Powertech PVP Video @ 20 as Advanced Proto spec in Huttball

taugrimtaugrim

On YouTube:

On my blog: http://taugrim.com/2011/12/20/swtor-bounty-hunter-powertech-pvp-video-20-as-advanced-prototype-spec-in-huttball/

This is my first gameplay / guide video for the Powertech advanced class in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Powertech is the mirror class to the Trooper Vanguard, so the material covered in this video is relevant to players of either class.

The video provides detailed educational commentary on Powertech's single-target and AOE damage mechanics, CC abilities, defensive tactics, and analysis of match play in Huttball.

I queued solo for this match and finished with 273k damage, 51 kills, 23 killing blows, 2 solo kills, and 15k Protection.

Also included is a clip of my 20 Powertech soloing a 28 Trooper Commando (at 35% health) and 28 Jedi Consular Sage.

Here is the spec used in the video:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/powertech/#::f20efe2f5ef4e2f21

Comments / Errata:

1. I sometimes referred to Powertech abilities by their counterpart Vanguard names. E.g. Mortar Volley instead of Death From Above, Gut instead of Retractable Blade

2. the Jedi Consular who punted me was Shadow not Sage spec'd

3. one thing I didn't mention was Neural Dart. As a Taunt, it debuffs your target's damage by 30% against any friendly except for you

To see me PVP'ing live, check out the streaming schedule on TwitchTV. My stream features real-time narration and commentary - and to the extent possible interaction with the Chat Room.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Thank you so much!

I've been watching videos the past couple days to decide class between playing early release. It seemed every really good video I ran across was yours.

Seriously, exactly what I was looking for. Great commentary, not annoying sounding or dumb. Comments on the gameplay, tactics, overall feel of class and how it plays all good stuff and helpful.

Video editing was not jarring, was smooth to watch and follow. Written tips on screen made it easier to remember.

All around great. I wanted pvp gameplay with commentary and a bit of education about the class. Keep it up please.

I've been watching videos the past couple days to decide class between playing early release. It seemed every really good video I ran across was yours.

Seriously, exactly what I was looking for. Great commentary, not annoying sounding or dumb. Comments on the gameplay, tactics, overall feel of class and how it plays all good stuff and helpful.

Glad to hear it.

Video editing was not jarring, was smooth to watch and follow. Written tips on screen made it easier to remember.

Thanks for the feedback re: the written tips.

That's something I started doing with my SWTOR videos, so it's good to hear they are helpful.

damn this is going to be a noob question but for the life of me i can't figure out how to expand the skill bar like you have

Preferences -> User Interface -> Quickbars -> Enable the Bottom Center / Left / Right

sweet thanks - so should powertech - placing points in shield use armor with cunning/endurance

Aim is the primary stat for BH's.

For PVP you do want to have a healthy amount of Endurance.

I haven't had time yet to sort out what ratio to get between the two, but I've been doing 50/50.

hey m8 , question ? why do u use the pyro tech instead of adv proto ? i currently am planning on adv proto but ur dps made me hesitant about my decision :confused:

All 3 trees are very effective in PVP.

Pyrotech provides heavy DoT capability (which opens up Rail Shot) and proc-snare effects. So it's great for kiting and running down opponents.

Advanced Proto provides strong short range (0-10m) capability in terms of damage.

I personally prefer AP because I want to get in the grill of healers and casters and pressure the heck out of them, and with the emphasis on 10m attacks that's plenty of range to kite melees between 5-9m (against JK/SW) and 5-10m (against Shadow/Assassin).

Play the tree that suits you. They all have excellent mechanics.

He is AP...

But Tau, you should definately do a pyro video. I honestly think its more your playstyle. Gives you more flexibility to kite at range where needed, but still get in the face of casters.

Advanced Proto fits me like a glove.

I won't try Pyrotech without a good reason because I don't want to start increasing my respec costs.

My plan is to level with AP and try Shield Tech at higher levels.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

I run as Shieldtech, and have a blast. Level 30 here, the combo between having grapple, and Jet Charge is a lot of fun. Especially since Jet Charge is on a 15 second cooldown, between that and grapple people cannot run.

Great video though, Look forward to watching more, make me want to try AP but like you said, got to keep those respec costs down!

Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor. I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well, still have a piece or 2 i havnt been able to replace at 30. So not only does the occasional pvp while leveling provide a great opportunity to learn your class, also helps with your gear!

I run as Shieldtech, and have a blast. Level 30 here, the combo between having grapple, and Jet Charge is a lot of fun. Especially since Jet Charge is on a 15 second cooldown, between that and grapple people cannot run.

Great video though, Look forward to watching more, make me want to try AP but like you said, got to keep those respec costs down!

Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor. I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well, still have a piece or 2 i havnt been able to replace at 30. So not only does the occasional pvp while leveling provide a great opportunity to learn your class, also helps with your gear!

You can practically get that many medals just by making sure you always have Guard on someone as well

Also, Powertechs appear to gear faster in PvP than any other class because of how many medals we are able to get, i consistently get 6-8, which means more commendations and valor

If you PVP frequently, you'll cap out your Valor Rank to your Level regardless of class.

I've found that 6 of the 8 ACs are fairly straightforward for getting 6-8 medals. Just the Warrior archetypes have a rougher go at it.

I have also found that the PvP gear at 20 was excellent for leveling as well!

Absolutely, since they don't have the Expertise stat. And given that there are multiple pieces for each slot, you can pick the appropriate one for PVE.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

I've been looking for a vid like this for a while! I'm also rolling an advanced prototype, but I'm new to MMO's and am still trying to master the control scheme in general. I'm all over the place when it comes to the order of my abilities, heat buildup, situational ability selection, movement, etc.

Have any tips for someone like me in terms of the basics (macros, timing, even stuff I'm obviously not even aware of) for this class? Again, great video and thanks for any input.

...Now I'm going to go watch that video 20 more times and take some notes, heh...

FYI, the past few days I've been trying the following:

1. Advanced Proto with Ion Gas Cylinder

2. Shield Tech with Ion Gas Cylinder

3. Advanced Proto with High Energy Gas Cylinder

The first gives Guard capability with good damage and interrupt / pull capability.

The second is durable, has Grapple-root, but burst and sustained is mediocre.

The third as expected provides the most punch in terms of burst and sustained damage with interrupt / pull capability, but no Guard.

Obviously you can switch stances but with the 1.5-sec cast time and the highly mobile nature of Powertech PVP, switching Cylinders mid-combat isn't as fluid as it is with the other tank ACs.

Have any tips for someone like me in terms of the basics (macros, timing, even stuff I'm obviously not even aware of) for this class? Again, great video and thanks for any input.

...Now I'm going to go watch that video 20 more times and take some notes, heh...

That's pretty broad in scope, and I haven't yet published a written Guide yet.

What you can do is check out the previous streams to see the playstyle and commentary and/or join a scheduled stream to ask me questions in real-time between matches.

Hahaha yeah I'll give you that; I'll definitely be tuning in to your stream.

I guess my simplest problem with PT/AP right now is that it's so flexible it's almost ambiguous. I have no idea when to DPS or when to tank, or when to be ranged or when to melee. Using these techniques as situational responses seems very complicated, and I wouldn't be able to focus on specific attributes in the ability tree or equipment in order to amplify my core tactics.

Say you're soloing, what's your go-to sequence of opening moves for a standard mob? Do you find yourself more often tanking or DPS when in a group?

Edited by NoDayLkeDoomsday

Cool video. Like someone else said, the text was helpful. I was gonna ask about grapple but then realized you didn't have it yet. I've been going back and forth between ion and high energy but I think I'll try ion again and bind guard.

I'll def check out the stream.