Outraged! - chapter 2 spoilers right after Taris...

ejadavidson

I did NOT see this coming! So Banim, my loyal and patriotic agent, was rewarded for his daring deeds--which, I need not remind you, had other imperials running away for a clean pair of underwear--by setting him up to have his memory wiped! :eek: And the Republic are supposed to be the bad guys?!:mad:

I totally understand why Arden did what he did. He *had* to do that if he was any kind of SIS agent worth his pay. After all, he has to be suspicious of an Imperial Cipher agent, no less, falling into his lap ready to defect. I mean, come on... I'd be suspicous, too. A cipher agent is just too good of a prize. Arden didn't get where he is by being stupid and my agent realizes that. So what Arden did was expected. He took precautions. In Arden's shoes my agent would have done the same thing.

However, what the empire did to someone who was loyal, was patriot, was willing multiple times to lay his life on the line, THAT is completely inexcusable. Notice how I said *was* patriotic, *was* loyal. Who really is the enemy now?

My agent is now a man without a country, without friends except those on board his ship and some of those are highly suspect.

Kudos to the person who wrote this story. The best story hands down.

Edited by ejadavidson

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to the realization that the sith are without honor. When playing my jedi, I did come across a few that had honor, and they ended up with the republic. :rolleyes: But really, The sith in general are a sociopathic bunch of murderous idiots. If they would get their collective sh*t together, they'd probably rule the universe, but they can't for all the infighting and back biting.

Thats exactly what happend to my agent, he lost all faith in the empire. Became something of a vigilanty, think Garrus, out to prevent the war from restarting and kill as many sith as possible along the way. Nothing more satisfying than the slight shink as a vibroknife penetrates the supposedly untouchable throat of an egominaical sith and the slight flicker of your stealth generator as he falls to bleed into the ground and you vanish back into the shadow. (/rp off). I totally agree though, agent has the best story in the game by far.

Oh yea, killing the sith has become quite the pleasure. I went back to Taris to finish up some missions and really enjoyed killing Thana. What a psycho... the world is a better place without her. I just regret having to kill that jedi champion.

if you...

...don't kill or ask the the Jedi SIS type on Quesh to surrender, you can get the option at the end of Chapter 3 to defect to the Republic.

I was gutted, as I asked him to surrender thinking it would be the *better* choice.

if you...

...don't kill or ask the the Jedi SIS type on Quesh to surrender, you can get the option at the end of Chapter 3 to defect to the Republic.

I was gutted, as I asked him to surrender thinking it would be the *better* choice.

Yup. And if you keep the codex at the end (and throw yourself at Hunter like there's no tomorrow *sigh*), there are some hints that you may be part of the Star Cabal 2.0, which has this overwhelming desire to kill *all* Jedi and Sith. Really only one agent ending (to me) seems like it's siding with the Sith.

I've come to the realization that the sith are without honor. When playing my jedi, I did come across a few that had honor, and they ended up with the republic. :rolleyes:But really, The sith in general are a sociopathic bunch of murderous idiots. If they would get their collective sh*t together, they'd probably rule the universe, but they can't for all the infighting and back biting.

Don't get me wrong. I play both sides, but the exact same thing can be said of Jedi. No matter how much you attempt to reason with them, be you sith or any other Imperial aligned species, they flaunt their self righteous attitudes and always attack. If anything, this makes Jedi the greater evil because of their hypocrisy.

I've come to the realization that the sith are without honor. When playing my jedi, I did come across a few that had honor, and they ended up with the republic. :rolleyes: But really, The sith in general are a sociopathic bunch of murderous idiots. If they would get their collective sh*t together, they'd probably rule the universe, but they can't for all the infighting and back biting.

Welcome to what the Force-blinds of the Empire deal with every day. I love, love, love that we get to play this perspective.

The Empire is presented as having a stronger military and a much, much better intelligence network. And more aggression, more arrogance, more everything, compared to the Republic. But they have too many leaders and most of the leaders are, in fact, sociopathic idiots. I like that that's the one thing holding them back from galactic domination.

As for your other point,

the brainwashing thing? I can see the Council coming down hard on the guy who defied Jadus (or assisted Jadus in a power play of breathtaking scale). Again, Sith politics would gladly put a loyal but inconvenient person through the shredder. My conclusion from this was actually that Keeper/the Minister of Intelligence remains the most ****** man in the game. He spends Act 1 trying to shield his people from the whims of the Sith, then sticks his neck out to make a way to save your life. The Dark Council said you had to die, and this one guy said "No, let's do this instead." And it worked. And because of it, you're still alive.

Don't get me wrong. I play both sides, but the exact same thing can be said of Jedi. No matter how much you attempt to reason with them, be you sith or any other Imperial aligned species, they flaunt their self righteous attitudes and always attack. If anything, this makes Jedi the greater evil because of their hypocrisy.

That is certainly how my agent felt by the end of Chapter 2.

She hated them far more than the Sith, regardless of who was responsible ultimately for what had been done to her, because of the hypocrisy. The Star Cabal, in its original intent, at least, was right - both the Sith and the Jedi were nothing short of disastrous for everyone else.

I did NOT see this coming! So Banim, my loyal and patriotic agent, was rewarded for his daring deeds--which, I need not remind you, had other imperials running away for a clean pair of underwear--by setting him up to have his memory wiped! :eek: And the Republic are supposed to be the bad guys?!:mad:

I totally understand why Arden did what he did. He *had* to do that if he was any kind of SIS agent worth his pay. After all, he has to be suspicious of an Imperial Cipher agent, no less, falling into his lap ready to defect. I mean, come on... I'd be suspicous, too. A cipher agent is just too good of a prize. Arden didn't get where he is by being stupid and my agent realizes that. So what Arden did was expected. He took precautions. In Arden's shoes my agent would have done the same thing.

However, what the empire did to someone who was loyal, was patriot, was willing multiple times to lay his life on the line, THAT is completely inexcusable. Notice how I said *was* patriotic, *was* loyal. Who really is the enemy now?

My agent is now a man without a country, without friends except those on board his ship and some of those are highly suspect.

Kudos to the person who wrote this story. The best story hands down.

Technically, you should have put most of that into a spoiler to keep others who aren't there from seeing it and ruining the story (I've finished my story so nothing against me).

But honestly, are you really surprised? Look at it like this: Ep 4-6 are about an angry pissy Sith that is leading an empire of his making because he wants supreme power. Ep 1-3 are about the building of that empire because of his desire ofr supreme power. Chapter 1 of the IA story is all about one gigantic douchy Sith hell bent on getting people to follow him because he desires power and will destory those that don't follow him. He is following a Sith Emporor who brought the Sith back because of his desire for power. And the Dark Council are all *****ign with each other because of their desire for power.

Essentially, you get screwed because of greedy assbags that are afraid of what you are and what you might do. You are pretty much the NOT-crazy version of Watcher X. If not for the Minister, you'd be in a cell or dead.

As for your other point,

the brainwashing thing? I can see the Council coming down hard on the guy who defied Jadus (or assisted Jadus in a power play of breathtaking scale). Again, Sith politics would gladly put a loyal but inconvenient person through the shredder. My conclusion from this was actually that Keeper/the Minister of Intelligence remains the most ****** man in the game. He spends Act 1 trying to shield his people from the whims of the Sith, then sticks his neck out to make a way to save your life. The Dark Council said you had to die, and this one guy said "No, let's do this instead." And it worked. And because of it, you're still alive.

That was my feeling. By the end of the game, I was pretty freaking amazed by everything that the Minister had managed to pull. Yeah, he didn't win. But he got pretty amazingly far for someone who's only real ability is his political maneuvering and smarts. (I mean, no force lightning there at all!)

The only other group that came even close (or, to be honest, did as well) in my opinion was the Star Cabal. I mean, the fact that they managed to cause a massive war that may still take out all the Jedi and Sith with nothing more than a small group of people and some clever intel gathering (and spreading) is pretty freaking amazing.

The Jedi and Sith can blow up on exploding space ships, for all I care.

There was one line at the end of chapter three that really seemed to stand out...

The part where you reach the codex; and hunter is just about to fight you and says, "Why!? Why did you have to be Imperial!?"

I just wanted to stop; and ask, "Why does that matter?"

Hell I like what they were trying to do, and I think with someone of the agent's caliber on board they would have been able to meet their goal with far less corrupted methods. Or at the very least; have Hunter join on as a bonus companion or something.

I mean I had suspected something was up with Hunter from about half way through; those half flirtatious lines left and right... we'll just say the the 'big surprise' wasn't actually that surprising.

It gives me a major batman vibe (rogue ending here). I think I'm going to start running around the galaxy shouting; "MYKEEEPERISDEAD." in a low, garbled bat-man voice. :p (because I'm fairly sure poor Keeper (Minister) is not going to make it out of failing the council again.)

I think I'm going to start running around the galaxy shouting; "MYKEEEPERISDEAD." in a low, garbled bat-man voice. :p (because I'm fairly sure poor Keeper (Minister) is not going to make it out of failing the council again.)

lmao! What a fantastic image!

Some days you can play the campy Adam West Cipher. And some days you can go all Frank Miller and be the g*****n Cipher.

My KEEPER is DEAD!

There was one line at the end of chapter three that really seemed to stand out...

The part where you reach the codex; and hunter is just about to fight you and says, "Why!? Why did you have to be Imperial!?"

Hell I like what they were trying to do, and I think with someone of the agent's caliber on board they would have been able to meet their goal with far less corrupted methods. Or at the very least; have Hunter join on as a bonus companion or something.

I mean I had suspected something was up with Hunter from about half way through; those half flirtatious lines left and right... we'll just say the the 'big surprise' wasn't actually that surprising.

Yeah, that made me mad. Because, hi, see the blue skin? Not that Imperial, thanks.

And the surprise? Would have just made it that much easier to take him with you and keep him hidden. My only real problem with that was the way it made the end of the scene play out differently for my husband's male agent - my female agent wasn't able to get that kind of closure, and she was much closer to Hunter than he was. Honestly, though, it is probably just as well that you didn't get to take him with you - it would have ruined my Agent's life without a doubt. (Not that she sees it that way. *mourn*)

Edited by Celacia

So much spoiler, spoiler everywhere!

Yeah, that made me mad. Because, hi, see the blue skin? Not that Imperial, thanks.

And the surprise? Would have just made it that much easier to take him with you and keep him hidden. My only real problem with that was the way it made the end of the scene play out differently for my husband's male agent - my female agent wasn't able to get that kind of closure, and she was much closer to Hunter than he was. Honestly, though, it is probably just as well that you didn't get to take him with you - it would have ruined my Agent's life without a doubt. (Not that she sees it that way. *mourn*)

Being almost completely light the entire game... (minus the most ... disturbingly delicious darkside points for killing that damned-able jedi...) I didn't actually take the 'closure' option with hunter. I went with the medpak route, heck I am medicine spec. Call it niche, but I was really hoping for the, "I understand why you did what you did; but accept that you read me wrong. I have a kolto tank back on my ship; *offer hand* Second chance?"

As the ... bat-agent-man... er... Dark-agent-Knight? I'll think of something better later... *ahem*

But as the rogue what-ever-the-heck; It hurts my agent more to lose people. Especially people like Hunter. Its a tragic story; grabbed up as a kid, raised on nothing but series of ever growing lies, haunted by the ever growing conflict between psudo-demi-gods... then this agent comes along. You're unbreakable, unkillable, unstoppable; a bit jaded? Sure. A bit shaken? Ohhh yes. But essentially a sheltered island in the middle of a galactic hurricane; you are the embodiment of the strength the people need.

I see the war erupting all over, I see others like myself caught in it.

Chance? Saber & Wheel? Hunter? All these 'caught in the fray' characters; I just want to be able to tell them:

Get behind me, we'll make it.

But I rant; so many memorable characters, so many left over feelings / thoughts.

10 - out of god damned - 10, amazing story; would read again. Well done BW.

So much spoiler, spoiler everywhere!

Being almost completely light the entire game... (minus the most ... disturbingly delicious darkside points for killing that damned-able jedi...) I didn't actually take the 'closure' option with hunter. I went with the medpak route, heck I am medicine spec. Call it niche, but I was really hoping for the, "I understand why you did what you did; but accept that you read me wrong. I have a kolto tank back on my ship; *offer hand* Second chance?"

But I rant; so many memorable characters, so many left over feelings / thoughts.

10 - out of gosh darned - 10, amazing story; would read again. Well done BW.

My agent would have done literally anything to keep him alive at that point. (See near-ish the end of the chapter 3 section here for why. (Apologies, the writing is sketchy towards the end.))

And yes, best story ever.

Edited by Celacia

And the surprise? Would have just made it that much easier to take him with you and keep him hidden. My only real problem with that was the way it made the end of the scene play out differently for my husband's male agent - my female agent wasn't able to get that kind of closure, and she was much closer to Hunter than he was. Honestly, though, it is probably just as well that you didn't get to take him with you - it would have ruined my Agent's life without a doubt.

It is so weird reading how Hunter played out for others. Honestly, I was iffy in his first scene and got to actively hating him not long after that. I hated him as a human being. I hated him as a spy. I hated him as a ringmaster for his great shadowy circus that was using all the wrong methods to achieve their goals. Even as I came closer to agreeing with some of the Cabal's hopes, I hated Hunter with every step, and during the final reveal I told her I had no sympathy for a freak like her. I would've shot her myself if she hadn't activated her shock thingy first. Her last words before goodbye were "That's what I like about you. Your warmth of spirit." It is so very odd to think that some people had an emotional rapport with her.

I chose the option to erase my existence and be my OWN agent to do whatever the **** I want. My crew were ALL happy with that for some reason. Even Vector. But now I got my wish and I'm free. No one knows I even exist anymore.

It is so weird reading how Hunter played out for others. Honestly, I was iffy in his first scene and got to actively hating him not long after that. I hated him as a human being. I hated him as a spy. I hated him as a ringmaster for his great shadowy circus that was using all the wrong methods to achieve their goals. Even as I came closer to agreeing with some of the Cabal's hopes, I hated Hunter with every step, and during the final reveal I told her I had no sympathy for a freak like her. I would've shot her myself if she hadn't activated her shock thingy first. Her last words before goodbye were "That's what I like about you. Your warmth of spirit." It is so very odd to think that some people had an emotional rapport with her.

I agree. My agent gave him a hard time in every conversation they had. And in the end

when he/she said, "yeah but we sure had fun didn't we." I wanted to respond, "You are one sick puppy if you think all that was 'fun'." He was arrogant, self-righteous, and took a sadistic pleasure in bossing my agent around. He had her tortured in what had to be one of the most disturbing scenes in the game. Yikes, those sound effects hurt. And he made poor Vector watch. :eek:

I agree. My agent gave him a hard time in every conversation they had. And in the end

when he/she said, "yeah but we sure had fun didn't we." I wanted to respond, "You are one sick puppy if you think all that was 'fun'." He was arrogant, self-righteous, and took a sadistic pleasure in bossing my agent around. He had her tortured in what had to be one of the most disturbing scenes in the game. Yikes, those sound effects hurt. And he made poor Vector watch. :eek:

They did - I flinched every time they hit her, and that scene was awful. I was emotionally involved enough at that point that it made me feel ill, and I had a small panic attack when they took Vector away.

She had flirted with Hunter the whole time, because that is how she deals with people - in her mind, if someone is attracted to her she has at least some small measure of power over them, and with him she needed every advantage she could get. She found the change in the tone of his later conversations with her to be puzzling, but it didn't change how she felt towards him - and Livia (and I) hated Hunter, couldn't wait to kill him, right up until that last conversation.

And then he asked her if they hadn't had fun, and she said, not so much with all the brainwashing and torture, and he told her she was a liar, and that she had loved it, and it was like someone had kicked me in the stomach. The weight of all their interactions - all that cat-and-mousing back and forth, all the flirting, his strange flashes of honesty and vulnerability in their later conversations, everything - just came crashing down on me (and on her) all at once. I felt sick and panicky. (So did she.) Hate and love can be so similar. He was her other half. He was everything. It was horrifying, this last, extra deep twist of the knife. It was eviscerating. All the twists and shocks and harrowing choices and traumatic experiences and this was the thing that undid me. Hunter's secret hardly even registered. Who cared? It didn't matter. It would make it easier to hide him.

It was too late for her not to finish her job - there they were, and she had finally won. But it almost didn't matter to her anymore - suddenly she would have given anything to save him and keep him with her. She would have walked away from Vector, with whom she was quite in love by this point, without a second thought. She probably would have shot him, if it would have meant saving Hunter. She hated herself for it. She couldn't help it. She could barely keep on her feet because she was reeling so badly internally. Thank god she didn't have the chance to save him. Deciding to die instead of letting her save him may have been the only truly good thing that Hunter ever did for anyone. Her life would have been utterly destroyed if he had survived. She would have been utterly destroyed if he had survived.

As it stands, I don't know how it will affect things for her (as those of you who read my head canon post already know, I haven't really gotten that far in my detailed sorting out of her story). It may end up costing her anyway - Vector is not unobservant. She may have trouble dealing with hurting him like that. I don't really know yet.

I was ashamed to tell my husband about it. That is how badly it upset me. I couldn't deny it though, even to myself, because it felt true.

Edited by Celacia

Since I just finished this.. I'm going to head canon

Hunter as the only person who really understood my male IA and now that she's dead... well he'll just spend the rest of his life never actually committing to anyone. This works really well considering that I haven't actually done finished any of the romance with either Kaliyo or Temple.

Frakk, now I want to re-roll and do this whole story over again and record the cutscenes so I remember what the heck my character says. *sigh*

I felt the same way. I heard from other friends that Hunter was flirting heavily with their male agents and was like, "Well...he is a little odd. Maybe they're trying to make him really flamboyantl? Except that really, he's coming off more like he's a girl. Oh well. All writing/voice acting can't be perfect." There was a major "Oh, duh" moment at the end.

I do think that a Hunter/agent team could accomplish a lot. But I can also see why the Star Cabal wouldn't trust the agent. (Although at the bitter end, I felt like there was no reason *not* to try. Then again, by the bitter end, Hunter is pretty well surrounded and probably doomed no matter what you do.)

To me, it was a really sad ending. I'd finally figured out what the "bad guys" were up to and was like..."Oh, I actually approve of that. Oh, well, there goes that. You're all dead now. And I have no idea what you wanted me to do."

She had flirted with Hunter the whole time, because that is how she deals with people - in her mind, if someone is attracted to her she has at least some small measure of power over them, and with him she needed every advantage she could get. She found the change in the tone of his later conversations with her to be puzzling, but it didn't change how she felt towards him - and Livia (and I) hated Hunter, couldn't wait to kill him, right up until that last conversation.

I was ashamed to tell my husband about it. That is how badly it upset me. I couldn't deny it though, even to myself, because it felt true.

I'm trimming for space, but yeah...

I had problems with Hunter from the end of Act 2. There were a lot of signs that the character was one sick puppy (like the flirting with Temple just to tell me to kill her a second later). But that whole line about "sweet nothings" was so sick. (Esp. as I'd flirted with Hunter - so it was like..."You didn't want this when it was consensual, but now...?")

Still, I flirted with Hunter after that, as it seemed like the best way of collecting information. (I mean, hanging up isn't going to get me the intel I need, now is it?) But it felt so...wrong. Like, here I'm flirting with someone who wants to violate my character in the worst possible ways. (Not to mention the utterly painful torture scene.) And it utterly creeped me out to get those little flashes of a vulnerable Hunter, and as the story went on, I became nearly 100% certain that my character was madly, passionately, crazily in love with this person. (Against anyone's better judgement.) It was utterly twisted and really sick. But that's definitely how it felt from the dialogue, voice acting, etc.

But at the same time, it was impossible for me *not* to agree with Hunter's goals once I heard them. And Hunter is special - she's probably the smartest character you run into, she's brilliant and beautiful and absolutely fascinating. It would be amazing to save the good parts of Hunter and heal the parts that are broken. (Although I suspect that would be close to impossible to do.) I can't help but think that a somewhat less twisted Hunter and the agent might well be able to achieve the ultimate goal - get rid of the Force users and create a world that's more equitable. Not that this will ever happen, but hey...

But, yeah, really engrossing narrative.