Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard/PT dead in 5.0?

Sojorn
12.06.2016 , 10:56 AM | #1
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since the release of 5.0 I have tried many different talent set ups and strategies for PVP and all I can say is UGHHH!!

The devs have stated in the preview that 4.0 van/pts where in a good spot and very versatile, and they were right, however when you update classes and continually neglect/nerf others it does create a very wide gap that as of right now I will say can't be over come.

Going back to the beginning of the game van/pt was a 30 meter class our trade off was we had the defensives of a ranged class. Basically two, reactive shield and kolto overload. The devs have continuously moved us to a more melee class, which is fine however we only have the same cool downs we did when we were a 30 meter class. Which was again fine with the amount of damage and pressure we could put out. In 5.0 I currently have resorted to pillar humping and fringe fighting. The front line class we once were is gone my friends.

I find myself using hold the line trying to run for los instead of chasing people down, with all the movement that other classes have and other abilities I believe we are an antique relic that can safely be hung up on the wall. We are the only class left in the game outside of snipers, which are a ranged class with a class based cc immunity mechanic, that has no anti tunneling ability. If you have stepped foot in a 4v4 you have undoubtably recognized this. For the last two expansions Van/PT are the focus for any team, we get tunneled over any other class. And before anyone says it yes even over a sniper/slinger or a merc/commando.

My Vanguard was my first toon, my first Elite Warlord, and a ton of fun even through the fiasco of 2.0, but this is the worst I can ever remember the class being.

To those of you I have had the pleasure of pvping with and against on Ajunta Pall, Bastion, PoT5 and Ebon Hawk I salute you. I will be retiring from Vanguard/PT the class just holds no place for me anymore moved closer and closer to melee but keeping the current defenses is a direction I do not agree with or wish to see the class go.

To those of you sticking with the class I wish you nothing but success and prosperity.

Sojo

Glower
12.09.2016 , 05:40 PM | #2
PT tanks are OK in 5.0, but tactics and pyro, man i dont know. Even our over-nerfed utility is still nerfed. I mean it is still 3% HP per missile... 3% HP...

Quote: Originally Posted by Sojorn View Post
I believe we are an antique relic that can safely be hung up on the wall.
The best description of 5.0 Powertechs and Vanguards
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"; Summer 2018 PvP changes - finally, Bioware delivers...

Aetideus
12.10.2016 , 04:28 AM | #3
Looks a bit dire.

PT DPS has not much to offer currently.

TalonVII
12.10.2016 , 09:43 AM | #4
EA took a big dump over PT/VGs, this patch. If they really want that ranged tank, give back the 30m range. Wasn't OP in the least, or hell even 15-20m would be nice.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

ExeErdna
12.10.2016 , 07:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
EA took a big dump over PT/VGs, this patch. If they really want that ranged tank, give back the 30m range. Wasn't OP in the least, or hell even 15-20m would be nice.
Also they need to rebuff riot gas/oil slick since making it reduce accuracy by 15% instead of the original 30% is laughable when DPS and tank accuracy are at 110% which leave it at 95% which mean we're still getting hit. While Sniper / Slinger's version is untouched, in fact it got buffed with that legendary utility which increase armor penetration with each toon effected.

It seems like somebody really don't like this class because it gets weaker and weaker for no reason.

xAWACSx
12.11.2016 , 09:32 PM | #6
Agree, hit 70 with my vanguard and in PvP I feel weak when playing tactics or plasmatech.

Indurin
12.12.2016 , 08:06 AM | #7
I know you guys are mostly talking about pvp, but i'm finding my vanguard tank to be very weak in pve as well. Comparing it to my guardian, I have half the defensive cd's and none of the offense. I have played various iterations of the vanguard, starting at launch to now, and can state that vanguard in 5.0 is easily the worst it's ever been.

On my guardian, I can jump into a group of difficult enemies and be reasonably confident i'm going to win. While it doesn't compare to a dps class, he can also deal out enough damage that even without a companion, things die in a reasonable amount of time. His cd's are useful in several situations, and when I use one or two, they actually make a difference.

Now for my vanguard.. his damage is horrible. I understand that he's a tank and shouldn't be as concerned with dps, but I am completely dependent on my companion for damage. It was fine in the lower levels, but at 70 it's just ridiculous. The only defensive cd's I have are riot gas, adrenaline rush and reactive shield, which don't make much of a difference when I actually need them. Battle Focus is now offensive based.

I enjoy the concept of vanguard. In a world full of jedi and sith, I liked being just another trooper. But try as I might, I can't get into it this time. It's too weak all around.

stoopicus
12.12.2016 , 08:37 AM | #8
Meanwhile, Mercs in PvP are now tankier than my Immortal Jugg. I'm pretty new to PvP in swtor but even I can tell it's pretty lopsided at the moment.

Mytrae
12.12.2016 , 08:44 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by stoopicus View Post
Meanwhile, Mercs in PvP are now tankier than my Immortal Jugg. I'm pretty new to PvP in swtor but even I can tell it's pretty lopsided at the moment.
Merc is fine, just feel immortal when your bad and you cant stop dps and wait theyr cd fade

About PT, theyr now like the merc in 4.0, no real CD, squishy like a sorc, main focus in every ranked even as tank... Merc and PT are based on same class, why add a defensive CD to one and let the other with nothing ? thats make no sense, PT with reflect would be great and not unfair, if ppl are bad they will keep hitting you and healing you, if theyr not, you'll die. fair enough for both side

MrNoName
12.12.2016 , 10:39 AM | #10
PT's/VG's just need the same defensive ability/utility as Merc/Commando. Doesn't make any sense for them to not have it, especially since now all the abilities are melee range.
█_____/_/_/█ΞΞΞΞΞŽ ------------
_/__/-╜ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|_|