Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard DPS?

NitroFourD
08.20.2017 , 04:41 AM | #1
Is vanguard a good DPS yes or no? I really want to know
-The Nitro4D

SWTOR referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/5k99bd
Info about referral link : http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

JHeezey
08.21.2017 , 08:35 PM | #2
Coming from a DPS Vanguard main (Tactics) in full 248 gear:

No, this class is not worth your time as DPS (or tank for that matter). We're strictly average in PvE and we bring nothing to the table that other classes cannot do better. In PvP we are garbage-tier due to our poor defensive abilities and should actually be banned from participating in ranked warzones as we are insta-deleted by the enemy team (and there is absolutely nothing we, nor our team can do about it).

So, if you want to be an average DPS in Ops and never play ranked warzones, then VG DPS is for you. If you want to enjoy this game, and not hate yourself, then roll a sentinel or commando for DPS.

Take this from someone who has sunk far too many hours into this class: don't do it. BW has shown us that they could care less about this class.

Hope this helped...

Exocor
08.21.2017 , 09:26 PM | #3
VG DPS are viable for every DPS check ingame. In other words: VG Tactics is one of the classes, you can take 4 of in every encounter and won't run into major problems. Not many classes can say that about themselves.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!

NitroFourD
08.21.2017 , 11:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JHeezey View Post
Coming from a DPS Vanguard main (Tactics) in full 248 gear:

No, this class is not worth your time as DPS (or tank for that matter). We're strictly average in PvE and we bring nothing to the table that other classes cannot do better. In PvP we are garbage-tier due to our poor defensive abilities and should actually be banned from participating in ranked warzones as we are insta-deleted by the enemy team (and there is absolutely nothing we, nor our team can do about it).

So, if you want to be an average DPS in Ops and never play ranked warzones, then VG DPS is for you. If you want to enjoy this game, and not hate yourself, then roll a sentinel or commando for DPS.

Take this from someone who has sunk far too many hours into this class: don't do it. BW has shown us that they could care less about this class.

Hope this helped...
This helped alot! Thanks!
-The Nitro4D

SWTOR referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/5k99bd
Info about referral link : http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

shyroman
08.21.2017 , 11:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Exocor View Post
VG DPS are viable for every DPS check ingame. In other words: VG Tactics is one of the classes, you can take 4 of in every encounter and won't run into major problems. Not many classes can say that about themselves.
Yeah pretty much this, on some fights with lots of constant incoming damage, pt's are one of the best dps with energy shield as well as close and personal. Dummy parses don't show the true potential of this class in pve due to the dps it gains through utilities. In pvp? Yeah it has very weak dcd's and is one of the weakest classes, but in pve it is a very good class at the moment, and both specs are in a good spot dps wise as well.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Jedi Covenant

blinkerathome
08.22.2017 , 03:22 AM | #6
Vanguards and Powertechs are totally fine for pve content. (And with fine I mean in a very good position!)
We currently are in the position that taking a powertech/vanguard into a group is something that is actually liked by most people.

Tactics/Adv. Prototype is a very good burst spec and you will do good damage with reliable outcome. The spec itself is easy to play and rewards you with good dps even with short time after learning. With some extra time and game knowledge you will do very good damage and fight for the top dps spot in the group in many of the fights.

Plasmatech/Pyrotech is the dot based spec for our class. While I do think that it was a valuable spec before the damage buff to it, it now is even more.

I advise everyone to first go and play Tactics/Adv. Prototype and then go for Plasmatech/Pyrotech. T./A.P. is fine for every boss fight in the game and there is no urgent need in a normal group to go P./P. but for your own amusement and some additional dps go try and play it. It feels weird at first coming from super easy T./A.P. but the joy it brings is worth it.

To what JHeezey is saying: Either you lack a lot of skill or you're just trolling. Vanguard/Powertechs performance in pve is absolutely fine for the last years. And pointing him to roll fotm is really not what you should do. Commando/Mercenary dps is now the junk class of current pve with the immense amount of nerfs. Granted, for skilled players they just go to use A.S./I.O. or compensate with superior knowledge of the fight, but let's face it: How many are doing that and how many are giving up on their class?

tldr: Vanguard/Powertech is very good for pve. It is not the flavour of the month but it does greater then average dps on both specs if played properly and the buff to pyrotech even allows us to play 2 different specs in endgame pve now without sacrificing group dps.
'Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping
on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts.'

Referral code Click for goodies.

Simplette
08.22.2017 , 03:40 AM | #7
You cannot cheese DPS on PT like you could before with Reflexive Armor. Not the best melee DPS. Not the easiest (Scoundrel is easier). But has high utility in a lot of encouters.
Conquerer of Deposer

Pre-nerf post-buff Revanchist

The Izaxchist

JHeezey
08.22.2017 , 04:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by blinkerathome View Post
To what JHeezey is saying: Either you lack a lot of skill or you're just trolling. Vanguard/Powertechs performance in pve is absolutely fine for the last years. And pointing him to roll fotm is really not what you should do. Commando/Mercenary dps is now the junk class of current pve with the immense amount of nerfs. Granted, for skilled players they just go to use A.S./I.O. or compensate with superior knowledge of the fight, but let's face it: How many are doing that and how many are giving up on their class?
My point exactly: why settle for a class that is inherently limited to a subset of SWTOR's content? Why not pick a DPS class that can actually have fun in a competitive PvP match - and PvE well? You are immediately limiting yourself by picking this class.

No argument here that VG is "fine" in PvE - I am typically top DPS on HM raids (but I attribute that to the disparity in gear between myself and my guildmates, not my class). Again, why settle for fine? We bring nothing unique to the table in PvE. Our debuffs that improve raid DPS are shared with other classes and we have no raid buff ourselves. We lack something to make us distinctive.

If you like the look and playstyle of VG, then sure go enjoy PvE. Just know that there may come a day when you realize that other melee DPS classes can do what you are doing better - and that your PvP experience is going to be highly limited.

Finally, the commando was a recommendation for PvP due to their FotM DCD shenanigans. In retrospect, I would agree that recommending FotM was not the right thing to do. My apologies.

TrickMastah
08.23.2017 , 03:10 PM | #9
It's average. There are classes than can do better, but I couldn't care less. They're my favourite class anyway.
Click HERE to get 7 Free Days Subscription, a Free Character Transfer and Free Item Bundles!!
There is Freedom in Life, there is Purpose in Death, the Force is all things and I am the Force