SWTOR terms i do not understand

AdornedBlood

Hi. I have some trouble understanding some terms I've seen on this forum, can you please help me? Thank you!

"don" as in don the legendary armor of Darth *insert name here*

"retcon"

"ship" as in " I always ship X and Y characters"

TY again.

When someone says to don on an armor, it just means you get to wear a replica of a famous character

ret·con

/ˈretkän/Submit

noun

(in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

"we're given a retcon for Wilf's absence from Donna's wedding in ‘The Runaway Bride’: he had Spanish Flu"

verb

revise (an aspect of a fictional work) retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events.

"I think fans get more upset when characters act blatantly out of established type, or when things get retconned"

when you send a package by mail you're shipping an item

hope that clears up some of the consfusion

"don" as in don the legendary armor of Darth *insert name here*

"Don" is a perfectly ordinary English word, and has no special link to SWTOR.

It means (as a verb) no more and no less than "put on" or "get dressed in" in the context of clothing:

"I will don the legendary armour of Darth Sion" is exactly equivalent to "I will put on the legendary armour of Darth Sion".

As a noun, it is a Britishism for a university professor, almost always of Oxford or Cambridge.

EDIT: I *could* say that I will don my jacket to go out, but it would be grotesquely pretentious to do so.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

ret·con

/ˈretkän/Submit

noun

(in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

"we're given a retcon for Wilf's absence from Donna's wedding in ‘The Runaway Bride’: he had Spanish Flu"

verb

revise (an aspect of a fictional work) retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events.

"I think fans get more upset when characters act blatantly out of established type, or when things get retconned"

Heh, I didn't think retcon was an actual work, i thought it was just short for retroactive consistency.

I know what it meant, but idk why we keep using this dumb term. It must be something similar to cofeve.

When Tait Watson worked with the team he used to write up the patch notes. He often misstyped "patch" as "ptach" and he was the first "Lord Ptach." Now, it is applied to Musco since Musco inherited Tait's job.

It's just a joke.

When Tait Watson worked with the team he used to write up the patch notes. He often misstyped "patch" as "ptach" and he was the first "Lord Ptach." Now, it is applied to Musco since Musco inherited Tait's job.

It's just a joke.

Good to know. I barely remember Tait, didnt follow the forum very regularly back then.

"Don" is a perfectly ordinary English word, and has no special link to SWTOR.

It means (as a verb) no more and no less than "put on" or "get dressed in" in the context of clothing:

"I will don the legendary armour of Darth Sion" is exactly equivalent to "I will put on the legendary armour of Darth Sion".

As a noun, it is a Britishism for a university professor, almost always of Oxford or Cambridge.

EDIT: I *could* say that I will don my jacket to go out, but it would be grotesquely pretentious to do so.

I've studied English in school since fifth grade and never ever saw the word "don" anywhere but on the SWTOR forum. Or maybe I just didn't payed any attention to it? Truth be told, I tend to ignore pretentious words and expressions - did the same while watching TFA ( aka Hux's speech and the use of words like " loathsome" & " acquiescence" )

I've studied English in school since fifth grade and never ever saw the word "don" anywhere but on the SWTOR forum. Or maybe I just didn't payed any attention to it? Truth be told, I tend to ignore pretentious words and expressions - did the same while watching TFA ( aka Hux's speech and the use of words like " loathsome" & " acquiescence" )

I suppose it's all about what you're exposed to.

For example, some people don't know that "quaff" means "to drink", but those people never played Rogue in the 80s ...

:cool:

Edited by Khevar

Have you ever heard the lyrics to the christmas song Deck the Halls?

( aka Hux's speech and the use of words like " loathsome" & " acquiescence" )

Useful words, both of them. If I had to pick one of the two two to describe as pretentious, it would be "loathsome", but even that's a marginal case. Expressing the idea of acquiescence in a single word is fairly difficult if you don't use that word - it captures a sort of supine acceptance of something the person probably shouldn't accept.

I describe "don" as pretentious in the sentence "I will don my jacket" because it implies that my jacket is on the same level as formal academic robes or a soldier's dress uniform or something like that, rather than a rather scruffy and faded denim jobbie.

Expressing the idea of acquiescence in a single word is fairly difficult if you don't use that word - it captures a sort of supine acceptance of something the person probably shouldn't accept.

Truth be told, I have never heard the word " acquiescence" before watching TFA and had a hard time understanding its meaning. Thank you for helping me solve this :)