Mercenary Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Let's talk about what Spoils of War has in store for the Mercenary! Below you will find the Mercenary's new ability, the set bonuses that are planned for them, and a list of their new Tactical items. You may see bonuses which refer to charges. We are introducing new tech in Onslaught which will allow abilities to have multiple charges, meaning you can use them more then once (per charge) and the cooldown will simply add a charge up to the maximum.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change

New Ability - In lieu of a new ability, Mercenaries will now have two charges on Rocket Out

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

• Critical Charge - (4) Gaining a stack of Supercharge increases your critical chance by 10% for 10 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds. (6) Doing damage or healing an ally has a 5% chance to build a Supercharge and can only happen once per 3 seconds.
  • Power Step - (4) Activating Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan increases the critical chance of your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times. - (6) Power Shot, Tracer Missile and Rapid Scan grant a stack of Power Step, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan is more effective and costs no Heat.
  • Surging Power - (4) Power Surge grant Precision Targeting, increases armor penetration by 10% for 6 seconds. This effect cannot occur more than once peryh minute. (6) Power Surge gets an additional charge
  • Technical Medic - (4) Onboard AED becomes instant-cast. (6) Chaff Flare heals all allies around you.

Tactical Items

This a new item slot coming in Onslaught. You can only wear one Tactical Item at a time.

Mercenary

• Cool Your Jets - Rocket Out vents 20 heat and immobilzes enemies around you for 1 second.
  • Jettison - Jet Boost increases your movement speed by 50% for 3 seconds. For each enemy you hit with Jet Boost the cooldown of Hydraulic Overrides reduced by 3 seconds.
  • Missile Back - Missile Blast knocks its target back and refunds some heat.
  • Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown.

Arsenal

• Hot Shot - Fusion Missile spreads Heat Signature. Heatseeker Missiles fire additional missiles to nearby targets affected by Heat Signature.
  • Priming Bolts - Dealing damage with Blazing Bolts increases the damage of your next Priming Shot, stacking up to 8 times to 100%.
  • Burning Shot - Priming Shot causes its target to burn. Blazing Bolts, Heatseeker Missiles, and Tracer Missile all tick its damage.

Innovative Ordnance

• Sweeping Carnage - Sweeping Blasters and Death From Above refresh and tick your Incendiary Missile burn and Serrated Shot bleed. This effect can only occur once every 2.5 seconds.
  • Magnetic Trigger - Explosive Dart now remains dormant on the target for 12 seconds. Mag Shot detonates it, dealing double its standard damage to the primary target.
  • Energzier - The duration of Supercharge Gas and Supercharged Burn are doubled.

Bodyguard

• Supercharged Burst - Kolto Missile grants a stack of Supercharge Gas for each target it hits. Supercharged Gas heals all nearby allies for the same amount as Kolto Missile's initial heal when activated. Kolto Missile's cooldown is extended by 4 seconds.
  • Alacrity Scan - Rapid Scan can be cast while moving and heals an additional 10%.
  • Kolto Time - Kolto Shot applies a lingering heal over time effect to its target.

As a note, if you are a Commando player, you can expect to see these set bonuses mirrored for you as well, they are still in process.

Let us know your thoughts! Here are the types of feedback we are looking for. XX seems too strong or too weak. XX Set Bonus combined with XX Tactical seems too strong or too weak. I wish there was a Set Bonus or Tactical that had a specific effect or modified a specific ability not listed. Be as specific as possible in your feedback.

-eric

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Merc main since beta thru good and bad, Im actually ok with this.

We didn't need anything else, you could argue we got a bonus last time in some ways, these should even the playing field, and i for one thing the added mobility would be a godsend with all the leaps and gap closers PvP wise.

How the cooldowns work will determine the reality of it of course and thats not listed.

I'd rather have a second charge for Heatseaker missles or Death from Above than Rocket out...

IDK i mean you say that now, but a lot of new gap closers coming, we might be better off. Were fine rotationally and that would cause heat issues unless it was free then were OP again and im kinda tired of that song.

Hey folks,

New Ability - In lieu of a new ability, Mercenaries will now have two charges on Rocket Out

-eric

..............really? I'm sure this is probably useful in PVP, but completely worthless in PVE/OPs. How about a new offensive ability like some of the other classes, or something to help mitigate the heat we'll be creating with all these new power surge/no CD bonuses?

Considering Arsenal is in dead last place when it comes to DPS parsing over long PVE OPs boss fights, the new no CD/Power Surge abilities look tasty...... but I'm already dreading the heat nightmare it's going to create. How about something besides 1 Tracer after 5 stacks vents no heat?

Can't wait to get on PTS and tear into these sets!

Yeah, ist sounds very sad how you wrote it, Eric, but as some before, I am ok with it. We don't need another def (Power Yield was datamined as Bounty Hunter Ability). And with the tweaking of the Supercharge, we don't need an offensive CD either. I really like how these set Bonuses and Tacticals sound! I think, that you need two sets for IO and Arsenal, but hey, that's fine, as long as Arsenal get's a Buff to be a viable DD spec in more PvE Encounters.

I think it is really important that you included Death from Above in the Sweeping Carnage Tactical.

So, just by reading it, good job!!! (PvE Opinion)

I like the idea of 2 charges on rocket out, hot bars are already cluttered up enough, but can it be changed to travel in the direction the character is moving? And by that I mean not like the operative roll where it goes in the the direction of the camera, but if you're walking backwards, go back. That way you can keep sight picture and still have the directional mobility.

Set Bonuses

• Critical Charge - (4) Gaining a stack of Supercharge increases your critical chance by 10% for 10 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 10 seconds. (6) Doing damage or healing an ally has a 5% chance to build a Supercharge and can only happen once per 3 seconds.
  • Power Step - (4) Activating Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan increases the critical chance of your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times. - (6) Power Shot, Tracer Missile and Rapid Scan grant a stack of Power Step, stacking up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, your next Power Shot, Tracer Missile or Rapid Scan is more effective and costs no Heat.

Tactical Items

Mercenary

• Cool Your Jets - Rocket Out vents 20 heat and immobilzes enemies around you for 1 second.
  • Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown.

Bodyguard

• Supercharged Burst - Kolto Missile grants a stack of Supercharge Gas for each target it hits. Supercharged Gas heals all nearby allies for the same amount as Kolto Missile's initial heal when activated. Kolto Missile's cooldown is extended by 4 seconds.
  • Alacrity Scan - Rapid Scan can be cast while moving and heals an additional 10%.
  • Kolto Time - Kolto Shot applies a lingering heal over time effect to its target.

Loving these Set Bonuses and Tactical items. Can't wait to test them out! Bring up the PTS already! :D

As for the lack of new Ability, meh. It really doesn't bother me at all. Besides having 2 charges to Rocket Out is gonna be fun in PvP. :)

..............really? I'm sure this is probably useful in PVP, but completely worthless in PVE/OPs. How about a new offensive ability like some of the other classes, or something to help mitigate the heat we'll be creating with all these new power surge/no CD bonuses?

Considering Arsenal is in dead last place when it comes to DPS parsing over long PVE OPs boss fights, the new no CD/Power Surge abilities look tasty...... but I'm already dreading the heat nightmare it's going to create. How about something besides 1 Tracer after 5 stacks vents no heat?

Can't wait to get on PTS and tear into these sets!

I disagree, easy escape routes and movement is never a bad thing in either case.

Well this is cool, jet out was already a solid ability and one that worked more times than not.

Is there any chance with changes to this, we could also look at mad dash, holotraverse and phantomstride?

I feel like all of these movement abilities should purge roots without utility. There's definitely a difference between them all and how useful they are and how well that actually work.

Power Cycle - When you use an ability with Power Surge, that ability is not put on cooldown.

Okay, I hope this doesn't include Concussion missile. I'm going to assume it's also only for channeled abilities, if so the only problem I see is Concussion missile.

Other than that, will be happy to see how the changes play out. I see jetout being really strong against melee however.

I disagree, easy escape routes and movement is never a bad thing in either case.

Agree to disagree.

For PVE, there's never a time as an Arsenal Merc that you absolutely need to rocket out 40m. If you NEED more than 20m, you're doing something wrong.

It's not bad, it's just almost everyone else actually gets an offensive boost in some way, or an ability they've never had. Sure, it can be used, but it feels like we're settling for less here.

Edited by Randor

Agree to disagree.

For PVE, there's never a time as an Arsenal Merc that you absolutely need to rocket out 40m. If you NEED more than 20m, you're doing something wrong.

It's not bad, it's just almost everyone else actually gets an offensive boost in some way, or an ability they've never had. Sure, it can be used, but it feels like we're settling for less here.

Youre correct on the distance, i just mean that having in the back pocket is never a bad thing when needed.

Youre correct on the distance, i just mean that having in the back pocket is never a bad thing when needed.

Oh you're right, it's definitely not a bad thing to have..... but when you compare to what the other disciplines are getting, I really feel we're getting the short end of the stick here.

As someone that complains all the time about ability bloat I'm not going to complain about the lack of a new ability, but two charges on Rocket Out is just puzzling. Currently on Live my Rocket Out has a 17 second cooldown, when will you ever need to use it twice in PVE within 17 seconds? As for PVP, the Smoke Scren utility states "these effects cannot occur more than once every 40 seconds" combined with the fact that Rocket Out doesn't purge movement impairing effects - how effective is that second rocket out going to be?

I can understand not wanting to add another ability or another DCD, but this is just a permanent not-so-useful tactical. The least they could have done is had an Improved Explosive Dart, one that doesn't knockback, maybe does more damage and stuns a strong as well as standard or weak. You know - something to help PVE adds at least, but won't affect PVP, doesn't make the merc more OP, and really doesn't affect OPs. As of 5.10 Arsenal was dead last in DPS, 10% behind the top class. Considering the self heals, DCDs, etc I get they don't want it to even be in the top 5, but it seems like maybe a minor bump in a DPS ability would have been better than a two-charge Rocket Out.

And if their goal was to improve mobility, wouldn't a two charge Hydraulic Overrides be better? Or one with a higher speed boost, longer duration and/or shorter cooldown? This "new ability" just seems confusing and off to me.

I can also tell already that I would rather have sweeping blasters spread the heat signature rather than fusion missile, even if it took a tactical to do this and even if this was banned in PVP.

Still, I am also eager to test out Bounty Hunter on PTS and try various set bonus/tacticals. So it's not all bad.

Just my two cents...

Edited by dracmor
Correcting skill name

Madness sorcs will literally never use volt rush if it goes live as it is now. So at least mercs have something that all specs can make use of.

Oh you're right, it's definitely not a bad thing to have..... but when you compare to what the other disciplines are getting, I really feel we're getting the short end of the stick here.

Perhaps, but i think we got the long end last time, and were not getting nerfed to the stone age, so ill take it as a win win.