8 vs 8 ranked: Sign if you agree this needs to be done!

Lhancelot

Simple thread, with simple message. Bioware, bring back 8 vs 8 ranked pvp! I sat in queue for 35 mins yesterday during PEAK HOURS at 8pm EST waiting for solo ranked to pop, and then just queued for regs which ofc popped nearly immediately. FFS. What does it take to convince these devs that WE WANT 8 vs 8 BACK FOR RANKED PVP.

Remember when 8v8 ranked was in the game and it took extreme effort to even get kickball matches going?

Pepperidge Farm remembers and so does BW apparently. There are a lot of changes that have to be made before 8v8 or 4v4 ranked are successful.

I remember when 50 was cap level, and 8 vs 8 ranked was fine. There was no hour long wait for queues to pop like ranked have now.

I do not see how this fixes the problem. Sure there are people who enjoy the objective based warzones, but most of the people who played them prior to 2.4 (Arena update) have left. The 8v8 games were tremendous nail biting fun, for example this game

but their golden age is long behind us.

If guilds can't even field 4 people for ranked, do you really think they will field 8 people? While I would like 8v8 back, saying we need it to increase the population is an illusion. If anything, it will further fragment the community like GSF did. Solo ranked needs to die, the rewards for regs and solo need to be reduced, and grouped ranked needs to be incentivized.

How do u do this?

Reg warzones only give regular comms, including daily/weekly with a random chance of bag drop for gear tokens.

Solo q gives ranked comms and increased bag drop chance (no longer part of the leaderboard).

Ranked 4v4 is the only ranked q, gives 2x the ranked comms of solo q, 2x credit rewards, and offers unique rewards. For example, crafting mats for pvp stims/adrenals (get rid of reusable to increase economy demand). Able to acquire old PvP schematics in an orange form (Centurion, Battlemaster, etc) whereby you can then make them and sell on GTN.

This creates a clear progression for players, get some comms and gear tokens in regs, test out the arenas in solo and get more gear, than form a team in grouped ranked once you are geared. Think PvE, story, hard, NIM modes.

ELO needs to be adjusted. Give late comers to the ranked scene a boost in ELO gain. Losing against teams with higher ELO averages should result in dramatically less ELO lost.

Punish leavers, 5-10-15min prevention of q'ing again on the entire account.

I remember when 50 was cap level, and 8 vs 8 ranked was fine. There was no hour long wait for queues to pop like ranked have now.

You mean 2 years ago when there were at least 10x more people in the competitive PvP community? Find ways to create a 4v4 community that actually thrives to bring people back and then we can talk about fielding 8 man teams.

You mean 2 years ago when there were at least 10x more people in the competitive PvP community? Find ways to create a 4v4 community that actually thrives to bring people back and then we can talk about fielding 8 man teams.

Yeah seriously. Everytime I see a "bring 8v8 back" post, I think "Where do these people thing these teams are going to materialize from?" Do people really think regStarz don't play ranked just because they don't like arena? There's a lot more to it then just the game format.

Yeah seriously. Everytime I see a "bring 8v8 back" post, I think "Where do these people thing these teams are going to materialize from?" Do people really think regStarz don't play ranked just because they don't like arena? There's a lot more to it then just the game format.

Ranked 4's people are much more inclined to static setups (same people everyday everytime).

In 8v8 there was a lot more room for substitutes.

There would be just as much or few queues going on in 8v8. But being 8v8 there would be more people queuing.

Problem was never and still isn't getting people together. Problem is BW doesn't support PvP (**** rewards, balance updates twice a year etc.)

Bring 8v8 back signed.

People always miss out on the huge impact 8 man ranked had on the health of the PvP community.

When it was removed PvPers left en masse meaning that the talent pool to play 4's was SEVERELY impacted. From looking at twitch view numbers people prefer watching objective based warzones even if they're just regs because they're frankly a lot more entertaining to watch than straight up arena. These viewers are the ones who will join the game and attempt to take part in these modes and 8 man ranked games being streamed would instantly be the most watched games on twitch (for swtors obvs).

Adding the option will only increase PvP participation and health, ranked 4 man is pretty much dead across all servers. When people say "oh well X server has 7 teams queueing for team ranked" it just goes to show how dead the mode is, they are literally bragging that 28 people IN TOTAL from their whole server play team ranked.

Ultimately for any team ranked mode to be a success we'll need something like cross server to help us bolster up the population and allow the match making system to kick in properly but even without this being added (and it looks like this isn't coming any time soon) giving us the option will silence a large amount of critics and will only give us more options to play rather than detract from anything else. It is literally a win/win situation for bioware and the most frustrating part is they've already got it there - they just need to switch it back on.

I do not see how this fixes the problem. Sure there are people who enjoy the objective based warzones, but most of the people who played them prior to 2.4 (Arena update) have left. The 8v8 games were tremendous nail biting fun, for example this game
but their golden age is long behind us.

This is a great video BTW, really shows the communication needed across a team and how adding in objectives for PvP (even if it is in macroball) makes it more intense and more enjoyable to watch. I'm going to spend the rest of my afternoon watching the other videos.

This is a great video BTW, really shows the communication needed across a team and how adding in objectives for PvP (even if it is in macroball) makes it more intense and more enjoyable to watch. I'm going to spend the rest of my afternoon watching the other videos.

We had a gentlemen's agreement on the Bastion to not use Macros. I wish twitch had not deleted all of my saved vids, had a bunch of old but good 8v8 ranked warzones.

Saying you need to get people to come back before you implement the content that would GET them to come back is ... silly.

Cross server would help, but ultimately if you want to improve the PvP pool, you need to add (or re-add) PvP content. Like 8v8s.

Edited by Jherad

Saying you need to get people to come back before you implement the content that would GET them to come back is ... silly.

Cross server would help, but ultimately if you want to improve the PvP pool, you need to add (or re-add) PvP content. Like 8v8s.

This is incorrect. If they added 8v8 ranked back in tomorrow, how many players would come back to the game? Maybe 100 across all servers? And they wouldn't stay long when they realize it's the same as it was before.

So yes, there are many things that need to change before 8v8 is viable or helpful to the community.

But we will never be a triumphant band until we get Eddie VanHalen....and we will never get Eddie VanHalen until we are a triumphant band :rolleyes:

What I really don't understand is why can't they just have both 8v8 ranked warzones and 4v4 arena?!

So they remove 8v8 ranked all because it was a small population that did it?

Ok So Why not remove some of the unpopular flashpoints or operations as well?

Oh no they would never dare take any content away from their PVE community.

PVP in SWTOR seems be the red headed step child.

I swear I look on Twitch.tv everyday.. Fifteen to thirty Thousand people watching World Of Warcraft PVPers...

I look at SWTOR Twtich.tv channels... average is about 50-100 people watching..

Mainly people only watch the top pvpers in swtor as everyone discusses how the developers of SWTOR only add more and more PVE content and blatantly Ignore PVP.

I'm really not trying to be bitter. I love this game! It could be so much more!

*big hint is to add cross servers and add a 16 vs 16 man warzone, adding something similar to Alterac Valley scenario from World of Warcraft.

/endrant.

Edited by COOKIESNOMNOMNOM

They should jus give the option to play 8man grps vs 8 man plus challenges. It doesn't even need to have rating jus give people the option to play that. group 4s should have an unranked as well. ranking system in this game is designed for a game like 500x the size anyway as has been said loads of times anyway

What I really don't understand is why can't they just have both 8v8 ranked warzones and 4v4 arena?!

So they remove 8v8 ranked all because it was a small population that did it?

Ok So Why not remove some of the unpopular flashpoints or operations as well?

Oh no they would never dare take any content away from their PVE community.

PVP in SWTOR seems be the red headed step child.

I swear I look on Twitch.tv everyday.. Fifteen to thirty Thousand people watching World Of Warcraft PVPers...

I look at SWTOR Twtich.tv channels... average is about 50-100 people watching..

Mainly people only watch the top pvpers in swtor as everyone discusses how the developers of SWTOR only add more and more PVE content and blatantly Ignore PVP.

I'm really not trying to be bitter. I love this game! It could be so much more!

*big hint is to add cross servers and add a 16 vs 16 man warzone, adding something similar to Alterac Valley scenario from World of Warcraft.

/endrant.

How many millions of people play WoW? That's why people watch WoW. I've also found SWTOR streamers extremely boring. It was always nice to see Yoda getting drunk off *insert fruit here*-brr-itas, but players like him moved on since there was no effort put into competitive PvP.

They removed 8v8 so they wouldn't have to support it. Old flashpoints still get support in the way of changes to group finder and daily/weekly rewards to keep them being run. BW didn't want to find the resources to improve 8v8 and build 4v4. Not to say they were successful in supporting 4v4, but 8v8 would just be another empty game mode.

They should jus give the option to play 8man grps vs 8 man plus challenges. It doesn't even need to have rating jus give people the option to play that. group 4s should have an unranked as well. ranking system in this game is designed for a game like 500x the size anyway as has been said loads of times anyway

I like this idea, a nice compromise. I miss 8 v 8 in its busy days but not later having to spend loads of time just scrounging around for kick ball and facing the same die hard teams over and over. Which is what I'd expect we'd basically end up with if 8s returned today in the same format.

I'm still annoyed that they pulled it because I enjoyed it way more than arena. It was there, **** it, just leave it and add arenas too. This is the part where I start ************ about CM tunnel vision and apathetic development so am going to stop now.

Edited by Joesixxpack

This is incorrect. If they added 8v8 ranked back in tomorrow, how many players would come back to the game? Maybe 100 across all servers? And they wouldn't stay long when they realize it's the same as it was before.

So yes, there are many things that need to change before 8v8 is viable or helpful to the community.

I never said 8v8s are the panacea (although I'd probably be a sub for the life of the game if they reimplemented them with cross server). But my point about PvP content stands - it has been utterly neglected, which is why people left. If you want people back, you need content.

You don't say 'well IF the people come back, we'll add the content'. Because that's as dumb as a box of rocks.

Edited by Jherad

8v8 would be an even bigger abomination now than it was then.

Class imbalance was rubish, and unless you guys are expecting a small miracle, class imbalance is going to be very real right after an expansion the turns numerous classes upside down in terms of ability goes, so all those players you saw jump ship the last time things were jacked up....get ready for some de ja vu, because thats exactly what will happen again.

No new warzones that even remotely support the level of coordination to entertain more competetive groups. Arenas barely survive. Hutball is the only real map that even comes close to being a fun map to do 8s ranked in. Queshball would be interesting to see, but really, the map is so easy to score on that I dont see many people playing it and having fun.

No one is going to play ranked 8s. Nothing has changed since the last time it tanked.

Bringing back 8s alone wouldn't work. I've always advocated 2 four man teams with a more relaxed rating system. The benefits would be ;

1. Easy for guilds to get 4 people to que and you can sub players in and out.

2. Warzones are much more fun and attractive to most of the player base.

3. You match the teams randomly to avoid que exploits and to avoid people facing the same team over and over.

4. I know this isn't ideal for the hardcore pvper, however, I think they just need to accept the fact that if you want the best competition your playing the wrong game.

5. I'm against a solo 8 man que bc it's too easy to troll it.

6. They could keep arenas as a 2vs2 or just allow duels and/or official tourneys to determine top players. 4 man cannot be saved in my opinion. It was a bad idea, period.