Powertech tanks: need assistance

Zeerek

Hello, am currently a i243 powertech tank. Recently, I had issues in a few master modes where I lost threat on adds to burst dpers, so I consulted my guild mates. They suggested swapping out my warding B mods, to lethal B mods.

So I did.. and let me tell you.. wasn't fun. Ran athiss MM, pocket op healer, and the Beast of VK boss chunked me... HARD. were talking 20-30% hp gone in a few hits. I feel theres something im doing wrong so...

so, my question to all the powertech tanks out there is: WHY does everyone suggest lethal B over warding? and HOW do you make the lethal mods work with the damage intake on bosses?

Losing 1k-1.5k defence rating wouldn't have had such an effect.

Defense rating has nothing to do with how much damage you take. It only gives you a chance to take no damage at all. By swapping mods out you lose at worst 5-7% Defense chance, it's nothing.

Also, losing 20-30% at once is perfectly fine. How much total health do you have? If it's on a lower side, then some hits might feel huge percentage-wise. At the very least you should have 135k health, if we are talking augmented 248+ gear.

P.S. Just noticed you said 20-30% in a few hits. Certain bosses, especially in Nim can almost one-shot the tank, even when he is full geared, has a correct rotation and uses defenses. It's normal. That's what healers are for - they should help you survive huge hits by pre-casting bubble/HoTs on you and healing you up after the hit happens.

Edited by Equeliber

im i243, with mostly i246 mods and enchancements… ive got around 120k plus change. the boss im talking about specifically is the Beast of Vodal Kresh in Athiss MM. he literally chunked me. my friend, who is my pocket Operative healer, linked me his star parse and he healed me more in that run than he ever has had to.

again, I don't know if its ME at fault for messing something up, or if its the way im gearing.

defensive stats, from character page, buffed, no stim, with LETHAL B mods:

item level:243

Armor:13535

Health: 124,180

Damage reduction: 52.47%

Defense chance: 25.78%

Shield chance:49.64%

Absorb chance: 48.64%

With WARDING b mods: increase Defense chance to 31.78%

PS: armoring in my gear is still i240 for my set bonuses, haven't found any higher ones yet

Edited by Zeerek

You're also talking about an Operative Healer. They are really good at heals-over-time which means their parse numbers can be deceptively high. Bosses that have burst damage to Tanks are countered by a combination of you using your Defensive Cooldowns effectively and responsive burst-healing

The latter of which is not something Operatives are especially known for providing.

Your stats are fine.

I would suggest trying it again with a different group. It's hard to determine who is actually at fault, but Athiss is a relatively easy MM fp, and a tank with decent shield/absorb (which you have) should be fine.

MM Flashpoints do need everyone to do their jobs, so raid failures can be any of the roles falling down on the job.

That's one reason to pug it once in a while. You get a better idea if raid failures are your fault or not.

You can get bad healers with great parses, same as you can get bad dps who parse well but aren't attacking the right targets.

in my experience the people that suggest going for damage or endurance instead of mitigation rely on their healers. for pugs it is hard to say, since half the community will call you a nub no matter what you choose...

in my experience the people that suggest going for damage or endurance instead of mitigation rely on their healers. for pugs it is hard to say, since half the community will call you a nub no matter what you choose...

That could be true for tanks who go as far as get alacrity and crit (and still, it's not) but defense amount on 258 gear is just waaay too high. You are hurting yourself if you don't change to power.

The difference in mitigation between 2k and 4 k defense is negligible (and anyway, it's DCDs that mitigate most of the important attacks, not stats). While the difference between having 2k extra power and not having it is much more noticable.

Another way to look at it: people cleared Nims while tanking in 242 gear. Why would you need more tank stats than what we had back then? Especially, as healers also became stronger with new gear. Even if you are not "relying" on your healers, it is still true that you are allowed to take more damage (and again, you won't, even with 2k power and 700 crit). Following tactics and using right DCDs at the right time is infinitely more important for your survival and DTPS than even thousands of stats.

Edited by Equeliber