Mr. Stephen Reid: Please show this to BioWare and ask them to explain it?

Proto

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eu0tFcZM6w&feature=related

and on the BioWare website:

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/trooper-progression

This and dozens of other "actual gameplay" videos endorsed by BioWare that were released prior to the game's launch that showed high-fidelity, quality rendering of the game engine are nowhere to be seen. As a matter of fact, I recall your PR post that said:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1478869#edit1478869

"In summary; yes, we had a small UI bug that unfortunately caused confusion over how the game is intended to work. The textures you're seeing in the course of normal gameplay are optimized for that mode of play. The textures you're seeing during cinematics are also optimized for that mode of play. They are higher resolution, but that's because we're able to control cinematic scenes to ensure good performance in a way we can't during normal gameplay."

I'd like to know (now that the NDA and beta are long gone) how I was able to play your game using high-res textures for nearly 5 months in beta along with thousands of others - with zero issues? I have the distinct feeling that the powers that be (not of your doing) are not being forthcoming in telling us what really happened and what the developers are going to do to solve it ASAP? I'm upset because I am not getting what was marketed and what I paid for coming into this release.

I would appreciate an answer. Thanks for putting up with so much backlash, I realize it must be a hellish job right about now. We just want real answers and solutions.

Edited by Proto

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They explained it. The Hero engine and their coding was not up to the task of leaving the high res textures in (general gameplay) for launch.

They tried to hide the fact (bug in the UI), got caught (bug in the UI LOL see this SS), did damage control (will have "higher fidelity" in 1.2) and bought some time.

Edited by Pyrolight

I'm genuinely curious - what are you not getting that was advertised?

Hi-rez textures advertised in trailers. It's been proven with evidence that the BETA allowed for higher resolution textures compared to the ones we have now, they suddenly were just taken out of the game in the transition between BETA and retail, no real statement was given.

They told you what happened. You quoted the very post where he told you what happened. Just because you want to believe there is something more to it that "really" happened doesn't mean they didn't tell you what happened.

To reiterate, you already know what happened.

I'm genuinely curious - what are you not getting that was advertised?

Just take a look at the video linked on Youtube which was released originally by Bioware prior to release. Fast forward to about 1:10. You'll see how defined and sharp the texture looks for the Bounty Hunter armor. You'll never see this sort of clarity in gameplay with what you bought from Bioware, what you "expected" to get. Instead, we are forced to see the game at medium texture only, and the only time you truly get to enjoy your character's detail is during a cutscene.

This was not the case in beta, I assure you. Something happened along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eu0tFcZM6w&feature=related

This and dozens of other "actual gameplay" videos endorsed by BioWare that were released prior to the game's launch that showed high-fidelity, quality rendering of the game engine are nowhere to be seen (just look at 1:10 in the video for real clarity of how bad it is on live). As a matter of fact, I recall your PR post that said:

I'd like to know (now that the NDA and beta are long gone) how I was able to play your game using high-res textures for months in beta along with thousands of others - with zero issues? I have the distinct feeling that the powers that be (not of your doing) are not being forthcoming in telling us what really happened and what they are going to do to solve it ASAP. I'm upset because I am not getting what you advertised and what I paid for coming into this release.

I would appreciate an answer. Thanks for putting up with so much backlash, I realize it must be a hellish job right about now. We just want real answers and solutions.

The ironic part is those graphics are awful, bottom of the barrel.. and they're still not in game. LOL @ BioWare.

Hi-rez textures advertised in trailers. It's been proven with evidence that the BETA allowed for higher resolution textures compared to the ones we have now, they suddenly were just taken out of the game in the transition between BETA and retail, no real statement was given.

Alright. Fair enough. Where was this advertised? I didn't see anything saying "High Resolution textures will be implemented in gameplay and cinematics." I think the graphics in this game are tremendously superior to graphics used in the other games within this genre. Guess that's just my opinion gauging my responses so far.

It's the end of the world.

The game has better graphics but there's a problem at the moment and it's being worked on.

I can't enjoy the game at this graphical quality which is still better than most games out there.

/sarcasm

I need to see any and all misleading videos showing high res textures removed from the site and any advertisement spots. I need to see a public statement from someone at Bioware (I don't care who) admit that high res textures will never be in the game because their engine cannot support it.

If not, seriously looking into this whole annoying thing about filing a complaint and letting the proper legal channels know what is going on. There are rules and laws for a reason people. (The only reason I have not done it is because I am lazy, which is not a good excuse to not fight for my rights)

Same thing with voting, if you do not vote for the President you can't complain or make a change that you think will be better.

Edited by Aisar

its a copyright star wars graphics problem. You never have most of the actual graphics on your hard drive. This thread will disappear like others. Have you wondered why the game is magically about 17 gigs or so lighter when released.

Curious, I'd like an answer too. However, to say the game was advertised with this is a bit of an understatement. If these trailers purposely were made saying "graphics in game will be in finished product" then yeah I could guarantee some legitimacy on the issue.

I need to see any and all misleading videos showing high res textures removed from the site and any advertisement spots. I need to see a public statement from someone at Bioware (I don't care who) admit that high res textures will never be in the game because their engine cannot support it.

If not, seriously looking into this whole annoying thing about filing a complaint and letting the proper legal channels know what is going on. There are rules and laws for a reason people. (The only reason I have not done it is because I am lazy, which is not a good excuse to not fight for my rights)

Same thing with voting, if you do not vote for the President you can't complain or make a change that you think will be better.

Tell me you are kidding.

Edited by Forgon