Your PVP System is Broken and I Have Doubts it Can Be Fixed Even by the Devs

pyro_princess

Yes, it's one of those "I'm pulling my subscription" threads. But in this case, it's for good reason. When people buy and spend money into a game (which has become F2P, go figure), it should be expected that some quality control would be front and center. Unfortunately in SWTOR's case, EA just takes our money and tells us to screw off.

The PVP system is so badly broken and let me explain why:

- Operatives/Scoundrels dealing massive damage while healing for insane numbers and so much immunity.

- Sages/Sorcerer Healers are completely useless now due to the heavy nerfing they got in Onslaught's release. They just die in 5 hits, their immunity bubble is useless because if you're in the bubble, everyone around you is dying just as fast as you will be when you get out of it), and the insurmountable stun locks along with how many they can do before you become temporarily immune to them is ridiculous.

- Knights and Juggernauts doing 15-20m damage, just unbelievable.

- Bounty Hunters just able to instantly heal to full (Sages would love some Instant FULL HEAL abilities... FF14 anyone?).

I honestly think they're not even doing anything because they don't know WHAT to do. I don't even think the Devs believe they can fix it. And I think EA is simply not allowing them to fix the game, nor allowing them to number crunch the way Blizzard does with World of Warcraft.

Healers need FULL HEAL abilities, rapid regen abilities, and for God's sake, boost their Force Armor PLEASE! That ability is beyond useless!

Added to that, Tanks need to finally be able to actually tank by absorbing appropriate damage as per the damage output of the DPS now.

======================================

In short, the game is a total disaster, and I used to absolutely love PVP. I've been playing since 2012, put more than $10,000 into this game since then (Racking up hundreds of thousands of cartel coins, subscriptions, loot boxes, you name it), and I have never seen it this badly broken. It's very sad because I pay my subscriptions every month for almost 8 years (there was a short time I took a bit of a break), thinking I am at least doing something to help better the game; You know, like an investment! But I have serious doubts any of this can be fixed. I'm just not enjoying the game anymore. I am not leaving yet, but I won't put another dollar towards it again until serious consideration is taken on balancing the game.

Devs of SWTOR: You really need to number crunch, and give the healers not just their ability to heal properly again, but give them actual healing abilities to be proud of. If you're going to keep the DPS doing millions upon millions of damage, then you need to offset that by giving Healers synergy through rapid regen abilities (Simply look to MEDICA II spell for White Mages in FF14 and you will see what I mean, or BENEDICTION, or even the WoW Paladin's Full Heal abilities). Nerfing healers even more is not the answer. A healer dies in 6 hits now. I've seen it. I have 300k HP on my healer and she drops like a sack of potatoes, even with Force Armor, the defense Stim for PVP, and healing myself. I'm doing 9-10k heals while taking 30-40k damage with sometimes up to 70k+ per hit. It's unsustainable!

Edited by pyro_princess

I can haz your stuff? :) just kidding, there is quite a lot to it, ill try to be brief.

Unfortunately in SWTOR's case, EA just takes our money and tells us to screw off.

They are a private company, not charity, they do it for the money and a principle in business is to have little input and maximum output. How you do it is on you, some businesses really have to invest a lot to get profit, but some do not, like in case of swtor. It depends on the customer, what he is fine with. People in swtor seem to be fine with the game as there is still enough players to generate profit. Seems that the little changes we get suit us.

The PVP system is so badly broken

Yes, you are right about it and its something we all know, yet nothing changes, yet people keep playing. That means the Devs adapt to this. They do not grab the initiative to make proactive changes etc, cause they know there is no point. I myself wouldnt be able to proceed like this, but thats just me. My boss is exactly like EA so therefore I understand their way of thinking. Thats why I wouldnt be a good boss cause i would be spending way too much money on pleasing the customer, which in fact, is not necessary and company management wouldnt be happy with me.

There are a lot of things that bother people in PVP, just look at the threads, even now there was a thread about balancing by David, where we discussed the logic of it. We concluded that there is no logic. We know what needs to be changed, Bioware knows it, yet it does not happen. God knows why, must be some kind of plan for sure, but we have no idea of it.

put more than $10,000 into this game

Welcome to the club, I have spent way more on this game, yet I am still here. You also have to imagine that I pay sub even though I play only a few times a month, just for a few hours. I also see it as you that its an investment into the game which keeps the game going and makes sure there will be more and more additions to the game.

In short, the game is a total disaster

Its not a TOTAL disaster, but there are things that need changing for sure. The problem is how the game started off, that was a bad decission from start and ever since launch they have been trying to save the game to a point where they gave up. Now, under Keith its starting to look better and better. The Devs react more, they are more active, we have more employees on the forums, they listen to PTS feedback (at least more than they used to), we are getting interface additions, so there is much more progress then there was during Ben Irving times.

The game is not lost and wont die due to being Star Wars. There will always be people playing for the dress up, glowing sticks etc so I do not fear for the future of the game. The changes to PVP and PVE will come with time they just need to figure out how to do and the players need to voice their concerns like we do now.

Yes, it's one of those "I'm pulling my subscription" threads. But in this case, it's for good reason. When people buy and spend money into a game (which has become F2P, go figure), it should be expected that some quality control would be front and center. Unfortunately in SWTOR's case, EA just takes our money and tells us to screw off.

The PVP system is so badly broken and let me explain why:

- Operatives/Scoundrels dealing massive damage while healing for insane numbers and so much immunity.

- Sages/Sorcerer Healers are completely useless now due to the heavy nerfing they got in Onslaught's release. They just die in 5 hits, their immunity bubble is useless because if you're in the bubble, everyone around you is dying just as fast as you will be when you get out of it), and the insurmountable stun locks along with how many they can do before you become temporarily immune to them is ridiculous.

- Bounty Hunters just able to instantly heal to full (Sages would love some Instant FULL HEAL abilities... FF14 anyone?).

I honestly think they're not even doing anything because they don't know WHAT to do. I don't even think the Devs believe they can fix it. And I think EA is simply not allowing them to fix the game, nor allowing them to number crunch the way Blizzard does with World of Warcraft.

Healers need FULL HEAL abilities, rapid regen abilities, and for God's sake, boost their Force Armor PLEASE! That ability is beyond useless!

Added to that, Tanks need to finally be able to actually tank by absorbing appropriate damage as per the damage output of the DPS now.

======================================

In short, the game is a total disaster, and I used to absolutely love PVP. I've been playing since 2012, put more than $10,000 into this game since then (Racking up hundreds of thousands of cartel coins, subscriptions, loot boxes, you name it), and I have never seen it this badly broken. It's very sad because I pay my subscriptions every month for almost 8 years (there was a short time I took a bit of a break), thinking I am at least doing something to help better the game; You know, like an investment! But I have serious doubts any of this can be fixed. I'm just not enjoying the game anymore. I am not leaving yet, but I won't put another dollar towards it again until serious consideration is taken on balancing the game.

Devs of SWTOR: You really need to number crunch, and give the healers not just their ability to heal properly again, but give them actual healing abilities to be proud of. If you're going to keep the DPS doing millions upon millions of damage, then you need to offset that by giving Healers synergy through rapid regen abilities (Simply look to MEDICA II spell for White Mages in FF14 and you will see what I mean, or BENEDICTION, or even the WoW Paladin's Full Heal abilities). Nerfing healers even more is not the answer. A healer dies in 6 hits now. I've seen it. I have 300k HP on my healer and she drops like a sack of potatoes, even with Force Armor, the defense Stim for PVP, and healing myself. I'm doing 9-10k heals while taking 30-40k damage with sometimes up to 70k+ per hit. It's unsustainable!

Another l2p sorc crying thread. If you have issues on surviving at lightning sorc or doing damage on it then it is l2p issues. Decent lightning sorcs can both do big damage and survive. Operative can be killed in 2 stuns without breaker, with no vanish if oper is chased by at least 2 skilled players he is dead. And its hps can't go more than 3k hps which is low since dps mercs and sorcs can heal up to 4-5 k. Even dot sin can heal 4k hps with his self heal ability.

JUGGS die fast if not guarded and if they are bad at kiting and lossing (which are 80% of all juggs). Only force bound makes them overpowered which should be removed.

Mercs dps isn't high. Even free casting arsenal can do 7-8k dps while free casting lightning can do 9-10k dps.

ALL sounds like l2p issue because lightning sorc is among strongest specs in pvp now

Edited by omaan

Never mind the classes, that's something that usually never gets balanced; so if someone thinks that making PVP classes balanced will "fix it" (PVP). It won't.

Good players always adjust to over buffed classes. I've seen it time and time again. I been PVPing in a lot of different games for 11 years. There's always some type of imbalance so it's not gonna happen.

People complained for years about sorcs. Do you realize how ez it is to shut one down? They should have never been nerfed post 3.0

Rn people are complaining about ops; play a merc (adjust) net, stealth scan on top of them when you get their health low plus kiting will shut them down. I'm sorry but I'm not having issues with operatives, eventually they will get nerfed why even care about it lol

People won't adjust and learn a new class etc, and they complain. Problem is when 2-3 roll up on you and/or assassins you die in 2 seconds.

This is how pvp works; you adjust till it gets nerfed and the cycle repeats...this has played out in this game about 100 times already why are people still crying about classes LMAO. It is what it is deal with it.

Now it's ops etc. It's not ops; it's ops groups with 5 stealth classes that 2-3 of them pop out and global you if you are not hyperaware of what's going on.

You can't have a game where you can stack classes, especially stealth classes. It's ridiculous that it's even allowed.

Almost everything implemented is counterproductive, for example MOST of the people who are very good players don't do objectives. They don't care if they win. How can you possibly have correct matchmaking when most of the good players lose all the time. They are just there to e peen dps numbers so they can be worshiped ,have their azzes kissed and get chased around by the fools who pocket heal them LOL

Also, the WZ lockout has a parabolic effect because people still leave. The result is now the people who are in q will have to wait longer for a pop because there's too many people locked out or people just log off.

It's non sensical if you have any idea what pvp how pvp works in this game. Too many people locked out = less balance. Everything that gets done makes things worse LOOOOOOL

I don't get what's so hard about listening to a pvp community? and fixing it???? LOL

Edited by AocaVII

lol healing is still way too strong in this game, they don't need more buffs.

Are you willing to share your personal experience that makes you feel this way? I can bring down any good healer below 50% by myself, disrupting them from healing any group for too long. If they are bad, then I can easily solo drop them.

I am NOT advocating for a buff to healing btw or even a nerf to dps because we know one or the other will swing the pendulum too far in one direction. I just thought it's a bit ignorant to say healing is "way too strong" coming from someone who hasn't done it in quite some time. If you have the gear, give it a try now, I do not think you will believe healing is too strong.

Are you willing to share your personal experience that makes you feel this way? I can bring down any good healer below 50% by myself, disrupting them from healing any group for too long. If they are bad, then I can easily solo drop them.

I am NOT advocating for a buff to healing btw or even a nerf to dps because we know one or the other will swing the pendulum too far in one direction. I just thought it's a bit ignorant to say healing is "way too strong" coming from someone who hasn't done it in quite some time. If you have the gear, give it a try now, I do not think you will believe healing is too strong.

Tbh Healing is not strong rn. It's probably the weakest it's ever been. Problem is people don't interrupt, stun and can't dps. Then, they complain.

Heal plus guard is just is a huge issue that makes healing look OP that has been brought up hundreds of times up for 4 years to the DEVS and they never fix it LOOOOOOOOOOL. Heals, guard and bad dps; healer is never gonna die. It's the guard not the heals.

Rn ONE dps CAN kill a healer LOL, even a a good one or at the very least have them running around the whole match not healing anyone else.

ATM, I can heal more on a merc which has triple the armor and better dcds than a sorc LOL

Edited by AocaVII

Tbh Healing is not strong rn. It's probably the weakest it's ever been. Problem is people don't interrupt, stun and can't dps. Then, they complain.

Heal plus guard is just is a huge issue. Heals, guard and bad dps; healer is never gonna die. it's the guard not the heals.

Rn ONE dps CAN kill a healer LOL, even a a good one or at the very least have them running around the whole match not healing anyone else.

ATM, I can heal more on a merc which has triple the armor and better dcds than a sorc LOL

^

This right here. This explains the pain quite thoroughly. Thank you so much for commenting. He is right. I used to be a 12k-13k HPS healer, and now in a 4v4 arena I'm dead in 6 hits. I can't heal ANYBODY, hardly even myself. I can't heal while immune, my Force Armor is useless, and my one stun attack and my force lift I have just gets CC'd right away and I can't focus BOTH because the casting time is too long. By the time it's even at half, I've taken 150,000+ damage, which is half my health. There is absolutely no way a healer survives in a 4v4 arena. I've tried everything. I've tried Phase Walking to try and trick my opponent. I've tried running around. I've tried force speed (they just leap at me or pull me or stun me because apparently stuns have sizeable range now), and when ONE healing ability get interrupted, almost ALL of them do. Healer Sages/Sorcerers are just horrendous, and I have posted NUMEROUS SWTOR PVP Videos to showcase this on my youtube channel. You can't deny it because it's happening. I've got it recorded, almost 100 matches now! The PVP imbalance has gotten to a point where the damage is so extreme, healer numbers are not sufficient enough to cover even half the damage being dealt. If DPS are doing 15k-20k DPS (which yes, I have recorded where DPS are actually doing those kinds of numbers), then Healers need more mass healing abilities and instant-cast TO FULL HP, similar to the White Mages of FF14 and Paladins of World of Warcraft.

Edited by pyro_princess

Here, I will show you this!

https://i.imgur.com/SyE3OUH.png

NINETEEEN THOUSAND DPS!

Like... You can't say it doesn't happen!

And this isn't broken?? Are you kidding me?!

And if you look at the other numbers, I was the top healer of the match, and his damage ALONE eclipsed my healing by 200% !! That's not even including his teammates!

Edited by pyro_princess

Tbh Healing is not strong rn. It's probably the weakest it's ever been. Problem is people don't interrupt, stun and can't dps. Then, they complain. Heal plus guard is just stupid. I'm not even gonna comment on why that is even still going on.

I 100% agree with this. I was alluding to it in my post but didn't want to come across too direct because I want to know their experience why healing is too strong first. If I just hear I can't drop them, then you know what it is.

I can near solo any good healer now, it was not even possible in 5.0 without luck. As you said, it's a guard thing or poor dps. None of that concludes that healing is too strong.

I also want to add that this shouldn't be possible, but currently it's very doable. Why even heal if all it takes is one dps to take you out of the game?

I used to be a 12k-13k HPS healer, and now in a 4v4 arena I'm dead in 6 hits. I can't heal ANYBODY, hardly even myself. I can't heal while immune, my Force Armor is useless, and my one stun attack and my force lift I have just gets CC'd right away and I can't focus BOTH because the casting time is too long. By the time it's even at half, I've taken 150,000+ damage, which is half my health. There is absolutely no way a healer survives in a 4v4 arena. I've tried everything. I've tried Phase Walking to try and trick my opponent. I've tried running around. I've tried force speed (they just leap at me or pull me or stun me because apparently stuns have sizeable range now), and when ONE healing ability get interrupted, almost ALL of them do. Healer Sages/Sorcerers are just horrendous, and I have posted NUMEROUS SWTOR PVP Videos to showcase this on my youtube channel. You can't deny it because it's happening. I've got it recorded, almost 100 matches now! The PVP imbalance has gotten to a point where the damage is so extreme, healer numbers are not sufficient enough to cover even half the damage being dealt. If DPS are doing 15k-20k DPS (which yes, I have recorded where DPS are actually doing those kinds of numbers), then Healers need more mass healing abilities and instant-cast TO FULL HP, similar to the White Mages of FF14 and Paladins of World of Warcraft.

Willing to share your youtube channel? I want to watch them. I get if you rather not though.

Anyways, I do agree that healing in rank is in a worse spot than before. I made a thread discussing how hard it is to climb the ladder in solo for heals a month ago, mostly griping how it's too dependent on match making than skill.

I'm glad people are finally speaking up for healing though, previously it's been mostly healing is still too op. Think the 5.0 mindset was still there. Admittedly I do not want to go back there either.

Juggs doing 20mil damage? Damn, I’d like to see that one, lol.

Yeah, I call BS without more details. Match length/type for example. Anyone thinking juggs are op needs their brain examined. Get rid of force bound, whatever. Maybe then we can get a real antifocus anyway.

The only class that is legitimately blowing up a healer is AP PT. All the other burst classes vs healers the healers have more than enough utility to deal with even a 2v1 scenario. Of course if you get dog piled by 5 people without guard you're gonna die. With guard? You're probably fine.

Healing output is fine. Its utility that breaks them.

Here, I will show you this!

https://i.imgur.com/SyE3OUH.png

NINETEEEN THOUSAND DPS!

Like... You can't say it doesn't happen!

And this isn't broken?? Are you kidding me?!

And if you look at the other numbers, I was the top healer of the match, and his damage ALONE eclipsed my healing by 200% !! That's not even including his teammates!

Your team also had zero dps and 3 healers and their team was almost all stealth. That has nothing to do with healing, that's just the matchmaking not working.

Also, what was that guys killing blows? I bet it was zero or one. I 110% guarantee he was a leth op just throwing dot cleaves around. Lots of fluff damage and killing no one. His biggest hit being only 32k further attributes to that and your team having 3 healers gave him plenty of time to just have dots sitting on everyone. Give me enough fodder that lives just long enough for the dots to spread and for me to never die in a match? I can do that or close to that dps on any dot spec just by spamming dots and cleaving dots.

Edited by Raansu

Let's get down to the nuts (lol) and bolts here:

All being said, a healer can heal, SELF HEAL for maybe 9 k. Healing over 10k are aoe heals. If I can do 9 k on a merc DPS (all single target dps) where does that leave us? All the 20-15 k dps overall is not killing the healer because most of that dps is aoe/dot. I'm not concerned with that lol

Short bursts of dps, low TTK ( time to kill), and stuns---------------------> kill healers

It's more like this (this is the whole crux of it): Burst operatives, sins and pts do a lot of dps in a short time which you can't LOS; all single target. I would estimate in 10 seconds they could probably dish out close to 20k dps; that's just one player: a sorc healer can not self heal for 20k hps in 10 second bursts USUALLY and add stuns/ccs you're not healing for 20k hps if you're stunned for 3-5 seconds

There's a big difference between single target and aoe dps. Healers not gonna die from dps spamming aoes/dots LOL or shouldn't

I mean actually just today, I saw one of the best healers for a very long time who never dies or rarely does die, and when I was on a merc all he could do was LOS or he was dead in a few seconds.

The point isn't really 1 dps being able to kill a healer. It's that is much more possible right now. I mean have a op and sin and or pt pop out on you who are both good. You will be at 10% health pretty quickly, and not be able to heal anyone else but yourself.

Another thing is as I have said is balance in pvp if teams are balanced and people peel for the healer, it shouldn't happen. I have healed and dpsed since launch. I do notice a difference on healing sorc. Also, in dpsing I see a discrepancy.

Also, like I said I can heal for higher on a merc. A sorc mitigates 3x less damage than a merc so it needs more heals to compensate. It always has. If you put a few armor debuffs on a sorc, their armor rating is near 0.

Everyone will have their opinion but I know most people don't heal and dps in this game or if they do they can't do both well. IT'S RARE.

Not bragging so relax (it's to prove a point) I know the politically correct thing to do rn is to act humble when you're really not lol. However, I can put out max dps on most classes and heal for 13kish and yes for the first time in a while healing on sorc 1 dps can mess me up pretty good, maybe not kill me but for sure I'm shut down, and really can't heal anyone.

The real problems are very simple:

• Guard needs to be nerfed for pvp big time; that can make it seem that a healer can't be killed so people complain and they nerf heals where it should be the guard being nerfed

• Get rid of match making because most of the people who do 9k plus dps aren't doing any objectives to win; and lose quite often. They don't care if they win so as a result that will give them better players on their team so yes that's gonna hurt a healer on a bad team on the other team

• We have a large population that are awful at pvp IDK how you fix that LOL

• There shouldn't be 3-4 stealth on one team

• The sorc healing could be toned up a bit maybe 15-20%, only because they are in light armor and don't have the merc dcds/heavy armor. Op heals can not heal burst dps, usually. That's a problem in and of itself.

I mean personally IDC. I'll just adjust to which ever way works.

Edited by AocaVII

I 100% agree with this. I was alluding to it in my post but didn't want to come across too direct because I want to know their experience why healing is too strong first. If I just hear I can't drop them, then you know what it is.

I can near solo any good healer now, it was not even possible in 5.0 without luck. As you said, it's a guard thing or poor dps. None of that concludes that healing is too strong.

Yes as I said most people don't heal and dps well so how can they judge and provide validity.

Edited by AocaVII

The best thing Blizzard ever did and an idea that SWTOR needs to copy is making abilities function differently in pvp vs pve environments. In SWTOR, by the time abilities are balanced well for HM bosses, pvp is jacked; by the time they get the balancing half way banged together for pvp, in pve there's now a mandatory class and the other ones are trash. I get that it's twice as much work and balancing to do, but it would solve a lot of this "x is op/x is finally playable again" headache.

The best thing Blizzard ever did and an idea that SWTOR needs to copy is making abilities function differently in pvp vs pve environments. In SWTOR, by the time abilities are balanced well for HM bosses, pvp is jacked; by the time they get the balancing half way banged together for pvp, in pve there's now a mandatory class and the other ones are trash. I get that it's twice as much work and balancing to do, but it would solve a lot of this "x is op/x is finally playable again" headache.

It’s been suggested since launch. Keeps falling on deaf ears or lack of funding or some such reason BioWare will give you for not doing it even if it’s the most logical way to balance the classes.

The best thing Blizzard ever did and an idea that SWTOR needs to copy is making abilities function differently in pvp vs pve environments.

I have played both at the same time. It seemed, for a long time, that Bioware was in lockstep with Blizzard when it came to major decisions. Blizzard started with a talent tree...and so did Bioware. Blizzard moved from the tree to something like Utilities that Bioware uses (don't remember what they are called in wow), and Bioware followed. At some point resilience from wow pvp was no longer a thing. Sure enough, Bioware eliminated expertise.

I wish Bioware would follow Blizzard's lead on what you pointed out as well. That would be a godsend for balance.

I have played both at the same time. It seemed, for a long time, that Bioware was in lockstep with Blizzard when it came to major decisions. Blizzard started with a talent tree...and so did Bioware. Blizzard moved from the tree to something like Utilities that Bioware uses (don't remember what they are called in wow), and Bioware followed. At some point resilience from wow pvp was no longer a thing. Sure enough, Bioware eliminated expertise.

I wish Bioware would follow Blizzard's lead on what you pointed out as well. That would be a godsend for balance.

Wow consolidated their talent trees before SWTOR was released, so SWTOR was a bit behind but i get what you're saying, BW seemed to follow Blizzards steps. From what i hear, Blizzard are rolling back the level cap in Wow? not sure how true that is but it's interesting.

Wow consolidated their talent trees before SWTOR was released, so SWTOR was a bit behind but i get what you're saying, BW seemed to follow Blizzards steps. From what i hear, Blizzard are rolling back the level cap in Wow? not sure how true that is but it's interesting.

Those rumors have been circulating for awhile, and it's one of the reasons I left wow...there were other reasons. Anyway, dunno if it's true, but the information I heard was that they're rolling it back to 50 so people can level to 60. ugh. I am happy with SWTOR even with its flaws...but the separation of PvP balance from PvE balance would be very cool. Dunno if it's possible, though.

Edited by Sappharan

Yes, they are doing a level squish. The new cap will be 60 in the next expansion, so everyone is being brought down to level 50 in the pre-patch. Personally I think its a good thing. The current level cap is 120 and its ridiculous.

Oh my lord. I just remembered why I stopped looking at the forums. No wonder BioWare don't balance things correctly when they have to read stuff like this...

Operatives doing 19k in a reg with lethality literally means nothing, it's an AoE spread spec. They don't have much immunity with this because the dodge roll comes from concealment which does about 7-10k dps in comparison depending on the player.

If ur dying in 5 hits as a sorc healer ur doing something wrong.

Juggs in vengeance with a good stack are going to do 15mill damage in regs because it's another AoE cleave spec. Yet it's pretty easy to burn through all of their dcd's since juggs are generally just on the weak side compared to every other class in the game.

Mercs have heals to full yes and is generally the easiest class to hit dcd's on, but sorcs literally have 2 escapes, a phasewalk and a barrier (which can both be used while stunned) not to mention stun bubble, DR and DR while in stun.

You are right about the fact there's a lot of issues but these ain't it chief.

Dot specs are about a strategy of stressing the healers, forcing them into an endurance game and negating heal over time maintenance.

IDEALLY the role of a dot spec is to make the burst specs in the team more effective on target switches. Their original target still has dots rolling, the new target has dots rolling, is the healer going to save the new burst target or is the lethality operative going to culling shot the original target to death