lol bolster

LegendaryQuan

Why is there a guide exploiting the bolster system? Doesn't that defeat the whole idea of endgame pvp if anyone can do it? I don't wanna offend anyone but I think that the bolster in this game is driving people away who enjoy pvp and for a STAR WARS game, you would think the word WAR means epic battles which isn't apparent in the current end game pvp.

Bolster is sort of good for lvling pvp but at end game when gear is available with comms it seems stupid to be able to exploit the bolster so you don't have to farm for it. Maybe if they increased the HP on pvp gear so people would be less likely to go in wearing pve stuff because of the loss from HP & expertise?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its on the pvp forums look!

Well, aside from individual posts/threads complaining (rightly so) about various bugs, I only found two what I would term PvP "Guides" of any kind within the first 5 pages. One is stickied at the top with such irrelevant data as the cost of Recruit Gear, and the other is a Guide about how Bolster works and the recommended order in which to acquire your gear, as you're gearing up. I've not seen any "How To Exploit" Guides. I'm just making sure that some people aren't starting to go a little crazy with the "Exploit!" accusations in this case.

Person A: "I had a PoP Tart for breakfast."

Person B: "Exploit!!1!! Hax!1!"

lol. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Edited by BoushhDC

Huh? I've not seen any such guide.

i think he's talking about tonydragonflame's guide.

edit: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635414

I only glossed it and didn't see anything about exploiting. some posts in the thread accuse him of telling ppl to. not sure if he edited or if it never contained such info.

Edited by foxmob

i think he's talking about tonydragonflame's guide.

edit: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=635414

I only glossed it and didn't see anything about exploiting. some posts in the thread accuse him of telling ppl to. not sure if he edited or if it never contained such info.

I saw the guide the first day it showed up. It's just that, a helpful guide about how bolster works and therefore a recommended order in which to gear up. There is nothing about exploiting. I've seen a LOT of posts about the bugs and how people are using the known bugs to manipulate unintended results which BW has specifically acknowledged. None of that is contained in TD's guide. If anyone is accusing him of that in the guide, as well as apparently two people here, they have some difficulties preventing them from distinguishing between what what is an exploit (and probably by extension, what is a hack) and what is just helpful information about a very opaque subject: the new bolster system.

Edited by BoushhDC

Sorry but all you people who want Bolster removed better pack your bags and just quit because recently EA posted it's earnings report and reported double Monthly revenue from this game on a month to month basis so yea you can leave now your unsubbing won't effect them a bit.

Sorry but all you people who want Bolster removed better pack your bags and just quit because recently EA posted it's earnings report and reported double Monthly revenue from this game on a month to month basis so yea you can leave now your unsubbing won't effect them a bit.

Umm, buddy, I think you're lost. This is the thread BW is actively monitoring for people reporting irregularities/issues/bugs with the bolster system so they can target their investigations in order to make fixes and improvements.

I think this is the thread you're looking to QQ in:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=631451

kthxbye

Edited by BoushhDC

actually, unsubbing will result in MORE money cuz it's the idiots buying stuff ala cart from cartel market that's feeding them profit. w.e. I'll play it until something else tickles my fancy.

... a large number of people either didn’t ever acquire the Recruit gear or simply didn’t wear it while inside PvP. The result was a rather harsh introduction to PvP for fresh level 50 players into the established PvP end-game that resulted in a significant drop off in participation of PvP.

So how is this in any way the fault of the people who take PvP seriously? It's not our fault that these people either sold or refused to wear their starter sets.

The current bolster system (at 55) is a strange design philosophy on several levels. I don't understand why we can't just add a recruit set in a different way instead of keeping this strange system. You don't have a similar bolster system for boosting people to operation-quality gear. Most guilds who run ops will probably turn you away if you don't put in the time and effort to meet minimum gear requirements - and rightfully so - so why is it any different for PvP? Recruit gear definitely needs to be more competitive than it was pre 2.0, however, if you refuse to equip it then pvp probably should be a painful experience for you.

Also, I don't understand the point of expertise at all right now. Why even have the stat if it's given out for free whenever you enter a PvP area? I know it's useful for open world PvP, but honestly how often does that ever happen in this game outside of the occasional Gree event. Right now it just serves as a way to partition PvP effort and PvE effort from being co-compatible, which is fine, but it's a little unfair if you can wear full BiS PvE gear in a warzone and be perfectly useful yet full BiS PvP gear would probably put you at a huge disadvantage in operations.

Edited by TheHeat

Umm, buddy, I think you're lost. This is the thread BW is actively monitoring for people reporting irregularities/issues/bugs with the bolster system so they can target their investigations in order to make fixes and improvements.

I think this is the thread you're looking to QQ in:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=631451

kthxbye

Naw just you have a failure in reading all the post to see that people post here about removing it so yea hope you like being wrong.

however, if you refuse to equip it then pvp probably should be a painful experience for you.

Painful experience = drop of subs. BW dont want losing subs only cuz some of pvp'ers have huge epeen ego and can be competitive only with their pvp gear advantage (and useless baddies without gear advantage).

Also, I don't understand the point of expertise at all right now.

Expertise is thing, which balanced all gear in WZ areas. Mainly, its expertise + endurance + mainstat + primary damage. Last, but not least, Conqueror min/max pvp gear is the best gear and wz and in the open world pvp. So, all pvp'ers have point for grind it for mains and for alts.

... a large number of people either didn’t ever acquire the Recruit gear or simply didn’t wear it while inside PvP. The result was a rather harsh introduction to PvP for fresh level 50 players into the established PvP end-game that resulted in a significant drop off in participation of PvP.

than for heavens sake change yur bolster system to sth. understandable and working e.g.

1. check if item is with or with out expertise

a) yes -> do nothing

b) no -> change item stats to be equal to a non "physically" existant recruit set with stats 5% below partisan regardless if it is a lvl 15 or 72 item.

problem solved.

Edited by Tankqull

Endless gear treadmills in PvP w/o some sort of system like this just bleed the playerbase over time. It's no surprise that there's such opposition from remaining players, since that population has been filtered down to only people that can tolerate the previous lame system. I'm guessing BW isn't going for retaining those players so much as enticing new players and luring back people like me.

Here's my sub--show me what you can do BW. Don't pussyfoot around like RIFT; a small group of hardcore elitist cockroaches never kept any PvP community alive. Drawing in casuals, PvE'ers, and new blood is the way to go. Stay on target... Stay on target...

Edited by BDutch

Endless gear treadmills in PvP w/o some sort of system like this just bleed the playerbase over time. It's no surprise that there's such opposition from remaining players, since that population has been filtered down to only people that can tolerate the previous lame system. I'm guessing BW isn't going for retaining those players so much as enticing new players and luring back people like me.

Here's my sub--show me what you can do BW. Don't pussyfoot around like RIFT; a small group of hardcore elitist cockroaches never kept any PvP community alive. Drawing in casuals, PvE'ers, and new blood is the way to go. Stay on target... Stay on target...

Hardcore pvp guilds still murder pve'ers/casuals bolster or not. Nothing really changed on my server except there are more premades now because people refuse to solo queue only to be grouped with players who got no clue how to pvp.

More premades and longer queue times since 2.0 thanks to broken bolster.

Hardcore pvp guilds still murder pve'ers/casuals bolster or not.

If that's the case then why does it even matter if something changed? Hardcore pvp guilds are already geared to fight eachother on equal footing, so who cares what sort of bolstering the trampled remainder gets?

Nothing really changed on my server except there are more premades now because people refuse to solo queue only to be grouped with players who got no clue how to pvp.

People are frustrated because more bad players are trying PvP now? Working as intended. I can't sympathize with PvP communities that don't understand how PvP dies a slow death without an influx of new players. It's like a stupid goldfish that won't stop eating until it dies.

Edited by BDutch

I near choked on my croissant reading this, nice try though they have been bleeding players these past few weeks the stats show it all.

I near choked on my croissant reading this, nice try though they have been bleeding players these past few weeks the stats show it all.

Like I said, right now the community is comprised of people that either like the old system or grew to tolerate it. It doesn't surprise me that they dislike a drastic change... how could it have possibly been made for their benefit? If there is a positive impact on PvP population, it won't happen over night. It's a lot easier to drive away players than it is to draw them back. Just like all the players that rage quit the first time they hit 50 and queued up to be destroyed a few times in a row then said "lol screw this".

Torstats? They don't prove anything. They added 1,7 millions new players since going free to play and the number of subs have stabilized at just under half a million according to this article

Edited by Darkshadz