Noobathon 2012. Any help Appeciated

Asphixxiate

First off, i tried out the weekend free trail that was given away last weekend, and immediatly fell in love with the game. I kknew i was going to buy about an hour into playing..lol. Being a former WoW player..i get teh basics of the game. Lvling, heroics, gear...but i have a feeling i have only just scratched the surface of this game. So I'll get right to the questions, but first a little info about my toon.

Lvl 26 Jedi Sage- Stacking mainly Willpower first, then endurance. I've been seeing alot of gear lately with "crit" and "power"....not really sure power even is, but i get crit.

- Mods - I dont understand what mods are what, where they should go, and what i should be using for peticular items. i.e ive recieved my secong orange piece of geat that can be modded out...but what do use statwise on the chest and legs pieces...and are they even viable or worth putting mods in?

- Crafting - i think i have a fiarly decent understanding about how they work, i have all 3 of my crafting skills at around or above 150 so far..im trying to keep them fairly close together. Im currently Synthweaving, Archeo, and Underworld Trading. and thats it..is there another profession im missing..i keep seeinf diplomacy and whatnot and wonder what that is and if there is another profession im missing.

-Heroics- Are they necessary to do to keep the storyline going for the MAIN story line or are they arbitrary to do and not needed?

- when it says 2+, 4+ does that include your companion or is it suggested actual players?

-Skill Trees - Are there suggested trees for classes for leveling / heroics ( i usually heal, but want to still be able to kick *** while leveling..is there a "Dual Speccing" system i dont know about yet?

-Auction House - Where the hack is the auction house??!! i have not seen 1 auction house since i have been playing.

Well, thats it for now..any help appreciated. No trolls or flamers needed plz. thx in advance for your answers

First off, i tried out the weekend free trail that was given away last weekend, and immediatly fell in love with the game. I kknew i was going to buy about an hour into playing..lol. Being a former WoW player..i get teh basics of the game. Lvling, heroics, gear...but i have a feeling i have only just scratched the surface of this game. So I'll get right to the questions, but first a little info about my toon.

Lvl 26 Jedi Sage- Stacking mainly Willpower first, then endurance. I've been seeing alot of gear lately with "crit" and "power"....not really sure power even is, but i get crit.

Power increases the amount of healing/damage done, where crit increases the chance to do more damage/healing.

- Mods - I dont understand what mods are what, where they should go, and what i should be using for peticular items. i.e ive recieved my secong orange piece of geat that can be modded out...but what do use statwise on the chest and legs pieces...and are they even viable or worth putting mods in?

When modding gear and hovering your mouse over mods/slots you'll see where they go.

Basically:

Crystals are for weapons only.

Hilts are for melee weapons only.

Scopes are for ranged weapons only.

Armoring is for appearance gear only (everything that is not a weapon or just doesn't show on your character).

Only things you should really pay attention to is the armor rating and primairy/secondairy stats.

- Crafting - i think i have a fiarly decent understanding about how they work, i have all 3 of my crafting skills at around or above 150 so far..im trying to keep them fairly close together. Im currently Synthweaving, Archeo, and Underworld Trading. and thats it..is there another profession im missing..i keep seeinf diplomacy and whatnot and wonder what that is and if there is another profession im missing.

There are also a few skills that offer schematics, but then you lose the ability to be self-sufficient.

-Heroics- Are they necessary to do to keep the storyline going for the MAIN story line or are they arbitrary to do and not needed?

Optional.

- when it says 2+, 4+ does that include your companion or is it suggested actual players?

I believe players, since 2+ would otherwise already be achieved by having a companion out. But you can also try to solo it, just be prepared to possibly face more than you can handle. And companions often do things you don't want to when doing the tougher fights, players can be much more efficient.

-Skill Trees - Are there suggested trees for classes for leveling / heroics ( i usually heal, but want to still be able to kick *** while leveling..is there a "Dual Speccing" system i dont know about yet?

No dual spec, and none to be expection any time soon. Companions are there to compensate for your character's weaknesses, if you're a healer take along a damage/tank companion.

-Auction House - Where the hack is the auction house??!! i have not seen 1 auction house since i have been playing.

Try the fleet, I think in the supplier section. It's called the Galactic Trade Network (GTN).

Well, thats it for now..any help appreciated. No trolls or flamers needed plz. thx in advance for your answers

You're welcome. Hope this helps you a little.

Edited by Lyshar

Put mods in it. Like on each leveling planet collect some planetary commendations and go to the modification commendations vendor and buy new mods after you've completed other stuff there and you'll be able to keep it up to your level all the way to 50.

You can only have 3 at a time and that's the normal combination with syntweaving.

Completely optional

Players obviously.

No Dual spec

In the distant future there will be.

There is no such thing!

Closest equivalent is the GTN (which does not have auction function)

Find them in Republic Fleet and under the senate plaza in Coruscant and the pvp area in Tatooine.

I used to play wow for 5 years so I can relate

Power is used by Operative Medic's to increase healing potency, and other for increased damage.. If you look on your character page on the drop-down menu for tech, and hover over bonus damage, you will see power factored in ... same for bonus healing.

Think of these as enchants but you can have multiple enchants. same thing goes for enhancements. The thing with mods and enhancements in orange pieces of gear, you can upgrade the mods will also increase the level of your gear (yes, you can take that level 10 saber and keep upgrading the mods in it to turn it into a level 50 saber)

nope, your not missing any and you have the 2 mission/gathering crew skills which compliment Synthweaving.

Nope, heroics are not needed to keep the storyline. They are there just to add to the side quests and provide more commendations for the planet. They tend to drop better gear from the mobs than the regular quests.

I have not yet played the jedi sage (currently have a 50 sentinel and working on a shadow) so i cant really be much help on the which spec to use but i'm sure you have already looked at your class forums/google for some helpfull skill trees to use already. As far as dual spec. No, they have not implimented this in the game yet so just like wow was a while ago, you will need to go see the trainer and respec every time you want to change out to a different tree.

This would be the Global Trade Network (GTN) and it can be located on various planets or the fleet.

Alright...here I go.

1. Up to level 50, mods are necessary to keep your orange stuff up to date. You will get a ton of them by questing on a planet and get the planet-specific commendations. Otherwise, you will get them as a quest-reward. It doesn´t matter which part of your equip you upgrade first, because stat is stat, but you should always upgrade the equip that has the lowest stats actualy.

2. If your wondering about the crew-skills, take a look at your codex ( press L ingame then click on codex on the bottom). It should show you all the crew skills, what they do and which gathering skills you need.

3. Heroics or flashpoints/operation have nothing to do with the main story. They have more or less interesting sidestorys that dont realy connect to eachother. You will finish your mainstory just by completing your "class- quest" which wont lead you into a flashpoint.

4. It always shows the number of players and assumes your taking your companions with you ( so, basicly your a 3 player group, as a companion can be count as 1/2 player)

5. The tree on the very left side is always the tank or heal tree (except for maraudors/sentinel and gunslinger/sniper). The tree in the middle mostly focuses on PvE and the tree on the right focuses on PvP, but keep in mind that there are trees on the right better in PvE then the middle tree.

6.You can find the auction house on the imperial fleet in the " galactic commercial market" section on the bottom left ( or right, im not sure atm)

Edited by Gennek

Crystals are for weapons only.

Hilts are for melee weapons only.

Scopes are for ranged weapons only.

Armoring is for appearance gear only (everything that is not a weapon or just doesn't show on your character).

Firstly there is no such thing as scopes, there are barrels.

Also armoring is for armor. "appearance gear" is not the word most people would use.

The main parts are barrel/hilt which set the weapon damage/power rating for weapons and armoring which sets the armor rating for armor.

It's called the Galactic Trade Network (GTN).

If by "it" you refer to auction house, then that would be no. GTN is not auction house. It is the closest equivalent to it, but not the same thing. You can't bid or auction anything in this game, just buy or sell for a fixed price.

You can find the auction house on

Seriously, please stop calling it auction house. It is not auction house when you can't do auctions, only put stuff for sale at a fixed price.

Edited by Eternalnight

Think of these as enchants but you can have multiple enchants.

Except that they are nothing like wow enchants or anything.

Wow enchants are just a tiny bonus stat increase on an item that already has huge amount of stat on its own.

Modifiable gear in this game, has no stats when empty and ALL of it's stats come from the modifications.

Edited by Eternalnight

Also Nar Shaddaa has its own GTN(not connected to the one on fleet), where you can trade with players from the opposite faction. So if you have a lightsaber thats for a Dark III user and your light all the way, maybe you could sell it on Nar Shaddaa, and a sith warrior will buy it or soemthing. :p

Its located on the lower promenade. To the right of where the Sages skills trainer is i believe.

Hello and welcome to the game!

Power is similar to WoW's spell power, it makes all your abilities more powerful.

For details on skill trees, best stats, and everything you may want to know about your class, check this Sage guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=638

It is counter-intuitive if you come from WoW, but the healing skill tree is actually very good for levelling, since it makes you and your companion unstoppable. I have been a Seer Sage from level 10, currently 48, and I'm very happy with the experience. :)

About mods: as mentioned, you can upgrade the mods in your gear so that your stats improve as you level, without changing the armor piece or weapon. Obtaining mods is usually easier and cheaper than obtaining full weapons or armor, so usually your modded gear will be better than most blue or even purple quality items for your level.

Power is similar to WoW's spell power, it makes all your abilities more powerful.

I would not call it that either. Wow's spellpower affects only spells, not melee attacks or other things like that.

Power (without prefix) affects all types of abilities and attacks.

Edited by Eternalnight

Except that they are nothing like wow enchants or anything.

Wow enchants are just a tiny bonus stat increase on an item that already has huge amount of stat on its own.

Modifiable gear in this game, has no stats when empty and ALL of it's stats come from the modifications.

Um... no. when comparing the 2, they do the same exact thing. BOTH add an extra stat which would not normally be there to begin with.

In wow, if I wanted to add an extra stat to a piece of gear, i added an enchant to the piece of gear.

In swtor, if i wanted to add an extra stat to a piece of gear, i add a mod or enchantments or both.

You are completly right about saying when there are no mods in the gear or weapon, they do add no stats. Just like an enchant would work. If no enchant has been applied to the weapon or gear, there will be no stats to be added...

Once a piece of gear has a mod or an enhancement added, it increases the stat that you put in, just like an enchant. So yes, mods / enhancements work exactly like enchants would but you can add multiple of them in a piece of gear instead of 1. The only difference between the 2 is one is an actual item which can be removed and placed into another piece of gear and the other is a "spell" casted upon the item. Both of which has the ability to be destroyed upon putting a new one in (that is if you do not remove the mod / enhancement) first prior to upgrading.

The amount it adds is irreverent when comparing the 2. I was just trying to break it down in terms that a wow player would understand in the swtor world.

Um... no. when comparing the 2, they do the same exact thing. BOTH add an extra stat which would not normally be there to begin with.

In wow, if I wanted to add an extra stat to a piece of gear, i added an enchant to the piece of gear.

In swtor, if i wanted to add an extra stat to a piece of gear, i add a mod or enchantments or both.

No, they are not the same thing at all.

WoW enchants add, as you say, extra stats. They are basically optional (or at least should be) unless you really want to min/max everything. The gear there is quite useful even without any enchants.

Swtor modifications do not add extra stats to an item. To an orange item they add all the stats. There is nothing extra about them. The item is practically useless if the slots are empty.

They are completely different things that have almost nothing in common.

Edited by Eternalnight

First and foremost welcome to the game! Here's a brief overview to answer your questions, I apologize for any duplicate answers :p.

As a consular (Sage or Shadow), willpower is your primary stat that is going to effect the damage and healing that you can do. Endurance is equivalent to what you saw in WoW (increases your health pool). Your secondary stats are Power, Crit, Surge, and Alacrity.

Power will increase the healing or damage that you do for ANY class. It's a generic term that you will find on mods and enhancements (this is equivalent to Force Power or Tech Power stats that you will find mentioned on weapons and offhands).

Crit and Surge both effect the crit on your abilities. Higher Crit will increase the chance that a critical will occur, and higher Surge will make the critical more powerful (i.e. a larger critical heal or damage).

Alacrity reduces your activation/channel time for your abilities. For a WoW counterpart, think of Haste.

As previously mentioned, there are a few different item modifications available. You can use them in the customizable (i.e. Orange) gear to make a piece last you from 10-50. (Your first piece is usually your weapon at level 10.) The different types are below:

Color crystals - Weapons only, and they increase a secondary stat. Endurance and Crit are the main 2 stats that you see until the level 50 crystals. (Made by Artifice)

Barrels/Hilts - (I am lumping these together since they are equivalent, it is important to note however that Barrels are for any gun-like weapon, and hilts are for any sword/staff-like weapon.) Weapon only, they increase a primary stat + Endurance. There are variations for tanks with more Endurance than what you would see on a healer/DPS hilt/barrel. They also increase the min/max damage of your weapon. (Hilts - made by Artifice, Barrels - made by Armstech)

Enhancements - Open for almost all customizable gear (the current exceptions are crafting procs), these enhance secondary stats in a WIDE variation. Typically you will find Endurance + 1-2 other secondary stat. The higher level enhancements will have more stats and variety than the low level. (Made by Artifice)

Mods - Open for almost all customizable gear (the current exceptions are crafting procs), these add a primary stat + Endurance + 1 secondary stat (depending on mod level). Just like the Enhancement, the higher the mod level, the more stats you can find. (Made by Cybertech)

Armor - Only available for Helm, Chest, Gloves, Boots, Leggings and SOME Bracers/Belts. Like the barrels and hilts, these provide a stat increase to a primary stat + Endurance to your armor piece. They will also increase the armor of a given piece. (Made by Cybertech)

Augments - This is a slot that becomes available currently on exceptional crafting procs. Augments can increase any primary or secondary stat, but they only have 1 stat per augment. There will be some major changes coming up for this in patch 1.2, but currently as it stands, augments are a random reward from Slicing crafting missions.

You have the correct 3 professions to support Synthweaving. As you have mentioned, there are other professions out there, but you can only support 3 professions per character in the game. A max of 1 crafting profession (i.e. Synthweaving, Biochem, Artifice, Armstech, Armormech, and Cybertech), with a combination of 2 gathering professions (Bioanalysis, Archaeology, Scavenging, Slicing, Underworld Trading, Treasure Hunting, Diplomacy, Investigation), or a total of 3 gathering professions.

Optional, but they tend to have higher rewards.

They are typically referring to players, but depending on gear/class you can get away with less. Since I leveled as a healer (Sith Sorcerer), I found that I could do several of the 2+ with me and my tank companion with time and patience.

No duel spec, and once you choose your advanced class you are stuck with it. Good news is that you can respec your AC between the 3 tree as needed. (For a cost of course.) Further good news, is that with the companions offered in this game, I found relatively painless to level as a healer.

Technically no auction house in the game, closest thing you will find is the GTN, or HTN. The GTN (Galatic Trade Network) is your faction's network and is found at the fleet or capital planet (there is also one on Tatooine, in the open PvP area ;)). The HTN (Hutta Trade Network) is the neutral network and is found on Nar Shadda. This allows for cross-faction transactions, but is not very widely used.

Sorry for the longer post ;), but I hope this information helps!

Edited by Celebriel

All your questions seem to have been answered, but on the topic of heroic missions i'll add in planetary Bonus Series missions.

Now there are Bonus Missions that can pop up around normal missions, usually something along the lines of kill 20 mobs and you'll get some bonus xp. If available, these "pop up" while you are on a mission and net you a bit of bonus xp. Some of these are multi part and appear as 1 of 3 etc. Normally the progression is kill 20 mobs, then kill 40 mobs and finally kill an elite or similar - these are worth more xp and are definintely worth doing.

Bonus Series are a slightly different beast, and appear after you've finished a planets normal missions. These are optional, but completing the Bonus Series missions can net you a big bunch of xp, some commendations and usually a really nice piece of gear at the end - unless you are really keen to move onto your nect planet i'd very strongly reccomend doing these.

Hope that helps.

Edited by rawhead_wrecker

No, they are not the same thing at all.

WoW enchants add, as you say, extra stats. They are basically optional (or at least should be) unless you really want to min/max everything. The gear there is quite useful even without any enchants.

Swtor modifications do not add extra stats to an item. To an orange item they add all the stats. There is nothing extra about them. The item is practically useless if the slots are empty.

They are completely different things that have almost nothing in common.

Ok... so what if i went as far as its something that is added that was not there before ffs... Just because I am not as critical as you does not mean its not mean it is not anywhere near what is correct.

enchants are added by an external source which add something to a piece of gear

mods/enchants are added by an external source which add something to a piece of gear

big picture here. not exact science.

the sky is blue... no it isnt, its clear. it only appears blue because 3/4 of the earths... blah blah blah blah... who cares.

Edited by haliy

Wow, lots of bad information here. I'll address the Custom gear and Item mod issues.

Mods of all types go in CUSTOM quality (orange) gear. This gear has absolutely NO stats on it at base when empty of mods, so the mods that go in them are NOT like enchants at all. The mods are what give said gear ANY stats AT ALL. There really is no Blizzard-equivalent comparison to be made to these items because it a is unique system (as far as I know) to SWTOR. If you put green mods in an orange item it will be equivalent to a green item of the same level (as the mods), blue mods = blue item quality, purple mods = purple item quality. (purple>blue>green IS a reasonable Blizzard comparison) The mods can continually be upgraded and replaced to keep that same piece of gear relavent over a virtually infinite level range (with some caveats with which i won't bore you at this point).

As previously stated, Color Crystals are for weapons only, Armoring goes in armor, MOD and Enhancement go in most custom gear. Augment goes in specially crafted items where it's crafter managed to 'crit' upon it's creation thus producing an EXTRA slot that doesnt normally appear on most gear (augments can be obtained on any quality and as of 1.2's patch, this will include custom armor - custom weapons can already come with augment rarely)

Custom gear is all about apearance. Any 2 custom (orange) items for the same slot (chest/head/leg/hand/etc) will be completely identical mechanically with the same mods slotted.

First off, I'd like to thank anyone who posted with help, i AM eternally grateful for all teh feedback. Im Used to the battlefield "flame"forums where everything gets answered hatefully =D

Thank you again for clearing up the whole mods issue. So would it have been a good idea to switch out a orange sabre which had 20 willpower, 20 endurance with a green sabre that has 24 willpower, 17 endurance, 10 crit, and 154 force?/ Should i have just modded re modded teh orange sabre out?

... So would it have been a good idea to switch out a orange sabre which had 20 willpower, 20 endurance with a green sabre that has 24 willpower, 17 endurance, 10 crit, and 154 force?/ Should i have just modded re modded teh orange sabre out?

I am a big proponent of orange gear, so I will say anytime you find an 'upgrade' to an orange item, basically means it's time to find new mods for your gear. Upgrading the mods in the orange will make it at least equal to, if not better, than anything you are finding at that level. The best places to look for new mods are the Commendation Vendors on each planet and fleet or from crafters via the GTN (or self if your crewskill produces them - cybertech and artifice). I was able to keep my gear fully outfitted with blue quality mods from personal crafting and commendations all the way to 50 with little difficulty, and the gear was usually better than what I was finding because i used blue or better mods.

Thank you again for clearing up the whole mods issue. So would it have been a good idea to switch out a orange sabre which had 20 willpower, 20 endurance with a green sabre that has 24 willpower, 17 endurance, 10 crit, and 154 force?/ Should i have just modded re modded teh orange sabre out?

Well use the greenie, until you get a chance to find new modifications to your orange.

After having done everything else on each planet, go to that planet's commendations vendors and buy and buy all the blue mods you can, with commendations you have collected on that planet.

When I did this on every planet, I have never found a green item that would be better than my orange.

Note: the how much force power a lightsaber has, is determined by the hilt. You can't see directly from the hilt how much weapon damage or force power it will cause you to have, before you put it into a lightsaber, but if the weapon damage/power rating on the hilt is higher than the rating in your lightsaber then the weapon damage and force power will be higher once you put it in.

First off, I'd like to thank anyone who posted with help, i AM eternally grateful for all teh feedback. Im Used to the battlefield "flame"forums where everything gets answered hatefully =D

Keep the orange until you can get new mods, but you can use the green until then. The custom gear is a great system that allows you to keep the look that you want for your character with stats that are level appropriate. Also note that you can give this gear to your companions too, the only exception is that if the piece requires a specific class.

EDIT -- And BTW, don't feel bad if you trashed the orange saber at an early state in the game, yes it's a missed opportunity now, BUT the game will allow you other chances to get a new one. The first flashpoint has some new weapons, so you can always go back and get one there if needed, or wait for future rewards. There is also of course the GTN/HTN where you can buy one if you want one sooner.

Edited by Celebriel

My experience has been that you can easily spend commendations to keep at least two modded items as good as, or better than, typical blue items for your level range. The trick with orange items is that you *have* to stay on top of them, constantly checking to see if you can get a better mod for any of the three (or four, for blasters) slots on the item.

Troll the GTN for mods, as well. Sometimes, you can find blue or purple mods for dirt cheap.

Don't forget that mods (and everything else) bound to your *character* can be freely given to *companions*. It's often better to keep a companion geared up in your hand-me-downs than to sell them to a vendor, assuming he/she/it uses the same stats.

Likewise, if a quest reward or loot drop is a fully-slotted orange item, but you like the looks of your current item, or some of the slots are better than your current mods, but some are worse, you can rip out the good ones and put them in your existing one. This lets your keep your favorite gun/helmet/whatever for the whole game. (I still use my Great Hunt Blaster pistol, because I like how it looks.)

You didn't ask about it, but, in case you've missed it, normal gear (and orange gear in 1.2 onwards) can have an "Augment" slot. An "augment" is basically an extra slot which can have a lot of different bonuses. They (augments) drop exceedingly rarely, but you can often find them on the GTN. I don't think I've ever found an augmentable item as a normal drop, but they can be made by crafters -- for example, you may have created something with the "Exceptional" tag, which means it has an empty augment slot. If you already know this, ignore me.

Both augments and mods can be removed and reslotted, though they're bound to your character. Also, it can be very costly to remove them, especially purple ones. (I think it cost me something like 14K credits to unslot a level 30 purple augment, or thereabouts.)

Heroics: They're not *necessary*, but they're fun, they often have good loot, and some of them will also give you social points (which also aren't necessary, but can lead to fun gear). (I'm actually a little disappointed in how few heroics after the starting world offer conversations other than the pickup, which you often never do in a group because someone just shares it with you.) Also, since most endgame content is group-oriented, it's never too early to learn how to function in a group and develop the skills as you level up, instead of soloing to 50 and then discovering you have no idea how to contribute in a group.

After tinkering a bit with some modding ( i had about 40 or more commendations for the worlds i had collected but hadnt yet spent..so i went back and bought ALOT of mods. Once you get teh hang of its not so bad ... Now to my next question if anyone is still reading... FLASHPOINTS..what are they ? are they necessary? or is it like another heroic? a more difficult instance with better loot drops.

Flashpoints are the standard instanced group content, they are optional.

Hardmode Flashpoints are the same, just a lot harder for level 50s who want a chalange, still optional.

Operations are multigroup flashpoints and still optional.

People can even argue that the instanced class story parts are optional (after getting your ship or to the fleet). But that depends on what you want to get out of the game. But if you treat this as optional it leaves you with less to do and you wouldn't even get all your companions. But if you only care about Warzones for example, you never need to leave the fleet after you get there (in theory you could stay on the starter planet, but that would exclude you from most of the rewards).

Just for argument's sake I treat everything not class story related as optional (world story is still advisable), it depends on player preference. Pretty much everything requiring a group is optional if you look at it that way. After and in between that you can choose what to do with your character, PvP, RP, Flashpoints.

Firstly there is no such thing as scopes, there are barrels.

And yes, that's what I meant, didn't go in game to check, and I was just going after the gun exclusive, mostly to give the idea of the system.

Edited by Lyshar

Hello Asphixxiate, welcome to the community!

Throughout the forums, you'll see threads stuck to the top. These often contain important information and are definitely worth looking at! A good deal of sticky threads are guides created by your fellow community members. However, New Player Help is a little different. We have so many terrific guides and helpful members in here, that we've began the New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources as a way to showcase guides posted to this forum, since there is not enough sticky space for all of them!

One to help you get started is Goshee's Guide: Newcomers. This is great for seasoned players, as well!

If you are still coming up with questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The New Players Help community is wonderful and folks love helping out one another!

Big thanks to everyone who took the time to create helpful replies to this thread and welcome a new member to the community :)