Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Improve tanking abilities for Powertech and Vanguard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Improve tanking abilities for Powertech and Vanguard

Zartelion
09.24.2017 , 08:07 PM | #11
I've posted our feedback there: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...78#post9421878

Now, let's keep fingers crossed, they will hear us.

blinkerathome
09.25.2017 , 09:07 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zartelion View Post
I've posted our feedback there: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...78#post9421878

Now, let's keep fingers crossed, they will hear us.
That is your feedback. Not 'our feedback'.
'Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping
on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts.'

Referral code Click for goodies.

Zartelion
09.25.2017 , 01:26 PM | #13
This is the feedback of all people, who want to participate.

You are welcome to propose something. I'll edit the post and add your suggestion/s.

DDaMAGEr
09.27.2017 , 07:55 AM | #14
Tomorrow l had a SnV HM run with my Main Vanguard in the tank role. Titan 6 started to launch grenades, and l mitigated 3 of them pretty normally with Reactive Shield - Advanced Polybiotic Shield Adrenal - Reactive Shield. But when it came to 4-th... l'd absolutely nothing to mitigate, a few second just remained for Adv Poly Shield Adrenal for me to l could activate it.
https://i.imgur.com/zmMFNqp.jpg
See there. That was pretty the HIT. It's nuff said that grenade if heavier than my Main's girlish body. My girlish body was literally opened for clobbering with no even littlest defense, and l could do nuffin w it?! If it was NiM or l had worse gear the OP might be as good as bust. While Guardians/Shadows have surely stuff to cheese that, especially Shadow with resilience, Guardian can cheese with Blade Blitz & proper timing.

Vanguards/Powertech surely should have far less RNG with their shield. May also suggest utility, that reduces Consumable Adrenal Cooldown too.

phuba
09.28.2017 , 06:58 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DDaMAGEr View Post
Tomorrow l had a SnV HM run with my Main Vanguard in the tank role. Titan 6 started to launch grenades, and l mitigated 3 of them pretty normally with Reactive Shield - Advanced Polybiotic Shield Adrenal - Reactive Shield. But when it came to 4-th... l'd absolutely nothing to mitigate, a few second just remained for Adv Poly Shield Adrenal for me to l could activate it.
Sounds like you were solo tanking this, not really something you would want to do. Never had any issues myself with reactive shield not being available when doing this, just did it yesterday. With 2 tanks, timing always works out perfect, no need for adrenals.
That said, Vanguards do need a buff of some kind. Our tank cool-downs basically suck. If things go wrong, none of our cool-downs are good enough to save us from certain death.

GhOsTPrOz
09.28.2017 , 04:37 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by phuba View Post
Sounds like you were solo tanking this, not really something you would want to do. Never had any issues myself with reactive shield not being available when doing this, just did it yesterday. With 2 tanks, timing always works out perfect, no need for adrenals.
That said, Vanguards do need a buff of some kind. Our tank cool-downs basically suck. If things go wrong, none of our cool-downs are good enough to save us from certain death.

I disagree with the statement that vanguard cool downs suck. I have always said that Vanguard cool downs are some of the best for reliability. When you pop reactive Sheild you are taking about 80% less damage, with full 248 Armorings my exact number is 83.89% Less damage. If you get hit for 100k, it's now a 13191 hit instead.

I do agree however that despite the reliableness of Vanguard cool downs we could use something else. As someone who has vanguard tanked NIMs since 1.something this is my personal opinion

First I want to offer a few ways to use our current cool downs because people often don't combo them right.

Battle Focus and Riot Gas...one of the most OP cool down combos. I call it ghetto resil because you have a 55% chance to take almost no damage.

Another thing people over look is Energy Blast it boosts Absorb by 25% for 6 seconds and if played correctly can be used about every 15 seconds, that's only 11 seconds of downtime on this, so most Vanguards gear with about 45-48% Absorb. Let's take 45...with the added 25 that is 75% chance to Absorb the next few hits, add in the clicky relic and your over 80% likely. Plus it raises Sheild too my Sheild is already 50% so it boosts to about 54ish. This is pretty powerful.

My proposed new cool down

Defensive Wall - Cooldown: 2 minutes 30 seconds - Grants 5 stacks of Absorption Stabilizers causing the next direct attack to be reduced by 5k damage, 1 stack is used per direct hit, in addition increases health by 10%. Lasts 20 seconds. At the end 20 seconds each stack of Absorption Stabilizers remaining heals the target for 3% This ability can be used on other players as well.

That and a utility that raises Adrenal Rush heals up to 60% would make Vanguard tanks great again in my eyes. They would have another solid Cooldown and it would give them more utility to the raid being able to use it on anyone for example if you are about to die and the boss is low and a dps is full health Defensive wall might save them. Or the biggest problem in my guild....when scoundrel healers get NIM TFB Kephess beams (where you get between him and the pilar) it could help keep them alive.

Vanguard tank has always been more of a help the raid type of tank. They have riot gas which is a raid wide Cooldown, sonic rebounder, and transpose which I have used several times in raids btw...mostly for silly stuff, popping hold the line and transposing a out of position DPS on Revan HM so he wouldn't get pushed out and die....transposing a bad tank on NIM Tyrans to the correct tile so he doesn't drop simp in the wrong place...XD

Anyway that's my 2 cents.
<Tragic Heroes> <Don't Tell Me What To Do> -Star Forge
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

Zartelion
09.29.2017 , 02:45 AM | #17
Thank you, GhOsTPrOz!

I added your feedback and proposal to the main post in suggestion box section.

Zartelion
10.03.2017 , 08:49 PM | #18
So, if seems noone from bioware team not only wants to hear us, but even don't bother to type a few words as a feedback to our suggestions.

That's bad.

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for posting your ideas!

Exocor
10.03.2017 , 09:30 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by GhOsTPrOz View Post
First I want to offer a few ways to use our current cool downs because people often don't combo them right.

Battle Focus and Riot Gas...one of the most OP cool down combos. I call it ghetto resil because you have a 55% chance to take almost no damage.

Another thing people over look is Energy Blast it boosts Absorb by 25% for 6 seconds and if played correctly can be used about every 15 seconds, that's only 11 seconds of downtime on this, so most Vanguards gear with about 45-48% Absorb. Let's take 45...with the added 25 that is 75% chance to Absorb the next few hits, add in the clicky relic and your over 80% likely. Plus it raises Sheild too my Sheild is already 50% so it boosts to about 54ish. This is pretty powerful.
Just to clarify some things here: I heard many Powertech and Vanguard-Tanks saying, that Energy Blast is some kind of dcd. In my opininion, it just makes a good situation - something gets shielded - better, by increasing the amount of damage, that gets absorbed. However, shielding with it's ~50% is far away from being reliable. From my perspective, a defensive cooldown must be reliable. I need to know, when I use it, that I will definetly receive less damage from the specific attack as if I don't use it.

So, the next problem on VG/PT-Tank is Battle Focus and Riot Gas. Combined together, they are as strong as shadows deflection or guardians saber ward against MR-Attacks. As a stand-alone-dcd they are not as reliable as I want them to be. Battle Focus just boosts defense chance by 35%. So, with a 30%-Defense-built, you will just get up to ~65%. For comparison: Shadow gets his "immortality to MR-damage" with deflection be reaching above 80% Defense Chance. Mathematically, you need Riot Gas to reach the same numbers.
Battle Focus also is funny versus FT-Damage. Do I have to talk about reliability here?

However, VG/PT currently has it's own style, so my suggestions would be:

1. Bring Riot Gas back to where it came from. 30% MR-Accuracy reduction for everything standing inside.
2. Making Transpose a bit more useful. It should be useable while moving and makes you and the transposed target immune to all damage. Maybe increase it's cooldown.
3. Put a little DR on Hold the Line. Maybe 15% or 20%? Many other classes - including the other tanks - have defensives on their movement-skills, so why not here?
4. Make the current mercs/mandos adrenaline rush a trooper/bounty-hunter utility.

I hope, these suggestions will help. I always liked to play VG/PT-tank and have great memories of our Revan-HM-progress, but I switched to Shadow/Sin as we started to do NiM-Content back in early 2016.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!