Returning Player With some Questions

Phraq

After playing wow on and off for the year (been playing since vanilla), I decided its time to finally hang it up, and get back to Star Wars. I played a bit last year but would like to get into the Endgame finally, so I am starting from scratch. Originally I wanted to tank but keep seeing how bad it is to just start of tanking in this game, so I rolled a sniper but am curious what rolls are overplayed and what is needed. I have never played anything past Veteran flashpoints, but I am sticking around this time so looking for some tips. Also, do Crew Skills matter for endgame?

There's always a need for tanks, so if you have experience as a tank and you remember the fights (or know how to use YouTube effectively) then that's a great option.

However, leveling can take a bit longer as a tank, at least until you hit lvl 70 and can start queueing for Master Mode flashpoints. A while back, the devs nerfed tank damage.

Fortunately, now you can set your loot discipline (once you hit level 75 though). That means you can play through all your favorite content as a DPS spec while still grabbing your tank gear. Alternatively, you can run in tank spec but focusing on mostly DPS gear. However, I wouldn't recommend this for PVE. It works for PVP though.

To set your loot discipline, just right click on your character portrait and choose the discipline you want to get gear for.

You can also do the same for healers. There are more healers than tanks, but if you like support, it's a good way to get into story mode operations.

Finally, if you want to dps for a while to get used to the mechanics before going tank, it's pretty easy to get into SM Operations even as DPS. I would recommend getting into a good guild above everything. If you need help with that, and you're on Satele Shan, let me know.

Welcome back!

Also, do Crew Skills matter for endgame?

Crafting as a whole is virtually useless as of 6.0 (at least the new stuff). The only real reason to level these professions to max is to craft dyes as artifice (you really don't need to go past 600 honestly), or get augment slot components as one of the other crafters and make MK 11s.

As for the tanking, the main thing I kept seeing that it is pointless to queue as a tank in Veteran FPs until after 50?

It's generally pointless (or at least nearly so) to queue as a tank in Veteran FPs at *any* level, because they are the post-5.0 equivalent of 4.X's "Tactical" FPs, which inherited "no trinity needed" from Kuat Drive Yards.

As for the tanking, the main thing I kept seeing that it is pointless to queue as a tank in Veteran FPs until after 50?

The main problem I can see with tanking in random GF VM FPs below level 50 (or even 50+) is that, since VM's are not role specific, other players are less likely to let you actually "be the tank". That is, they (including me :o ) are likely to attack mobs and bosses without waiting for the tank. That makes it a bit harder to "practice" proper skills.

If you want to develop your tanking (or healing) skills in a proper manner, doing FPs with a Guild (or buddy) group is preferred.

Lol - ninja'd by Steve.

Edited by JediQuaker