Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Suggestion] Crew Skill Crafting Trees

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Suggestion] Crew Skill Crafting Trees

Eortotai
01.21.2012 , 03:34 PM | #1
DISCLAIMER:

Let me start off by saying I don't want to step on anyone's toes with this. This was written by me, but I have picked up small, albeit great, ideas from random other threads/posts. I have searched for a few, and will give credit where it is due. If you have have already posted an idea I have written elsewhere, please know I did not intentionally plagiarize your work.

That being said, if this belongs in a different area of the forums, feel free to move it. It just ties in deeply with Crew Skills and I think it will reach the desired audience the best in this forum.

SUGGESTION:

On to the suggestion. As the thread title states, I have an idea that I believe would greatly increase the fun, motivation, and rewards (both credit and item rewards) for all players, involved in crafting or not. The idea I have for this already very good crafting system is Crew Skill Crafting Trees. The inspiration for this comes from many hours and credits spent crafting, gathering and reverse engineering, and the much frustration of not knowing if I will get anything for REing this specific item.

Before I came across Slaign's excellent guide to Reverse Engineering, I had many uncertainties regarding REing. I didn't know if the "Blue" level schematic I bought from my trainer could be REd, I didn't know if my Purple Overkill schematic could be REd to get another prefix with more stats, and I didn't know if you could RE schematics from Purple to Orange. This excellent thread answered so many questions for me, and I think it's invaluable knowledge for any crafter. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest you run over and check it out.

In fact, there's nothing to be lost and everything to be gained by reading all the stickies in the crew skill forum.

EXECUTION:

This idea would not have an effect on Gathering crew skills, only Crafting Crew Skills. The idea is that it would be similar to our existing Ability Trees, and would be a hybrid with the existing Crew Skill window. As of now, when we click on a schematic we own, it opens a (largely empty and just begging for more content ) partition on the right side of the window which shows what materials we need for that recipe. My idea for the new crew skill window is that it will still list all the available recipes we own, but the text displayed in the list will only be that of the base item no matter what color it is. The list will still be able to be sorted by difficulty and level.

In the new system, however, when you click on a schematic in your Crew Skill window, it will now open a Crafting Tree on the right side of your window! This tree will start with the lowest schematic you have of the item. For the purpose of simplicity and ease of understanding, we will start with a base Green schematic that you just bought from your Crew Skill trainer. You open your crew skill window and click on the new item's name in your craftable schematics as you do now. However, it will now open a crafting tree instead of the nearly empty "Materials Required" window. At the bottom of the tree will be a full-color picture of the item with a Green outline.This will be the only schematic on that tier.

Above the thumbnail of the Green item will be three next-tier schematics of the item, aka "Blue level." These three schematics will have the prefixes of Overkill, Critical, and Redoubt. However, because you have not REd the green item yet, these pictures will be "greyed out" and not full-color pictures. When you mouse over them, you will see the new stats of that item and you can also see what materials you need for this item! This allows you to send out your other companions that aren't crafting on missions for the materials you will need, or you can start investing in materials from the GTN for when you achieve your new schematic.

You now begin crafting your Green level item, and after a while crafting the item and Reverse Engineering it several times, you get the message that you have now learned the Schematic for the "Overkill" level of that item! You rejoice, and you are happy. That's because it probably took you 50 REs.

Now when you open your crafting tree for that item, you see that your Overkill schematic is now longer "greyed out" and you are able to craft your new Overkill Blue-level item! You already knew what materials you needed from being able to view it in your tree, so you can start crafting your new item right away!

Now above your Overkill schematic you can see the five Tier 2 Prefix Purple schematics! The prefixes for all schematics are covered in Slaign's REing guide. This rule will apply to all schematics, whether they were Green, Blue or Purple level when you bought/learned them. You will ALSO not be able to learn the same schematic twice! If you get a new schematic, it WILL be one you have not learned yet. This will make it much, much less frustrating to RE items only to get the same schematic, quite possibly a stat that doesn't benefit the class that the item is meant for, out of hundreds of REs.

BENEFITS:

I greatly believe that this will encourage more players to RE items if they know for sure they can get something from it! If you have a tree for each item (which they must already have some hidden form of) you can see if you're wasting your materials or if you can actually get the item you want to. I know that you find out a lot of what you can and can't do in Slaign's guide; however, I would wager that a large percentage (80%...?) of players don't read the forums in depth, and an even higher percentage may have not been so lucky to read this guide. Therefore, most players still don't know what you can gain from REing items.

Having crafting trees would solve this problem, and encourage more people to continue to RE, to continue to send their crew out for more materials, and to list more materials for sale on the GTN due to increased demand for materials. I think it has the capacity to make crafting much more lucrative; if you can see the schematic right there under your nose on your tree, you will keep trying to get it (especially if you know you can't get the same schematic twice)! I strongly believe that this change would benefit player's gear, crafting levels, and the overall economy very strongly! I also strongly believe it would decrease the frustration of crafting and reverse engineering by an order of magnitude.

I love "Crew-Skilling" already, and find it quite addicting. I also think this change/addition would be quite awesome and make this crafting system very unique and very intuitive!

CONCLUSION:

This is a work in progress, and if you have a suggestion or a change that you think will improve this proposition, please don't hesitate to post it. I will not hesitate to give you credit in the OP! I think this has the potential to be a great idea and I think it would be a great implementation in-game. If we can gain support for this, let's hope Bioware takes notice! First let's see how this goes.

I also hope it was easy to read and understand, even it's a bit of an intimidating length.

Special Thanks:

To Slaign for his excellent guide on Reverse Engineering.

To Hanak, who gave me the initial idea for "crafting trees" and inspiration to come up with a design and elaborate on it.

To the entire forum community for voicing your excellent ideas and bringing change about to the game we all love.

To the awesome forum-watchers at Bioware who pay great attention to what your community is asking for!
Extirpation

Sith Sorcerer
Malgane

coldcite
01.21.2012 , 03:59 PM | #2
Yeah, something like that would be awesome!
Take a look at the link of my sig.

Eortotai
01.21.2012 , 04:02 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by coldcite View Post
Yeah, something like that would be awesome!
Take a look at the link of my sig.
Hm, I like what I read in your post! It has the potential to work quite well with the Crafting Trees!
Extirpation

Sith Sorcerer
Malgane

YvanAquino
01.22.2012 , 09:16 AM | #4
This is exactly what I had in mind, I would love to see something like implemented. The only difference in between this and a "map" is that a map would be visually driven.

This sort of change would only require a change to the UI and not the crafting system in an of itself.

Eortotai
01.22.2012 , 10:34 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by YvanAquino View Post
Let's bring this post back, it sounds just like my crafting map idea. This would definitely be awesome!
I appreciate your positive feedback!
Extirpation

Sith Sorcerer
Malgane

Eortotai
02.05.2012 , 02:27 AM | #6
Any more discussion on this? I still think it could bring some things to the table that the crafting is sorely missing in this game. It would also fit well with a different progression element than a RNG as previous posters have said.
Extirpation

Sith Sorcerer
Malgane