Pvp help in WZ's

Quor

Backstory: I took a long break for life reasons and I came back about a month ago. I made ky way to 55 and have slowly been gearing up, both for pvp and pve.

I had a few games last night that really shattered my confidence. Basically, what can a typical pvp specced Veng Jugg do against a Gunslinger? That roll of theirs is insane. Do I just play the LoS game until a friendly comes along and 2v1?

Also, who was the idiot that made Hold The Line a standard Trooper skill? And what do I do against that? Hell, just bring me up to speed on how to deal with any non-Warrior/Knight class. I was still able to deal with Sents and Guardians ok at least.

I've got maybe half the pvp gear I could have so I know that's an issue too, but I used to be able to overcome some of that gap with skill. But it didn't feel that way yesterday.

Thanks in advance guys!

If you have any old PVP gear that still has a hint of expertise, take that off, bolster takes whatever gear that has expertise in it, and does not bolster that piece, so BM gear pretty much hurts you.

Saber reflect/saber ward is the best defense against snipers (though engineering snipers are a bit tougher to deal with. If you're rage spec it's a bit easier because you can obliterate them even when they're in cover. The best thing to do is jump on them while they're not in cover, lots of snipers are dumb enough to move out of cover, but it is also situational on their part. You'll also want to watch if they have entrench active, if they don't force choke them out of cover, right away. Immortal juggurnauts can really be a bane against some snipers.

As for hold the line, using force choke is your best counter. It lasts 6 seconds for them (unless specced for a longer variation).

However, in the end, it's just knowing how to fight other classes. Since you've taken a long break, it's just a matter of practice. Plus with Enraged defense, you can get that extra time to really muck the others up.

If you have the time, I'd suggest playing/understanding the other classes to know how to counter them better.

To deal with stealthers is also using saber ward/saber reflect. The really bad ones forget to stun you more, and continue to attack, so they end up taking a lot of reflected damage. The better ones time their CCs better, and you may have to use your stun break then use saber reflect to prevent any further damage.

Sorcs/sages, you just need to keep on a leash, slowing them down, rooting them etc.

Edited by MasterFeign

If you have any old PVP gear that still has a hint of expertise, take that off, bolster takes whatever gear that has expertise in it, and does not bolster that piece, so BM gear pretty much hurts you.

Saber reflect/saber ward is the best defense against snipers (though engineering snipers are a bit tougher to deal with. If you're rage spec it's a bit easier because you can obliterate them even when they're in cover. The best thing to do is jump on them while they're not in cover, lots of snipers are dumb enough to move out of cover, but it is also situational on their part. You'll also want to watch if they have entrench active, if they don't force choke them out of cover, right away. Immortal juggurnauts can really be a bane against some snipers.

As for hold the line, using force choke is your best counter. It lasts 6 seconds for them (unless specced for a longer variation).

However, in the end, it's just knowing how to fight other classes. Since you've taken a long break, it's just a matter of practice. Plus with Enraged defense, you can get that extra time to really muck the others up.

If you have the time, I'd suggest playing/understanding the other classes to know how to counter them better.

To deal with stealthers is also using saber ward/saber reflect. The really bad ones forget to stun you more, and continue to attack, so they end up taking a lot of reflected damage. The better ones time their CCs better, and you may have to use your stun break then use saber reflect to prevent any further damage.

Sorcs/sages, you just need to keep on a leash, slowing them down, rooting them etc.

Thanks for the suggestions Feign. I ditched all my other pvp gear already, so it's just a matter of building up my current pvp set. Does level 55 pvp gear suffer like the old stuff does? Or does bolster work with it?

Also, how to counter that roll that Smugglers and Agents have? They seem to roll farther distances than I can jump, and I've had a few arenas where I've watched them roll up onto something like they had Force Charge. Had a Scoundrel Backblast me for nearly 6k earlier, just by running circles around me and (I assume) spamming the button until she convinced the server she was behind me. Chilling Scream seems to get wiped a lot easier now. Any suggestions on dealing with that? Just reapply it more often?

I've had some success vs. Commando's with properly timed Saber Reflect, but Vanguards still give me a lot of trouble. PT's and VG's were always BS, and I see that the changes made to Rail Shot/High Impact Bolt haven't really done anything to tone the class down. I managed to win one fight thanks again to Saber Reflect, but man it seems close; if I don't SR at the right time, or if it's down when I need it, then I'm done, other CD's be damned. I'm guessing the main gap is gear still, as I only have level 55 pvp pieces in my weapon, chest, head, legs and belt slots.

Thanks for the suggestions Feign. I ditched all my other pvp gear already, so it's just a matter of building up my current pvp set. Does level 55 pvp gear suffer like the old stuff does? Or does bolster work with it?

Also, how to counter that roll that Smugglers and Agents have? They seem to roll farther distances than I can jump, and I've had a few arenas where I've watched them roll up onto something like they had Force Charge. Had a Scoundrel Backblast me for nearly 6k earlier, just by running circles around me and (I assume) spamming the button until she convinced the server she was behind me. Chilling Scream seems to get wiped a lot easier now. Any suggestions on dealing with that? Just reapply it more often?

I've had some success vs. Commando's with properly timed Saber Reflect, but Vanguards still give me a lot of trouble. PT's and VG's were always BS, and I see that the changes made to Rail Shot/High Impact Bolt haven't really done anything to tone the class down. I managed to win one fight thanks again to Saber Reflect, but man it seems close; if I don't SR at the right time, or if it's down when I need it, then I'm done, other CD's be damned. I'm guessing the main gap is gear still, as I only have level 55 pvp pieces in my weapon, chest, head, legs and belt slots.

With the new pvp gear, as long as you don't pull out its mods and replace it with pve mods, it'll work just fine. Once you'll get to 2018 expertise, you won't feel as squishy. According to the devs though, the current pvp gear bolsters your gear to a higher level then 158s/162s or something to that effect anyway.

The middle tree on scoundrels/operatives have a 50% chance to not be slowed, when using exfiltrate (their roll). If you do use chilling scream on them before this, it's pretty amusing to see them roll a very small amount. Sometimes what I've done is when they're trying to create space, I might strafe away from them, because my force charge is up again. Since I'm in vigilance spec, I'd have "unstoppable" up again, as I try to use "unstoppable" as much as I can. Also some people spec into the longer root on force charge, some people don't. What's great about it (even the regular one), is that you have two of them, in the vengence tree, you have the regular one, and the one to do with ravage. So if they've just used their stun break, using ravage, will lock them up again, without penalty to resolve. Also you want to try to use all 3 ticks of ravage, not just skipping out on the last one as I have seen plenty of people doing. Fighting against scoundrels/operatives is also just a matter of playing the CD game, of best knowing when and what CD to use. The combination of force push and force charge (with unstoppable) gives juggs that extra close gap and control within the fight.

You can tell the good from the bad operatives/scoundrels, if they make use of sever tendon/tendon blast, this is a slow in the heal and shared tree, but also a root in the concealment/scrapper tree that lasts 2 seconds, and they use for part of their rotation at the beginning after they hit you in the back.

With PTs/VGs, they just got a damage boost cause they weren't performing as well until 2.8. They're fight is indeed tough and sometimes it just has to do with CDs and whoever crits most. Perhaps their toughest ability is adredaline rush/kolto overload. Unless if they are getting a ton of dps pressure, they're generally unkillable in that phase. 8 seconds is a long time for that to be up as well, and the best thing you can do in that time is CC them with whatever means necessary, even if that means using force push to get them away from you. Though getting a saber reflect on their railshot is very satisfying. Your best bet against them is watching your debuffs. Most PTs/VGs will apply their 2 dots on you, but will also apply some delayed explosions too, timing their railshot at the same time, so that it would appear you got attacked with a huge amount of burst - again it's still a bit of a CD thing. Also vengence gets 15% more speed while in combat, so chasing those that aren't easily rooted, isn't as bad.

Another good tactic I use is when I have endure pain active, that is when I try to use my medpack (as well as using intercede for the 8% heal from the bonus in the gear). It heals you a bit more than usual. And I'd do the same thing for "enraged defense" as well. The percentages account for the new amount of health you have, even if it's temporary.

If your facing a Gunslinger as Vengeance, Reflect, Choke Em, Push Em, Saber Throw > Leap to them, Ravage. If they arent dead, you did something wrong. :cool:

If your facing an Assault Commando or Vanguard as Vengeance. Reflect High Impact Bolt, Force Push > ST > FC > Ravage. They should be dead, if they arent you did something wrong. :cool:

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR