Game freezes the PC

MalteseCorsair

I am trying to play the game through Steam, but for some reason, after 10-15 minutes of play the game freezes and there is nothing I can do except hard reset the PC. I have Windows 10, intel i5 2.8 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, and NVidia 1050Ti graphics. I used to play as a free to play player without any problems. But for some reason, I am having trouble with the steam version of the game. And I need steam to subscribe to the game. Could someone kindly help please?

Usually, if the game freezes after 10 minutes or more, it's a sign of overheating. Open the machine up and clean the dust out. Make sure all fans are working properly.

You can also clear the CMOS or load Default settings into the BIOS to make sure nothing is running out of spec. (Check the manual for howto.)

Is it a pre-built machine or did you build it yourself. What's the brand and model of the computer, or motherboard?

Also, check that ALL your drivers are up to date. (Although driver problems usually happen quicker.)

Oops let me apologize humbly for replying so late. I am so sorry.

@ SteveTheCynic: Well sir, I only have a net banking option and no credit/debit card in my name. And SWTOR only has credit/debit card and paypal as options.I do not know if I can get a paypal account in my country either. I can, however use net banking to purchase steam wallet codes in my country and add it to steam and thus buy game time through steam sir.

@ JediQuaker: Sir, I only have a CPU fan and a GPU fan. They seem to be working okay though. I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in, makes no difference sir. Mine is an assembled machine, assembled at a shop sir. The motherboard is GIGABYTE B150M-DS3H, processor is Intel Core i5-6402P @ 2.8 GHz, GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD. And yes, my drivers are up to date sir. I installed a heat checking program called HWiNFO64 and it logged , in the motherboard section, 108 degree celsius in temperature 4, before the computer froze. Even now, after the crash and having some idle time, the temperature 4 shows up at 97 degree celsius. CPU temperature reached a max of 87 degree Celsius. VRM reached 92 degree Celsius before freezing up. I don't know what to make of the data but perhaps someone would be able to. I certainly am hoping so.

Again, apologies for the slowness in replying, I am very sorry.

There's no time requirements for replies. 🙂

You say you have "only" a CPU and GPU fan? Are there no other fans?

Without actually seeing your computer, I can't say for sure, but generally speaking you should have a fan on the rear of the case that exhausts air out of the case. For the average tower or mini-tower case, that would be a 120mm fan.

Can you link a picture (or pictures) of the inside of the computer?

In any case, it sounds like hot air is being trapped inside the case and it's internal temperature is getting too high. A couple of ways you can reduce the temperature:

- set SWTOR to "vsync" enabled to reduce the frame rate.

- set the graphics down a bit to reduce the heat produced by the GPU.

But of course, adding a rear exhaust fan would be best. (Possibly, maybe, depends. 🙂 )

@ JediQuaker: Thank you sir, you are being most kind. But it was certainly amiss of me to not check in for replies earlier. In fact I didn't get any email notifications at all.

http://i.imgur.com/9w0UZUb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CZ90jfW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4ry2LR1.jpg

Ugh I don't know how to set up the link so that the pics display here itself. sorry. I am a noob! bah!

Sir, the only other fan in my PC is the power supply fan, no other fans in the cabinet. In fact I never had a PC with an extra cabinet fan!

If you are having trouble with the images, please do tell. I just don't know how I can set it up to display the pics directly in the thread sir

@ JediQuaker: I enabled v-sync and pushed down the graphics options to the minimum and happily played for about 45 minutes or so. Thank you so much sir. I still see the temperature 4 of the motherboard as 101 degree Celsius though. I need to take the PC to a tech to have the CPU and GPU heat sinks cleaned. Maybe that is a problem too. Again sir, thank you so much for guiding me through this, I seem to be able to play okay now.

From the look of the pictures, the computer is nice and clean inside.

I've seen setups like yours before. The power supply fan should exhaust air out the back of the case. But, make sure the rear of the power supply is not blocked in any way and that the fan is blowing air into the power supply and out the back, not the other way around. (Not blowing air into the case.)

Also make sure the air intake vents at the front and/or bottom of the case aren't blocked.

That case does have a spot at the rear, below the power supply, where you could put a rear exhaust fan. From the holes, it looks like you could fit a 120mm or 140mm fan. So go to Best Buy, or wherever, and buy a basic 120 mm case fan and install it in the case. (Line up the holes, screw in the (usually) special screws, easy peasy.)

You should be able to find a 3/4-pin connector on the motherboard for a case fan - usually marked as something like CASE_FAN or SYS_FAN, or similar, or you could use an adapter and connect it to one of the power supply drive connectors.

Be sure to set the fan to blow air out of the case. There's usually arrows embossed on the fan's frame to indicate the direction of airflow and fan rotation. But you can also just plug it in and note which way the air blows and then mount it accordingly.

P.S. I'm am a senior citizen, but you don't have to call me 'sir'. 😊

P.P.S. While you have the case opened, use the on-board jumper (if there is one) to "clear CMOS"', or enter the BIOS and "load defaults", to make sure the CPU, etc are operating within spec. (Check the manual for howto.).

Or, you can unplug the system from the wall, remove the coin-shaped battery, press the power button (to discharge the system) and then put the battery back in.

Edited by JediQuaker

Ugh I don't know how to set up the link so that the pics display here itself.

You can't because the forum here doesn't allow "shown" embedded images. Links like you posted are just fine.

Sir, the only other fan in my PC is the power supply fan, no other fans in the cabinet. In fact I never had a PC with an extra cabinet fan!

Mine has two extra fans on the front of the case blowing in and *three* on the GPU, with another connected to (but not *on*) the CPU(1), and one on the PSU.(2)

(1) It's connected by flexible pipes that contain water, so the fan itself can be mounted to blow the hot air directly to the outside.(2)

(2) That collection is not even *close* to "extreme" on the standards on high-end gaming PCs.

@ JediQuaker: I enabled v-sync and pushed down the graphics options to the minimum and happily played for about 45 minutes or so. Thank you so much sir. I still see the temperature 4 of the motherboard as 101 degree Celsius though. I need to take the PC to a tech to have the CPU and GPU heat sinks cleaned. Maybe that is a problem too. Again sir, thank you so much for guiding me through this, I seem to be able to play okay now.

From the pictures, the heatsinks on the CPU and GPU look clean. In any case a few shots from a can of "duster" would due the trick. No need to take it to the shop.

Those motherboard temps are too high. I'd again recommend you do the clear CMOS or load BIOS defaults just to make sure the system isn't running out of spec.

Btw, I forget, but did you verify that the power supply fan is working?

@ JediQuaker: I will see what I can do about an extra fan sir. But OMG OMG I just checked the power supply fan because you told me to and it is NOT working.:eek: It is just sitting there lamely. I did take out the batter for about 30 seconds and inserted it back in sir. Btw I call everyone sir or ma'am, please don't be offended. It is just my way of talking. I didn't know you were a senior citizen, and now that you told me you are, I am definitely not going to be able to call you by your name oooo! You said installing a fan is easy-peasy but then you don't know my level of clumsiness hehe. I assume 'duster' is compressed air in a can. Can't say I have seen one of those in our computer stuff shops. The one I go to, to buy stuff has a mechanical blower thingy to clean PCs but no can of compressed air. OH again, btw, I have taken off the side panel of the cabinet now so that at least some air circulation happens.

@ SteveTheCynic: OH okay sir, I am glad posting just the link to pics is fine. You have so many fans and pipes containing water too:eek: I bet it cost a heap to get all that done sir. Ahh mine is just a low end PC I think, but I am drooling at your heat dissipating set up.