Showdown on Iokath, three sentinals - what the hell?

_Necrofenris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to venture a guess that when Bioware fixed the health pool for the character in the walker, they neglected to buff Damage Resistance to 65-75%. If it is still between 20-30% or so (the difference between light to heavily armored characters), that fight could still be pretty rough, and because of the difference, still not doable for some classes.

In 5.10, a character could have DR as high as 78% on that fight.

Edited by TerraStomper

I'm going to venture a guess that when Bioware fixed the health pool for the character in the walker, they neglected to buff Damage Resistance to 65-75%. If it is still between 20-30% or so (the difference between light to heavily armored characters), that fight could still be pretty rough, and because of the difference, still not doable for some classes.

In 5.10, a character could have DR as high as 78% on that fight.

That could be. The char I took through was a tank. Did almost die but managed to scrape through.

• 1 month later...
This is still a problematic mission and the droids respawned even when I revived in the instance.

This seems to be random. I did this last week or so, managed to kill one droid before I died and it stayed dead when I respawned. I kept up a strat someone mentioned of focusing on one sentinel until I got targeted and then running around using #1 until the rockets stopped, then returning to stomping on the original sentinel.

• 1 month later...

I just did this one a few days ago, and after getting killed several times, I used the stomp strategy.

Just standing in the middle and aoe stomping them all at the same time, while occationally shooting one of them with my standard shot.

• 3 weeks later...

This fight is quite a bit harder than it was in 5.0. Some tips:

• Gear matters. Have as much power and alacrity as you can muster. This maximizes stomping speed and power. Being in gear short on power will decrease the chance of success. Be capped on power with 10% or more alacrity.
  • Class matters. Be a tank if possible, but wear DPS or healer gear. A shield doesn't matter. A tank has the highest chance of beating the fight with fewest deaths due to damage resistance. In 306 gear, a 75 tank will have about 84% damage resistance in the walker. A non-tank in light armor will have about 60% damage resistance, medium 65%, and heavy 70% damage resistance. However, a tank in tank gear will be slow and more likely unable to beat the DPS race before the Sentinels respawn.
  • Stomping in the middle seems to be the only strategy that works, but it is difficult to hit all three at once, and when they attack with their AOE the player must move or quickly die to the damage.
  • If all are not killed quickly, the Sentinels do respawn and with full health.

Beating the Sentinels with 0, 1 or 2 Deaths

The Sentinels hit very hard. With three up, it is very likely the player will die before the third Sentinel goes down. So, given all that, beating the fight will probably go something like this:

1. Stand in the middle, focusing stomps with basic attack filler on one Sentinel. Run out of AOEs when they come. When the first Sentinel dies, switch to another. But, this time consider letting the player character die. The respawn timer has already started on the first Sentinel killed and unless you believe the remaining two can be taken before dying, don't bother. Here, tanks in DPS+Alacrity gear are more likely to succeed before running out of health.
  2. Revive by medical probe. Spam the Walker's heal while still stealthed to get health up as much as possible. The fight will resume with the player at about 85% health now facing two fully healed Sentinels. This is way better odds than when facing all three.
  3. Stand between the two remaining Sentinels and stomp. Both should go down at about the same time. The first Sentinel may respawn during this time. If so, the player character will likely die again, but now there are two Sentinels down, and only one up.
  4. Revive by medial probe again (beware the revive timer) and spam the heal until the fight resumes. Stomp down the remaining Sentinel before the other two respawn.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
When you watch vids they always have a companion healing, I have done this several times, no companion and alot of deaths. Seems it was glitched from October 2019 till now? Why do some get the companion and some not... I came out here to see the discussion. I will try what others have said about gear and the things to buy for walker. Its frustrating. looks so easy in the video. ... with a companion... wish they'd fix this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just encountered this bug after seeing Iokath for the first time. The funny thing is, I read about this bug a year ago, when I wasn't even playing. And they didn't fix it... I'm absolutely shocked and disgusted. I am not going to die 50 times trying to glitch-win a bugged fight. I am not going to spend hours grinding reputation to buy a buff for a bugged fight.

Every other fight in story mode is about 15% of the 'difficulty' of this fight. It's a bug. It must be. How could such a repellent issue be intentional? And yet, over a year later, it's still broken.

I'm so disappointed. I wanted to keep playing, I wanted to see all the story. Now I know my character can never progress further without grinding or glitching, nor any of my other characters, where is the motivation to keep playing?

I've already cancelled my subscription. The whole game has been ruined by this ridiculous bug. I'm very sad - it's too late to do anything about it. I'll always remember the sheer incredulity and disgust I had when I tried to kill the sentinels, and how it has tainted the experience forever.

Edited by Aeli

I just encountered this bug after seeing Iokath for the first time. The funny thing is, I read about this bug a year ago, when I wasn't even playing. And they didn't fix it... I'm absolutely shocked and disgusted. I am not going to die 50 times trying to glitch-win a bugged fight. I am not going to spend hours grinding reputation to buy a stupid buff for a bugged fight.

Every other fight in story mode is about 15% of the 'difficulty' of this fight. It's a bug. It must be. How could such a repellent issue be intentional? And yet, over a year later, it's still broken.

I'm so disappointed. I wanted to keep playing, I wanted to see all the story. Now I know my character can never progress further without grinding or glitching, nor any of my other characters, where is the motivation to keep playing?

I've already cancelled my subscription. The whole game has been ruined by this ridiculous bug. I'm very sad - it's too late to do anything about it. I'll always remember the sheer incredulity and disgust I had when I tried to kill the sentinels, and how it has tainted the experience forever.

The fight is still doable. Just need patience.It's just a hard fight.

My previous post was written in the moment of anguish, and disbelief. I will, after searching the web, attempt a few times to defeat this using the methods suggested. Because I love SWTOR so much.

However, all of these methods require some form of cheating the game; and that's why I'm upset: There should not be a bug like this in the game, and if it's not a bug, it's a virus implanted into the game by some form of psychopath. I cannot understand why they allow it to persist.

I mean, just imagine how many subscribers/players they must have lost due to this bug, with people just instantly saying, 'ehrm, what the heck, screw this'. I bet most people who encountered this would not go to the effort of writing something about it, they'd just leave and never return.

Edited by Aeli

My previous post was written in the moment of anguish, and disbelief. I will, after searching the web, attempt a few times to defeat this using the methods suggested. Because I love SWTOR so much.

However, all of these methods require some form of cheating the game; and that's why I'm upset: There should not be a bug like this in the game, and if it's not a bug, it's a virus implanted into the game by some form of psychopath. I cannot understand why they allow it to persist.

I mean, just imagine how many subscribers/players they must have lost due to this bug, with people just instantly saying, 'ehrm, what the heck, screw this'. I bet most people who encountered this would not go to the effort of writing something about it, they'd just leave and never return.

Kill 2, die, respawn and kill the third. Avoid red circles. Focus fire on one at a time using stomp and rockets. It's harder than other fights in the story-mode game, but this thread [and others like it] are hysterical overreactions. I literally did this a week ago using that strategy with a level 75 char, [irating 270] and had no problems.

I completed this two days ago without wiping. I used the dmg buff purchased from the faction reputation vendor. Can't recall the exact name, but was the red color coded walker dmg buff. Select the vendor and scroll down to find the available buffs. I too have wiped many times, previously, trying to complete the encounter without using 'other resources', but without success. Buff timer is 30 minutes, so plenty of time to complete the encounter. Hope it helps :):cool:.

I think they have fixed it. They made this fight much, much harder and I'm pretty sure this is intended.

Why would they intentionally make the game frustrating and not fun? If you're playing story mode you shouldn't die so easily. It rips you out of the story and the power fantasy you build in your head about your character. Story mode is meant for just enjoying the story not the challenge. Just my opinion, I think it would be pretty dumb for them to suddenly make the content very hard after allowing the player to breeze through the story without problems.

I've not quite reached the content yet, I did the first walker mission though at the start of the chapter, but creeping up to the problem missions now, not looking forward to it because I play the game to relax and enjoy a little story, not to get stuck and frustrated. I'd play Dark Souls if I wanted that.