...it may not be perfect, but something doesn't need to be perfect for me to enjoy it and have fun.

I enjoy playing it. If I ever get bored, I take a break and go play something else. Then usually come back eventually to check out what's changed while I was gone.

It seems so many people here just don't have that ability to move on if something isn't to their liking. If you hate it so much, don't play it. Find something you do enjoy playing. it seems too many people here feel like they have to be able to say that they've played continuously since launch as though it's some sort of badge of honor....and they seem to be the very same ones griping about it being old, worn-out, devoid of content, etc. Well, yes, it's going to be hard to find any game that can keep you continuously occupied and excited for six solid years.

Well I enjoy the game still, so there's that...but it's mostly because of the people I meet and the ones I know. They make this game what it is to me. As "toxic" as our community can be at times (in game or here), I still enjoy the vast majority of you enough that the few trolls I encounter, are merely a minimal distraction.

I was gone for a year. There's still content that I haven't done yet. Also, I'm having fun for the time being. When I stop having fun, I'll move on to something that I will have fun with. I may be back when that's no longer fun. I may not. Who knows?

But if you dislike the game so much that you have to start a thread about how much it sucks, then perhaps you need to just go ahead and cancel your account and move along to something you'll enjoy.

SNIP... why do you still play it and pay a subscription?

I play because the guild I'm in is pretty cool.

I play because I get a fairly large amount of free CC each month that very nicely offsets the cost of the sub.

Thats it.

It's not the story as thats not all that good or well written.

Cash shop push beyond all other things.

The game play is ultimately the same but we're still doing old stale content for the most part.

The extremely limited new content always has a draw back making it not worth doing.

bioware design on even the simplest things turns out different than told or an outright lie.

biwoare design on simple things like the upcoming UC for disintegration of crates is so convoluted it makes you question their intelligence.

All of those are reason to just get out but until my top two go away then I've got a reason to stay a sub because I have fun with those players but it isn't the game thats holding me here because bioware isn't designing anything worth that kind of retention power.

omg if you hate teh game so much just leave lololol swtor is perfect except the things i complain about. can i haz your stuff?

Nah but seriously.

Class Stories

FP healing.

For the former it's that BioWare crack-cocaine touch of full voiced dialog getting NPCs to "react" to you. For the latter it's fun enough gameplay and a nice feeling to be helpful. Plus when things go **** up it's almost never your fault (unless you're completely clueless).

And of course, Star Wars.

Edited by CrutchCricket

I would say "it has lightsabres" except that I'm not *that* keen on lightsabres, and GW2 has one, too.(1)

In fact, it's mostly because I like it, because I have had good fun playing with my guildies, and two years ago it helped me process some [REDACTED] in my head after my wife passed away.

(1) That's my character with the thing drawn. Sheathed, it looks like this (left-hand side). And yes, that's my character, so it's OK that I showed her name.

I would say "it has lightsabres" except that I'm not *that* keen on lightsabres, and GW2 has one, too.(1)

In fact, it's mostly because I like it, because I have had good fun playing with my guildies, and two years ago it helped me process some [REDACTED] in my head after my wife passed away.

(1) That's my character with the thing drawn. Sheathed, it looks like this (left-hand side). And yes, that's my character, so it's OK that I showed her name.

Huh. I suddenly have the urge to go back to GW2.

Too bad weapons aren't dyeable...

Edit: missed teh part in the middle. I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by CrutchCricket

I would love to know what the development team, the people that make the decisions think is great about the game and why people should subscribe to it over the other MMO's out there.

Is it the Graphics, do they feel that the stylised cartoonish graphics allow for greater depth and ascetic enjoyment than games with realistic and highly detailed graphics like Elder Scrolls Online.

Is it the worlds and environments, do they feel the static lifeless worlds offer a greater opportunity to explore and feel like you are part of the world than other mmo's.

Do they feel that the real strength is instanced 4v4, 8v8 or 12v12 PvP battled in which you fight over the same few maps for objectives that mean nothing and has no wider impact on the game. As opposed to other MMO's that offer open world combat.

Is it the gameplay and combat system, where combat is about managing the cool downs on abilities as opposed to reacting to things happening in the combat such as most of that action orientated MMO's.

Is it the group play, with flashpoints and operations that seem to be more about memorizing guides and knowing when to switch from target a to b to hide behind a rock because a guide told you so as opposed to any intuitive from the encounter itself.

Or is it the Star Wars Story, which in recent years has merged into something akin to Keeping Up With the Valkorians and Betrayal. How much of recent content can be said to feel star wars like and how much could with a few name changes have been used in a Mass Effect game with an invincible fleet of Ships from part unknown.

I'd say I play it for the story, but in a year I'd wager we have seen less than one hour of story content or progression, Sure there is a flashpoint with some story, but really its a flashpoint with 5 minutes of cut scenes where nothing I do will change anything. I still don't know who is leading the Republic and Jace Malcom died 7 months ago. So if I'm honest I'd say I play out of habit and the delluision hope that I'll log in and see an announcement that there is going to be an expansion to return the story to the good old days. Though realistically I suspect there will be a post from EA saying Anthem is now their focus and SWTOR is going to maintenance.

I don't pay for leisure activities I don't enjoy. I pay to play this game.

Ergo, I enjoy the game. It's just not that complicated.

I genuinely feel sorry for those who hate this game so much and spend so much time on the forums telling us how much they hate the game, particularly when they repeat the same thing ad nauseum. I find it funny (and arrogant) that some even invoke a false conciousness type of argument and contend that I'm actually not having fun.

Oh well, if that floats your boat...

Dasty

I would love to know what the development team, the people that make the decisions think is great about the game and why people should subscribe to it over the other MMO's out there.

Obviously I can't tell you what the Devs are thinking, but I can tell you why I subscribe to this MMO instead of others.

Is it the Graphics, do they feel that the stylised cartoonish graphics allow for greater depth and ascetic enjoyment than games with realistic and highly detailed graphics like Elder Scrolls Online.

While not perfect, I greatly prefer SWtOR's stylized graphics over hyper-realistic graphics. ESO was too dreary and BDO too skanky.

Is it the worlds and environments, do they feel the static lifeless worlds offer a greater opportunity to explore and feel like you are part of the world than other mmo's.

The environments seem pretty standard for MMOs. While there is room for improvement with spawns, it's not something I'd hop games for. And I dislike night cycles in games, so that's something I prefer to avoid. Weather affects can be OK or irritating depending on the game, so again, not a factor in what games I chose to play. I do wish the worlds were much, much larger though and that is part of my dissatisfaction with FE/ET.

Do they feel that the real strength is instanced 4v4, 8v8 or 12v12 PvP battled in which you fight over the same few maps for objectives that mean nothing and has no wider impact on the game. As opposed to other MMO's that offer open world combat.

Pvp is not a make or break for me. I enjoy the occasional war-zone, but not arenas, though a big battle once in a while would be nice. Again, I wouldn't hop games over pvp unless they started to force it.

Is it the gameplay and combat system, where combat is about managing the cool downs on abilities as opposed to reacting to things happening in the combat such as most of that action orientated MMO's.

While I think we have too many skills, I don't like action oriented combat. So for me, twitchy fights are a reason to stay put where I am.

Is it the group play, with flashpoints and operations that seem to be more about memorizing guides and knowing when to switch from target a to b to hide behind a rock because a guide told you so as opposed to any intuitive from the encounter itself.

I don't like scripted fights, but the big old tank and spanks seem to be a relic of the past. There are plenty of boss fights I enjoy here, but I don't get many opportunities to do them.

Or is it the Star Wars Story, which in recent years has merged into something akin to Keeping Up With the Valkorians and Betrayal. How much of recent content can be said to feel star wars like and how much could with a few name changes have been used in a Mass Effect game with an invincible fleet of Ships from part unknown.

I couldn't care less if the story is "Star Warsy" and I haven't played ME, so I don't suffer from the reusing of plots. I love the fully voiced quests with conversation choices and none of the other MMOs I've tried come anywhere close. I'm not a fan of the FE/ET story or the way it's told, but I enjoy it more than the quests I've done elsewhere and I still enjoy replaying vanilla more than I've enjoyed quests I've done elsewhere.

Now if an MMO comes out with comparable voice acting and a graphics style I enjoy, SWtOR might well lose me...

I'd say I play it for the story, but in a year I'd wager we have seen less than one hour of story content or progression, Sure there is a flashpoint with some story, but really its a flashpoint with 5 minutes of cut scenes where nothing I do will change anything. I still don't know who is leading the Republic and Jace Malcom died 7 months ago. So if I'm honest I'd say I play out of habit and the delluision hope that I'll log in and see an announcement that there is going to be an expansion to return the story to the good old days. Though realistically I suspect there will be a post from EA saying Anthem is now their focus and SWTOR is going to maintenance.

As sad as I am over how little content we have been getting, and as unhappy as I am over the quality of it, I still greatly enjoy the older stories and I haven't seen any other games out or on the horizon that look good enough to tempt me away. They might be worth dabbling in for a month or two, but not worth switching for.

I play it because I still enjoy it. Is it perfect? No, but then again I don't know any game, person, or anything else that is perfect. Sure there are problems but that is part of life as well. I still have fun and some of it is because I have a guild and friends that play but even when they are not on I still enjoy it.

I will also say this if you are not enjoying the game and finding more things to complain about then having fun maybe it is time to take a step back and evaluate if it is worth it for you.

Edited by casirabit

Would be really interesting for sure, I mean apart the IP because it's that obvious :)

Well aside from the obvious reason (it's Star Wars!), there are plenty aspects of the game I do enjoy. The companion system, the story (more so the older content than FE/ET), the interactions with companions. The Old Republic lore in general. I like the Strongholds, solo/story mode flashpoints.

There's also a community aspect, as much as I am a solo player mostly. I've made friends here on the forum, people I now at times see in-game too and some I even talk to 'away from' SWTOR.

As someone else said, the game isn't perfect by any means but it IS enjoyable to me.

This game has so many flaws and barely any new content at all. In mostly every single aspect it's worse than any other AAA MMO.

So the true question, apart the IP (emphasis): why do you still play it and pay a subscription?

Couple of leads:

• It is because of your group/guild mates?
  • It is out of habit?
  • Is it because of specific(s) feature(s)?

i came back to play it because i realised something: holding on to hate for no reason but to hold it and punish myself due to some little feature in the game is just petty. why should i ruin my own enjoyment because i chose to hate? Also if SWTOR does go down, i want to be there to see the game off and take as much enjoyment from this game as possible.

Edited by Celise

As of now, i play it because i enjoy the game despite its many flaws, and it truly feels like you are in the Star Wars universe.

However, i'm just playing it currently bc im replaying the vanilla stories, by far the best part of the game. Once im done with that i'll probably be gone for good.

I dont play it everyday, though. For instance, i just saw there's free Endless Space 2 weekend on Steam, so i'll give it a shot and probably resume playing swtor on monday.

I like it, pure and simple.

Even without the Star Wars IP, the content pre kotfe/Kotet is some of the best I've seen in a MMO/RPG. Sure, the game has it's issues, but it is overall very fun to play.

If they returned the game to pre kotfe/Kotet then my wife and I would return to being subscribing white knights and CM whales ... 01/23/2018 for her and 01/31/2018 for me.

We made our characters' livings out of leveling through each planet like they were the entire game in microcosm: class story + planet story + PvE (leveling) → planet heroics (elder game) → planet flashpoints & world bosses (end game). It was a labor of love that never, ever got old.

Learning and applying proper gearing and ability advancements for characters and companions alike from leveling through group play content was a fixture. Farming to craft gear for our companions was a fixture. If we got our asses kicked in a flashpoint or HM, we leveled up a bit more, got better gear for our characters and companions, learned new abilities, then went back with our companions and played through them until we won. That never got old either.

When our characters reached level cap we would do that most casual of MMO activities that made old content repeatable for high level characters: go back and farm heroic, flashpoint, HM and Ops bosses for customs, mounts and comms. Our guild scheduled a farm night every week for nothing but that, using the overleveled HMs and Ops as a low-stress mentoring platform for less experienced players. This as well as loot tables being taken away combined with 98% of end game since TOS being recycled killed our guild.

Other than Ops, for everything I listed above my wife and I could do in their entirety together and without limitation. Our subscriptions gave us access to the entire game on any level we chose. Players with a single friend weren't shoehorned into anything. Back then we actually had choices. Now the devs are making our choices for us, all the while selling the minimizing changes as giving us more choices. Uh ... no.

That's all gone. All of it. Everything but story was recycled for elder game when they could have simply added new elder game zones to the planets instead of wiping out the leveling game for it. The fixed & farmable loot tables have been replaced by RNG loot crates. And yes they are RNG:

• Changes to Galactic Command disintegration (gear now disintegrates directly into Unassembled Components to help mitigate RNG).

-eric

The "just leave me alone" 140 character attention span speed levelers got what they wanted and the game lost its identity as a result. Companions became purely Ken & Barbie dolls. And now leveling through expansion story starting with 4.0 is limited to solo-only play, prohibiting my wife and I from playing through those together.

What they have done to this game is deplorable. My wife put it best when she said that she remains only because she still holds out hope for a miracle that Bioware will listen up and smell what EA has them shoveling; and do for SWTOR and its player base what Square Enix did for FFXIV and their player base ... give us our game back.

Edited by GalacticKegger