Suggestion to fix very serious continuity errors.

El_tres

The continuity errors in this game really takes the joy of playing in the Starwars universe.. I will list the most pressing of these issues that really make it hard for me to play.

1. Extreme environment planets.

I am walking around Quesh and Hoth without any visible survival equipment, I could run around those planets naked and it still would not effect me.

I propose a simple fix to this. Create another slot on your character sheets for the player and the companions.. this slot is used for equipment skin customizations, basically making the skin of your equipment look like survival gear. One of Bioware's current titles, Dragon Age Legends, already has this technology and it is already used on the companions.. Gift players their survival skin customization gear which has a stat that negates damage when on the appropriate exteme planet, when they arrive at the new planet.. and allow players to buy further customizations through the various armor/commendation vendors on the planet.. If a player does not wear any survival gear on the extreme planet make them take exhaustion zone damage.

On only slightly toxic and other extreme worlds perhaps the gear would not be needed but players could get diseased or take damage if exposed.. such as toxic pools or lava.. etc.

2. No solar or lunar cycle on any planets. The other very serious continuity error that I am aware of in this game is that there is never any movement of the planet around their various sun or suns as the case maybe on Tatooine.. there is never any night or day.. it is always the same time on these planets.. Please create a Solar and lunar cycle on these planets.. a simple fix would be a lighting dimmer code and the suns revolving around the zones.. though the various moons should also revolve as well. We know from the movies that some of these planets have daytimes similiar to Earth. Though undoubtably they wouldnt be exactly the same due to size of the planets or moons etc.

There are many other continuity errors in this game that I have observed but they are not as serious as these two thing.. they are priority fixes and very simple fixes imo.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. I cannot play a game for very long that has such obvious continuity errors.

Well this is story based MMO dude, dont expect to many technical small thingies in there.

Day / Night cycle?

Well yeah, but I would prefer not to go around with a flashlight looking for that one mob I am missing for the quest.

Also, I bet everyone would have a nice lagspikes and FPS drops when first light shows.

About Quesh, they give you the thingy required to breath there on start, just before you board the shuttle from orbital station - unless you have been skipping conversations and didnt notice that part.

I feel sorry for you, but its good as it is now.

These things I listed are continuity errors because in the movies and the other Starwars content available it has already been established that equipment was needed on harsh climate planets.. AND that there was night and day on many of these planets.. like Hoth and Tatooine..

Thus, YES they are continuity errors.

The devs have already said (though I cannot link it because of the forum wipe) that there will not be a day/night cycle because each planet was specifically designed to give a certain look / feel / experience. Changing the lighting would detract from all of that. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it was the explanation given.

These things I listed are continuity errors because in the movies and the other Starwars content available it has already been established that equipment was needed on harsh climate planets.. AND that there was night and day on many of these planets.. like Hoth and Tatooine..

Thus, YES they are continuity errors.

They aren't continuity errors, they are design decisions.

A Continuity errors are like this: We can visit a planet called Hoth, a world that was not named until 2,000 years later.

or

The Hutt homeworld being named incorrectly Hutta when it's actually Nal Hutta ("Glorious Jewel.")

I can understand Hutta, I believe the codex entry for it even does mention that it's properly called Nal Hutta. Think of it like Vegas, (not everyone calls it Los Vegas)

Hoth on the other hand bugs me a bit. I don't really have a problem with the circumstances of being there, but existing lore seemed to suggest the planet was named after General Hoth who fought in the battles of Ruusan near the end of the New Sith Wars.

This could have been resolved if they had just named the world something else, or in fact, not even bothered to name it. Give it some code name corresponding to it's sector, but have NPC's speak of how it's such an insignificant world that it had no need for a proper designation. Nobody is expecting to stay there, they're just there for salvage. Better yet, have republic, empire, chiss, and pirates all have a different name for it. The lore and galaxy map could still say Hoth (as everyone knows that's what it will become), but don't have the NPCs speak it.

Hoth on the other hand bugs me a bit. I don't really have a problem with the circumstances of being there, but existing lore seemed to suggest the planet was named after General Hoth who fought in the battles of Ruusan near the end of the New Sith Wars.

Actually, according to "Tales of the Jedi" (released in 94), the planet was named Hoth about a thousand years before TOR takes place.

Additionally, Drew Karpyshyn said on the Beta forums (now wiped) that, to his knowledge, there is no in-universe connection between the two. He has further speculated that Macan (original creator of the character of General Hoth) intended the name to represent the character's cold, grim demeanor.

Edit: Found the Google Cache of Karpyshyn's post.

Edited by DarthDemens

A continuity error is how Thanaton attempts to kill my SI in his office but after I run back to my own ship, everyone is talking about how they pulled me out of a ditch in a comatose state.

THAT has been bugging the ever living hell out of me.

A broken suspension of disbelief is how I'm running around Hoth with my midriff exposed and none the worse for it.

Difference.

A continuity error is how Thanaton attempts to kill my SI in his office but after I run back to my own ship, everyone is talking about how they pulled me out of a ditch in a comatose state.

THAT has been bugging the ever living hell out of me.

A broken suspension of disbelief is how I'm running around Hoth with my midriff exposed and none the worse for it.

Difference.

To me they both sound like technical limitations and/or design decisions that you just have to imagine around. Either issue could have been removed with enough man-hours thrown at it, but I would bet that both were considered too expensive for the gain.

Actually, according to "Tales of the Jedi" (released in 94), the planet was named Hoth about a thousand years before TOR takes place.

Additionally, Drew Karpyshyn said on the Beta forums (now wiped) that, to his knowledge, there is no in-universe connection between the two. He has further speculated that Macan (original creator of the character of General Hoth) intended the name to represent the character's cold, grim demeanor.

Edit: Found the Google Cache of Karpyshyn's post.

Ah, thank you for that.

That is pure continuity error.

Maybe they're speaking metaphorically? You know, like a "pulled your *** out of the fire" thing?

Thank you to those that have contributed other continuity errors... many of the continuity errors that I have percieved have been the "easter egg" type Bullcrap that they throw in just for fun.

It's fine to have an easter egg from time to time, but when you throw them all on the ground and don't hide them it is no longer a hunt and takes much of the fun out of it.

I was watching Empire Strikes Back today, I had always wondered how they had a huge Ion cannon on the planet and it makes sense that there was an abandoned Sith or Republic empire base there long before the Rebels got there.. but that does not explain why the planet is completely devoid of life.. many times in the dialog of ESB it mentioned that there were no lifeforms showing up at all. It is obvious that Tauntauns and the Snow monster were native to the planet.. but why would the planet have so many settlements and forms of life on it in SWTOR.. I suppose it could be explained as going through a rather harsh ice age, dependant on the orbit of the planet from the Hoth system sun.. In ESB it was mentioned in the dialog that the planet was the "6th planet in the Hoth system" so it would have a rather erratic orbit if you compare it to our outer planets. But that does not explain why there is never any night.

the lack of a day/night cycle isn't a continuity error. Just because whenever your character is running around it is daytime does not mean that you're supposed to assume that the planet has no day/night cycle. (In fact, I'm pretty sure some of the NPCs do make references to night time, what have you.)

Having it mechanically be day time whenever your character and the NPCs are out and about and doing stuff due to a design decision is no more a continuity error than the fact that there are unclimbable rock piles that aren't very high .

If there was a day/night cycle you could complain about the "continuity error" of no one ever sleeping, or that you didn't think the day/night cycle was right in ratio of game time to real life time, or that quests took too many/too few days for realism, or that they should make space travel take longer to be more in line with established continuity.

And I hate to sound indelicate, but... where do you go to go?

On Coruscant there is an entire mini-quest devoted to your character fixing the waste disposal system, but nowhere is there a restroom to visit. (Admittedly I have only gotten to Taris but I have my doubts one will appear in future planets).

It may sound perverse but I think it would be amusing beyond measure to be able to take down an enemy while they are... busy, especially if it is a named enemy at the end of a quest line. Such an ignoble end to one of the Empire's best! (Or Republic, take your pick.)

Anyway, talk of continuity errors brought this to mind (also admittedly the lack of facilities is not a continuity error, just an aesthetic choice!)

Thank you to those that have contributed other continuity errors... many of the continuity errors that I have percieved have been the "easter egg" type Bullcrap that they throw in just for fun.

It's fine to have an easter egg from time to time, but when you throw them all on the ground and don't hide them it is no longer a hunt and takes much of the fun out of it.

I was watching Empire Strikes Back today, I had always wondered how they had a huge Ion cannon on the planet and it makes sense that there was an abandoned Sith or Republic empire base there long before the Rebels got there.. but that does not explain why the planet is completely devoid of life.. many times in the dialog of ESB it mentioned that there were no lifeforms showing up at all. It is obvious that Tauntauns and the Snow monster were native to the planet.. but why would the planet have so many settlements and forms of life on it in SWTOR.. I suppose it could be explained as going through a rather harsh ice age, dependant on the orbit of the planet from the Hoth system sun.. In ESB it was mentioned in the dialog that the planet was the "6th planet in the Hoth system" so it would have a rather erratic orbit if you compare it to our outer planets. But that does not explain why there is never any night.

ESB is over 3,000 years later. It's not unreasonable that in that timeframe, everyone who "lived" on Hoth left. There's nothing of value there, so there isn't a reason to stay on it.

And I hate to sound indelicate, but... where do you go to go?

On Coruscant there is an entire mini-quest devoted to your character fixing the waste disposal system, but nowhere is there a restroom to visit. (Admittedly I have only gotten to Taris but I have my doubts one will appear in future planets).

It may sound perverse but I think it would be amusing beyond measure to be able to take down an enemy while they are... busy, especially if it is a named enemy at the end of a quest line. Such an ignoble end to one of the Empire's best! (Or Republic, take your pick.)

Anyway, talk of continuity errors brought this to mind (also admittedly the lack of facilities is not a continuity error, just an aesthetic choice!)

Obviously from the movies and other content, the humans of this galaxy dont have sphincters ;)

1) This is a suggestion we've been making for a long time. It's more commonly referred to as an "Appearance tab". Being able to skin over your armor.

Unfortunately, BW thought they had a better idea with moddable equipment... well, that just isn't the case. While moddable equipment does give some freedom of customization, it's not nearly enough.

On this point, I agree with you.

2) I don't really agree with you here. The static day/night feature is there specifically to enhance the "mood" of the planet. Nar Shadda is a seedy, corrupt world... as such, it's always night there. Similar to Gotham City in Batman comics.

Coruscant, on the other hand, has been hit hard and is trying to recover. It's always dusk there because it's "on the brink" of collapse. It's possible it's in it's twilight times. Conversely, it could be interpreted that it's dawn, and that it's "on the rise" from the ashes. Really depends if you're a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" sort of person.

Anyway, back to the point: There is a stylistic reason for the static times. Adding a day/night cycle would counter-mind that. Also, in all other MMOs I've played, there hasn't really been a reason for the day/night. The most I've ever seen is that undead come out at night.