Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question from a noob #2

TzeenchConundrum
02.18.2019 , 04:09 PM | #1
Guys, need help. I have some items with that orange shield sign on them which has no stats and of very low lvl. Plus I've seen those items from cartel market are sold by this way. The question is: is there any way I can upgrade them to my lvl or smth like that?

JLazarillo
02.18.2019 , 04:16 PM | #2
The "orange shield" icon, if I'm assuming which one you're referring to correctly, means that the item is bound to your legacy. This means that you can not sell or trade it to another player, but you can pass it to another of your own characters and they can use it (assuming they meet any prerequisites that the gear might have as well).

As you noted, these items are very weak at their baseline, but can be upgraded with various mods, enhancements, and armorings (for armors) or hilts or barrels (for weapons). Doing this will raise the prerequisite level to use the item, but can upgrade it more or less indefinitely. You can craft your own upgrades (with which ones depending on what crafting skills you use), obtain them from other players/GTN, or buy them from vendors that are in the Supplies quad of your fleet.

Khaleg
02.19.2019 , 01:37 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TzeenchConundrum View Post
Guys, need help. I have some items with that orange shield sign on them which has no stats and of very low lvl. Plus I've seen those items from cartel market are sold by this way. The question is: is there any way I can upgrade them to my lvl or smth like that?
These are just armor shells, in this case legacy armor shells as the prior poster has already explained.
Shells is also what you find in the Cartel Market. "Bling Bling" without stats so to say.
These need to be filled with armorings, mods, enhancements, augments, hilts and barrels to actually have any stats.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

Lundorff
02.19.2019 , 02:52 AM | #4
There are several vendors at fleet that sells inexpensive armor, mods, enhancements, barrels and hilts based on your level. Even now, 7 years later, this is still my preferred method of upgrading gear while leveling a new character.

TzeenchConundrum
02.19.2019 , 03:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleg View Post
These are just armor shells, in this case legacy armor shells as the prior poster has already explanined.
Shells is also what you find in the Cartel Market. "Bling Bling" without stats so to say.
These need to be filled with armorings, mods, enhancements, augments, hilts and barrels to actually have any stats.
So I gotta have high crafting lvl in order to be able to put good augs in such items so they fit my own lvl proper?

SteveTheCynic
02.19.2019 , 04:06 AM | #6
So I gotta have high crafting lvl in order to be able to put good augs in such items so they fit my own lvl proper?
Not necessarily you. *Someone* has to have top-tier crafting to be able to craft top-tier augments, but it doesn't have to be you because they are not bound until you install them in gear. That means that the crafter can trade them to you or sell them on the GTN. It's essential that they are tradable because no one crafting skill can craft all the interesting ones, especially for 236 and 240 augments.

And for most purposes, except for things like high-tier ranked PvP and Master Mode Gods / Mountain Queen, augments are not necessary, never mind top-tier ones. Purple-228 rated augments (craftable with "ordinary" materials) are sufficient for almost everything, especially for content released before 5.10.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Khaleg
02.19.2019 , 04:17 AM | #7
Armorings, mods, enhancements, barrels and hilts are also availble from vendors on the fleet (green ones). Better ones are availbale from crafters on the GTN in case you can't craft yourself. As well as from command crates up to 248 rating (in very rare cases also 252 now but I yet have to see it myself), most times already inside a shell. The latter ones also have a class specific set bonus on them (the set bonus is connected with the armoring).
Augments are also available on the GTN, up to rating 240. Or from crafting with armortech, armstech or synthweaving.
Nal'augh, guild master "The Conqueror Fleet" - Tulak Hord
Do you want 7 free days of subscription and other freebies? Click here!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/doubleudude

Lammia
02.19.2019 , 07:48 AM | #8
Here, a friend just posted a blog about the basics of the gearing: https://fibrojedi.me.uk/swtor/gearin...self-in-swtor/

"Where Can You Get Moddable Gear?" section specifically applies to your question. I hope it helps.
My Art
FIX MALAVAI QUINN CUSTOMISATION IN IOKATH!
This is not the referral you're looking for